Options

FLM 2009

Comments

• Options

Yes Ian, Southend half for me in June, try to get a sub 1:40 which should be doable.  Then not sure, I am now eager to do another marathon so that I can achieve sub 3:30, so possibly might go back to Seville in Feb to do it or actually looking at Berling again as that was rather fun.

What about the rest of you?

• Options

Guys finishing yesterday was a real bonus as there were a lot of bodies out there...perfect conditions my arse!! 

I am definately considering the Southend half as it feels like I can attack 13 miles....

RE: The wall..I agree with the fact the heat played a massive part...I tend to get scorched when its around 18deg !!  My lungs had plenty of energy but legs had seized up and that's down to the heat...note to organisers do not put this on late April...knew that was going to happen...train in the coldest winter for 15 years then you get the hottest april for 100 years!!! 

Again glad to see you've all checked in and finished....a lot of runners did not...including two elites!!  Oh and we do have to brag about beating Gordon Ramsey!!!

• Options

Well done everyone!!! 3:40.05 for me which I was absolutely chuffed with as the last five or six were absolute hell, and I thought I may not finish at mile 23 or have to walk. But I fought through it, collapsed at the end and didn't move for an hour. OK now though, thankfully.

The story of my race was very simple, steady 755ish laps until 20, then slowed to a crawl.   

• Options
    carlo let me know if you fancy some regents park training for the sarfend half! thats definitely the next one for me, then that might be that until september...although there is the loch ness marathon to contemplate image
  • Options

3-36 for me, so missed Boston Q by under 1s a mile!  My legs started to ache at 8mi even doing 7-52, which I've done heaps in training.  I am goping to completely alter my taper next time, to taper early and then one long run at -2 weeks. I think they forget how to run long.  Or I could wait until I'm 55 when its 3.45 qualifying - talk about letting the race come to you!

I felt hot lining up with all those bodies.  I just could not run any faster towards the end - I had the energy, but if I sped up my muscles began to cramp.

Too much travel this autumn, so another go next spring/autumn. 

Congrats to those who made it, and I am inspired by the stories of those, like me, who will be giving it another go

Take Care

• Options

Ian, i think we could be on for that!!  I have entered the Royal parks for this October with the intention of going sub 1.30..did'n't quite manage it with the hills in watford in Feb...so hoping Southend will provide a good platform for that PB!!  May enter a 10k in a few weeks time in Hornsey to shake off the cobwebs..and again would love to go sub 40...so some goals to go...as the high is starting to wear off..or that might be my energy!!!

• Options
    Carlo, do you think your slow start actually helped you in the end? Or do you think you could have run faster overall with more space at the start?
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Just popped in to see how everyone got on. I'm a lurker on this thread and have only posted here a few times.

Well done everyone on getting round. Conditions were terrible for running a marathon, the forums are littered with all sorts of terrible heat related stories.

I was lucky, I clocked a 3.25 and chopped 22 mins off my old PB, over the moon with that! I was on for sub 3.20 but the heat and early crowd congestion meant I had to alter my target at halfway. My slowest mile was the very first, 8.45 despite being in Blue start pen 3, it was pretty busy.

As I said, well done everyone. It was a lottery out there, people react to the heat in different ways so don't feel bad if you didn't hit your target.
    I agree that the organisers should look at doing the event earier. I didn't do last year but a colleague did, it was on April 13th and they had perfect conditions for marathon running.

Well done guys

SB

• Options
    A big well done to everyone, especially in the heat as the race went on! This was my first attempt at a marathon. Went through the first half in 1-38, maybe a bit too quick. But i am delighted with my time of 3-28, even if the last three mile felt like someone was hitting my legs with hammers! Well done again eveyone!
  • Options

Carlo, Ian, word of warning about the Southend half, it is a late start and usually a hot one and the 2 loops can be a bit boring.  But on the plus side a very flat course so great for a PB, the weather should be warmer so you can train in the heat better and the fish and chips and the beer by the sea side at the end is great way to celebrate.

As I live in Southend, I will even offer to buy you guys a beer at the end.

• Options

PS was it just me that thought that the goody bag in London was pants?  That has to be the cheapest tee-shirt ever and being an XL really does not help as I am a size small.

• Options

RL...goddy bag was pants.....and it always makes me laugh that most runners are beanpoles and htey still churn out XL like its for the winner of a pie eating contest!!

Ian/RL defo up for that pint if southeand is on!!  Do they take entries up to mid may or is it too late now?  Wanted to see how the recovery was after FLM!!!

JamsieB.....I have been mulling that early slow few miles..and in answer to your question...i clocked a 25min first 5k.....(approx 8.06 mpm) then next 10 were at 7.28/7.30 to catch up.....so defo took it out of me as I was planning 7.45/7.50 as an even pace.....but still attribute the heat for the majority of the slowness of last 6!!

• Options
    RL I was gutted at the t-shirt. A friend did it last year and they got a great dri-fit one.

By the way I've done the southend half twice but not last year, and wasn't that a new course? Have to say I hated the old one, absolutely dull as hell. But I'll prob enter that and then plan a couple more for sept/oct.

Carlo the royal parks is excellent, did you do it last year? The goody bag and tshirt were awesome, not to mention the incredible amount of freebies handed out afterwards. It really was worth running for that alone!

Also, is it the crouch end 10k you're doing on may 17th? I'm planning to move into the area over the next couple of months...are you from around that area?
  • Options

I live in walthamstow (no citing E17 on this forum people!!) originally from hertfordshire (st albans) so well and truly climatised now to london life.....I am indeed planning on the crouch end on 17th (hornsey ymca?) feel as though that will be perfect to shake off cobwebs!!  Did Royal parks week after the shocking Run to the Beat Half (poor organisation!) and got a pb of 1.33 although went on to knock off 2 mins at the much hillier Watford Half this Feb at 1.31 (close) so want that PB in the 10k and half before year is out. 

Royal parks goody bag was fantastic and lots of stalls around afterwards giving out freebies!!!  Doing it again this year as a measure of how far I've come this year in the marathon training year!!  Ian when you move up give me a email on metcalfe_carlo@hotmail.com (don't check frequently but at least 1 a week) then will ping over my mobile if you want to use finsbury park as a training run occasionally!!

• Options

40 mins on ski walker today, to 'flush' legs out a little.....

sounds a very mixed bag of results, some excellent and some suffering.

Well Done everyone for finishing though.  Loved sitting drinking can of London Pride (from Expo night before) at finish and sharing homemade flapjack with a fellow runner (his wife made some)

It has to happen soon!  got 3:28 in London 2006, then had back operated on mid 2007.  sort of been on a mission to regain fitness and stick two fingers up to everyone who said I wouldn't!

3:45 London 2008, 3:38 Berlin 2008, 3:34 Paris, 3:32 London, Edinburgh image got to be 3:29:59 PLEASE   OK Pretty Please image

When does GFA entry open for next years London?

• Options
    Flora are gloating a little, saying Virgin better get act together.  Flora's site fell over last year with the on-line ballot entries..........!
  • Options
    cheers carlo, will def catch up soon!
  • Options

So sorry to hear your troubles RL, sounds like it just was not our day on Saturday. You should be proud of the fact you fininshed, great achievement. I know it's hard  (I'm can't help feeling down at the moment) but keep your chin up, there's always next time.

I've got the Manchester 10K on the 17th along with 20 of my friends running for Charity. No PB's I'm just going to go out and enjoy the day, which I struggled to do Saturday. It was hell on earth!!

Once again, well done everyone.

• Options

All 

Some of you may remember me, I started the sub 3:30 thread for the 2008 / 2009 marathons but pulled out this year and held my place till next

Due to minor injury / family commmitments / general apthty my running really went down hill will, my biggest training month 50 miles in May LAST year. Afyer that just a few months of 20 miles

But I have a place next year and want to do London again despite an upcoming move to Scotland. So at the moment I am struggling round a 3 miles course at 9:30 miling. So no chance of a sub 3:30 but sub 4 would be nice - what do you think ? So I may pop back to the forum (havent been on for months) for inspiration !!

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

3.30 or bust - I remember you from 2007 threads!  Listen, when I started training for Sundays run in January I ran an 8 mile route as my first 'long' run.  I struggled to get 10 minute miles and had to sleep afterwards.  I really had to focus both mentally and physically to get myself into training mode.  I started a blog on my running club's site Pauline's Blog got others involved in my training, to make sure I did it.  I also posted a lot on the thread of Sue C, who was being trained by Liz Yelling, and again this gave me motivation to dig deep.

My PB was 3:31.50 and I was hoping to go under 3.30.  My finish time on Sunday was 3:32.07.  I am thrilled beyond belief. 4 months ago I would have thought even 4.30 an unrealistic goal.   On a cooler day I'm sure I would have gone under 3.30.

The move to Scotland might be good for your training.  We're made of tough stuff up here!  

Go for it.  Start the thread for next year and I'll be the first to post!

Well done everyone else on their achievements.

• Options

niihty, chin up fella. In some sense, finishing as you did in such horrid circumstances is more of an achievement and braver than zipping around in sub 330. You obviously have a 330 in you and that's just a matter of time before it's official.

• Options

Mini 

Thanks. What club you with in Scotland ?

• Options
    Anyone hear anything about the investigation into air quality that is ongoing after Sunday?  Apparently a significntly larger number of people collapsed at end with breathing difficulties.  there I was thinking it was me holding back the tears that was causing me an issue!!!!
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Well, 3.30 I'm not actually Scotland, I'm the English side of the Border.  Where in Scotland are you moving to?

• Options

This was my first marathon, and i finished in 3-28. I know i can go faster given the right conditions. It was very warm towards the end of the race! I'v just eventually managed to register for next years race! Just hope i get in! Such a great atmosphere, i'm hooked!Even with th very sore legs!

Well done everyone!!!

• Options

Hi all

Just got back home and online.  Really happy to hear that you all made it round and some good times out there.  I managed 3:37.  I was on course for 3:30 to mile 15-16.  I had hooked up with the 8 min mile pacer at mile 2 but by mile 16 felt that if I stuck at this pace I would blow up.  So from then on I just pushed as hard as I could but knew I was was slowing.

I am putting that down to the heat - do you think thats fair or a cop out? 

There were some really dark and horrible miles

Thanks for all the advice (as I lurked in the background!) and well done all!

Pleased with time and now trying to figure out what my running future holds...

• Options

Sub 3:30 or bust...

You set up this inspirational forum and have to say (as a fellow spurs fan-well I'm guessing from the Cockrell!!) if you were up to 50 miles in May last year its there and depending on whereabouts in Scotland you might have quite a bit of running potential in them parts!!

Thanks for getting this going as it helped spur me on (really no pun intended there!) with the others who joined in.  A sub 4 is well within reach...as I know someone who only got back into running this year to finish in 4.30 and she had done nothing for years!! SO its possible.

Good luck. 

• Options
    P.S The heat was a factor on Sunday...my lungs had plenty left in but the cramp kicked in from 23 and slowed to 8.50 a mile...which was well down on my previous laps....had taken antihistimines and spray beforehand and glad I did...if it was 15 it would have been perfect!!
  • Options

Mini 

Moving to Helensburgh - you know it ?

• Options

Picked up a nice tan though, even with factor 25 on image

Post link to 2010 thread image