Options

The Sh*te on a Bike Thread

1141516171820»

Comments

• Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭

D74 - its the sirius I think - the expensive one that BtS bought as 'turboing is boring and I'll turbo if I have a screen to watch' .... ha ha

I'm  not sure that I understand a word of what you're saying, but I will get BtS to read your post - he's a geek too ; - )

• Options

Right,. if it's the sirrius then that's about the same as my flow.  Don't use the 'power' mode, use the incline mode, and then display power on the screen.  Start off with the bike in the outer ring and somewhere in the middel at the back, and cycle at 90-95 rpm.  Then adjsut the resistance as you cycle until the power on the screen shows 200 watts (or whatever your target is).

Re the handlebar question, then stating the obvious, but make sure you MOVE the spacer from beneath the stem to on top, and not jsut 'remove' as otherwise the forks will rattle and that would not be good. 

• Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭

200 watts!  you must be joking - that would kill me!

but thanks, I'll try that. 

• Options
    Cheers popsider - looks like I got it right!
  • Options

Right - out on the bike today for only the second time this year. 31 miles in 2.00.32 so speed hasn't improved (though it is a little windy out there) but a couple of sessions on the turbo concentrating on keeping cadence between 90 - 100 seems to have helped already as my average cadence improved. Still not great, but better and it's early days yet.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options

LMH - good session

I have only been out once this year to try my new bars out. I'll try and do more real riding this month but I'm up to two hours on the turbo now.

• Options

Stump - most I've managed on the turbo is 30 minutes, then I have to reward myself with a little run image  I was quite pleased that I could still happily get down on my tri bars today and the saddle didn't get excrutiatingly painful until I'd done an hour and a half.

I've decided that I have to be strict and focus much more on the cycling from here on in. I can make the cut off for the swim and I'm pretty sure I can drag myself round a six hour marathon if everything is still working so there's just the little matter of the 112 mile ride to deal with!

• Options

Stump - most I've managed on the turbo is 30 minutes, then I have to reward myself with a little run image  I was quite pleased that I could still happily get down on my tri bars today and the saddle didn't get excrutiatingly painful until I'd done an hour and a half.

I've decided that I have to be strict and focus much more on the cycling from here on in. I can make the cut off for the swim and I'm pretty sure I can drag myself round a six hour marathon if everything is still working so there's just the little matter of the 112 mile ride to deal with!

• Options
    Good plan LMH - is it Nice you're doing ? Turbo is ok for fitness, but not gonna help you with the bike handling that much.
  • Options
    No Cougs it's Almere so I have until the end of August.
  • Options
    Just come across this thread. Good grief I am soooooooo rubbish on the bike looking at you lot. I am half tempted to go back to my old hybrid. At least then I had an excuse.
  • Options
    Actually, I've just noticed the sub title to this thread.  Does anyone really take a week to get round the bike leg?
  • Options

Ok, my first month of bike training has been interesting, thought I'd post a few comments to see if other people have had similar encounters and to hope that I am not going mad.

Training has gone well and I've learned a number of things. Having the rear wheel try and overtake the front wheel is not a good place to be especially on a bend. Sliding round a junction on my ass while my back heads off in a different direction is equally not a good place to be. Trying to beat a PB on a certain route by trying to go round tight bends on a wet and windy day is just silly. I initially pumped my tyres up to 80 psi (on recommendation from a well intentioned friend) which left me repairing punctures almost every time I went out. I now put 115 psi in my tyres and am surprised each time I go out as I quite looked forward to a puncture for the 5 minute rest.

I obviously live in a weird part of the country as I always end up cycling into a head wind no matter which direction I am heading. I am now able to eat gels and bananas whilst cycling but must remember to look where I am going as it generally helps! All in all the cycle training is going well!image

• Options

Lee-sterine - I think you must be in the same place as me as I always encounter headwinds too!

Puncture repairing is not a bad skill to have tho'

• Options

Gels on the go? Blimey, a pro. I have to stop, find one, tear the bit off, fold it up all the way liek a toothpaste tube and put it in the bin after. I rode witha goodly tail wind for the first time ever the other day, didn't half go.

I use 120psi. And red and black tyres. Touch ood, have only punctured once, in a tri, blew me wheel bearing too. 

• Options
    Hey gang. Just looking for some reassurance about the move from a hybrid to a road bike. I borrowed a friend’s carerra to get used to the ride position so I would know what feels right/wrong when I start shopping. Went out today for a practice and really struggled on the steep hills – normally I spin up in my lowest gear sitting down. On the borrowed bike I just ran out of gears and had to get off and walk!!! I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong or if a basic road bike is just less good at going up steep hills than a hybrid. I’m a complete numty but the borrowed bike seems to have about 14 gears – a big changer for the front and 7 ring things at the back. Am I missing something or is this bike just not up for it?
  • Options
    Gyraffe -  know nothing - but am very weak on hills and a triple on the front helps!
  • Options

It's a bit like the old joke that bikes are getting worse - 40 years ago mine used to fly up hills twice as fast as the modern ones.    

• Options
    I am numpty too but believe modern stuff all 2 rings at the front and ten at the back. Triple al seems a bit complicated but with modern tech, is probably fine.
  • Options

G, firstly the bike you borrowed is quite old I would suggest as its only got a 7 speed cassette.
    Almost certainly its got a 53/39 or similar on it as the size of the front rings and your hybrid probably has a 42 big ring.

what Im getting at in essence is thatthe rodie you took out is geared completely differently to your hybrid.... Options?

Well firstly you could get a "compact" crankset on your new bike, You could even get a triple. Personally I find the chainlines run weird with triples, so would stick to a double. This uses a 50/34 chainwheels and will be closer to your hybrid setup on your current steed, and will give you more spinning gears using the 34 ring than a 39. Secondly you could change your cassette to a more mtb setup. You probably would find if you looked the biggest rear cog on the road bike was 25 or even 23 teeth whereas on your hybrid youve probably got a 27 tooth one.

In essence a proper roadbike will be faster and more efficient, as its stiffer in the right places and lighter. It will take a little getting used to, but it will be better. Either that or the tour guys should all be on hybrids, and the "king of the mountains" stage winners should be on Raleigh shoppers.image

What it boils down to is the fact your hybrid has a small front ring and a big back one, hence spinning up hills, and the roadie didnt, but you can solve it. If you struggle on climbs get a compact, and if you still struggle throw a cassette with a 27 on there. Dont let gearing put you off getting the right tool for the job. Loads of people use compacts, its what works for you that matters

• Options

Thanks Bassy that helps a lot. Will find out about compact etc.

Popsider - I'd agree with you except I caned up our lane on Friday evening on the hybrid with no problem - didn't even make it to the first bend yesterday.............

• Options

Bassy is top bike bloke and knows his stuff. Can also probably achieve escape velocity on the big ring. So if you see something strange in orbit....

I have a compact. And I need it. At the moment.... 

• Options
    boing for not particular reason