Options

Steady is seriously ill

Comments

• Options

June, just popped in to wish you a wonderful day! Your new colleagues are (rightly) very eager for you to come, and you've checked it all out carefully, so you'll have a blast!

My dad always used to say that leaving and going are the same thing, just seen from different ends. Leaving (which means looking back) is hard; going (which means looking forward) is fun. So for any transition, the trick is to get the 'leaving' over as fast as possible so you can start 'going'.  You've done all your leaving now, so you can look forward with enormous enthusiasm to all the things you're going to do!

I'm 'leaving' just a tiny bit today too. This is C3's last exam at the BSN (British School in the Netherlands) (d.v.!). C1 started there nearly 17 years ago, when we were here for the first time; C2 ws a toddler, C3 was a baby. It's a bit odd to think that after today we won't have any kids at the BSN!

Diana, big respect to your daughter---that forensic unit must be a tough place to work, although I gather this is the area that interests her. I'm so impressed by people who have the patience, skill and courage to work with kids in that kind of situation. Talk about making a difference!! I hope she does get the next steps of her profession lined up, cos she's surely one admirable girl!

Right, time to toddle. Have a happy day everyone, and especially

HAPPY NEW JOB, JUNE!!!!!!

Will look in tonight and hope to have a full account of your first day image))))))

• Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    ~~~~~June~~~~~
  • Options

Afternoon June,

Here's hoping your new job goes well, nay much better than that image.

I trust you & Beanz enjoyed sharing your time with Dustin Hoffman image.

Howdy to Chugger. The words on leaving and going are just great.

Tis indeed a long time at the school & the end must arrive at some time. My youngest child moves into the last year of his school in September. We will be in a similar situation next summer.

Diana - "Best Wishes" for your daughter from me too.

• Options

Hopefully June is well into her first day now, and finding her feet - sounds as though it's going to be a great team. Glad you had all sorts of nice events last week.

No news for daughter #2 as yet, but I think the closing date for applications hasn't arrived yet. Thes assistant psychologist posts are very sought after though.

We are off to Crete in the morning, so I may not post for a couple of weeks. I plan to run before breakfast pretty regularly, to keep things ticking over - will see if the resolve holds!

• Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    <waves hankie at Diana's retreating back>
  • Options
    LFVLFV ✭✭✭

Diana, by the time you read this I hope you will have had a lovely two weeks in Crete. And I am putting into practise your wise words on leaving and going.

KatieJ, you know I don't mind...I've been there.

Chugs - it's a new beginning for you then in a way....

And Beanz and I had a very pleasant time at the QUAD with Dustin and Emma.... only 5 people there! A very heartwarming film - I recommend it.

New job....pros and cons (Cons first)

Got lost in the one way system so turned up only 20 minutes early instead of the planned half hour to find no parking places (as predicted). Had to double park on the front. It's a nightmare and likely to get worse as they are planning on restricting the numbers able to park even further... It has got to be a factor in my longer term planning - do I stay or do I go? Or move closer eventually (and take a hit on negative equity)....It has made my mind up in that I will definitely apply back to Nottinghamshire when the indexer jobs there are advertised.

Pros - so far a good and mixed team who are welcoming and friendly. Good working environment and facilities which are going to get even better when the department is refurbished later this year. And a job I have trained to do, enjoy and am good at.

Only two days in though so plenty of time to decide.

And my garden is producing like mad! I have the last of the mangetouts giving way to copious pods of broadbeans, the first kohl rabi, new potatoes, loads of lettuces, raspberries, garlic, onions etc......yum!

• Options

Hello my dear

Joys of the l'boro one way system, I can flog you one barely used car parking space at Mummy KJ's.  Free from 7am to 6pm during term times, and a nice 10 min jaunt by foot to your place of work image

• Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭

Morning,

June, my mouth is watering at the thought of all that garden produce!

• Options

June

Lufbra!

I will have to suggest my birthday social here in sport city again.

• Options
    LFVLFV ✭✭✭
    Don't you mean your foot Sluggie? image
  • Options

June,

Tis early days but I'm sure you'll settle in well & get the parking situation under control image.

We've done with celebrating the students' achievements (Tuesday night). Now we're into the round of bye byes, cos those who don't finish today will finish tomorrow.

Too busy to finish off this post now!

Brrrrrrrrrrrrimage

• Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭

Hope it all goes well, Jim.

• Options
    LFVLFV ✭✭✭

Phew busy, busy again..... Just watered lots of pots with seaweed feed, picked lettuces and broad beans and now going to clean the house, having put out the washing. Just listening to the Archers omnbus while typing.....

Went for coffee n cake (yummy too) with KatieJ yesterday afternoon and off out for a work (previos job) leaving do for two ex colleagues who are moving on. Chinese buffet restaurant with karaokein Nottingham! (Not normally my thing but had very enjoyable evening and the teppanyaki bar got lots of my custom - yum..) Haven't been out that late on a Saturday in Nottingham for ages -an eye opener, I can tell you.

Off to help Beanz out with her glut of fruit this afternoon  - then it's getting ready for work again next week. I am being inducted on Tuesdayimage. Hmmmm.....

• Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Oooh, does the induction include a funny handshake, LFV?? image
  • Options

Morning June,

I've been thinking of you over the weekend, since I crocked my back while wrestling the lawnmower into the boot of my car image. I dunno about you wrestling one out of the shed, but I lost out to the car boot. That was on Saturday & was then followed by an afternoon of removing uni man's belongings from the house to return to home. 'Only' 2 years' worth but it did take some effort. Then we needed to find somewhere to relocate. Linda had the brainwave of the attic in her parents' house. Brilliant! except it involved another two flights of stairs.

In the evening we went to a barn dance (I took the role of an observer!) at a work colleague's 60th birthday-cum-retirement do.

On Sunday we returned for the last few items for uni man & did the dusting, vacuuming & general cleaning to make it pretty accommodation again. I must say it did look ready for someone to move straight into it image.

Nottingham on a Saturday night! Hot weather = not much clothing on the revellers. Would that be one equation? Another might involve quantities of alcohol & loud, wobbly behaviour.

Did I mention, Linda bought me a book (on behalf of the children) for father's day: Grumpy old wit.

All the Best with the induction too.

• Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭

Morning,

((Jim)), hope the back is feeling easier now.

• Options

Afternoon June,

The back is a little better now but still in need of some attention.

I hope you're surviving the heat at w*rk & in the garden image.

Child 3 has removed a conifer stump in my sis in laws garden. He's never done jobs like this before so I'm very impressed with how well & quickly he polished off the job.

BAD news at home. The router isn't working. I spent an hour with it before going to w*rk. It reminds me of the problems we had in January image. Maybe I can do something about it this evening.

"Thanks" to Slugsta for the concern. How are things for you & your family.

• Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Things are fine, thanks Jim. I'm still off work for another 3/52, foot isn't painful unless I forget myself and put weight on the forefoot though. Slugboy is in Cornwall with his gf and her family and Mr Slug is working hard to support us all image.  How are the Jimsons' broken bones?
  • Options

Morning June,

Another hot day with rain (if not air clearing storms) forecast. Methinks the gardens will gulp down the rainfall after the temperatures this week.

Are you inducted by now? The days are moving along but I dunno how settled you feel yet. Is there a case for your teeth to get stuck into (so to speak image)?

Slugsta - the wrist is mended (regaining strength now). The collar bone is much better. The hospital won't operate cos he's too young but said if necessary they could shave the bone at some point in the future image. Does Mr Slug have air-con or is he driving a mobile greenhouse?

• Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭

Morning,

Much more pleasant here this morning (the weather, not my mood image). Mr S has a nice, air conditioned car (as do I) so he's quite happy to sit in it as long as the engine is running. He's off to Brum today, taking a regular customer up for a funeral.

June, do let us know how you're getting on, please.

• Options

'Lo all. Good to see the things are going well at the new job, June, although that commute sounds like it will take some mastering. But you are doing work you like and are good at, and it sounds as if this might be useful experience that could be a spring board to your doing the same kind of work in a slightly more convenient location.

And in the meantime karaoke and teppanyaki?? AND the garden flooding you with lovely fresh food! Sounds like a lot of good things happening.

Jim, I hope by now the back is better! And I do sympathise with moving uni-man. C2 has just come home for the summer and he appeared to be bringing enough stuff with him to stock a six-bedroom house! (instead of one room in a hall of residence...) Has your pooter revived yet??

Sluggie, do you have some kind of intermediate check-up so they can see how you're doing? By now it must be getting a tad boring, not being able to get out and about properly.

Sorry to have been out of the air but last month I went to Moscow to see C1. I haven't seen her since new year, so we had a lot to catch up on, and of course we talked solidly for three days!  But we did lots of things, too---I got to see her flat, and her office, and on Saturday we went to Suzdal, a rather small town abou 180 km east of Moscow that was the mediaeval centre of the Russian Orthodox Church. It had six large monastic establishments, and still has several dozen magnificent churches (down from 40-something in its heyday). On Sunday we went to the Kremlin and Red Square (well you have to, don't you?). I never realised the Kremlin was like the Tower of London---a fortified enclosure with lots of buildings inside. There's the Duma, and some government buildings, but also lovely gardens, several palaces and a stunning collection of about half a dozen superb churches, gleaming white walls and golden onion domes shining in the sun. Amazing. I'm so glad I got to see it.

And now it's just a week til hols. We're off next Friday to France for 3 weeks. Can't wait image))))

• Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭

Morning,

Chuggy, I remember also being surpised by the Kremin. I had expected just the grim fortress shown on the news, not the beauty of the churches and palaces. Did you visit GUM? I bet it's changed since we were there!

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

• Options

Afternoon June,

Here's hoping the weather hasn't bashed your garden produce too badly.

We've had thunder & lightnin this mornin. That followed the scorching of Saturday & Sunday. I've got burned around my neck & it's a bit sore just now image. Collarbone boy was trying his hand at fishing. Not only didn't we / he catch anything we didn't have much joy casting off. However, a lesson from his uncle set us up for Sunday. No (fish) bites to report though. I was trying to be a supportive dad & didn't have any shade for most of the time. We avoided trees so that he wouldn't get snagged on a branch.

Wrist boy has started using a gym. His pec muscles were so over worked they hurtimage. He could hardly manage to put his shirt on by himself! Hopefully he'll get used to the weights & how many reps to do. I'm sure I'd be worse than him though.

A great post from Chugger. Isn't travel wonderful. Trouble is I don't get away these days. My sister-in-law works for VirginAtlantic & is flying to LA today. She's expecting an unusually high number of Jackson fans for tomorrow's funeral. Eleven hours of in-flight entertainment from the passengers I guess.

The pooter needed the router re-setting (a non-techie phrase there), & all is now okay with it.

My back is much better. I managed 2 miles (alone) this morning. That was a full minute  quicker than with Linda & a much higher heart rate too (eejit). I must try & curb enthusiasm & replace with caution for the return to my previous level of running.

• Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭

Dog, 11 hours of MJ image, don't envy your SIL at all, Jim. Glad to hear that your back is improving and that you've managed a run.

Chuggy, please can I make it clear that when I asked about GUM I was referring to the department store, not the clinic! image

Today I'm going on a church crawl with a couple of friends - we know how to live down here in Darzet!

• Options

What a busy time for all!

Just a bit of good news- the garden my school entered at Hampton Court Flower Show won a Gold medal yesterday! we took 30 kids up to Press Day  and had a lovely time. Our garden did look fantastic- we were lucky as some suffered in the wind & we saw some celebs- Alan Titchmarsh, Michael Heseltine, Martin Bell & Jacqueline Wilson. The children did us proud & were so keen & interested in everything - one may be the Daily Express today & we should be featured in the BBC coverage on Thurs. Went back for the gala last night & hada wonderful time so still on  a high!

Back to normal work this week- roll on summer hols!

• Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    A huge 'well done' to all the kids and staff involved, ginntonxi!! image
  • Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
  • Options
    LFVLFV ✭✭✭

Morning all - haven't posted for some time so apologies...

Been very busy at work and cooking curries for our first "curry day" on Friday. They all went down very well indeed, so much so that the remnants were boxed up and triumphantly born away by 3 colleagues to the envy of the rest! A nice end to my third week.

Good news on the parking too. The proposed new restrictions have been postponed due to lack of funds. Good-o image. It is still a bit of a trek there but not as bad as to one of my previous stations so I will see what it's like when all the schools are back and it's dark, wet and wintery....There is a good Farmers Market once a month in Loughborough and I bought wild rabbit, duck eggs, lovely bacon and a tarragon plant to replace the one in my garden which is on its last legs.

Off to Chatsworth this afternoon with my mother and sisters for a sort of birthday treat as it was my mother's birthday last week. They are all coming down from Hull and I am driving up to meet them - hope the weather isn't too bad. We were promised no rain but there are still showers here.

I have been busy too booking the subscription concert series at the Royal Centre in Nottingham. It's such a treat to be able to say yes, I can go to all of them. I haven't been able to do that for many years due to work commitments and I am really looking forward to another year of brilliant orchestras and soloists. 

And the garden is still going strong. Took out my autumn planted broad beans and ate the last of them yesterday with the rabbit (which I stewed Spanish style with pimenton, tomatoes and a chilli/chocolate sauce) - yum! Put in more lettuces and perpetual spinach. My purple spruting broccoli is growing strongly with no pests or diseases on it at all, which shows the balance id right (I saw wasps eating whitefly off it the other day).

Went to the cemetery yesterday to see what is there and they have mown a path right through the woodland area which is a lovely walk - masses of different butterflies and a kestrel which landed on a tree just as I was standing near the spot where Eddy is buried. It must be hunting over the A52 which is right next door.. 

• Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭

Morning,

Lovely to hear from you, June. It sounds as if you are settling well into your new post - I bet the curry evening helped! It must be a real novely to plan your life without worrying which shift you will be on, hope that the concerts live up to expectations.

What a lovely picture you paint of your garden and the woodland walk. Kestrels seem to have become less common over the past few years. At one stage they could be seen every few miles along the motorways but now they are few and far between - although buzzards seem much more prevalent.