Options

Any newbie triathletes here?

Comments

• Options

Thanks Rusty. I've entered the West Wight triathlon - its starts with a pool swim (600m), 35k bike then 7.5k run.

I am comfortable with both the run and swim - certainly won't be the fastest but can complete both ok. My weak area is the bike - this is a very new discipline for me. I just need to get out on my road bike and get some miles under my belt. image

I'm really looking forward to it and if I enjoy it, I'll plan some solid training over the winter ready for next season.

We have nice, friendly Tri group on IOW so I'm hoping to meet some training mates for some support & encouragement and less weird looks than I get from my usual group of friends!! image

• Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭

hi all, I did mine yesterday and it was so windy but such fun, report

try a tri went well, very windy, saw ajh!  The worst part for me was the swim, awful awful, I set off to quick and by the end of the first length I couldn't breathe!  I  had to do all the lengths with my head out of the water then cos I just felt so puffy, my mate who watched said I looked like i handled the swim really well, no no.  Anyway, I think I was pretty quick in the transition, well no cleats so I just chucked on my running shoes shorts and t shirt, helmet then off I went.  The bike was good but so so windy, fairly hilly too I think. My work mate whizzed past me about a quarter mile from the transition but when I got there he was faffing about with his shoes etc and so I shot out ahead of him, expected him to run past at any mo and he didn't,  the legs took some time to get going, actually they only got going on the final stretch when I attempted to sprint still expecting my mate to whizz by but he didn't catch me!!  Well I was not last this time, I think out of 126 people 31 were slower than me. Really great event, well organised and I really should not have eaten the croissant and the danish

Anyone know of any other sprint tri's not a million miles from London coming up?

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options

Well done Wabo, glad you ejoyed it. Which one was it?

My feet did indeed survive the sockless run, I had put liberal amounts of vaseline inside my shoes and sprinkled them with talc, which may have helped.

CrazyH, I was really worried about transitions, but strangely really enjoyed them! It wasn't too hectic, because we were on staggered starts because of the pool swim (which I guess will be the same at West Wight), and I managed to get everything on quite quickly. Weirdly, you forget that you are wet, and actually the sun was out so I dried off pretty quickly. I did practice my transitions at home, and I had everything laid out on a towel readyy for each one. I would say don't worry about them too much, even though I practiced I didn't put everything on in the order I planned! 

Not sure when next one is, although I might fo Reading Supersprint in two weeks, which is another short one. Otherwise there's Andover, and West Wight, so plenty to choose from. 

• Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭

lajl, I loved it  and like you I found the transitions pretty ok really. I also ran sockless, something I never do, and my feet were fine.  Its weird that! Whats the reading one in a couple of weeks?

Mine was Epping try a tri.

• Options

The Reading one is a 'Human Race' event, so I think it will be quite big. It's a 400m swim, 15k bike and 3k run. Good beginners one I should think.

I did try running sockless once before the day, but got a blister, hence the large amounts of vaseline! It worked!  

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Well done, you three!

RA, the sea on the east coast...arghhhh...it's cold enough on land. I've got terrible circulation and the idea of swimming in the sea, even in a wetsuit, does kind of worry me. Are your hands and feet cold, generally? Does it make any difference, do you think ...or is everyone freezing? Did your fingers thaw out enough to deal with your shoes?Maybe that's another good reason for having velcro-fastening bike shoes at T1 ....

Jane and Wabo,sounds like you had great experiences. Your accounts make it clear you had fun. Will will be seeing that video on youtube, jane? imageGood point, wabo, about setting off too fast in the swim. Next time, you'll do it differently.And you managed a sprint finish. Yeah, well done you!

• Options
    Well done Wabo - great report and well done for managing in the evil wind!  And who cares about the Danish and Croissant, surely that's the whole point of Tri: exercise hard and then stuff yourself silly. It works for me!
  • Options

Well done everybody - top notch tris.

All is quiet in Casa Pethead!

• Options

Well done Wabo, didn't envy you in that wind. Was the croissant and Danish before or after the event?! Surely after counts as necassary carbs? (Waddles off to eat more toast)

• Options
    That swimming video won't be featuring on youtube if I have anything to do with it!
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭

def after the event but the huge bowl of porridge was before!

Want to do another now!

• Options
    I managed to polish off a big roast beef lunch afterwards Wabo, and I was still hungry!
  • Options

errmm....*waves*
    Hello! been lurking for a while so thought i'd say hi as you all seem a friendly bunch!
    Am complete newbie to tri, but can run slowly but consistently, can swim... err, not great, and can cycle, but fitness is rubbish!
    I'm thinking of planning my first event for next year sometime so i've got time to get sorted
    So if its ok with everyone i'll lurk here image

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Hello, Stripes. Several of us are brand new to this so you've got company. And you can swim !

Whereabouts are you? Are you thinking of chosing an event and training for it?

• Options

Hello Stripes - you are not alone! I have not done my first yet. Some great advice here if you scroll back through the thread a couple of pages.

All - I've been invited to join my local tri club for a sea swim this evening. Its a beautiful evening but I'm terrified of looking a muppet image in front of all these seriously fit n scary people. What d'you think? Should I go anyway?

• Options

Wabo - theres the Concord tri in mid August.  Details here

Theres a thread about it somewhere on here too.

• Options

Thanks for the welcome image
    ATM - i'm a student, so at the moment i'm at home in Cornwall, but in term time am at uni in Aberystwyth, parents likely to be moving to Wales too, so will be based there by the end of this year.
    I'm thinking about picking one of the big beginner friendly tris next summer - heard good things about Blenheim, or maybe the big london one, as they're relatively easy for me to travel to.
    I've got a 10k in sept, then am going to do silverstone half in march, then hopefully FLM if the ballot is kind! so will keep up with the cycling and swimming alongside training for those hopefully.

Crazy H - hello image, and you should do the sea swim, at least you know you've got experienced people who can help you out if you need it.

Am also trying to search for some open water swimming places, as can't really go in the sea on my own!!

• Options

Welcome Stripes!

Crazy H go for it. Chances are not all club people will be seriously fit and scary and even if they are they may not be any better at swimming than you. And all us newbies need some friendly faces to get us started in OW somehow. About 5 weeks ago I could not manage 250m in OW without panicking and through local OW sessions can now manage 2000m. (not tried sea though!)

• Options

Welcome stripes and well done wabu! Lol at you not changing shoes and beating your mate through T2!

Anyone who cycled yesterday did well. It was pretty brutal out there.

Events are listed on the british tri association website or in 220 mag. If you join the BTA you get a book listing most (but not all events).
  • Options
    CrazyH - go, go, go! You will not look a muppet - I guarantee everyone will be friendly, especially when you tell them it is your first time. You'll have a great time - and it's a great excuse to stuff yourself with hot drinks and chocolate afterwards! If I could do it yesterday in the baltic North you can do it too!
  • Options

Welcome aboard Stripes!

imageLittle Devil on your shoulder image Why not enter a tri this year? There are plenty of training plans to get you to a level of fitness where you can finish a tri in about 12 weeks - which by my calculations takes us to the middle of September! Everyone here will tell you that the only important thing on your first outing is to enjoy yourself and finish with a smile on your face. I bet there are some novice friendly events around mid to end September, from memory there's the Nantwich one on 23rd September (I think) which *loads* of novice piratey folk are doing.

Just a thought!

• Options

I got myself all psyched up....and it didn't happen image It was cancelled at the last minute as only a couple were going. BUT...

now that you've all egged me on I will def do the next one and will report back on muppet-ness or otherwise image

So I will go out for a spin on the bike instead.....never let it be said that I lounge around doin nothin

• Options

Aw, bad luck CrazyH!

Stripes - Unless you're oop north why not join me at the Cotswold Sprint Tri? They've got a nice short Novice/U17 race which would seem do-ableimage
    EDITED - Wales eh? Not up north I see.

• Options

hmmm.....had thought about doing one this year, but couldn't decide whether i could fit it in.
    the main problem is getting to/from anywhere as i don't have a car.  The nantwich one looks like its gonna be great fun, but not sure i can do it as its the first weekend i have to be back at uni....possible tho if i can work out a way to get there....

Pethead - um, showing my lack of geography ability here...whereabouts is the Cotswold one?! obviously in the cotswolds....

so, yeah, i think i'd quite like to do one this year, but lack of ability at arranging travel plans could be an issue!!

Afternoon everyone image

• Options

Who's in Wales?

Plenty of numpty tris here too.

• Options

9.8. Cymmer Tri (very numpty)

31.8. Cardiff Sprint Tri

and North West Tri (Nantwich) is on the 21st Sept... not 23rd

• Options

Hi Nam, I'm in Wales during uni term time (at Aber), in Cornwall at the moment

The North West (Nantwich) Tri looks like it would be fun, and well supported, so i shall have a think to see if i could get there!!

• Options

@ Stripes - The Cotswold Tri is at Keynes Country Park, off the A419, The Cotswolds. It's kind of in-between Cirencester and Swindon if you get my drift.

http://www.triferris.com/cotswold/index.html

• Options
    thanks Pethead, that one looks very beginner friendly image  will have a think about how easily i can get to one/find somewhere to stay, would involve taking bike on train tho image 
  • Options
    Thinking of doing the Cardiff Sprint Tri myself as I enjoyed the Cardiff Try a Tri, also seriously considering Cotswold Tri.  The lake is quite clear there, but would involve getting hold of a wetsuit (more money!).  OH doesn't seem to mind too much especially after I pointed out that she was the one who noticed the advert for the race in Triathlete's World.