Options

The Official RW Forum Treadmill Record Attempt!

Comments

• Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Crab - the first lol of this particular thread - I couldn't even talk the walk. My money always was on GR anyways - not taken in by any of that 'doing a little bit stuff' ...however with Dull now lining-up, some dodgy accountancy inspired WAVA fortune goodbye formula on the way and the new dark horse.

That's one helluva team going for it now.

Glyn - Been reading your posts with great interest, that's some achievement. This dodgy bunch are worried by 4 hours.
  • Options

We did stop the treadmill between runners, which was a pain - but Guinness do state that all record attempts are to be within safety guidelines (as it's bad press for them if anyone gets injured on a GWR attempt) .

As for Nell ,she is a busy person and if she could, she would be there with you - that said you are all celebrities anyway for taking on such a record .

I have just had confirmation that I will be taking part in this year's London Marathon as a wheelchair athlete and though I know that a woman has taken part in the marathon as a runner and a wheelchair athlete , I am led to believe that I will be the first man - great eh ?

It means that I will definately be there in London and I WILL be cheering you all on.

Glyn Marston     

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Good luck Glyn, hope we will meet you at some point during the weekend.

RB/CRAB - 6 min/mile for the test run on Saturday, but maybe a bit faster during the actual event though. However, I've never run 5 min/mile for more than one mile, so I think that might be pushing it a bit! It would also be nice to make it round the marathon without too much pain!

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
  • Options

JUST FOUND OUT A DEVON TEAM WENT AND ADDED 35 MILES TO THE RECORD...... IT'S NOW 416 MILES.

THINGS JUST GOT A LITTLE TOUGHER PEOPLE.......!!

• Options

Ironically - given that most of the team is comprised of the sub-3 marathon thread - that means we need to average almost exactly 3.00-hour marathon pace for the whole 48. It's about 6.55 min/miling....

• Options

Hail Hail

NtS - might not be a bad idea, getting PR to do something with us.  She'll be doing BBC commentary no doubt, so might consider it.

• Options

Hi Guys!

Thought I would just come here and say hello!!  I am looking forward to this and it should be alot of fun!

For those of you who don't know me I guess you will get to know me and for those of you who do know me - sorry!!

Anyway - I have been thinking about the format for the teams and timings and such like and would like to make a proposal that has worked in the past.  If we have 3 teams of 4 people each then each runner can do 20 minute slots and in one 4 hour period, each runner in the team does 3 x 20 minute slots.  This gives each runner one hour off between each 20 minute effort and will enable us to maintain a high pace.  Then after 3 x 20 minute slots (i.e. one hour in total of running) that team will then get at least 8 hours off to eat, sleep and rest while the other two teams do their 4 hour stints.  This works because doing only 20 minute efforts means you can push hard and then you get an hour off which is plenty of time to cool down and then warm up again.  Plus this system has the advantage of giving each runner 8 hour slots to rest and (more importantly) to eat.

What do you think

Thanks

Neil

• Options
    NjordNjord ✭✭✭
    I must admit I like the sound of that system, Neil.   Not only because 20 minutes hard running, then 60 minutes rest sounds reasonable, but because with 4 people on a shift, there would be at least 3 non-active runners around to encourage/verbally abuse the active runner, fund-raise, change the music, water the flowers, fetch the doughnuts or whatever.   

Whatever the system, it might make sense to get everyone to put in a session as soon as possible after 8am on the Friday.  Otherwise, with teams of 4 covering 4 hour shifts, the final group wouldn’t start until 4pm – effectively running their quota in a 40 hour window rather than 48.  The same is also true if we go with teams of two covering 2 hours slots.  So how about run through the entire team in the first 4 hours (assuming 20 minutes per runner), and then split to 2 or 3 or 4 man ‘shifts’ thereafter?  To complete the 48 hours, each final shift on Sunday night would be that little bit shorter because of the Friday morning round robin.

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Wow, that's getting complicated! Definitely scope for lots of Excel spreadsheets, awesome.

I was thinking about this the other day, and came to a similar conclusion to Neil i.e. ideally you want more than two in a group for the reasons Njord mentions (not sure I will be doing much flower-watering though). However, personally I would like more than 8 hours off in one go, because by the time you eat, travel back to a bed etc. you will probably only get about 5 hours sleep. I need my 8 hours beauty sleep.

How about teams of three, in four hour shifts? That would give 12 hour breaks and 80 minutes of running in each shift, and you would have to do that 3 times. Up to the teams to decide how to break up the shift e.g. 20 minute or 40 minute bursts.

I like Njord's idea of everyone having a quick go at the start, so would need to adjust for that.

• Options

Blimey, it's all gone a bit logic puzzle on here eh?

Some points:

For Guinness WR rules, we have to have 2 witnesses present at all times throughout the 48 hours (which is gonna be a real pain to organise) and these can't be the runners themselves or any relations to the runners. So we will have some supporters there throughout, although I agree, the more the merrier, especially during the graveyard shifts....

RB I know can't make it to London till the Friday afternoon.

Would we want to do a round-robin at the end too, for a final mileage push? (It'd be nice if the team went from treadmill to FLM start-line en masse....especially if the Beeb send the cameras down for that bit.)

And finally - and this may be just me - but I think I'd be better with shorter recoveries than an hour. I'd cool right down. I quite like Padams' 3-in-a-team idea.

One final thing (and Padams isn't gonna like this!!) but there is no rule saying that each team member has to run for four hours each. So theoretically (and I'm just saying theoretically) the faster ones could do slightly longer shifts if it means we rack up more miles..... 

• Options

We can use my office as a base, if people would like? I work on Trafalgar Square which is about 5 mins walk from Piccadilly. I can get everyone passes for the weekend.

NtS, the idea of fast runners doing more mileage is a very good one - although obviously no-one should feel they have too (particularly if exhaustion creeps in for some earlier than others).

On another note - should we be getting some technical t-shirts/vests printed?

• Options

Rach - does your office have showers we could use?

I'm working on the kit thing......

• Options
    We do have showers. I'll run it past them on Tuesday (on holiday until then) and see if they agree to us all using it.
  • Options

Hail Hail

Still to book flights NtS, but reckon I can be at treadmill central by noon on Friday (which is the easiest London airport to get from/to Picadilly?).

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

RB - Heathrow's on the Piccadilly line so probably the best. I don't live in London though so I would wait for a Londoner to confirm before booking anything!

NtS - I'm happy to run a bit more than four hours if required, but I think we'll set a decent total with everyone just doing four hours each. Obviously if someone gets injured during the 48 hours, we may all have to do a bit extra! 

• Options

Hail Hail

Thanks Padams.  All transport advice gratefully received.  Really its for speed on the Friday, as I can take my time on the Sunday getting back.

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    RB, there's not much in it between Heathrow and Gatwick - Gatwick's probably marginally quicker. Quickest journey from Heathrow is the Heathrow Express to Paddington then down the Bakerloo Line.  Taking the Piccadilly line all the way in involves more stops and takes longer.  The Gatwick Express gets you to Victoria, two tube stops to Piccadilly via Victioria and Piccadilly lines.
  • Options

FFS wish I'd fckn read this before my 30min on 30min off 30min on session this morning. What a waste of fckn time that was then!  Well I've done it now some I'm gonna tell you about so nerrr!

Fairly uneventful 30mins on treadie at home (no warm up) where I hatched the genius idea of using the 30min break to pack me clothes for work and head to the gym for the 2nd stint to save a bit of time by beating the school run traffic.  Hopped off...ahem...'lost a bit of weight', put the bin out, packed my stuff, jumped in the jamjar , had a carbo drink en route to the gym - beginning to wish I'd watered the flowers but I like the element of surpise on the day(s).  Read somewhere about elevating the legs to get rid of c@rp so lay in the gym for 10mins with legs in the air.  Someone (I know quite well) came over asked what I was doing so I couldn't pass up on the opportunity to get the phrase 'World Record Pace' in the reply ;o)

Hopped on the mill again and bashed out a fairly uneventful and comfortable 30mins @ 16km/h.  Not sure I noticed any difference in the two halves and wouldn't say there was any problem getting straight into the 2nd half.  NtS I think you're quicker than me over shorter distances so the 16km/h should be as comfy for you as me so I reckon you're over worrying about warmup and warm down stuff - JFDI man!  In fact give it a go I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

So I was gonna repeat the exercise tonight but given the (perfectly sensible) suggestion by Neil and sunsequent consnesus I'm not sure I CBA now.  Not sure what I'm gonna prove by doing it.  I'm happy with Neil's suggestion if everyone else is.  Rip van Heseltine needs to realise that they don't give WR's out as easy as (reserve) slots in the University Boat Race they need to be earned the hard way and a bit of sleep depravation might go with the territory ;oP

I'm happy for Padams to do 36hours (or more?)  too.

As you WeRe.

• Options

Evening All!

I have been reading back the posts with regards to the times of each slot on the mill and have had a couple of practice sessions now. I have done 15 minutes on, 15 off, 15 on and today 20 on, 20 off, 20 on as Neil suggested.

the first set i have been keeping at 16kph as i have found the first 8-10 mins a struggle in terms of getting into a rhythm without being really warm before launching myself into it. Once warm the pace is fine and i have completed my stint of the 20 mins today at 16.5 and 17kph comfortably as well but again takes my legs 10 mins or so to get into the groove and for the run to feel good.

But as CRAB says JFDI, whats a little discomfort at the beginning of each run, no one said breaking a WR was easy!!!!

• Options

Good work Kempez sounds like you can rack up a few miles.  Just need to make sure it's sustainable over 48hours with lots of sessions now!! 

Did the 30on 30 off session again and it's officially being marked in the file marked (just about) 'comfortable'.  So I reckon another 2 shifts like that would be achievable and I'm happy to say I can bank 40miles in my 4 hours.

*Nice to chat to Neil the other day and see he's gone public with my idea for splitting the shifts - just as Nick ran with my original idea for the WR attempt ;o))

So the poisoned chalice seems to have fallen in my lap in terms of co-ordinating the shifts etc. (thanks for that Nick!).  So if it runs like clockwork I'm a legend and if it all turns to rat sh!t then Nick fckd it up. Agreed?  Right let's continue then.

So the first thing is to know when people can be available.and we can start working things around that.  Probably the best thing is for people to say if there is any time when they will NOT be available and then we can do our best to work this in. Apart from RB not getting to the venue until midday any other things to consider?

Ideally it would be nice (as previously suggested) if we were all present at the end for a last blast each (say between 6-8am), a group mugshot (I want my grandkids to believe me) and a group hug before we head to the start.  The Beeb are considering sending a camera crew for this bit so we ought to make the effort really.

Now you need to give me something to work on here.  I think the remit is to maximise the mileage whilst giving everyone a fair crack of the whip and unless otherwise directed that will be the intention.  So with respect I'd factor in Padams doing more shifts or longer duration than Dull - if they were in the same squad perhaps instead of 20min shifts it would be split 15 and 25 or give Padams an extra 20mins.  Seriously don't want to jack anyone off so get your cards on the table if you have any problems.  The only fly in the ointment to getting this nailed down at present is the fact Guiness are being less than forthcoming with the relatively vital piece of information regarding whether the mill has to stop between shifts.  Obviously if it does then longer shifts resulting in less changes might yield a greater overall distance. 

For once it appears this may well be verging on the rocket science - and we all know my thoughts on that.  Now where's coronium when you need him?

As you WeRe.

* obviously this is complete carp and it neither had anything to do with me. I'm not an ideas man I just run.

• Options

Have tried three different people at Guinness on the treadmill-stop-or-not thing...... will obviously shout as soon as I get a comprehensible answer....

I don't have any time restrictions and gonna have a bash at a proper tready practice on Thursday.

• Options

Hi all

Somewhat belatedly I'd just like to congratulate Glyn on his achievements and thank him for his support.

CRAB, I have no time restrictions for the challenge, and am happy to do whatever is required. 

Just a thought - is everyone in the marathon now?  If not, does that have a bearing on the shift rota?  i.e should the non-marathon runners be the ones to do the final shifts?

Been at the gym this morning for some practice.  Did 20 mins on, 12 off (didn't want to hang around too long!), 20 on, 12 off, 20 on.  Efforts were at 16kph, and felt okay.  I will try to get back down there later to repeat the exercise.  If that's alright, 40 miles will hopefully be within range. 

• Options

CRAB- i have no time restrictions for the challenge and as orinocho i am happy to do whatever is required.

NTS- any more news on the time the training session is running on thursday, is it still going ahead?

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

I'm available for the whole lot, so happy to do whichever shifts required. I'm also happy to do a bit more than four hours if that's the general consensus. NB a bit more! I don't think we need to do this to beat the record though, but I guess if we want to get the highest possible total it makes sense, although I can't guarantee I'll be as good as CRAB is making out. Especially as I've never run for four hours in two days before.

Had a crack at 30 mins on, 30 off, 30 on this afternoon (after 5M in the morning and an hour's swimming session!), and found similar to Kempez - the first few minutes the second time around were a bit uncomfortable but fine once I got going. Constant 16 kph for the first one felt easy enough, started at 16.6kph for the second then went up to 17-18 kph for the last 15 mins. Main problem was copious amounts of sweat - have we got some industrial fans lined up?

• Options
    Gold RushGold Rush ✭✭✭

I should be available for the whole lot assuming I'm off the bench by then, still struggling with a lower back injury at the minute (no running for  3 days)I'm hoping its just muscular but if its no better by the end of the w/e I'll book an appointment with my chiro.........I just hope its not the curse of the coffin-dodgers

If fit I'm fairly confident of covering 38-40miles in my 4 hours and should be able to cope with the 30mins on 30 off however the 20 on 20 off sounds good as well,so I'll leave it up to the logistics co-ordinater (cheers Crab )

• Options
    NjordNjord ✭✭✭

Fair play indeed to CRAB for playing Peter Taylor to NtS's Brian Clough (or should that be the other way round?).

Anyway, I'm available for full 2 days.  And I'm under no illusion that I'm one of the less speedy members (John Robertson, perhaps?) of the troupe.  More than prepared to do my bit, but the team comes first. 

• Options

Kempez - was gonna ring you tmrw about practise and local press and stuff. When's a good time to call?

O - no, 9 are in the marathon and three aren't so yes, Crabbo, I guess it makes sense for the three that aren't (Ode, RachE and Kempez to be in the group running last.)

Ode is now on the team by the way as Dull feels he'd rather be a reserve. 

GR - Hope the back gets sorted. Keep me posted!

• Options

Hail Hail

Flights still to be booked, but I'll now be down on Thurs evening, so am available for the full monty.  Bringing Clan Bhoy en masse who will be staying in Dorking (but hopefully will travel up for morale boosting chucking of haggis at the window).  Dorking is a bit far for me to be staying, so any help on accomodation from the Thurs eve to Sun morn would be great.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    A world record attempt fuelled by haggis, neeps and tatties?  Great!