Options

FLM Training: Wardi

Comments

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Good week of training Wardi.  More miles than me this weekimage
  • Options

So you're not making the jump from 75 to 39 miles thenimage

To paraphrase you, you're going to keep running a good mileage, but really want specific advice on structuring your faster sessions to give you the basic speed and speed endurance to enable you to get to sub 3.  It will be interesting (for those of us who like to study that sort of thing) to see how you and Mr S tackle it.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    A good weeks work Wardi, well played.

Miles will mean smiles, come the big day.
  • Options

A RW golden ticket, a local pint @ £1.26, a full head of luxuriant hair, a sinewy body immune to injury..... as the song says, " Some Guys Have All The Luck !!!!"

As my number 1 priority is to enjoy my day in the big pomegranate Wardi, maybe its just as well I didn't get a ticket? With a half pb of 1:37:58, I should be OK for approx. 3:30 - 3:45, but I will be setting a pb regardless, so won't cry over whatever time I get. The expertise would've been great, but the advice I pick up on the sub 3.45 thread has done the trick so far. Did 16 miles at 5.30 am today, but only coz I needed a full day in the shops getting the missus's presents!

Your own target needs the minute detail that this coaching will bring, so good luck to you my friend! When you are powering away at your 6.45 min miles, I'll be plodding away at 8.20's, on a sightseeing tour of London! Hope you can enjoy the day too, and don't turn the thread interest into unwanted pressure!!

Little Stoker.

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    BR.. just as I began to read your post; Steve Smythe has kindly called to see what I think of the schedule. He is happy enough for me to continue 'as you were' but with due attention to being fresh enough for the speed & tempo sessions. e.g 3 x 2m in 12 mins in week 2. I am aware that as age withers me, the recovery is not quite as swift as it once was.

As you correctly pointed out, I am more inclined to cling on to Kev + another quick clubmate to bash out a sustained decent pace on a club night than run measured repeats on a track. As the eyes of the forum are upon me I will find a way aound this; who knows it may be the missing piece of the 3hr jigsaw. The local school track is unusable in the hours of darkness, and gets in a bit of a state in the winter months as it is not used by the school. It is still the same old gravel track that was there when I was a pupil in Dylan's 'Blood On The Tracks' days {O:

Steve's feeling is that grizzled campaigners like myself perhaps need less 'hands on' coaching than the beginners/debutants or 2nd timers. However he has offered to be on hand via phone or e-mail if I need any help. Seems fair enough.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Stoker.. very best of luck with your campaign. A 5:30 start? Chuffing hell it was cold enough at 9am! Well done indeed. One of my club girlies ran 3:24 off a 1:36 half-m so I say go for it!

BTW I don't know what pressure is, I'm about as laid back as they come!

Blimey me haggard old frame, complexion & moptop is getting some compliments these last few days. My Mrs to be has visions of me being carted off by some admiring forum lady in the middle of the night {O: In my dreams of course!

• Options

My Mrs to be has visions of me being carted off by some admiring forum lady in the middle of the night {O: In my dreams of course!

It has been known to happenimage

It would be interesting to see the interaction between you and Steve, much as we did between hilly and Mike Gratton a few years ago.  I would guess a slightly lower mileage initially would see you better able to do strong faster sessions.

Where is the nearest track to you?  One of the downsides about the move south is that instead of having 2 top quality tracks within a 15 min drive from here, the nearest running tracks will be a 40 min drive away.  Looks like a measuring wheel along Weymouth seafront thenimage

• Options
    Congratulations Wardi and the very, very best of luck in achieving your sub 3.
  • Options

Hi Wardi, sorry it's taken me a couple of days to pop in. Great to see you as one of the Dream Team, I certainly remember you from Mudchute a couple of years ago, and also I think from Abingdon last year and Reading this? Not sure and don't have time to look it up just now!

Didn't realise you were oop north . . we were in York over the weekend.

Good luck with your target - I never made it. RW have (temporarily I hope) got my pb wrong and years ago I managed 3.02, 3.04 and 3.09 in my quest for sub-3. So I never quite got there. My brother has run 2.57 a number of times and he's a similar build to me (ie 6'5" and slightly heavy) but then he does get to train in Melbourne which I think gives him an unfair advantage!

Keep in touch . .

• Options
    Don't worry Wardi, I'm not at all strong! And tend to be snoring in my pit at midnight anyway, so you're quite safe! Congrats to you and the future Mrs Wardi too. When will you tie the knot then? Mr Scoobs and I have been together for 27 years today. Not married that long though as I was only 15 when I met him. Married for 23. Anyway just popping in to wish you a very merry Christmas. :0) Still curious about that youthful look though... image
  • Options

Congratulations Wardi........wish you lots of luck in breaking the 3 hour barrier.

I'll be watching this thread with interest as I'm just a little older than you and going for a pb at London.

• Options

BR - Weymouth does have a lovely cinder track, which staged league matches in the mid 90s so that may be an option in flats.

• Options

Congrats on making the cut wardi.

I'll be lurking with interest.... 

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Thanks to all who have ventured on here to wish me well.

Good luck with your campaign TR.

Scoobs.. wedding is set for 28/6 in a small old castle up here. Lots of guests. Just enough time after FLM to sort it all out {O:

Two easy runs today, 5m am, 6m pm.

I will be out for a steady 5 miler with a few clubmates in the morning then 10 members of family round for dinner. Should be a good day.

Have a jolly Xmas everyone.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    As promised 5.3 miles Xmas morning with clubmates. Steady pace apart from mile 4 in 6:15 to open up the taste buds for the day's culinary delights.

Today.. a 10 mile loop incorporating a few intervals at 10k pace. I have a 5 mile race on 6th Jan and a half-marathon on 20th Jan so these fast sessions are just a bit of sharpening up.

After warm up 6 x 0.5 mile av. 3:06 with 2 min recoveries. Finished off with a straight 1 mile in 6:12 then cool down.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    2 easy runs today, 4 miles am, 6 miles pm.

Blimey what's happened to the weather? It's like early September!

Scoobs: it's all a matter of using the right soap.. because I'm worth it. {O:
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good work Wardi,

I notice that you've been doing doubles - is that in order to enable you to run quicker ?

I'm concentrating on running further, I can run fast enough, just not far enough.
  • Options

Or just not far enough AND fast enough.

Congrats to the man. They said "who wants to carry the monkey?" Wardi said aye, and now the surreal world watches. With that pressure he'll do it. Partly because he is close enough to do it anyway, but partly because the pride will drive him to train harder and SMARTER. I'm not trying to criticise a previous regime, but there are some people around here who are not too proud that they won't review their base theory. Now that is worthy of respect.

I'm thinking of 3.

• Options

Just come across this thread and I notice the quote from SS in the introductory article.

His Half Marathon PB of 1:24:56 isn't quite quick enough, though it is four seconds up on what the Garmin schedules suggest as a minimum. If he could get down to 1:23-1:24, then the necessary 1:28-1:29 minutes at halfway will feel relatively comfortable rather than nearly flat out.

That makes a lot of sense but it also seems almost reverse logic to go faster for a HM to get a quicker FM.  I am aged 50 as well, live about 13 miles away (Alwoodley, Leeds), am doing the BrassMonkey on Jan 20th so I have a lot of interest in this thread.

However my background is a bit different from Wardi's. FM PB 17 years ago of 2:47 (at Leeds - TheTough One as they used to advertise it !!). Stopped running for 8-9 years (the day after the PB) and been running on and off for the last few years. Just decided to do a FM and I am targetting Blackpool. I would be happy with sub 3:15 but no real idea of what I can achieve. A recent PB of 40:31 for 10K but only after 3 months running again.

Good luck Wardi. I think you will be doiung much more mileage than me and also speed work so it wil lbe good to see how a plan develops and what improvements you get.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nice to see you Johhny Bike
  • Options

Wardi!! Little Stoker did that full stop thing! Which I'm not sure of the meaning, but took it to mean end of! So you are very mischievious in bringing it up again!

So new topic required I believe. Now then as I am not a fastie I can watch and learn from your training. But I can also offer some good coaching of the non running variety.image

We need to discuss running attire. Now AF has some rather nice shorts as you know. I do like these shorts very much. And these stand out in a crowd somewhat. So Wardi if I am not to make the start line myself, I will do my usual. And my usual is that all my clubmates that are not running London come over to our house to watch on the telly. We eat cake and drink tea and spot our mates. We also put telly onto finish line to see our runners through.

But how will we spot you Wardi? Running attire is a very very important aspect of this. We need to be able to know that it is you, you see.

May I suggest you think about your shorts? I suspect you may need to wear a club vest you see. But Wardi do be careful when choosing said shorts, as we can't be doing with any chaffing....

• Options
    Scooby: Dead easy. Just look out for me and you'll know that you've just mised Wardi.
  • Options

Johnny Bike - I think Steve is spot on there. If well aerobically trained at sub-elite level your full marathon time might be 8-10 minutes slower than twice your half time (i've done a bit of analysis on the all time top 15 Brits  - they tend to be 5 minutes slower)

We know Wardi is well aerobically trained (e.g. Hadd) so he MUST improve his times at shorter distances, or at least his potential at these distances in order to speed up over the full marathon.

The big dilemna I always have is whether or not to do a half in the build up to the full marathon. I ran a cracking half this year (69:39) taking 90 seconds off my pb 4 weeks before london, but then ran only an average time (2:32) on the big day - given the shape I was in. I tend to be the sort who won't put myself on the start line to do anything other than run flat out so there's no chance of me doing a half at marathon pace etc when I can simulate that in training easily.

On the other hand the 12 weeks pre taper leading up to London are by far my highest volume and most focussed weeks of the year - so I will be in great half shape anyway if I hit it right, and it seems nice to come out of each marathon season with something, even if for me 2007 was a big breakthrough at half distance.

This year I won't be doing a half in the build up, will do a ten miler in feb and a 10k in march.

• Options

Cheers Mike, I agree with your thinking. The times are pretty good as well.

I agree that if you are going to travel and pay to enter a race you might as well run it as you mean it, rather than a training run. I think I am doing Gloucester 20 and my plan (3 months away) is to run 15 at FM pace and then see if I have anything left to push on. If I have great, if I don't then so be it, I know my FM pace and if I blow up then I need to revise pacing plans dramatically.

It is an interesting thread though  

• Options
    I'm always nervous about the Glos 20, despite it being on my doorstep I believe that few people race well there and then race well at London. I think it's too close to FLM day. I'd rather train 20 that day.
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Wardi, all the very best in your trg and im sure you have the guts and ability to achieve your goal, go for it. Well done on being picked.
  • Options

Luckily I am doing Blackpool which is 2 weeks after London.

I do intend doing a LDWA 30 miler the week before Glos though image

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    I'm doing the Mad March Hare 20. 6 weeks before FLM.

20 miles at Tergat MP (whatever that is) and see if the wheels fall off.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all your contributions chaps. TR & RFJ good luck in your build up.

Mike.. nice to hear from a 2:30 merchant, all the best to you for FLM 2008. I remember a post which stated that you were well over 6ft and 12 st +, you do seem to run very well considering your less than ideal frame!

Blisters.. your recent form suggests that our FLM contest may still be nip & tuck {O:

Johnny B.. a cracking PB you have there! My marathon career has improved in old age. Circa 3:30 in my early 30's to sub 3:10 in my late 40's. I suspect that increased mileage plus marathon wisdom accounts for this. Good luck at the Brass Monkey, hope to meet you there.

East Hull 20 for me on 9th March, I would love to say a good pointer to form but usually blowing a gale if previous years are anything to go by }O:

I am aware of the need for faster times over shorter distances, I will work on it and see if I can continue to defy old father time.

RHR up by 10bpm Thursday night (42-52!) and I'm not ill. Probably a reaction to the intervals on Wednesday methinks. Rest day today. 5m Saturday planned and a longish effort on Sunday.