Options

Boston 2009

Comments

• Options

The UK runner's world site is frustrating! It says it has to "check" my photo before uploading it. No doubt that will be done by some work-experience guy sometime after they get back from Christmas break. Nor will they allow me to re-upload the teletubby sun without MI5 approval. Grr.

Should anyone be interested in Tom-spotting on the streets of Boston, my photo appears on my work web-page here.

RC. Our blog tastes may differ, but our training regime appears similar. Beer and biscuits for me, I'm afraid. I am hoping that being in Boston for a week will curb this. If I don't stock the minibar myself, then the amount I can drink whilst out with my family will be of no concern to me at all compared with my habits when the family fridge is at hand. Out for a 12 after porrige. I'm really looking forward to it!

• Options

L'a... that's an impressive little CV you have there! However, you're missing 'Psychology of the Long Distance Runner' image

RC... well done, go steady on the beer. I fell off the wagon last week when I had some wine a few nights in a row to help me dodge those 'life rocks'. But I'm back to the alcohol free zone now until post marathon image

Waiting for news from Canni on his race...

• Options
    Trin. Thanks for the compiment. The omission you note is because I don't know anything about long-distance running. I am not even bothering to 'identify' a target "marathon pace" this time. My instructions to myself will be, "Run about as fast as you think you can more or less maintain for 26.2 miles". Vorsprung durch technique it 'aint.
  • Options

Good news i I did my last long run of 14.1 this morning without any real problems. Got to bout 12 before popping an energy gel, and then I was off again. Lovely run round the country lanes of Warwickshire, some of the hills we go up make the Newton Hills look like speed bumps in the road  !! 

Plan for this week is 5 tomorrow, 6 on Wednesday and then 5 on Thursday morning before heading off to London for an overnight stay before flying out on Friday. Shall check out Boston Common as I would like to get a final 4 in on Saturday....

• Options

AUMD. Excellent news. Here's hoping the problems are behind you. I have a similar running schedule from now - all in Boston! See you there...

• Options

I don't know about you guys, but next week can't come quick enough. Tapering plays havoc with my inner demons and I genuinely feel like I'm not a runner, don't feel like running and that running more than 3 miles at faster than 10 minute miling may prove impossible.

However the best way of conquering these demons was to go for a 9 miler this morning - It was stunning up here with absolutely bright blue skies but crisp fresh air to keep from overheating. I now feel like a runner again.

Am going to potter around on Monday and Wednesday with a final short pyramid speed session on Tuesday to get the lungs blowing. I also intend running 5 on Friday around the Back Bay (may do the last 3 of the race) to get the flight out of my legs

Impressive CV Dr L'a - sounds like the group dynamics will be well up for analysis when we get together - My last jaunty skip through the hallowed halls of academia many years ago peaked on a piece on projective valences which sounds like it may sit within your scope. I should be able to hold a conversation with you for all of twenty seconds before I set myself up for ridicule - which will not only be well merited but will also ironically illustrate the said theory. (I've been waiting 17 years to crack that joke)

Canni - Hope your 10 miler went OK - Certainly Paula R ran a cracking 10 miler last year the week before NY so you are good Company. Just make sure that your toe doesn't get broken this week and also go to the toilet before the race.

RC - LIke you I'm worried about the old diet - I rarely touch alcohol these days due to wanting to be up bright for running; but this week has seen some dabbling. The crisp drawer and today the kid's eggs have all come within range.

AUMD - love the positive attitude towards Newton 

Trin - I think we've all now gone 24 hours without a tearjerking YouTube video - Are you coping OK? I must say I've got a sneaking urge to make one when I get back. I've already chosen the music. Still haven't posted my London deferral but I think I should.

Happy tapering everyone

• Options
    NotCat. I have just Googled projective valences. I couldn't even guess. Google was a bit mystified, too. You are the expert, my freind. You can bluff the night away and no-one will be any the wiser. Not unlike some of my teaching, as it happens. Way to be patient waiting for an appropriate joke opening, though.
  • Options
    You've now got me worried that I've imagined my entire academic achievements. Next I'll be thinking I'm a runner, whereas the truth is I only come on here as part of Canni's stalking rota.
  • Options

LOL!! NotCat... can I listen in when you have that conversation about sheets with skirts on em with L'a image

And yes, I'm coping...just about, thanks. I have to consider my hydration now anyway!

Night... I'm almost in to 'Boston time' image

• Options

Just popping in quickly to update you on my lack of progress today.  That felt truly awful.  Got round in 69:15ish (forgot to stop watch) which was just under 4 mins slower than last year and just felt crap all the way round.  I was reduced to walking a few times on a 10 miler image  I have calculated in the car on the way home though that if I was to average 9 min/mile for the last 16 miles next Monday after 10 grim miles like I had today I'd get round in 3:35ish.  Right at this moment I'd take that!!!!!!!!

Notcat Barcelona, Edinburgh and now Boston I dont think its just online stalking you are doing lol image

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Hell a lot of chattering gone on since I was away, I can hardly catch up-as will  be the case next monday I suspect when you all leave me standing.

L'Ard thanks for the continuing insults , judging by your impressive CV I think  you are toughning me up mentally ready for the hills. My 4 mile race went fine , for me 25.28 about a minute quicker  than last year so that s good but I just looked in amazement as the real runners disappeared into the distance again  good practise for next Monday.

L'Ard and Trin I did 20k today  too in beautiful sunshine .Maybe went too fast but couldnt help myself as I had a day off yesterday.Thats my hot weather training done.Seems a long time since I v e done any real distance ,wonderr if I can still do it so I know what you are going through  Not Cat.

Trin thanks for the contact list,  must remember to store it in my phone.

All lots of talk about beer and drink-stop now please as I am on the wagon and the wheels are about to fall off.Did have some crisps though RC ,cant resist all temptations.How do I keep my weight down until carb loading starts?

Anyone packed their bags yet.I might do it tomorrow ,then  I can repack the day after and again etc

Trin is diet pepsi ok to rehydrate on?

Have to say Im pretty excited which for someone of my mature years is pretty daft but what the hell?

• Options

Good luck to all of you.  I ran Boston in 2008 and had hoped to do it again in 2009 but it was not to be.  The expo was the busiest that i've ever been to.  The race lives up to it's reputation.  All (single) men should keep to the right at the half way point at Wellesley college.  The girls just want to kiss people!  It's probably one of the best reasons/excuses for dropping a few seconds in a race!  water/gatorade comes in cups every mile.  Portaloos are frequent.  crowds are impressive. 

This was the easiest transition through American customs ever.  As soon as you answer 'I'm here to run the marathon' to the question of why are you here, you're made very welcome.  Mind you, the security people did insist that the two swedish gentlemen going through security just ahead of me, did have to remove their Boston medals to go through the metal detector! 

Enjoy!

• Options
    Another interesting and largely inspirational/encouraging read:

http://www.marathonguide.com/races/racedetails.cfm?MIDD=15090420

These are the Boston reviews for the marathonguide.com site.
  • Options

Well done Cani! That's a good time considering you've been ill. This time next week you'll be flying...we all will image

Sue...are there no male students then? image

2old... diet pepsi? probably best not eh image

I'm at the stage of 'nearly packing', which has followed 'procrastination' and 'Printing travel documents'.

'Actual packing' comes next image

• Options

Hi Trinity,

Long time-no speak    I hope you are well, your running is going well and you are enjoying life in general.

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Trin  What no pepsi? What am I going to wash my Big Mac down with?

Canni stay with it you will do fine

My legs feel  like lead

• Options
    80 vigorous minutes in the gym this morning, then an afternoon of gardening. I'm knackered. Tomorrow a gentle 3 or 4 miles. Same again on Thursday, with another gym trip on Wednesday. That will be me done, apart from a possible 2 mile loosener on Saturday.
  • Options

Hiya shaggy *waves* image

2old... pepsi is fine, just not the diet stuff image

I went out for a 'confidence run' this afternoon. You know the one... when taper madness has well and truly got a hold and you start doubting that you can even run to the shops...so you go out for a run to make sure you still can..

10.06 miles in 1.16.07, with some steeeeep hills! Average pace 7.34! Lovely jubley

This time next week we WILL be celebrating!

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

RC wow 80 vigorous miles ,this is a taper you  know.

Trin, pepsi.. thats ok then.My 12 yestrday was like your run today but must take it easy from now on. Yes but your mind will have turned to London then.

• Options

London is just going to be a 'fun run'... I don't intend to race it as such, unless by some miracle my legs are up to racing!

• Options
    Trin, no men at Wellsley but at Boston College there are lots.  Funny how  I forgot that!  The women at Wellsley are a bit more blatant tho - T shirts with Kiss me quick, lots of allusions to endurance and screaming - lots and lots of screaming!
  • Options

Just a lovely 1-2-3-4-3-2-1 speed session at lunchtime.

I love running. 

• Options

right thats me in transit.  Fly out tomorrow morning but spending the night in Reekie before I fly.

See you in the US of A imageimageimageimageimage

• Options

hope maybe to see some of you over there. I will be leaving on Saturday evening! Looking forward to a beer on Monday afternoon already.

Sorry I haven't posted on here for an age, but have just been trying to catch up and there is too much to deal with. Will be wearing my Union Jack vest for the run with "SIMON" on back and front, white cap, black shorts, and at the back of wave 1.

Have a good week folks

• Options

Good luck to everyone running, have a great race.

If I can knock 9 minutes off my PB I'll see you next year!

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Have a good trip .See you there C33.

Hi Blue Wombat yes I can almost taste that beer.I will look out for you.

Not Cat so do I but I forgot my running shoes so will do my run tonight.

Hi OL you can do it

• Options

Safe trip Cani... see you there image

BW... got your email, will send on to everyone else image I'll be resting on Sunday but hope to see you at the post race celebration... I'll be the one sobbing (with happiness and relief hopefully) image

Go for it Omar... you CAN do it!

Thanks Sue... any sexy firefighters along the course per chance image

I'm half packed!!!!! imageimageimage

• Options

And RC... that was cruel!

You caught me offguard! I started blubbin again!

I'm so looking forward to racing Boston that I almost don't want it to end