Options

Paris Marathon 2009

Comments

• Options

Have you started a Paris 2010 thread yet? Or is this it?

I did this race in 2004 and 2005 and may come back for more......image

• Options
    Hi Coops - not 2010 as yet - this one will turn into 2010 eventually ... a veteran of 2004/5 what have you been up to in between??  Entries normally circa September time image
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Evening all. Also back from hols in Portugal. Didn't run much and put on about 4 kilos. The diet statrs here. Nice avatar Tricky- the other one was a bit scarey....

Nice shoe ATM- ?

• Options
    Nevergiveup Girl wrote (see)
    Hi Coops - not 2010 as yet - this one will turn into 2010 eventually ... a veteran of 2004/5 what have you been up to in between??  Entries normally circa September time image
    In between, I have mainly been playing football and eating chinese takeaways!  A couple of the old school from 2005 have said they are doing it again so it will give me a good target.......
  • Options

Hi Coops - still plenty of Paris09 hangers on here (this is a virtual pub I reckon), full of strange people wearing running tights or worse.... When the Sept. entry kicks off, my assumption is we'll let this thread die and swap over.  I think plenty of people here want to run Paris again.

Awesome foot bling ATM but they'll look better once you've run through a few Scottish bogs IMO.

OlneyOne - I've never said it before, but you are my running hero/ inspiration.  Well, until that last post. FOUR KILOS!! As my American friends would say, "Awesome dude". Which is like a non-sexual double-entendre.

Screwed up big time yesterday by surprising wife/ kids and getting tickets for the Harry Potter film first night in Belgium. But being a feeble-minded dunderbrain, managed to book in for the Dutch version with English subtitles (this is never an issue in the UK huh!). So we'll fight our way back through the traffic jams tonight to watch the 'OV' film (original version). Tonight's run is postponed to Friday rest day and repeat the following. "Only women are intelligent enough to work AND plan a social calendar properly. You are ONLY a man".

• Options

TD - your last line is quite correct though glad you are man enough to admit it.image  By coincidence we are all booked in to the English (no probs with that over here) version of Harry Potter for Saturday nice that we can all go although hope it wont be too scary for Master NGUG.  Wont be the first time I have had to leave half way through with him.. might send Mr NGUG out this time as I want to see it!  Grandma wants to come too but Master NGUG objected on the grounds that she slept solidly through the last film he went to with her and snoredimage

Coops - sounds like ideal marathon food etc. what time are you hoping for are you one of these mega speedy people?

OO - welcome back sounds as if you had a good time.

I've got my trainer tonight.  He is apparently giving me ultrasound on my hip to help it.  Sounds a little worrying - says it helps heal as well as view unborn babies... might not mention it hopefully he will have forgotton that he said that last week..

• Options

I'm looking for around 2.03 this time..........

OK, I did 5.20 in 2004 with no training (literally turned up on the day).  Walked like John Wayne with a sprained ankle for about a month afterwards.

In 2005 I did 4.07 with a bit of training, but still nowhere near as much as I should have.

In 2010, I reckon I could do about 3.30ish, if I get off my big fat, lazy backside. Which is probably unlikely! So, no I'm not speedy, just an average bloke who wants a weekend in Paris with a run in the middle of it.

• Options

That first comment prompted a "Jesus murphy" until I read the rest of your post.  Blimey George turning up to a marathon with no training you are incredibly brave.  Sounds like you are heading for sub-4/sub3.30 next time.  Some real speedies on here but most of us normal people as well who really enjoy the occasional trip to Paris even if it means having a gentle jog to the Arc and back again.  Are you doing anything else prior to Paris?  Quite a long time to train! 

• Options

I would say incredibly stupid, not brave. I'm not proud of myself!

I also went in 2006 but just to watch so it is about time I went again. Prior to then I need to get fit, and will start doing some races later in the year. Plus I have a football season to contend with. Yourself?

• Options

Sounds rather painful...

Paris 2009 was my first marathon and then I got a charity place in FLM so ran both within 3 weeks which again was perhaps a little stupid... have had problems with my hip flexor (classic over use apparently) in the last few weeks but seems sorted now so gently getting back into training.  Have booked myself into Amsterdam Marathon in October but will have to see if funding is in place otherwise will probably do one in the UK as an alternative.  Also have a 10k booked in August after hols.  Need to book a few more up but not much going on down south/London way at this time of year.

I am also trying to get my brown belt in ju jitsu - so all good fun...

• Options
    Ju jitsu? I am a black belt at Origami so watch yourself!  There is a 10k in Northampton in October so I may target that as my first race (in over 2 years)..........ease back in gently........image
  • Options

Cool paper folding always been a skill I wish I could master - black belt totally scary - how many folds does that involve??...  Good idea to start gently got loads of timeimage

Hard session with trainer tonight feeling totally knackered now.image  Good session though.image

ATM - have you managed to get out and have a trott or are you waiting for Friday image

• Options

Yes, paper folding is a true art. I'm very nimble with my fingers (so they say)........! image

It is quiet on this thread, is it the calm before the storm?

• Options

The thread has got incredibly quiet really since FLM - just prior to Paris it was manic if you didnt look at it for a couple of hours there would be four pages to read through etc.  I think quite a few people have gone on hols as well.  I imagine it will pick up as we get towards the end of the year and people start thinking about doing Paris again - only us sad hangers onimage  .

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    'morning, all. Sad hanger-on, here...

Hello, Coops.* About folding stuff..I never did get any money back from HMI on your child Allowance thingy. I blame you. * Coming to Paris? We'll meet, at last, Mr. Bond image

NGUG, I'm just about to leave for 1. The Dentist * I'm ridiculous at the dentist..He couldn't be nicer, gentler etc etc but...Would cheerfully hand over my first-born child to escape the drill.*2. The gym. This is it.For the first time since Paris, a short trot. We'll see.
    Amsterdam sounds great. Flat...surely?

• Options

Shame ATM, lots of people did.  You must have had the money already, so stop being greedy! image

I may well turn up at Paris next year.  It's been a while, and I love feeling nauseous in that massive tunnel.

• Options

Good luck ATM.  Surely with a name like that, you'd be the one for handing out lots of nice flat paper with pretty designs on them?! I'm imagining you with those new running shoes on, "like a virgin", run for the very first time.

• Options

Blimey have I missed out on HMI refunding some money on child allowance do tell all.  I am all ears... probably too late knowing me.  Tunnels in Paris take a bit of getting used to.  When hot not too pleasant really...

Hi fellow hangeron ATM - go gently with your first trott - great temptation just to go wheeeyeee I can run again and go wild but one must maintain composure and be sensible...imageimage  I had the hygenist on wednesday and I always think they are far far worse than the dentists your teeth feel as if someone has driven a truck through them by the time they finish. You'll be fine ATM.  Yup Amsterdam should be flat from what I understand lots of bridges I imagine (not Fizz's cup of tea) and not too crowded which must be a major plus.  Master NGUG can also do a 1km race so hes looking forward to that.  Just hope the funding falls into place.

• Options

NGG, I posted a thread last year (I think) about the Revenue not paying people a benefit that was brought in and then removed.  It meant that lots of people could reclaim this and earn a few quid.  The deadline was in January this year though so no good now!

The 2005 race was hot, and that tunnel nearly finished me off last time.  I felt like Pricess Diana in a Mercedes Benz......

• Options

ATM new shoes!!!!!!

Rest day today as myself and my training partner ( and FInn) have a 5 mile race in dublin tomorrow. its the first in a series of 5, 10 and then half marathon aimed at leading people up to the dublin marathon. weather forecast is pants thoughimage aiming for a sub 39 min time at best and sub 40 at worst.

Paris next year seems so far away!!!itll be that if i dont get london and i wont let the kenyans off so lightly next time!!

im going to test drive a pair of the new nike lunarglide today!!

• Options

Coop - thought I would be too late - story of my lifeimage  2009 was too hot too although not as hot as FLM after training throughout the winter its a bit of shock to the system when you have to suddenely run in the warm conditions.  Yes Diana syndrome I can understand although did feel a bit more like puddle jumping than swerving skidding and crashing (sorry was that nasty/tactless?!).

John M - good luck at the weekend 5miler.  You will do it standing on your head (if you know what I mean) - I dont recommend that as a technique...  Let us know how you get on with the flash new Nike!!

• Options
    Tactless is my middle name!
  • Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Hey Coops I circulated that post round our factory and quite a few people benefitted, they stopped nicking my trousers and painting my balls after that.

And you need to start saving, what was it,  £6.50 for a pint?

• Options

Mr P - blimey not sure I'd fancy working at your factory... scary...how did they nick your trousers... okay I wont pry...

Grandpa - as in my dad - has ordered me some Skins for my birthday whoppeee!!  Now how do I persuade him that its necessary for me to have a test run in them prior to my birthday in September....image

Body pump fine on my hip this pm.  Recovery 5km run at the weekend. 

Got to focus on some work now concentrateimage

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Dentist, OK. Treadmill, OK image * I did 20 mins walk/jog. Can definitely still 'feel' something but it wasn't exactly sore. Let's see how it is in the morning.Any running fitness I ever had has gone.Very humbling, and annoying, to be right back at square one.

NGUG, my feet did get terribly hot and the Saucony shoes felt rather snug.As you said, the Asics ones were a bit wider and I did consider them.I hope I haven't made, another, expensive mistake. And, no, you can't have your September birthday present in July!* My birthday's at the end of this month and I got the presents at the start of last month. I'm not good at the old 'delayed gratification' and will be unreasonably miffed come the day. by September, you'll want something else. In lycra. *
  • Options

ATM - well done on your trott.  Where did you get the shoes from?  If you have only used them on the treadmill you should be okay taking them back.  I know with my Runners Need ones I have taken them back several times when they were a bit snug /not fitting properly.  Have you worn them around the house for a few hours? Normally that will make you realise whether they are too tight.  Try relacing them too sometimes that can help (sorry to state the obvious) although if they are looking really wide re the lacing section they are probably just too narrow for you.  I keep on getting the same Asics ones simply cos I know they fit and I cant be bothered to try anything else should really stock pile some.

You are quite right re: Skins I will just have to wait (not good at that) - wheeeyeee Skins - sorry that was involuntary - think I am getting de mob happy as the holidays are loomingimage

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the suggestion, NGUG. I was just sitting, fretting. Phoned the shop. They've told me to bring them back, with box etc. My ' other' choice was Asics...Can't remember the model..might have been 1140..any comments on them?
  • Options
    FizziofinnFizziofinn ✭✭✭

Great to hear you are fretting over shoes like a real runner. welcome back ATM.

Jut spotted a paris 2010 thread. Do we debunk over there or just hang out here til the entries open again?image

JM -whats the forecast like for tomorrow . What is pants like image ?? getting more worried now!

• Options

ATM - wonder whether it was the GT2140 which is what I have

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/review/reviewproduct.asp?RPN=50885&prod=Asics-GT-2140&RCN=0&rgn=0&sp=&v=5

The reviews arent amazing but I find them absolutely fine.  I reviewed them myself prior to Paris and thought they were v.cushioned and comfortable. I have quite wide feet so alot of the trainers I try pinch.  I think the 2140s are going out of production/have limited stock so if you are able to get them they fit and are comfortable personally I would go for them.  Tricky from what I can recall is more expert on these things and might be able to help.

ATM - as experienced Paris threader what happens re the thread as per Fizz's comment?  Suspect DV more interested in IM etc. now to start a 2010 one - what about you Mrs?? 

Pants = rubbish Finn.  Probably will get a bit wet image.   You guys get races us down here have 5k fun runs and nothing else.  Something sadly lacking me things.  Good luck - not that you need it another PB on the way?!  Try metcheck they are usually pretty accurate re weather conditions.image

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    mmm they didn't look quite like that, NGUG...I'll investigate, tomorrow.

I think a Paris 2010 thread is a better idea. An established thread might put newcomers off.New threaders might think we had any idea...

For the past two years, we hung around ( here) and then drew a line under all our posts before decamping to a new thread when registration opened. It's nice and cosy here image but a new thread sounds good. Where is it?