Options

Paris Marathon 2009

Comments

• Options

Tutu....  where are you based..?

• Options

Turbo trainer! I had heard of them but no idea what they are - sounds brilliant!!

Are clipless pedals where you use cleats (sp?) to clip onto the pedal? I'm getting them fixed to my bike and have some proper shoes that go with them for bulk of my training, and if I get these special tri shoes was thinking I'd just try them out a few times before the day to check they are comfy etc.

Can you tell I don't know the first thing about cycling?!

It certainly does sound like a whole new world - aargh! 

Based in Leeds. 

• Options

My turbo is a Tacx Satori..   it is very easy to use and set up.  Your bike should have 'quick release' wheels.. 

Tacx Satori 

The clipless pedals are the ones with cleats for your bike shoes.  Unclipping is a simple skill, but some people find it hard to do and fall off the bike because they are not quick enough or simply forget!   Try it on grass or a turbo until you know what you are doing. 

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    DV - Tour manager?! Much respect! Yes, have seen TMB three times (2x Lamb, 1x SEBTP), absolutely amazing. I'll drop you a mail at lunchtime...

Tutu - Thanks, I'm doing some regular stretches for it at the moment which seem to be helping, and I've just taken delivery of a foam roller so I'll be doing some interesting things on the floor this evening.
  • Options

Hmmmm lots of people here I know image, some I recognise but don't know which threads image

Fancy this, got Berlin & Abingdon this autumn, then in London and diarised Edinburgh so far for next year,  won't be racing all of them........

Set computer reminder for entries opening................

Keep hearing the word Ironman image

Any heads up on cheap accomodation thats easy to get to start, I'm useless speaking french so not tooooo difficult to get to!  Also is it easier / cheaper to Eurostar or fly?

• Options

Phil.. that's excellent.  I got your mail and have replied...  image

Smiffie.. I want to do Berlin next year..  my one attempt at a fast one...  image

• Options

Hello again!!

I been keeping an eye on this thread still, and have not given up hope of doing it!  I really want to, its between this one and Rome.  I would rather do this one, but it depends on my friend.....I might just apply anyway (In sept and see what happens).

Do you think it will be easy to get in, or will it sell out instantly?  I have visions of the system crashing through demand or something!

• Options

Hello Redpanda.    It usually sells out, but not immediately so no need to panic.  However, as the FLM ballot results will be out earlier this year then Paris is likely to sell quicker. 

You don't 'apply' for Paris.  You book your place and that's it.  You are in.  Very simple.

• Options
    Dark Vader Berlin is Fab, I'm going back as last year only got a few weeks training in after Op so score to settle! Def a fast course.............
  • Options

How is entry for Berlin arranged..?   Is that a ballot, or just apply online..?

• Options

Berlin Web Site On-line entry not ballot and jobs a good'un........

Like Paris fills quick, but no panic

• Options
    Thanks Dark Vader, I take it you are automatically accepted there and then and you sort your medical certificate afterwards?  But before you go abroad, obviously?!
  • Options

yes..  the medical cert is nothing to worry about.  There will be loads of discussion on here about it.. 

You have to predict your finish time and that will colour code your start position.    the start is busy, but well organised and a million times better than FLM...!!

• Options

Link to great Paris hotel for Smiffie and any others.  Barry McK, Tutu, Orca and loads of other marathoners stayed there.  Not expensive (not dirt cheap either, though) and 5 mins walk from start  and finish.  And very nice people.  And they speak English etc etc.  I booked by email no worries.  highly recommended. image

Not sure I'm going to do a spring marathon... I think I'm going to be very poor buying tri stuff. But very tempted by Berlin before too long. If my legs still work after Zurich!

Thanks for all useful info on IM DV.  I've done Olys and sprints before (not for four years though) so at least I know the basics... The cycling will be the big test for me - well it all will, but the cycling is what I'll have to work hardest at and will make a huge difference to how I feel/perform on the day. Am considering robbing a bank.

Phil - bad news re ITBS.  Hope it behaves itself.  do you think your poor legs have decided enough's enough and they need a rest?  HAve you had a goooood massage to ease it off?

• Options
    Hmmm - am considering robbing a bank to pay for kit - not to help me with the bike bit.
  • Options

Thanks for the advice...is it the 14th or 15th Sept to register?  I forget? When will next years website be active do we think?

I secretly would much rather do this one than the Rome one.  I bet there is loads more support, and I like the idea of the cheese and wine!image

• Options

You won't like the idea of the cheese and wine at 24 miles...

More Ironman news: Orca has just signed up for Zurich! So that's DV, Tutu, Barry K, Orca and me... any other Paris 08 takers??? image Phil - would have thought it was right up your street.

• Options
    I will like the idea of cheese and wine at any miles!
  • Options

15th Sept, entries open.    Web will probably be up in a few weeks......

• Options

Thanks DV, I shall make a note in my diary.  Thanks for all your advice so far....xx.  If I do it, I would love to meet some of you.

xx

• Options

AH..  thanks for the link to that hotel.  I just looked it up and it is currently showing rates of 170 Euros per night.   Is that roughly what you paid this year...?   I stayed not far from there this year and I think I paid a similar amount....     it would be great to stay at the same place as others...  make a real weekend of it..   image

Redpanda    come and join the party..   we love this race...  the support is rather sparce in the two large parks, obviously, but elsewhere it is good and its just such a lovely city to be in for the weekend...

• Options

Hi DV

I always wanted to go to Paris, ever since being a little girl, and partner finally took me as a surprise for my 30th afew years ago.  I loved it!  It was also not as expensive as I thought, providing you avoid the tourist trap places.  Do you guy's normally meet up before and after?

• Options

DV - I can't remember what we paid exactly.  I remember that when we booked it (I shared with Tutu) it worked out at £40 per night per person.  However, with the Euro exchange rate we both ended up paying closer to £100 each for the two nights image.

It is a nice race redpanda.  If you've ever done FLM or anywhere in Germany you might find some aspects of the organisation slightly less efficient but it's all part of the charm of the thing.  And the whole race is in the city - even the two parks are part of the city.   You have to run through the equivalent of Woolwich!  Lots to look at if you know what you're looking for... but then I didn't even notice the Eiffel Tower till I was right next to me. Dunno how I missed it!

• Options

Ha ha Artful Hen, I will probably be in so much pain I won't notice anything anyway LOL!

Have not done a half before, never mind a full marathon, so have nothing to compare too, but it certainly looks the business. 

• Options

I really don't know how anyone can miss the Eiffel Tower during this race - I was watching it come closer for miles, desperate to get to it (mainly because my parents would be there..), I suppose it sprung out of nowhere round a corner suddenly. But then this is coming from the girl who missed Big Ben, Buckingham Palace AND the finish line at her first FLM! image

Redpanda - this year some of us met up and went to register the day before, then a load of us had dinner (and lunch I think?) on the sat too, then quite a few met up the evening after the marathon too, but sadly Artful Hen and I had to go home before then.

Re: cheese and wine - I knew I would not fancy any but was just glad I was able to give a little smile as I passed it, the bloke serving it was so jolly I wanted some just to please him (!) but there was no way I could have stopped let alone drank any wine image Such a lovely touch to the race though!

I echo others - medical cert is easy peasy to get, as long as you have a nice GP! I've heard some try and charge, and the receptionist at my surgery was a bit funny about it but when my GP saw how simple the proforma was he was like "oh, is that it?!" and just copied it out in abou 2 mins flat!

• Options

Thanks tutu much. I would definatley like to meet up with some of you, as many as possible infact!

It sounds such a great day, bet its hard work though!image

• Options
    Yes it's hard but it's SO exciting and you can't beat the satisfaction.  I think that might be some of the attraction of Ironman - lots of pain but SO much gain! (Or at least I bloody hope so!)
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

image Bonjour. Just back from Paris and...wow!... Zurich! Mob-handed! Congratulations and good luck to all you Ironers...Can't wait to read all about your training. It sounds amazing...the whole thing. Completely crazy...lol...I confess , I'm jealous.God knows why. It would kill me. And bankrupt us. * Will buy 1 more lottery ticket...*

DV, are you running Paris as part of your training for IMCH? Does that fit in OK? ( Do you care? ) Tutu, will you do another marathon beforehand or train exclusively for Zurich? And how's the swimming going? Hen and Oraca, good on you! I know you've done other Tris. It'll be a dwadle( looooool)And Barry? In at the deep end...literally...I'm dead impressed by all of you. How can we help? Praying any good?

Redpanda, you'd love Paris. It was a real pleasure to meet so many other 'threaders' in the flesh. If you decide to come, don't leave 'til the Monday! * Tutu,I missed the Eiffel Tower, the first time image..* Speaking of which...

Had fab time on holiday. Watched said Tower sparkle in the light of stunning firework display with 600,000 others,met friends, did the crawl...properly!..in old, outdoor pool, got up and ran round the city at 5.30 etc,etc...and...highlight...met minx for lunch. She's looking forward to next April. We took her tablet, shortbread, oatcakes and a Scotland running vest so she 100% equipped to go sub-4...

On the down side, my right foot is sore...the arch...not when I run but just every now and again, out of the blue. I mean, excruciating.It's not near the heel..I'm so afraid to hear the words ' plantar...whatever' that I haven't made an appointment yet. But I know I must. Could it be anything else? Something trivial and fixable with a couple of days rest? Any thoughts,CJ?

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Oh, and I bought these  * Cheap, cordless mp3 player/headphones * They seem too good to be true..They haven't been exposed to the rain, yet, but I'm impressed so far. My shuffle is dying..image
  • Options

Good evening laydees and gentleymen...  I'm actually going outside for a run this evening..  *shock.. horror!!*

Will plod round a 5.3 mile circuit...   looks like a nice evening for a plod....  image