Options

Any newbie triathletes here?

Comments

• Options

Trust me, I'm not speedy! I was very near the back of my 800m, plus any one of you could probably cane me over 10,000m, let alone Half Mara. Must do 3000m next time I'm on track...

It's not just my racer that's messing about then Hanneke? Mine's bust 2 rear tubes in 2 days - One after changing the tyre and the brand new replacement after about a mile's ridingimage.

Speaking of skating, has anybody heard of or seen such a thing as a "Dryland Triathlon" I think it's Roller-skate/Bike/Run format, but that's all I know.

• Options
    Oh, I like that idea Pethead, we must investigate! Swap swimming for rollerblading? I'd do that any day!
  • Options

Pethead - sounds like a pinch flat to me.

I put the tube in carefully poking it in to the tyre and then inflate and reinflate a few times.  If you've caught the inner tube sometimes you can hear it move!

Hanneke - You could have borrowed it no problem!

• Options

Han, well done with the Man vs Horse that's an excellent time. BTW who won human or horse? I gather it was human last year! I hope you do find a "Dryland" triathlon - you'd be great at it!

I'm glad I'm allowed to include my commuting in my bike miles otherwise I'd be way down on miles. I've been making the most of national bike week and have been going out with a few groups who have advertised beginners sessions. Trouble is I think I'm somewhere in between beginners and road club standard! I'm going out again for 20 miles tonight (as long as the threatened downpour stays away) and am hoping the pace will be a *little* bit faster than last time.

ATM - good effot with the swimming. Have you tried using a pull buoy (spelling?!) - the float thingy that you put between your legs. I wouldn't recommend using it all the time, but it does give you the ability to slow things down and really concentrate on your arms and breathing without panic setting in. I reckon you could manage a length using one no problem!

• Options
    I love my big buoy...  but must part company with him now...  image
  • Options
    Well what do you expect if you will go getting all co-dependent on him image! Anyway - I bet he'd have been no use in your OW outing (apart fomr maybe strapping Hope's mobile to him to keep it above water! - was the mobile OK afterwards?)
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

'morning all.

Back from pool.I'm making progress. The ' breathe every third pull' is working for me. I still haven't made a length but the panic is over. I did try a pull buoy, RA, but it made me roll over and gave me more to worry about. Might have another go, though. Things got better the minute I slowed right down and concentrated on 'long arms'  * and decided that the pool staff would probably save me if it all goes wrong.*

Pethead and SLAW, you remind me that I have to learn to change a tube. So many things, so little time...image

• Options
    Rusty Annie wrote (see)
    Well what do you expect if you will go getting all co-dependent on him image! Anyway - I bet he'd have been no use in your OW outing (apart fomr maybe strapping Hope's mobile to him to keep it above water! - was the mobile OK afterwards?)

LOL mobi was fine, we got to it just on time! A minute later and it would have been swimming!!  image

I am definetely codependent on big buoy!!  I have cruised through 3k with him but can only do 1k without before I'm krackered...  but hey...  a long way from dying after 50 metres like I used to a month or so ago so he must have taught me something!  image

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    50 metres to 3000 in a month? image Yeah, that's what I like to hear. 
  • Options

I'd definitely agree about the pull buoy, they're brilliant for helping with crawl technique and for swimming for longer. I started using mine when I had a calf tear, and got really used to it.

Any advice on avoiding blisters with the 'no socks' option on the run? I really don't want to wear socks on Sunday, even though I'm not really worried about time for my first tri, but I don't want an extra thing to think about! 

• Options

Nam is our most imporved swimmer of the year I reckon image

RA, the horse won by 30 seconds this year... But I have to say, I am pleased to report I managed to beat quite a few horses! It isn't an easy course for a horse, lots of steep ups and downs, some downs actually have to be walked alongside your horse... so the horse is definitely not in a huge advantage over the humans...

• Options
    If you don't like the moulded pull buoys then try the other sort.  I find when I use the solid ones I tend to roll on to my back.  I prefer the ones which are like 2 stout cylinders of foam joined by a piece of cord threaded through both.  Much much better and I don't over rotate with them. 
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Thanks SLAW.  I couldn't get the hang of the solid one and haven't seen any other kind. I'll have a look around.
  • Options

I've never seen one for sale although I've not looked, but my local pool does have them.

I've never unwittingly pushed off from the wall and ended up on my back with one of those!

• Options

Hanneke, nice one - I hope you're happy.

Tri top & number belt arrived today - Are the tops supposed to be short? Mine strikes me as more of a crop-top or whatever than a vest! Either way, I'll try it out in the outdoor pool tomorrow, weather permitting.

Got dad-pethead on my racer today  - What a joke! Hated itimage

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

7.00 a.m.30 metres, front crawl. imageNext week, a length. * Maybe..*

Ah, I see your ' pirate' flag, pethead. 'Atta boy! How did the outdoor swim go?

• Options

Weather wasn't great over here and the leisure centre hadn't opened the pool. I'm trying again in a couple of hours though...

ATM - Could you improvise a pull-buoy by buying one of those pole-shaped floats for kids, cutting two sections off it, and then roping them together? 

• Options
    Hanneke - Om Namah Shivaya! wrote (see)

Nam is our most imporved swimmer of the year I reckon image

nooooo... cos the point is I'm crap without it!!!!!  Did 500m without yesterday and felt shattered!!! image
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

I haven't seen the thing you're both describing, Nam, there's none at my local pool, none in the shop...and I can't imagine how you use it...

Here's a challenge. Tell me, again, in detail... image I've seen much bigger , solid, pull-buoys. I wonder if they'd be easier to use than the small one that made me roll so much?

• Options

this thingie... image

http://www.texasswimshop.com/store/catalog/Speedo%20Pull%20Buoy.jpg

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Nam...That's the one you use? I've seen that kind...and it doesn't make you roll over? * I used a much smaller, fatter one but was more unstable with it than without...*

Pethead, is the one in the picture the thingy you're talking about, too?

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

I've found a picture of a different kind....but don't know how I'd use this

• Options

I had this one but the shape wasn't right for me and it chafed me... image

http://www.gb-sports.co.uk/speedo_pullbuoy.jpg

but Hope (fellow forumite) really liked it so we swapped and I'm using one of these now... 

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/412YgiUo-VL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

and like it very much.  image
  • Options

There are also these...

http://www.metroswimshop.com/images/8806-2T.jpg

but I've not tried using one so can't comment.
  • Options
    ATM, that one you gave a link to was what I was talking about and what SLAW was recommending.
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

OK. I was using one like the one that chaffed you so maybe the zogg one's the way to go. I can see that it would help me not to have to think about my legs...

I'd better get back to panicking about my teeny, tiny, tri on Saturday.image

• Options

Hi everyone,

Pethead I hope the outdoor swim went ok. I don't know about male tri-tops; but the female ones seem to come in two varieties: one that is definitely a crop top and one that is more of a vest comes comfortably down over the top of shorts and stops at about hip height . I'm not sure if that helps!

Han - I am in awe at your hill running skills. We did a 5 1/2 mile run last night involving a couple of pretty steep hills and I'm having an impromptu rest day today as my knee is not behaving! Is it just a matter of practice?

ATM in our swimming pool 30m is more than a length - so I guess you're swimming in a 50m pool. Anyway - keep up the good work!

I'm off to collect a wet-suit this evening that I'm borrowing for a couple of weeks. I'm stupidly excited about the whole idea!

ATM - is your mini-try-a-tri this weekend. If so - good luck. I'm sure you'll have a riot.

• Options
    ATM, good luck with your tri on Saturday. I'm getting very excited (and nervous) about mine on Sunday! Can't wait to get there and get on with it now.
  • Options
    I have a sort of v-shaped one which can be used with the hands as a normal float thingy, or put between the legs. works fine for me though I swim pretty feebly without it.
  • Options

Oops - sorry ATM I cross-posted with you! Good luck on Saturday, it'll be great!

And good luck on Sunday LA J-L! I can't advise about running without socks - I use very thin short socks (more trainer liners really) and I managed to put them on over wet feet without a problem. Now putting a top on over a wet swim-suit/tri-top that is a far more difficult task!!