Options

Any newbie triathletes here?

Comments

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Waaaaaaaaa! I'm swimming in a 25 metre pool so my spectacular swim was nearer 15 m image Never mind. I'm improving...

Thanks, RA for the best wishes. Good luck to you, too la-jane. I'm rather looking forward to the' get the socks and shoes on' bit just to see...I think I'll just bike/run in the tri suit. It can't possibly be colder than running at night in the winter. Won't be pretty, though...

• Options
    Thanks RA and ATM. I am going to go without socks I think, with plenty of talc and vaseline (yes, sounds like a dodgy combination if this wasn't a running site!) And I am going to go for the tri suit for the whole thing as well unless it's really cold!! I'm not sure how I feel about the look of a tri suit either ATM.....but I'm going for it anyway. I think I'm going to look like an 'all the gear but no idea' ha ha!
  • Options
    I just figured out that the IM swim is 77 lengths of my 50m pool at a pace of 1.5 mins each length in order to scrape through in 2 hours......   mmmm.... image
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Are you training for a specific Ironman, Nam?

jane, I, too, will look like a right prawn as soon as I hit the water in all the gear....but I'm taking the tack of ' clothes-for-the-job' and forgiving myself for swanning around in materials that hadn't been developed when I was young enough to carry them off. RA assures me that no one will actually notice who's wearing what. Talc. Good idea.

• Options
    I'm toying with the idea of joining the gang at IMCH next year.  I go through phases of thinking "this is manageable if you train properly" or thinking that I deserve to be sectioned!  image
  • Options

image if you behave yourself. image

• Options

But............but...................but..................I is ALWAYS good!  image

Just reading back about your pull buoy discussion and I have the blue see through pullbuoy.  It's great because you fill it up with water, so you are increasing the "weight" you have to pull through the water.  Not possibly good if you haven't quite sorted out your drag yet.  It does float, but I use it more for increasing the weight I have to pull through the water...

• Options
    PloddingOn wrote (see)

I use it more for increasing the weight I have to pull through the water...

You've just brought back memories of a truely bizarre drill we did at tri club a couple of weeks ago. The erson in front has their ankles together, secured with an over-sized rubber band. They then thread a second rubber band through the first one (don't try this at home unless you are/were a boy scout !!!) and the person behind holds onto the second rubber band. The first person then attempts to swim down the pool using crawl arms only with the second person trying to be towed along behind themimage.

It's actually harder to be the second person and in my case involved swallowing one hell of a lot of water!

• Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    I tried the cycling without padded shorts on sunday, think rio suggested that? It was certainly a bit better, I did 19 miles and wasn't too uncomfortable.  Doing my try a tri on sunday and really looking forward to it!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nam

You've plenty of time, I think your "manageable" quote applies. I'd also stick with my natural running technique and strengthen the required leg muscles.

You just need to up the training distances a bit.

Thats the full benefit of my zero Tri experience - so feel free to bin that advice.
  • Options

Ha ha ha!  image

I am in the same boat as Nam.

Except I was dumb enough to say I would do IM Lanza next year

Here's hoping it fills up!!  image

• Options

That outdoor swim was a bit different! A notice said the water was 15'C, and I was the only one in the pool! I could barely breathe on my laughable "warmup" swim, but in the end I got moving and managed about 500m. My tri kit seemed OK, but afterwards I felt in no fit state to bicycle 20K. Swim/Bike bricks needed methinks.

RA - We tried something like that years back in swimming lessons - One person holding onto anothers ankles, front had to pull, back had to kick. Not easy!

PO - If I was old enough to IM then I'd be the first to enter idiotically...  

• Options

ATM, 'clothes for the job' is definitely a good descrption! Might as well look the part! I tried talc the other day and it was helpful I think.

IM sounds rather a daunting prospect... but the I said that about marathons when I started running.... 

• Options

RA - re hill running... you need to build up your quads especially in order to do it properly... also the ITB works very hard in stabilising the hip and knee joints, so tends to get tight and needs a lot of stretching... that is probably the cause of your knee pain??? I love it, especially charging downhill image

Feel a bit aware of lack of bike training since Stratford and Hereford is looming on the 6th... oh well, Man v. Horse is out of the way now, so maybe some more miles on the bike are in order... at least the fell running has strengthened my quads, which is useful on the bike image

• Options
    Pethead is that 15 degrees without a wetsuits? Brrr!!!
  • Options

Can I ask what you ladies do in terms of tops/bras.  All my running bras are petty sturdy affairs on account of the D chest (that used to be a G so requires a lot of support).  I cannot imagine just how yuck they are going to feel wet.  Anyone good any good advice?

Also - do you all just batter along the roads on your bikes beside all the cars. I am still finding it a bit daunting and amazed at just how fast and how close the traffic is getting to my legs - especially with the roads being in a disgraceful state and it only being a 30mph zone...... not even going to mention the buses.

• Options

Sluggie - Yep, no wetsuits. They're very expensive aren't they?

GymAddict - I try to do some of my riding on smooth cycleway, but I'm not averse to mixing it with the cars on the road.

• Options
    Pethead - how old are you?
  • Options
    Ah gotcha.  2 more years then
  • Options

Hello! I'm new to this site and new to tri - signed up for my first one in Sept.

Any advice for a novice?

• Options

Er... bit of a general question...  just enjoy it???

How much novice are you??  Some people call themselves 'novice' only because they can't swim a 6min 400m...

Where are you at with swim/bike/run?

What's the race?

• Options

Fair point!

I've always done lots of running, am building up my swimming and I've just got a tri road bike.

I live on the Isle of Wight so I have entered the West Wight Triathlon in Sept - its a sprint distance so I hope should be a reasonable entry level race.

• Options

Some people enter races unable to swim, not yet owning a bike and being new to running...  image

There are degrees of 'newbie'...

Is it an open water swim?

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Hi, crazyH.

Just back from my first, very mini, Tri and I had a great time image It was harder than I thought...partly the excitement, I think . I didn't notice any 'jelly legs' between the bike and the run...although the bike was only 3k so that probably explains that...but I was surprised how taxing the run, itself, was. The tri-suit and belt made everything easier.

The whole thing was fun and I certainly want to do more. I do, however, realise that I'm going to have to train a lot harder even for a sprint. And mastering the crawl is now a priority.

Great atmosphere, St. Andrew's Ambulance in attendance,lovely marshalls, great T-shirt!

• Options

NICE one ATM! Glad you enjoyed it.

CrazyH - I'm a very new triathlete myself but these are a few kinda general tips I've picked up:

Swim: Try to swim front crawl if you can.
    If it's open water, think about a wetsuit.
    Don't kick your legs wildly - You need them later!

Bike: Make sure your bike fits you.
    Make sure nothing's going to break.
    Don't huff and puff pushing difficult gears - shift down and spin the pedals a bit more.

Run: Just run to the finish and don't give up!

General: Practice transitions. Have some way of getting your shoes on fast.
    Consider buying some Tri kit.

• Options

well done ATM.  No longer a complete novice then image

Yep, that's a pretty good summary Pethead image

Top tip for good cheap kit.... elastic laces.  Save you about 2 minutes.

• Options
    ATM wrote (see)

I didn't notice any 'jelly legs' between the bike and the run...although the bike was only 3k so that probably explains that...but I was surprised how taxing the run, itself, was.

3k bike??????????  That's less than 5 minutes...??  How long was the run - 200 metres??