Options

Nike Milton Keynes Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options

Morning all, ok I really am ill....been docs now and have anti biotics to mak me better.....he doesnt want me to work or train????!!!!!!! So im about to go insaine.

Hows is everyone doing this week?? 

• Options

Lara

Sad news young lady,  but you'll bounce back very soon!

I was really not in the mood to train yesterday,  even delaying my workout with a coffee in the gym cafe.  

But I did eventually do a 5-miler in 42:19  (8.28 per mile aver.)  Not good, not bad.   Gym its usual hot, humid self.  

Unless things go wrong at  the MK Half,  I should be OK for 1:50 o(8.24 per mile aver.) or less

• Options

Been off the forum for a bit due to skiing etc, but good to see there's plenty of action now!

Training going ok for MK, despite putting about 1/2 stone on whilst skiing (damn that chalet food/wine!).

Still only working on my 3 runs/week strategy:

• 1 'long' run (8-10mile) at HM pace + 45-60 secs/mile,
    • 1 'recovery' 3 mile slow + other gym cv stuff (cross trainer etc) 
    • 1 'tempo' - 5 miles with min 3 at or below HM target pace (7:35/mile)  

This approach worked for me for my last HM but I'm wondering if I should step up the tempo element for the last few weeks...

• Options
    I'd probably stick with what you're doing Scrabble.  If you've been off running for a bit and push straight back into higher tempo stuff there's a danger something will give. 
  • Options
    Confession: It is such a beautiful day, I couldnt resist a little 4 mile run in the sunshine :0)  felt like crap but the sun on my back was amazing!!
  • Options
    Be careful Lara, you  don't want to risk delaying your recovery by stressing your body when it's fighting an infection.  Fully understand the need to get out there and take advantage of teh sunshine though.
  • Options

Tut Tut Lara,

should do what your body is telling you not what your mind says, its too easy to carry on training and end up being laid up in bed for your troubles.

• Options

Lara

If the sun shines,  go for a relaxed walk -  if there's anywhere nice near you to walk that is. 

• Options
    Have number, will run.
  • Options

There is a real bottleneck at about 6 and a half miles. There is construction work  on Childs way and the underpass has hoarding underneath making it narrow. It will only allow one runner through at a time safely.

Got my number and chip today. Hope I don't have to pull out as I did at Watford.

• Options
    Evening all.....im running again, all better now. Now with less that 2 weeks to go, i dont know if it is wise ro run or not???
  • Options

Bottleneck sounds like really bad news if it's that narrow image  Do you think the organisers know about it?

Lara - you may have to revise your target time a bit but as long as you'd done at least 10miles before you got ill I'd have though you should be ok to run.  Just don't go mad trying to make up lost sessions between now and race day.

• Options
    I think it is a bad bottleneck and I am sure the organisors are aware as there is a big arrow painted on the floor. Despite the narrowness I have ran this race three times before and unless overtaking or being overtaken, I usually am normally seperated from runners by a few feet, enough to negotiate the underpass OK, but if you are with a group it will bunch up.
  • Options
    I have just had an email from the organisors saying they have been assured that the hoarding will be gone by the time of the race.
  • Options
    Good point Straitjacket - that is as you cross under Childs Way after the loop around Willen Lake. Work is moving on there quite well but it is only 2 weeks time and they may have been assured but .... Actually only see the work from the road so haven't see what it is like in the underpass but can imagine it is somewhat narrow.
  • Options
    Fingers crossed then. Not that I'm unduly concerned, I'm not really fit enough to race this event so will be using it as more of a training run anyway.
  • Options

Anybody any idea how many have entered this one so far ? I got my number, 725, yesterday and was just wondering if I could hide easily in a big field. 

Only done two halfs to date and I was painfully slow for both. Improved my training this time and hoping this will be reflected in a better time. 

• Options
    Not sure how many have entered this year but last year there were 2800 entries so I think you'll be fairly safe...
  • Options
    Troglodytes thanks for your advice, I can manage 10 miles so im sure ill be fine....I just know id be so annoyed with myself if i got over 2 hours....as there is only less than 2 weeks, i dont want to over train but i also down want to taper as much as i would.....advice please??
  • Options
    Plenty of room with me at the back Lambeau image. Hope you have a good race!
  • Options

Lara, I've never really tapered much before a half - maybe not pushed as hard during the speedwork session and eased back slightly on pace during runs in the preceding week but no more than that.  Set new pb's on consecutive weekends one year on that sort of programme, though I was marathon training at the time.  Its' probably not worth adding in any extra or new sessions cos it's too late to get any real benefit from them; just do what you'd normally do, making allowances for time off.

• Options

Lara

Loads of running over the next few days will have minimal impact on your fitness.   However,  being rested on race day will give you a better chance.

My neck's killing me just now, so not running at all.   But I'll maintain my 'oomph' with cross-training. 

• Options
    I have number 427 and will be somewhere at the back too..
  • Options

Sounds as though the back of the field will be quite busy, should be fun. Especially if the underpass is still very narrow !

• Options
    After my PB at Wokingham I was really hoping that I might be able to duck under 1:30 at Milton Keynes. Picked up a foot injury at the weekend however so I'm now not sure if I'll even be running image
  • Options

Right - honest opinions please!

I've wittered a bit on fetch as well - must change my userid on there to same as here

I did Great Bentley 3 weeks ago and got a PB of 2:08. Since then, due to a combination of various things, I've run precisely 3 times with a max distance of 4 miles. I was planning a 10 miler this week to see how things were, but have got a lurgy with a temperature, sore throat, phlegmy cough etc and so now won't be running at all this week, let alone 10 miles (I'm finding it difficult enough to walk the 1 mile to school to collect the littlies at the moment)

Do I cut my losses and pull out now, thereby  pleasing my mother as I'll be able to drive 200 miles to see her on Mother's Day, or do I carry on hoping and risk a dismal performance?

I'm very unconfident about my running so I really dread a truly bad race

I don't know what to do image

• Options

hdj999

Three weeks ago, given that you actually raced the full half-marathon distance, you'll have been more 'match fit' than many of those that will be on the start line at the upcoming MK Half.

Sure, you'll have lost a degree of that fitness over the last few weeks.   But so what?

Assuming that you've no chest injection in the immediate lead up to 2nd March,  I see no reason why you can't still compete.   

The worst that can happen is that you start but don't finish (although chances are very high that you will make it).   Is that so very bad a worst case scenario?     You'll have had a day out,  met new people,  experienced the excitement of a race,  etc, etc.   

Infection/illness aside, this running lark's not rocket science.  Just a matter of putting one foot in front of another. 

And if you're not confident of running the whole distance,  adopt a run/walk strategy (right from the start).    You'll be amazed how little impact it has on your time. 

• Options

Changed my mind about running and did a 3-miler on the treadie in 23.56 - ie 7.59 per mile.   Last year, this was about my Spring half-marathon race pace.  Oh,  happy days.    I'm guessing that I could keep it up for 6, 7,  maybe 8 miles now.   But not 13.1 !

• Options
    number 43 for me

please make room at the back of the field!
  • Options

Hi guys, well im no longer running in this one, someone has had a football injury and im taking his place im off to Berko 1/2 (they are on the same day).

Thanks for all your advice, and ill be doing the NSPCC MK later in the year so might see you all then.

All the Best to Everyone!!! xxx