Options

Six Nations 2008

Comments

• Options

True but you usually have to drink it sat with some lawyer or other fool who only turns up so they can escape there wife and drinks to much purely to hide there secret desire to wear dresses. There is always one in every club.image

• Options
    I don't think there are many of them in Welsh rugby clubs - apart from Tri Taffia of course

• Options

Suddenly the sheep is explained image

Back to the rugby, can anyone tell me just how bad the desision regarding the welsh try was, because was working and stoner house mate forgot to tape it.

• Options
    It just made a mockery of  the whole point of having this technology., it wasn't like there were any tricky angles or anything. Toe dragging on the line = out. Simple really.
  • Options
    I've seen worse decisions than that one - both for and against - it was very very close but I agree that the decision was wrong - the try should not have been given on the video evidence but maybe the video ref has access to more angles than the viewing public?

as it happened it didn't affect the outcome and Wales were already holding a solid if small lead at the time.........it just helped flatter the score a bit more at the end....
  • Options
    FB in answer to you question as to why they can't play I think they are all paid too much.  The real deep down desire to put yourself / body on the line, which might affect your club appearances and thus your renumeration, isn't there.  Sad state I know but especially prevallent in the Football game.  How can anyone be justifyable paid in excess of 145K a week to kick a football?  Even the teenagers are paid 20K a week these days!
  • Options
    Little Nemo, to answer earlier question, the running comes first in that case as the race in question is the UK intercounties XC champs. There are many races that I might miss for the rugby but not that one. In response to those who thought the weekends action was poor, I thought France v Ireland was a belter, yes with errors, but ones that came about through playing with ambition in a high pressure situation. I really enjoyed it. 
  • Options

Huge

Williams has said in the welshpress. You get some trys disallowed when they could be allowed and also the otherway around. It happened, it will happen again. Even the 4th offical is only human.

• Options
    Why are the rules different in the 6 nations for awarding points? It seems that you get 2 points for a win or 1 point for a draw. In all the other leagues including the group stage in the world cup there are bonus points for how many tries get scored etc.
  • Options

Cos I think bonus points would mess the workings of a grandslam up.

The tournment is to small to sustain bonus points like magners league can.

• Options
    errm - why not??

it's neither a knock out tournament where accumulating bonus points can help final group placings for the knock out stages; or a championship league where final point standings decide play-offs/European cup//relegation/promotion etc....

it's a straightforward, play 5 games and see who tops the list - if you get a joint winner so be it..........it's the way the 5/6 Nations has always been so why change??

• Options

Group games that go onto knock out stages need bouns points helps with seeding.

I can't see bonus points affecting the 6 nations that much or IRB would have them in there. However if the 2 tier 7/8 how ever many nations goes ahead I think they will add bonus points to the mix.

• Options

I read somewhere that if they had had the bonus points system last year then Ireland would have come top instead of France. For obvious reasons I'm against!

HC, fair enough it sounds a v. important race. Good luck with it! At least you watch it later on the iPlayer thingummy.

What am I going to do this weekend with no rugby to watch? God, I might have to do some housework! image

• Options
    Jones back in for Hook?????
  • Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/7238880.stmNot sure about Jones. Sometimes genius, sometimes a complete donkey. Pop fine, as long as he holds his temper.
  • Options
    methinks Wellies is back to put a steady hand on the tiller as Italy will come out all guns I reckon.........build a good lead and Hook will be on ptonto to rip them to shreds........

and he's gone for a scrummaging front row as against mobility

and Jamie Roberts didn't really impress - bit of a donkey compared to Mark Jones - but his time will come I reckon
  • Options
    NOt sure about that selection... why change Hook if he isn't injured?
  • Options
    for reasons I said B - to give Wales a steady tactical start. one of Gatland's complaints about Hook is his communication - he doesn't boss the backline about unlike Wellies who is always nagging and cajoling....

against Italy, Wales will need to be on the ball as I reckon Italy will fancy their chances after the way they took England on - but Masi at No 10 is no kicker and Wellies may exploit that more than Hook who's still learning to adapt at top level
  • Options

solidity rather than flair, eh?

Well so far That antipodean coach hasn't been too far wrong.. picking all those seagulls..

• Options

My concern is putting in Rhys Thomas, with no Adam Jones on the bench, against a very strong scrummaging front row.  From what I've seen, Rhys Thomas is not a strong scrummager, and Gethin Jenkins is not a tight-head, as he proved in the first couple of scrums after he came on against England.

I think Gatland is being brave and havinga look at his squad more than worrying about immediate results, which is the right way to go.  Having said which, as I'm trogging down to Cardiff for the Italy game, I'll be miserable if we stuff that one up.

• Options

BOING!

So, anyone brave enough to make some predictions for Saturday?

I predict an easy victory for Ireland against Scotland and a closer one for Wales against Italy. Can't quite decide on France v. England. I'm hoping that France can play the way they did against Ireland in the first half and have a comfortable victory. However I also have a sneaking feeling that England will raise their game and bully the scrum and grind out a close victory.

Sod it, I'm going for blind optimism - France to squash England!*

ALLEZ LES BLEUS!!! image

* You can make me eat humble pie later if I'm wrong...

• Options
    wins for Wales, France and Ireland
  • Options

Wales Win, but better be a good steady performance.

France to win, I feel england may have a slight kicking.

Ireland to scrape it. Scotland not showing the best of the tournment.

• Options

Tri,

We are going to get a big kicking on Saturday but what if? will you be cheering the English on because if we win just think what that would do for the welsh in the table!

Sorry just wanted to mess with your mind a little, did it work are you going to be singing jerusalem now? image

• Options

Sorry just wanted to mess with your mind a little

LOL! I'm 1/2 french! ha ha ha ha ha only day that f8cks with my head is Wales V France.

• Options

Dam it forgot! image

Sincerely hope the welsh go all the way this year by the way. they are the only team that disserve a grand slam. image

French drops cheval or would have been slyly rooting for them a little other that the England game of course.

• Options

Best laugh I have had was France beating england couple of years back.

I was wearing a french shirt in the middle of a welsh workingmens club. Sea of red shirts and me with a nice french top on. Score flashed up, never had so many pints bought for me. For some reason they belived me to be french!

• Options

Frank Hadden continues to baffle with his selection.

He travels to watch Chris Paterson play his worst game of the season for Gloucester (getting hooked after 54 minutes) and duly decides to start with him at no10. Hmm. ok.

Simon Webster in at centre. A possibility but not really the best time for an experiment. Hamilton has been the better of the locks (Hines has been oddly subdued) so of course Hamilton is dropped.

Out of form Jason White saved by injury one suspects.

Can only predict a victory for a similarily below-par Irish.

• Options

Wales & Ireland should win well, although Italy are developing a habit of never getting beaten out of sight & Scotland often keep the score down with a dull physicality and lack of real ambition to win, but might keep the score close.

France are a better side than England on what we've seen in this tournament, but they're scrum has been pushed around by Ireland & Scotland so a similar scenario to England's unfancied triumph over the Aussies in the World Cup quarters might be on the cards. I'm still going for France on balance of probability but there is a glaring weakness there.

I'm running the English National XC so might see the evening kick off but not the other two.