Options

Weight & Performance

Comments

• Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭

M, that's worrying as Horwill would have me weigh less than 6.5 stone to achieve my optimum racing weight.  At 6.11 I was incredibly small - if I stood sideways I really did almost disappear - but I was fully functioning with regular periods etc.  I would be really concerned about my periods stopping at such a low weight and also about the possibility of osteoporosis in later life.  Although I'm also curious as to whether I really would get faster just by shedding a few pounds, and if so, how much faster.

Not sure I'm curious enough to go down that road though ... image

• Options

... get down to rippedness is the onlimageimage way image At the end of the day, alot of people fool themselves thinking they can't lose anymore weight and when you look at them, they can easily. I personally think that I can lose over 2 stone right at this moment and will do before London next year... I'll have to, lost that much speed and fitness now through 19 weeks out... it's my only option... if I reack 3st 4lbs, I reckon I can do 2:45 lol

Pug  

• Options

Minks: I'm double your weight ! According to Horwills stats, I'm a darts player !!

I'd need to loose 'an awful lot' to get down to elite level. However my aim isn't as high as that.

I can loose the first stone (14lbs) by simply readjusting my diet. Done it before, it works, it's the next step of keeping going that I find difficult.

Oh well another day of a junk food free me.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    I hope you're talking about yourself and not me Pug !
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Maybe I should try 160 miles a week as I am so bad at dieting

Pilsbury
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Gobi
    You don’t need to diet – you’ve no excess baggage (unlike Pug).

“Eat to compete” – you’ll not run 80 miles/week plus gym sessions and 75min ½ Mars’s on lettuce leaves !

Keep 80% of your diet clean, don’t deprive yourself of anything and you’ll be good to go.

It takes a lot of calories for big fella’s like you and bigger fella’s like me to do a bit.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    So, 160 miles a week I can eat even more?? :¬)
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
  • Options

hey now Sir's lets not think Puglet is a fatman... not quite, just fatter than I was before injury.

Last Saturday 13st 12lbs, lets see how much I can shift before Xmas day image

Pug image

• Options
    I have already run 10 miles but to counter act my food i eaten after said run need to go out for another run....... oh well it will be worth it!!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options

Pug.

I'm with you on seeing 'How much I can shift before Christmas Day !'

I'll have 'a hearty Christmas and Boxing Day' and then back to loosing it again.

I know there's works festivities to deal with, but I have a cunning plan ! as Baldrick would say...

• Options

birkmyre

Well, I've got up this morning, 13st 8.5lbs, which is 3.5lbs down on last Saturday's weight and shows that the couple of comeback runs are working magic for not storing crap. Anyway, the target is, sub 13 stone by Xmas... easy peasy. Just keep at it, it'll coem off no problem, it's all will power and anyone who says they can't lose weight, isn't doing ti properly and isn't strict, otherwise they would.

Pug image

• Options
    Just reporting in - at 6 pounds heavier than I am now, I ran 2.05 for a half mara in August. Yesterday I ran 1.55.40. The trouble is, the temperature was considerably cooler - 95F in August and in the high 30s with the windchill yesterday, so that would have made a big difference too.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Ran XC today and for once I can say being a heavier stronger runner was a blessing as I hauled in some of the quick sticks wh ousually leave me for dead. 13th place overall NICE.
  • Options

Mel Well doneimage

My next race is not till end of Jan so lets hope I can lose weight by then!!

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options

Hi to you all!

Sorry to butt in at such a late stage in the proceedings but I've just come across this thread so I've been sitting here reading every single one of your posts and I'm fascinated and really want to join in on this.

I'm not a pure runner - I'm a triathlete of average age-group standards.  Next year (early June) I'm racing at the World (age group) Sprint Triathlon Championships in Vancouver, and have just come back into training after a layoff of about 5 months.  I ain't quick - Ironman suits me more than sprint, but I aimed to qualify as a challenge and, unbelievably, (just) made it.  The race distances I'll need to cover are 750m swim, 20km bike then 5km run.  To be in the top end of the field I'll need to run about 21mins for the 5km (I don't even want to think about the swim and bike).  My PB for 5km is 22:08.

I'll have to get on the scales but I reckon I weigh about 58kgs.  I'm 5ft 3in medium build so a fat biffer if these figures given above from Horwill are to be believed.  According to his calculations as a non-active person I should be 52.1kg (45.3kg for the first 5ft plus 2.268 x 3 for those extra 3 inches).  'Eeek' is all I have to say - but I'll give it a go.  But it doesn't stop there does it?  For a 'middle distance' runner (i.e. up to 10km) I then have to ditch another 12% of my weight which by my maths makes it 45.9kg.

Yesterday I did a 5km race (Alexandra Park in Manchester) and will race over the same course on the first Sunday of each month to guage how my training is coming on.  I've never deliberately tried to lose weight to assist training so it will be interesting to see how this goes.

So here's the first result.

Sunday 02nd December 2007 / 58kg / 24:10

I am also toying with the idea of fasting one day a week, probably Monday. Not today though as I've already scoffed porridge and golden syrup for breakfast, banana and cake mid-morning (ahem - and I wonder why I'm a bit chunky) and about to emark on lunch.  Good luck to all of you because this is just such an interesting debate and I'd love to hear from anyone who's having a go at the weight loss things as a means of improving.

• Options

Good luck, Sweepie image

Sounds like you're a fat biffer in the same way that I am!

Fasting wouldn't work for me. My job involves getting physically close to people, so coming to work smelling of ketones would be as inconsiderate as coming to work smelling of garlic and whisky, or dousing myself in Poison. Besides, being hungry makes me crabbit as hell.

I'm 2.4lb down after one week on the no-chocolate regime, and did my monthly 5-mile "time trial" yesterday. I thought I was in shape to go under 36 minutes, but a combination of the weather and a gut bug meant I just crept under 50 minutes!

The same race on the first Sunday in January will be the one that tells whether or not the weight loss has made a difference ...

• Options
    i think the fasting stuff is one of the areas where horvill's usual polemical strays into the realms of absolute sh*te. eating less slows down your metabolism so instead, occasionally eat nothing and.. err.. stop it completely
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    I agree, fasting is a riciculous idea when you're trying to train and race.

Keep your diet clean(ish) and don't obsess about it.

Eat to compete.

Boost your metabolism, even by putting on a bit of lean muscle - you'll burn more calories to simply stay alive.
  • Options

I agree about fasting is not a good thing to do.

Because of my unusual diet(No meat, dairy or nuts) and have a secret weapon which will come into  play in new year so will see by April how it worksimage

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options

Thanks Pug

The thing is I love my bread, but decide to cut the ammount that I eat, to 4 slices per day. Trust me I can eat alot more than that ! So far so good, cut out crisps too, which is no big thing, but every little helps.

Glad to see this thread's still going, been helpful to me.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    I'll still settle for not piling weight on over December. I am lighter than this time last year so a good start :¬)
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    For anyone wanting to feel better

I am heavier than Mr Average sedentry bloke and between 12/14KGs over Mr Long distance runners weight.

I guess Emil Zatopek really should be my idol :¬)
  • Options

I agree about not piling weight on over christmas but that has not been a problem as I hate the fancy fatty foods and dont eat chocolate.

Gobi

I guess what it shows one size does not fit all and some runners need extra weight.

Right better get my lardy backside of chair and out for my run.

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options

First 3 pounds lost !

Well its a start, but the scales don't lie. 

Theres a long way to go, I've got certain 'withdrawl symptoms' due to the diet I've adopted. Managed to successfully get through Mrs B b'day earlier in the week.

Had a piece, ok then 2 pieces of her cake, but NO chocs. (I'm pleased to say).

It's a start...

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Birkmyre

I keep a sin list on fetch rather than a food diary. Makes bad reading far too often.

repeat after me

ZATOPEK ZATOPEK ZATOPEK

Johnny average and the 100 mile week brigade
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Vrap - good points on the smells from fasting being unpleasant and I'm sure you're more aware than some with your job, but come now Poison just cannot be ranked beside those you've listed.  It's one of my favourites, well Pure Poison is!  Maybe you've come across someone who mixed the scent with the garlic and whisky...  Sorry a bit off topic thereimage
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    just a bit Hilly :¬)
  • Options

I wear Poison too - both the Pure one and my favourite, the Hypnotic one.

I had my body fat measured yesterday with one of those handheld gadgets and it measured me at 27%! So, a ways to go then... I know about the inaccuracies/hydration etc issues with these gadgets, but it will be a good benchmark for moving forward.

• Options

errrrrrrrrrrm I wear Pure Poison but my fav at the moment is Ghost....maybe I will become a ghost of my former selfimage

I have lost 2lb this week

My body fat according to tanita is 16% again just a benchmark

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression