Options

The Official RW Forum Treadmill Record Attempt!

Comments

• Options
    Odeon1085Odeon1085 ✭✭✭

NTS- Replied already. On the basis of Glyn's advice, are we going to have money bins/buckets for people to contribute as they  visit. I for one know I will need at least one bargain bucket in the 48 hours if not 2 image

Red DS racers for my last stint. Don't care what anyone says.

• Options

Ode the choice of champions son.  Good call.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000CMTJ1C.01-AQRFB0FG6BNGS._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Asics you wear.

• Options

Cheers Ode (though weirdly it hasn't arrived yet...) - bins and buckets is another one of those organisational areas that should be really easy but is actually a logistical nightmare.

The council won't let anyone from the charity collect money in public there on a Friday (no idea why) and on Saturday it's booked for an alternative charity....... I think we can still collect provided that it's done on Lillywhites property rather than on public property but I'm still waiting confirmation on this.....so it's more red tape than red shoes for me... ;0(

• Options
    Hail Hail

Bleeuurrgghhh!
  • Options

Just popped in to wish you all Best of Luck on the World Record, but i'm sure you won't need it :¬)

Reading back it's impressive how much work is obviously going into the planning and organisation - hopefully the running will be the easy(ier) bit.

Good Luck

• Options

Okay so in a fortnight's time we'll be underway - assuming we have a mill and one of the 12 particiapants turns up.  The start time has been brought forward by 30mins so we get plenty more rest before the FLM - well actually it's to accomodate the presentation ceremony at the start.  The final Dirty Dozen has been decided upon and Dull is straining at the leash (well as much as a floppy labrador can strain at the leash) in case of any last minute disasters.  So I think we can safely say this is now a goer.

The groups and shifts etc are now decided and are as follows :-

Team 1 (RB, Crab, Njord, GR)
    Fri 07.30-12.30
    Fri/Sat 22.30-03.30
    Sat 13.30-18.30 

Team 2 (Neil, Ode, Phil, Pads)
    Fri 12.30-17.30
    Sat 03.30-08.30
    Sat 18.30-23.30 

Team 3 (Stick, Kempez, Orinocho, Rach)
    Fri 17.30-22.30
    Sat 08.30-13.30
    Sat/Sun 23.30-04.30 

Then team one handles the first hour of the group sesh (04.30-05.30) cheered on by Kempez and Rach, while (Orinocho and Nick try and catch 2 hours sleep before the marathon - lol), then team 2 shows up for the second hour (05.30.06.30) cheered on by pretty much everyone, and group 3 does the final fling (06.30-07.30.) Travel is sorted to the Heath at which point we'll split to get to our various starts. The record certificate presentation will be at the GREEN start. Those on other starts can be at the presentation as long as they don't mind then heading off to their own starts after - it's up to you.

Hope that makes (some sort of) sense.

As you WeRe.

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Nice one Crab. I'm really looking forward to getting up at 2am-ish for the 03:30-08:30! Mind you, I don't envy Orinocho and NtS having basically no sleep before the marathon. Should be a good laugh though, and we'll be WR holders in about 16 days' time (if all goes to plan).

Let's go for 500M - it's a nice round number.

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Padams, funnily enough I've had various people saying they'll be along for Friday afternoon and Saturday evening, but no one's mentioned 4am on Saturday!  I'm sure we'll get through it somehow...

Where do I stand with orange footwear?  My spare pair are blue if that's any use?

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Well, I'm one of your official witnesses, so if I draw the short straw, I'll be there at 4am on Saturday!

I'm saying nothing about 500 miles.  I'm the person who suggested tergat 222, after all.

• Options

Hail Hail

Where do I stand with orange footwear?  On your feet I'd guess, but its up to you.

Great job Crab and Nick.  All thats left to sort out is how many pairs of undercrackers to bring.

• Options
    Padams Re the 500 target

I did a back fag packet calculation based on my 24 hour atttempt back 4years ago.
    I covered 26 mile at 4km per min. Shortly after I ran a 3.06 at Cardiff. 4.4km per mile pace
    Assuming I had 4 hours to run over the 48, I reckon I could have maintained a similar pace, given the extra time to run. Also the treadmill had to stop for our effort.

So very roughly should be able to take 10% of your most recent mara pace time and get a good idea how fast to start.

Interestingly Ode has been saying he feels good at 15.5kmph. That pretty much equates to running a 3 hour marathon time using the above formula. Very close to his recent Luton time.

Anyway to cut a long story short I worked up figures for each group given the above the the results were roughly as follows

Group 1 5.48min pace
    Group 2 5.42min pace
    Group 3 5.54min pace

The average would be 5.48 which would mean 496 miles covered.

Two unknowns RachE and her endurance, and how PhilPub will hold up after Paris I assumed they could both perform at 15.5kmph pace.

I'm sure she could run a 3hour marathon, and he could as well even so soon after Paris.

So 500 might indeed be possible, although I saw Rach at lunchtime and she is carrying a slight foot injury.She still however reckons she'll be OK for the day.

Dull
  • Options

Padams oh yeah I see what you mean about Group 3 I hadn't thought of that...honest.  Lucky I ended up in Group 1 then I guess.  Was going to second you to Group 1 but thought hand picking the best time slots and runners might be a little too obvious.  As it is I don't think anyone will notice - our little secret eh?

RB given my previous I'm bringing every pair I've got.

joolska will you be a soloist or bringing the full orchestra to keep us entertained for the duration? If you play the FLM Theme I will not be responsible for my actions.

Funny how your cup is 3/4's empty when it applies to you but positively overflowing when it comes to every other poor sod eh Dull?.  You can stick 17km/h (quicker than my 10k pace!) where the sun don't shine - which in your world doesn't narrow it down that much I guess ;o)

As we WeRe then?

• Options
    CRAB You might surprise yourself. When I did my 24 hour stint I hadn't broken 40mins for 10k.

I set off for my first 5k session at 4.15 pace, realised it was too comfy, and moved down to 4.00 pace for my next 6. For my 7th (which I thought was going to be my last) I took it down to 6 minute mileing, and when asked to do one more blew up halfway thro, again at around 6 min mile pace.

Shortly after that I ran 40 for 10 on a treadmill.

It was 18 months later that I broke the 40 for 10k barrier on the road.

What you need to remember is that you can go considerably faster on the mill than the road.

Also this one will be set up going slightly downhill.

Dull

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Dull - that's a big fag packet!  Good work fella.  I wouldn't like to conjecture too much about how accurate your workings might be but I do know what 16.0kph (max speed at my gym) feels like under normal conditions, and I've always got Padams on my team to boot up the average!

I didn't realise we'd be on a slight downhill.  I'm going to replace my normal Saturday medium length but quickish run with a trip to the gym tomorrow, to try out the orange numbers (Nike Zoom Elite) on the mill at a reasonable speed.  So I'll probably go for something like 5 min warm-up, then 20 mins @ 16.0 on -0.5 gradient, a half-hour light weights session, then another 20 mins straight in at 16.0.  Should be good, sweaty fun!

• Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭

[pops li'l fluffy head out of Lurkdom]

erm...downhill? You'll knacker yer knees!

[pops back rather shyly]

• Options

Anyone needing media lessons over the next fortnight have a butcher's at our Ronnie ;o)

Shame he blew us out that would have been mental down at Blackheath - imagine Crammie's face!!

As you WeRe.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    What are you doing reading the (Virtual) Sun - there's far better norks to be viewed in the Star.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Fear not, Crab (and the rest of you!) the fiddle will remain in Brizzle.  I'm currently trying to find a fellow spectator to join me during the graveyard slot (3am to 7am...), but funnily enough no takers so far.
  • Options

Just to allay any fears, my ankle/foot problem is rapidly improving to the extent I haven't felt pain for days now. Endurance-wise I should be ok I think - although I don't run marathons, I do run multiple runs per day and normally average 280-320 miles per month....

On my way to the Alps right now for some altitude training (should be a skiing holiday but I'm too scared of hurting myself to ski!!!).

And as for spectators at 4am on a Saturday. At least the inevitable kebabs thrown at us will provide essential protein replenishment.

• Options
    Odeon1085Odeon1085 ✭✭✭

Have a great trip Rach. I know what you mean about not risking anything. I've already been given some advice about taking it steady atTuesday's impending fitness test and turning on the bleep.

CRAB- You're a ledge:

BBC Radio Glos- "What shifts will you be running?"

Ode: "Unfortunately I have been given the 4am-9am slot as one of my stints. However world records aren't given out easily and we all have to bear some pain in order to reach the target!"

All sounds vaguely familiar...

• Options

Just to clarify - they've now amended the rules so that the treadmill has to be set at a zero or positive gradient. So no downhill running (or knee knackering for us...)

Two weeks today it'll all be over..... 

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

NtS - I don't think we would have wanted to run downhill anyway! Good to hear they're actually setting some rules for this now - it should tighten it up for the future.

You have mail - not urgent or very exciting, but might be useful.

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Just as well I couldn't get my mill to go downhill then.  Session went as planned otherwise, i.e. 2 x 20mins @ 16kph.  Nice.  And shoes will definitely be orange.  And sweaty.

Enjoy your trip Rach!

• Options

Great job Padams! Love it!

RB - how're the legs today?

• Options

Hail Hail

Thanks for asking Nick.  No residual swelling, no pain on the walk to school, although my ....ahem.... derrier feels a tad bruised.  Will do something tomorrow, but should be ok.

• Options

Phew..... good stuff RB. You'll just about make it for your TV appearance then?

• Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    [pads out, knee concerns sorted] image
  • Options

Hail Hail

TV?  <makes appointment to get haircut just in case>

• Options

Ok team - I think it's a very good idea that we have a meeting on the Thursday evening so everyone knows exactly what needs to be done in terms of a) timekeeping b) filling in the log in conjunction with witnesses c) gathering the signed witness statements etc etc.

There's gonna be quite a lot more to this than just running!!

SO - do people think they could get to Lillywhites for 6.30 on the Thursday evening? 

• Options

Hi Nick

6.30 might be a little early as I need to get to the Expo to register on Thursday as well and I can't get there until the afternoon.  Can we make it 7 or 7.30?

Thanks

Neil