Options

Asics Wilmslow Half Marathon

Comments

• Options
    I hobbled around my first ever 10K in 1.15 ish!
    I wish I could hobble around Wilmslow in that kind of time! Well done!
  • Options

Nice race weather today at Wilmslow.

Totally agree with the starting times issue. I'm a mere 1:50 runner and was surprised to pass plenty of people over the first 6 miles or so, some were walking!

I've absolutely no issue with slower runners (that is me after all) and run/walkers, respect to anyone getting their trainers on and gets running but we/they do need to be fair and realistic and respect the quicker guys chasing times.

First time at Wilmslow and i loved it, great support from the marshalls and locals.

• Options

1.50 is not slow......image

I must be stationary then....image

• Options

image. We shouldn't really get hung up over times should we, it's enough to actually be able to run these daft distances.

I'd love to be quicker, wouldn't we all? But i'm so impressed with some of the speed machines i see at races and on these forums.

Cap doffed

• Options

I like the "ordinary" peeps at the back. The ones who clearly have made sacrifices to run this and are doing it for their own personal reasons. Watching people like Paula Radcliffe (as brilliant as she is) is great, but she's gone in a flash and never looks like it hurts all that much. More "real" people have pain etched onto their faces.

Can I just say with regards to the support at Wilmslow, that it's quite encouraging as a spectator to get acknowledgement from the runners and they really did that today! Makes your hands hurt less when you're clapping and shouting at complete strangers!

I thought it was a jolly nice atmosphere! I almost had to go and get a Pimms.........image

• Options

Totally agree, i took a few high fives from some of the kids near the end......brilliant, made my day.

• Options

If your names are Kev and Dave and you were running with a pair of blonde birds between your legs and you stopped for a photo at 9 miles - email me - I've got some pics!

If you're not Kev and Dave and you'd like a pair of blonde birds between your legs - this is the wrong thread!image

• Options

Nope, not guilty. I know people who would pay good money for those piccies though image

• Options

I know JP thinks the people of Wilmslow are posh, but there may be an elephant in the room. I've just checked out the house prices and they're not so terrible....

We looked at moving there a while back, but it was a bit of a stretch and we'd have had to downsize. Not any more!

Not that they would let us scallies in....image

• Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Hi Hi Hi, ms Lyverbird - saw you and the JellyBabe Crew - my goodness, you were well organised! In my advanced state of decrepitude at that point, this fact only hit me 20 yards down the road image

A boss day out, looking at houses that belong in a tv show and trying to maintain 8-minute miling lol
  • Options

What a lovely day!  Gorgeous sunshine and the sights of Mobberley and lots of wonderful forumites to boot.  I really enjoyed it (once I finished and the cramp went)

Thanks to everyone who was a spectator today, it made a massive difference and particularly to all the kids along the route, they did a better job than the marshalls for the motivation.  They were great.

• Options
    hear. hear! The supporters (particularily all the kids) were fantastic and really made a great atmosphere.

Sylvester, SA et al... THANK YOU again for the jellybabies and moral support - you don't know how important the thought of getting to your jellybaby station was in keeping us going image
  • Options

"Just need to get to 9, keep going til 9"

"everyone is at 9"

• Options
    Thanks to the pirate jelly-baby crew for that much-needed boost at mile 9.
  • Options

Enjoyed it -third time out at Wilmslow and best of the lot for me time-wise 2.05. I did start a good distance behind the 1.50 marker and passed loads of people in the first mile or two so maybe there were many too far forward. Chip timing might help with that perhaps.

Anyway never mind the downsides, the weather was good, it's a decent enough event, stewarding was excellent, and the people by the roadsides were fab especially all the kids cheering! Thanks to them all.

• Options

My younger one is complaining that her hands hurt today! image

Still, I've got them into running from a very early age and they've got their own races that I can clap my hands off at soon.....image

• Options
    Beautiful weather, great support, brillant day!
  • Options

JPenno
    You don't make an appearance in the video that RunningBob has linked to, but I do have footage of you crossing the line (assuming you were in pirate gear as per the other Wilmslow half thread). Let me know if you want me to mail you the clip.
    ADP

• Options
    ADP - yes that was me. i will email you cheers
  • Options
    ADP - you dont appear to have email enabled, if you mail me i will respond
  • Options
    This site is a bloke in Mobberley who took loads of pics:  here found JP, Cal and Farnie, I'll send you the links in Facebook.
  • Options

Jpenno

I have found the clip of you and set it to appropriate music! Mail me at andy_penney@ntlworld.com and I'll send it to you.

ADP

• Options

This was my first half marathon and I thought it was great - and I agree that the support, especially from the kids was great......loved the kid at the start who shouted "there's only 13miles to go"......thanks!

Biggest grumble was with the people wearing headphones and therefore couldn't hear you coming up and so ran right across you, or into you (I  thought the rules stated you couldn't wear them anyway?)  ....grrrrr.....

2mins to cross the start line wouldn't have bothered me if there was chip timing - but even without it ,my official time still came in 14seconds under my 2hr goal (and therefore more money for my charity) so I was pretty pleased with that - for my first time anyway!

Loved the scenery around the course and some of those houses are fabulous too.

• Options

The jury is out on Ipod/MP3 players on races. I personally would rather have support from a crowd and a few bands to cheer me along, but Liverpool Half recently had neither and I wouldn't have wanted to have been without it. (Apologies to those at Liverpool who did come and cheer us on- but there weren't many of you, even though it wasn't a rainy day)

It is certainly true that people with music blaring in their ears do get in the way. There was a thread a while ago calling for them to be banned. The USA takes a bit of a dim view of music players in marathons, with a few places banning them altogether.

Don't really know if I'd want an outright ban - each to their own, but don't have it so loud you aren't aware of your surroundings for goodness sake!

• Options

There was supposed to be a no-MP3 rule at Wilmslow and whatever your opinion, you should respect the race organiser and comply with their rules.

There was one girl in particular who ran/walked from the start and had an MP3 blaring.  She got in everyones way that was anywhere near her.  She neither knew nor cared I don't think.  image

• Options
    I totally agree with the above comments on i pods. I bloody HATE them and the people who wear them. I was barged into by one bloke wearing one below his headband. He looked a dickhead but that's another tale. He was totally oblivious to anyone around him and obviously doesn't give a toss for the race rules because it clearly says they should not be worn.
    It's rule which is obviously difficult to police so runners should respect the instruction even if they do normally run with one.
  • Options

Farnie - should have given her a quick kick up the arse.....image

If those are the rules, then they're the rules!

And if we didn't have rules, where would we be? ................