Options

FLM 2009

Comments

• Options

3.30 or bust- thanks for setting up the forum- I'm sorry you couldn't do it.  Its been a brilliant source of support and advice- so a big thank you to my fellow forumites.  At least you should be a virgin Virgin runner. 

David- I've registered too for next year but the chances are very slim!  I've probably got a better chance of getting a club place again.

I know the usual advice is that long slow runs should be just that but I never did any.  3 of my long runs were at exactly the same pace as I did the race, and the other 2 were within 10seconds per mile.  I never could see the logic of going slower than my planned marathon pace and I guess it paid off for me (and looking at some of your training run times, you obviously did the same). 

If any of you want to improve your times, consider the Abingdon marathon in the autumn- very flat

• Options

I entered Abingdon last year, but had to pull out.........  heard it is brilliant......

Come & join in again 3:30 image

• Options
    Will do - cheers !
  • Options

Hi all, well I still have a good for age place to look forward to having done Amsterdam in 3:41, and I now know that I am well capable of a sub 3:30, I just need to get my stomach sorted.  Which by the way I am being refered to a Gastrowhaterhisnameis so fingers cross.

Thanks to everyone for great advice and support throughout the training, it has been much fun and as Arni says, I'll be back!!!!

• Options

Me too, I'm just not sure I can face another disappointment image still I feel I should make the most of the automatic entry, it could be my last chance!  This was the only marathon I didn't have long chats in, perhaps that's my downfall - everything seems to take longer when you're just concentrating on ticking off the miles.  I'm obviously more relaxed deep in conversation!  Hope you get your stomach sorted out soon.

Anyone else still have problems with stairs and the dip of driveways???!

• Options

Feels weird without FLM being such a big factor in your life eh?! Have already entered the ballot but I'm not expecting to get accepted, so I'm already thinking about Paris and New York...even Loch Ness in October!

• Options

I haven't run since Sunday and I am having withdraw symptons, but my toe really hurts, tried to busted yesterday but now hurts even more image.

FH yes still having problems with stairs, I am sure I wasn't this bad after Amsterdam last year.

Ian, the more I think about it the more I am convinced that Seville is the one to go for next year, is in Feb which means cool, flattest course that I have ever run (flatter than Berlin or Amsterdam) and with ony 3000 people doing it, it has huge PB pottential. The crowds are not too bad considering the small field taking place, the goody back is fantastic (shorts, top, towel), you can fly there and stay there for under £200 for the weekend and (this is the best bit) they give you free beer at the finish line, what else can I say!!!!

• Options

I'm also having toe problems, my left big toenail is black! 

Seville sounds amazing!!! i definitely want to do a few overseas marathons, but must admit havent heard about that one...

Couldnt believe how bad the goody bag was

• Options
    Ian, I tried to put a pin in my toe to releave the blood which is why the toe nail is black and it did work (make sure you heat the pin first)
  • Options
    Was anybody else's cranberry sauce particularly runny? Do you think it was just a duff batch that they couldn't sell so they thought - hey you know what we can just give it to those marathon runners they won't be able to tell the difference after 26.2 miles!!!
  • Options
    good tip RL, where exactly do you put the pin?!
  • Options

Cranberry sauce...don't think that went well with my fish and chips!! I hadn't had fish and chips for over a year and this was my "blow out" meal to reward myself...one of those silly psych up goals I set myself!!

You guys are considering the pins!!  Brave folk...I have a black toenail that's just begging to be pulled off but resisting this at the moment!!  Got that very early on in the training and looked like it was going to come off the morning of the FLM!  I love the adulation coming back into work and went to see the other runners last night who we've trained with over the months...

while they slipped off for a 7 mile run...we went for a cheeky beer or two.....first in 2 months!!  Great taste!!

Seville sounds appealing!!  Flat as well!!  Vamos!!!

• Options

I been told that once the pin is hot prick the nail.  Black toe nail means that you have blood caught between the toe and the nail.  Mine is worst as it is also black around the toe, I did some of it last night and you get a redish liquid (combination of puss and blood) but still got lots more so will do it again today.

Hey I had my first glass of Rioja last night, first glass of alcohol in almost 2 weeks, and it tasted great.  See stop drinking for 2 weeks before the marathon and don't get a PB, I think that is telling me something image

• Options
    PS my cramberry sauce was very runny as well.  I think Flora just didn't bother to make an effort this year.
  • Options

"redish liquid (combination of puss and blood)"

That was the cranberry sauce then Rioja???!!image

• Options
    You are right, that must be why the pot is so runny.
  • Options

Cranberry sauce...don't think that went well with my fish and chips!! I hadn't had fish and chips for over a year and this was my "blow out" meal to reward myself...one of those silly psych up goals I set myself!!

You guys are considering the pins!!  Brave folk...I have a black toenail that's just begging to be pulled off but resisting this at the moment!!  Got that very early on in the training and looked like it was going to come off the morning of the FLM!  I love the adulation coming back into work and went to see the other runners last night who we've trained with over the months...

while they slipped off for a 7 mile run...we went for a cheeky beer or two.....first in 2 months!!  Great taste!!

Seville sounds appealing!!  Flat as well!!  Vamos!!!

• Options
    I think I am having deyavoo Carlo, I am sure you have posted the same message earlier image
  • Options
    I think the heat is getting to him - that or the glory of a sub 3h30!!
  • Options

Carlo- leave the nail in place but do the hot paperclip thing like RL says.  You need to do it soon as otherwise the fluid sets and won't come out well.  Having said that, at that stage its usually lees painful anyway. Unfold the paperclip partially so you have a long spike.  Put some thick elastoplast around the remaining curly bit (you don't need burnt fingers too), then heat the tip and apply to nail.  If yoou'd done it on Sunday evening, you might have got an impressive squirt of blood outimage.

I'm trying to fix up another sports massage today so that I can do stairs more easily.

• Options

the race pics are going up on the site now...mine dont look too bad considering, well some of them anyway!

• Options

Good thread this guys!!

I ran on Sunday and got a sub 4 , however next year i would like to go for a sub 3.30 so what sort of times for the shorter distances should i be capable to get round sub 3.30?

Thanks chris 

• Options

4:06.32 official time Was hoping for 3:45ish but my legs gave in at 17 miles and finished at a snails pace. I will try again in 2011 and will aim for sub 3:45 I managed the 1st  half in 1:44 so was going great guns at that point all downhill from Canary Wharf

Great running all of you and some impressive times. image

• Options
    Chris for a sub 3:30 aim to get a half in 1:37 and a 20miler race in 2:35/2:40.
  • Options

Chris Bayliss- I followed the Runners World sub 3.30 schedule and did 3:22 on the day.During that 16 week schedule I had PBs of 40:24 in a 10k and 1:31 on a hilly 1/2 marathon.  If you read back over this thread I think you'll find we mostly did a much gentler taper than the one suggested- I did 25 miles less than was recommended in the schedule in the last 3 weeks.

However your speed in the shorter runs is less important than doing your long slow runs (having said that, I did all my LRSs at marathon pace).  Its about building up stamina and muscle resistance to injury.

Good luck in your training - don't forget to give yourself a rest now.

• Options

Hmmmmm  seville does sound good, hmmmm tempting......

Off back to Edinburgh thread, for the next sub 3:30 attempt, NOT giving up!!!

See you on another thread soon imageimage

• Options

Very sound advice Old Shadow. I think the long slow runs are an essential part of marathon training.

Now the dust and sweat has settled, it has given me time to reflect on my first marathon experience. I followed the Runners world schedule (perhaps not the full quota of mileage) which went really well. I managed a very good 10k (39:27) and half marathon pb's (1:29:14) which gave me a real good chance of a sub 3:30. 

Despite the stomach cramps I think it was always going to be an up hill struggle on the day. Here's where I think it went wrong.

1. I drank too much on the day. I was worried about dehydration due to the intense heat, this didn't help the cramps and I felt bloated. In training I never really needed much water/lucozade when running, yet on the day I was guzzling it down.

2. Definately increase the long runs, leg strength and stamina is so important. My legs were gone last 6 miles.  

3. Like Old Shadow stated, I felt I tapered my training too much. The last three weeks I dropped the training right down which I don't think helped.

Perhaps I underestimated the Marathon, because the training went so well I was really confident of doing the time. It's not called a Marathon for nothing!! But it was a great event and one that has given me good experience and put me in good stead for the next one (already applied for next year). Maybe on another day it could have happened, but there are so many variables that can effect your running on the day.   

Here's to 2010!!

• Options

mate with those times you're more than capable of 3h30, easily!!! i dont think i could drop under 1h30 for a half...

RL are you doing the great baddow 10?

good luck with edinburgh smiffie...but another marathon in 5 weeks?! wow, I'm not sure I could manage that...

• Options

....Yeah, that seems a bit soon to me.

Still recovering from the marathon, I decided to move a machine at work and managed to pull my lower back!! Been for some treatment this afternoon, looking like a long recovery. Looks like the 10k is doubtful in two weeks, struggling to walk at the moment!! Thankfully it wasn't last week, imagine?! All that training only to miss the FLM due to an injury.

Funny, now the marathons over all I want ot do is go out and run!!

• Options
    Niihty- I agree.  I've only done one run in the last 10 days!  I might try a gentle potter on Sunday as i have a 4mile race on Thursday and the Oxford Town and Gown 10k on 17/5.  Hope your back settles- keep taking pain killers, heat, gentle stretching, keep active.