Options

Paris Marathon 2009

Comments

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Part of the course I ran this morning is a 12 mile loop. Just before Paris I clocked 1:23 on this route but most times I passed it in 1:26. This morning was 1:25. Nothing more scientific than that  really. May try a hot lap tomorrow- 2*5miles aiming to get under 30 minutes for the 2nd quicker lap.
  • Options

Well done Fizz!  I can't believe how fast you are....I dread to think how long it would take me...and your last mile...wow! I have never ran anything like that fast, even for one yassoimage.

I hope you are going to have a serious drink to celebrate!  And to think....afew weeks ago you were worried about your speed and fitness???? What are you like?!   Did you find it easy?   What were the conditions like?  It's a bit cooler here, well certaily less muggy anyway.  Keep going girl, you will get under 4 hours for your marathon no problem.  You must have had a bad day in Paris because you are well fastimage.   Well done again.

Oh...those bra's and tops with the handy pockets (that was the main advantage) are here:

http://www.graciesgearandtraining.com/html/

I like the pockets ....very handy for all sorts of stuff!  They are nice quality, though not cheap as the postage is $15.  If you want something you will have to email her in advance a little note just to let her know, as they don't normally ship outside of the States.

RP

• Options

Evening all!

RP - agree the postage is a bit of rip off - good top with good pocket etc. lady quite helpful there re sizes etc. Boys look away now image http://www.boobydoo.co.uk/sportsbra/productlisting.cfm?brandid=4&action=brandsearch  for basic bra. Was quite happy with that as it wasnt the reinforced bra in the top jobby.  Depends what you want Fizz.

Fizz - well done re time for half imageimageimageimageimageimage- v.muggy here still - was the weather okayish i.e. cool and good comfortable? 

OH taking my Garmin, yes mine, to do his 5km tomorrow.  imageimage No I still can't run boooo cross training.

• Options
    Finn- your a legend!!
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

ooh aah. 8 miles this morning and a new PB on my c8km hotlap  of 27:45. Now I ache...a lot image

The barbque await another triumph from the master  (burn't offering more like). 

• Options

Anyone know when the entry for next years Paris marathon opens?  Is it a ballot or can i just pay?

Nothing on the offical site yet about next years race!

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Fizz, you're a star! image

John, you can register from the beginning of September. It's ' first-come, -first-served'..no ballot. You just register and pay. *And submit the obligatory Medical Certificate.* Next year's race is on Sunday 11 April...I think .Scroll back 700+ pages for lots of info'...image
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    * wonders...* Would it be very naughty to 'phone Stu Boy during the Wimbledon Final ? image Possibly...
  • Options
    Is this just a coincidence ....

2007 - Chinese year of the Chicken - Bird Flu Pandemic devastates parts of Asia

2008 - Chinese year of the Horse - Equine Influenza decimates Australian racing

2009 - Chinese year of the Pig - Swine Flu Pandemic kills hundreds of pigs/humans around the globe.

It gets worse........

Next year......

2010 - Chinese year of the Cock - what could possibly go wrong?
  • Options

An Irish fell runner went to the physio and complained, "Wherever I touch, it hurts. When I touch my shoulder, it really hurts. If I touch my knee - OUCH! Even when I touch my forehead, it's really painful."
    The physio says, "I'm not surprised, you've broken your finger!"

• Options
    Food & exercise - finally a good explanation!!

Q: Doctor, I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life. Is this true?
    A: Your heart is only good for so many beats, and that's it...don't waste them on exercise.
    Everything wears out eventually. Speeding up your heart will not make you live longer;
    that's like saying you can extend the life of your car by driving it faster. Want to live longer? Take a nap.

Q: Should I cut down on meat and eat more fruits and vegetables?
    A: You must grasp logistical efficiencies. What does a cow eat? Hay and corn.
    And what are these? Vegetables. So a steak is nothing more than an efficient
    mechanism of delivering vegetables to your system. Need grain? Eat chicken.
    Beef is also a good source of field grass (green leafy vegetable).
    And a pork chop can give you 100% of your recommended daily allowance of vegetable products.

Q: Should I reduce my alcohol intake?
    A: No, not at all. Wine is made from fruit. Brandy is distilled wine,
    that means they take the water out of the fruity bit so you get even more
    of the goodness that way. Beer is also made out of grain. Bottoms up!

Q: How can I calculate my body/fat ratio?
    A: Well, if you have a body and you have fat, your ratio is one to one.
    If you have two bodies, your ratio is two to one, etc.

Q: What are some of the advantages of participating in a regular exercise program?
    A: Can't think of a single one, sorry. My philosophy is: No Pain...Good!
    Q: Aren't fried foods bad for you?
    A: YOU'RE NOT LISTENING!!! ..... Foods are fried these days in vegetable oil.
    In fact, they're permeated in it. How could getting more vegetables be bad for you?

Q: Will sit-ups help prevent me from getting a little soft around the middle?
    A: Definitely not! When you exercise a muscle, it gets bigger.
    You should only be doing sit-ups if you want a bigger stomach.

Q: Is chocolate bad for me?
    A: Are you crazy? HELLO!! Cocoa beans! Another vegetable!!!
    It's the best feel-good food around!

Q: Is swimming good for your figure?
    A: If swimming is good for your figure, explain whales to me.

Q: Is getting in-shape important for my lifestyle?
    A: Hey! 'Round' is a shape!

Well, I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you may have had about food and diets.

And remember:
    'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention
    of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body,
    but rather to skid in sideways -
    Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other -
    body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
    screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride!'
  • Options
    AND.....

For those of you who watch what you eat, here's the final word on nutrition and health.
    It's a relief to know the truth after all those conflicting nutritional studies.

1. The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

3. The Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

4. The Italians drink a lot of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

5. The Germans drink a lot of beers and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

CONCLUSION:

Eat and drink what you like.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Nite all. I'm off to Portugal until the 15th....
  • Options
    FizziofinnFizziofinn ✭✭✭

Welcome back Dolly. Great to see you're in super form imageimagehahahahahahahaha

Rp. Last mile was downhill and you have run most of your yassos faster than me.You lack confidence thazzall.  Remember at the end of your Paris training when the 14 milers had started getting a bit easier?..... well its like that again for me as after doing a few 18 and a 20 , the 13 seemed a drop back week. Im not a bit achey today but I stuck with my heart rate of 80% and it worked out fine for me.

Day was overcast and very very windy at the start. We had some rain about mile 4 but nothing too heavy. Sun started coming out towards the last third and was fabulous even though still windy at the finish. last year was my first ever half and so  I knew  the course and where the hills were and when to take it easy and when to try and speed up a bit. .
    Got one of your SIS caffeine gels and couldnt wait to try it at about mile 7.5 / 8. I know you hated the original ones but I actually quite  like them so I thought I was going to LOVE this new one and the caffeine might get me up the big hill.imageimage It was like medicine and the only gel I have tried that I didn't like.image Will go back to the other flavours .
    I also tried a tablet form of  drink mixer that has sugar and electrolytes. I just popped it into the water bottle and was fine. Much easier than worrying about whether isotonic energy drinks are available on the route, and so easy to carry. I used it the whole way from start to finish. Easy to carry a few , even in the tiny shorts pockets.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Hello, Dollyimage What have you been up to? Still running? Any races?

Have a great holiday, OO.With any luck, it'll be too hot to run...and the rest will do you good.

• Options

Hi ATM/Fizzio et al - it has been a while since I have posted on here, I hope everyone is keeping well, well ish anyway!! This thread is getting close to War and Peace size!! image Well done on your race Fizzio, what time did you do?

Yes I am still running ATM although not as much at the moment. I do one 10 miler every 2 weeks (approx 1hr30 each time) and did a bit with my wife until she injured her foot, doctor reckons she has dropped a bone or something, now waiting to see a podiatrist. I have a half in 2 weeks and one in Nov, plus hopefully a Duathlon in August. I also qualified as a Group Indoor Cycling Instructor (not allowed to be called a Spin Instructor as it is an American trademark image) recently so I am looking for freelance work with that and spinning 3 times a week still plus cycling whenever I get the chance. Still unemployed, hence the spin instructor course, so I should really be doing more running than I am, lost a bit of the will at the moment. The way the market is over here I could be ending up as an ex-pat and training somewhere in Europe instead.

Is anyone looking to do Paris in 2011? - the 35th running. I have applied for London next year but don't hold out much hope though.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear you're still looking for work, Dolly. And, yes, I bet there'll be a 2011 thread...imageIf you don't get into London, will you do Paris 2010?

Which reminds me,..Did we get our Certificates/DVD for this year? I don't remember anything coming...and it's a long time ago now.
  • Options

Fizzy - that's a bit rapid for a half marathon!  Am very impressed.  Now you were saying to me just a week ago that you had hated doing speed work and intervals.  A couple of months ago you suggested that you were waddling rather than running.

Care to update any of those feelings now that you have a fine athletic performance clocked up?!

• Options

ATM - no I didnt get a DVD - the Certificate I think was on the website?  Didnt get one in the post tho.  Do RW just change the title of the thread or does 2009 just continue?

Dollyg - nice to see you back.  Sorry to hear re work - although being a GIC Instructor sounds great.  I love spin to do it and get paid for it definitely a plus.  Hope all goes well on the job quest.image

No running again for me still on the injury bench.  Feel a bit of a fraud coming on here... Went to the gym for an hour or so instead which made me slightly more bearable to live with.  Physio tonight again.  Mr NGUG did his 5km in 34 mins which wasnt bad I thought for a first proper run with all the hills we have around us.  He did look like he was about to expire when he got home but a good start.   He had problems with pf previously but doesnt seem to have caused him any probs this time. Did explain that LSRs meant Long SSSSSlllloowww Runs but I dont think that really sunk in.

• Options

Doooh sorry Fizzy  I should have read back a page or two - excellent time for a hilly course image

I haven't seen any certificate or DVD either - we don't have to apply for them do we?

ATM - Doing Paris next year will depend on what I am doing and where I am doing it really, working that is image,  definitely doing 2011 though.

I forgot I will also being doing my local half in Bedford this Dec. It is the last half on the calendar each year around here. Plus an off road duathlon in Oct where I badly bruised a couple of ribs last year, which made sleeping wonderful when I rolled over in the night image

• Options
    Thanks NGUG - it is good to be back. image
  • Options
    Oh and no you are not a fraud - the only frauds are in Westminster image
  • Options
    FizziofinnFizziofinn ✭✭✭

Dolly I hope work turns up quickly for you and the spinning is a successful bit on the side for you. Good to have running goals to keep you going and keep you from getting down in the dumps with life right now.

I still hate the intervals TD. But thats all I do. 4-6 yassos depending on time available once a week or maybe every two weeks. I think I could have gone a bit faster but I didn't know if I would last until the end. Am getting less panicky about Helsinki in 6 weeks but will be disappointed if I dont make it within 4:30 and ideally closer to 4:20. I believe it is a hard enough course. I have realised though that the long runs are  really what I enjoy the most and I love the 20's . Just wish I could get out  more regularly. I do my long stuff on saturdays and it is usually Tuesday before I get out again. Will keep plugging away.
    What next for you ?

• Options

Amsterdam Marathon on 18 October, in errr, Amsterdam. 

Do you really mean that the only running you do apart from LSRs are intervals?  If so, that's not a very good balance.  If it is the case, you also need to try and fit in some more running at middle speed, especially in the 6 to 3 weeks to go timeframe.  A mid week run that is a bit pacey (slightly over race pace) around 12-17K (depending on how much time you've got to throw at it).

Really, if you can take that ½ marathon form to Helsinki, you'll crack your goals no problem.[

• Options
    FizziofinnFizziofinn ✭✭✭

I do a lsr and intervals . An easy run and if I get time ,another easy run but maybe a bit faster.

is the middle speed  mid week run ("slightly over race pace)" slightly over marathon or half marathon pace?image

Dont think I am ready to keep that pace up for as long as a marathon distance. Maybe next yearimage

• Options

Remember this the next you are wearing an MP3 player in the gym...

You are in the pub when you suddenly realise.... You need to fart.

The music is really loud, so you time your farts with the beat.

After a couple of songs you start to feel better.

As you finish your pint, you notice that everyone is staring at you. Then you remember..........

You're listening to your iPod !!!

• Options
    FizziofinnFizziofinn ✭✭✭
    oops TD. I just thought you may have something on before Amsterdam and I wasnt sure what date that was. So , are the amsterdam-ites getting stuck into their programmes at this stage? Will you not be tempted to have a go at something before then to see how you are getting on?
  • Options
    Fizz - little interim races 10K and 10 miler prior to Amsterdam and undoubtedly a half about a month before.  Resting on my laurels at the moment - hope to start running again in the next week or so.image
  • Options

Fizzy - no, no races for me before Hamsterjam.  Not part of a club so don't get to hear much of what is going on in these parts. It's a choice really, life is busy enough and if I want to test myself, I tend to do it during training runs.

Am in the 2nd out of a 16week programme.  The 10½K I ran barefoot on Saturday has played havoc with the Soleus muscles on both legs.  Had to interrupt my 3 x 2m intervals last night (after the 2nd one) as they were getting tighter and tighter. Best to avoid an injury I think. Did some stretching and massaging and used my 'recovery electrodes' for 3 hours which made me feel a whole lot better.

Had a bit of morning stiffness, image, will see how I feel tonight. Maybe I'll be OK for an easy 10K then. I see you have 5½ weeks to go until Helsinki. I'm still impressed with your ½Marathon time: told my missus about it this morning!

• Options

I like that Hamsterjam... Tricky what time is your Mrs expecting/aiming for re the half marathon?  Mr NGUG has not run before and I suspect will probably be circa 2.30/40 ish may be quicker who knows early days.

Mr NGUG used to run barefoot when he did karate - supposed to do something for you not sure what - always worried as to what I would step on/in...image