Nike Milton Keynes Half-Marathon

14567810»

Comments

• Options

Thanks Mick

487th 1:40:23 for me.

• Options

Well, I'm a happy banana this morning!

#1442 Darkman - 1:29 - on Garmin 1:29:38 was near the front at the start so should be accurate
    #97 Hashette - 1:58 - no fecking idea, hit stop instead of lap at mile 1, then forgot to hit stop at the endimage
    #1135 Tim of MK - 1:48
    #1113 Troglodytes - 2:10 - on Garmin 2:11:15 (13.39miles)
    #2178 Wine Man - 1:50:00 - 1:55:40 on my watch
    #856 Icemaiden - 2:15:00 - unofficially 2:16:57, but still a PB image knickers to that wind though.
    #531 Scrabble - 1:39:59 - 1:38:50 on Garmin and 1:39:50 on clock so pretty sure I finally went sub 1:40!!
    #43 Melds - 2.15 ... ish! 
    #1423 Aviator - 1:40:23

Well done all!

• Options
    That was Scrabble who was the happy banana...image
  • Options
    Tim of MKTim of MK ✭✭✭

Not expecting much,  given my  "short session gym bunny" regime and my increased girth lol.   But the chip says 1:42.44  (stop-watch 1:42.43),   which is the fastest that I've ever run a half in my life.   I'm genuinely gob-smacked.    Can't put this down to training,  so can only assume that it was 'right in the mind' yesterday. 

• Options

1161st by chip time - 72 places higher up than last year.

With this sort of improvement I can win it in 16 years time!

• Options

Glad you all seem to have had a good day..

Darkman....... I hope all my requests at the start for the slower runners to go behind you faster ones worked out and enabled you all to get a good start.

Trog  it was a pleasure to call your name I just hope I was able to do the same for many others.

• Options

Thanks MK for an excellent race. Me: marginally diappointed with 2:11 with the chip adding 7 seconds to my Garmin time, though hardly I trained much in the last month due to illness, so not complaining.

I see from the results on Mick B's link that someone who finished 4th from last (3:07) had a gun time the same as her chip time, so presumably she started at the front and was overtaken by 2087 people! That can't feel good.

• Options
    were there any photographers there ?    I usually have a good old grimace going on somewhere!
  • Options

1.47.52 chip time for me. Happy with that, especially given the reasonably stiff headwind on miles 9-12.

As the race progressed I was determined to go sub 1 hour 48 and so picked up the pace throughout the 13th mile and put in a big 'crowd-pleasing' sprint over the last 200M section and flew across the line image

Only problem was, I literally flew over the line. Combination of slowing over the line, stopping my watch and glancing up at the guy marshalling the line that I knew, meant that i Wasn't quite careful enough at the second of the two finish line mats and tripped over it !! Tried to roll but just succeeded in landing on my left hand side.

Have a stiff shoulder and sore hip today but the let elbow took the brunt and left a sizeable patch of skin on the road image Never managed that before and somewhat embarassed, although have to say I thought the second mat looked a bit deep (maybe even a shag pile image) Shame I didn't trip over the first mat as I would have landed on the second. Mind you I probably would have got friction burns then  !

Still the guys at the line were good. Making sure I waited a moment and then helping me up. Mick sent me in the direction of St Johns to get patched up.

• Options
    you are too kind Sir, thank you
  • Options
    always a pleasure....
  • Options
    OMG - never look my best in running pics but most of those are truely bad!
  • Options
    I only have one and its firkin awful .. looks like I am trudging up the side of a mountain
  • Options

Thanks Mick et al. The race was once again well organised and the marshals friendly, especially the enthusiastic policewoman. I don't know why people kept going on about that underpass thingy. I flew through it..

There is one gripe-the amount of bottles that are wasted. Most people just take a few mouthfuls then throw the bottle aside ready for landfill.

(Now I am going to get slated by people who are unable to drink out of a cup while running and prefer a bottle(or two)).

• Options

Boo hiss - my chip time was about 29 seconds slower than my Garmin time, and my photos are flippin awful!

Otherwise I really enjoyed this.  I did get my second best half marathon time, missing out on a PB by 45 seconds or 1 min 14 seconds depending on whether you go by chip time or watch time...  I actually got my PB on at this race 2 years ago (missed it last year due to injury), so I guess I'll be back again next year to try again! 

If it hadn't been for that pesky headwind in the last few miles, I might have done it this time round!

• Options

Straitjacket - yes who was that whinger that kept going on about the restricted space in the underpass image It was OK but it if had been in the first two miles, it would have been fun ! Yes the Policewoman was giving plenty of support.

Don't start the bottle discussion !!!!

It always generates a lot of debate. People are usually roughly 50/50 split between preferring cups and preferring bottles. Also the difference in land-fill between the two probably isn't that much. Except for the fact that as the cups are lighter, many never make it to land-fill but end up living in a hedge for 14 months image It is easier for organisers to transport bottles and just undo the lid rather than transporting cups and water containers and filling them (the wind makes that fun as well).

• Options

The bottles also contain water that has to be transported from wherever it is bottled, and that usually makes bottled water 'worse' than tap water, even if the tap water is served in plastic cups. And the plastic cups will also use less plastic 'per head' than the bottle per person.

Having said that, I wouldn't have wanted to be manning a water station using cups yesterday.

Solution really ought to be for runners to bring their own water in a reusable bottle or bottles, and carry enough for the race, and not rely on the organisers to provide it.  There could be water stations where you swap a reusable bottle for a full reusable bottle and get some money back when you return it at the end.

• Options

#1442 Darkman - 1:29 - on Garmin 1:29:38 was near the front at the start so should be accurate
    #97 Hashette - 1:58 - finished on 1.58.50 chip time
    #1135 Tim of MK - 1:48
    #1113 Troglodytes - 2:10 - on Garmin 2:11:15 (13.39miles)
    #2178 Wine Man - 1:50:00 - 1:55:40 on my watch
    #856 Icemaiden - 2:15:00 - unofficially 2:16:57, but still a PB image knickers to that wind though.
    #531 Scrabble - 1:39:59 - 1:38:50 on Garmin and 1:39:50 on clock so pretty sure I finally went sub 1:40!!
    #43 Melds - 2.15 ... ish! 
    #1423 Aviator - 1:40:23

Well done all!

• Options
    Tim of MKTim of MK ✭✭✭

I'm a great fan of bottles.   But then I do drain each and every one that I take,  as I lose loads of liquid.  

Those wee plastic cups don't give me nearly enough,  so at races where they're offered I have to stop completely at each drinks station and drink two to three cups full.   

But I agree,  there were loads of runners who just took a couple of  sips and discarded their bottles.

Perhaps the solution,  at bigger events like this,  might be to offer a choice.  Or alternatively smaller bottles.

But please,  no return to just half-filled cups.  

• Options
    DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭

Gatton

Your request before the start to ask slower runners not to stand at the front was heeded by a couple near me who decided to go back further.  The start near the front was smooth and didn't see anyone tripped up and everyone around me got out clean and smoothly onto the road.  Didn't realise that was you so will look out for you next race you attend.

Looked at my finish times Gun time: 1:29:41 Chip Time: 1:29:36 Position: 144th MV50 Position: 9th very pleased with that, was my 3rd half this year.  Now thinking about this Sunday when I'm running the Ashby 20 a longer distance obviously so pace is all important.  See if I can beat 2hrs 20mins for this one for a PB.

My thought is bottles are better, they can be fully recycled I should know I worked many years ago for a company that made the PET bottles for pop and spring water.  Although they should be from a local water source like Asbourne Water not from some mountain in Switzerland or Iceland.

• Options
    Darkman .....  it was my pleasure. Glad that some did in fact listen....  Pity I didn't catch you at the finish..... will  try harder next time. ....   Look forward to seeing you again somewhere around... will be at Oakley 20 mile on 16th March....... Running....
  • Options
    Gatton, I couldn't hear a word you were saying.image
    (But then again I think I am going deaf)
  • Options

Interesting .. how far from the front were you. i seem to think that the speakers were not powerfull enough.. (they were not mine)

• Options
    DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭

Gatton

I will be running in the Stafford HM on the 16th then the Friskney HM on the 30th.  Not running the FLM but running in the White Peak Marathon on 16th May so looking for HM distances plus in a build up to the event.

I'm sure our paths will cross at some other event this year, maybe the 'other' MKhalf later on at the school, always enter that one as love that course as well.

• Options

Hi Darkman, Lara, Icemaiden and all

Sorry i didnt make it to this one and have not been on here for ages but i really went off running for a while.

i have no idea why, but im hopefully getting back into it now.

I hope you all had a great race. I really enjoyed this one last year and hope all the runners do this time.

Hopefully i can catch up with you all soon at another race, any suggestions 

Take care all and happy running.

Leon.

• Options

TV pictures of the race can now be found on the Bucks TV website at

http://www.buckstv.co.uk/miltonkeyneshalfmarathon2008.html

See if you can spot yourselves!

MickBrom

• Options
    DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭

Blimey

I made it onto the 'Winners' video its a brief shot but clearly me going over the line not long after they interview the winning lady.

Leon
    Had that feeling myself and stopped running for 3-4 months it happens to most people but once you get out there again you will realise you have missed it and soon get into the swing of wanting to run races again.