Options

Deaf Runners

Comments

• Options

I'm lucky in that part of my job involves patient transport from the local hospitals so I can pop in most weeks if I need anything. The less they see of me, the happier they are.image

Most of the Audiology department know me by name by now and we stop and have a chat if passing around the hospital, that's how I came to ask about the seals yesterday. Nothing is definite on them, it's just that Becca thought she has some somewhere. Unless I work up there on Friday then I shan't get them for another fortnight (if they exsist) at least.

• Options

Good morning all,

Just a question really...how often do you have your moulds changed?

I think this is the reason I get told off by the audiologists...I don't get my moulds changed frequently enough. I suffer the discomfort in my outer ear instead of getting the moulds changed. When I get fed up with the constant itchiness etc...then I go for a replacement...and the admonishment.image

Also how do you dispose of your batteries? I used to hand mine in to the dispensing counter but they don't accept now. I just throw them in the rubbish at home.

EM...I hope the seals are found...it will be interesting to hear your comments.

Phil.     

• Options

I change my mould when I need to change my moulds.  Technically you are supposed to change them every 18 months.  My current pair must be 3 or /4 years old.  They fit so well.  Since my current pair I have had impressions taken twice since but each time the moulds did not fit as well as my current pair and had an increased tendancy to whistle.

However my current pair are really on their last legs so I'm going to audiology in June to get some more impressions taken.  Hopefully 3rd time lucky they will be a good fit!

• Options

Hi Becky,

From your comments it would appear that I'm not doing anything different to other people. I've had my current mould about 3 years now. I had the same problem with my last fitting. When I received a replacement mould it was too big...the audiologist tried to file it down a little to improve the fit...this didn't work so it was back to the old mould.

Since I changed to a digital aid I don't get any whistle thankfully.

Guys...how long to your batteries last? I always try to remember to change mine on Monday morning before I leave home for work. I suppose that the battery is still charged then but I've always done this.

Phil.    

• Options
    mine appears to be weekly.  got fed up sending the old ones off and getting new ones in the post.  Too much hassle, just buy mine in Boots - I know, stupid when I can get them for freeimage
  • Options

I can understand waht you mean...we live busyenough lives now anyway. I'm lucky in that I can pop in to my doctors surgery on the way home form work to collect mine...they usually give me 2 or 3 packs which is 3/4 months supply.

I feel guilty chucking the old ones in the rubbish but what else can we do with them...no one else seems too bothered.

I never test my batteries to check for charge...I just change every week to avoid the battery packing up at an inconvenient  time.

Is it worth you asking at your local health centre? I imagine it is convenient for you to buy from Boots...but you pay your taxes and should get them free. 

• Options

I change my batteries as and when needed unless I am going to an important meeting (I will then change them on the morning of that meeting).

Phil - I'm surprised to hear that your doctors do not take your old batteries in exchange for new ones. In my experience, around here you cannot get new ones unless you have your old ones to swap.

Becky - I never knew you are supposed to change moulds every 18 months, my current ones are at least 5 years old and I can only remember ever having one other set of moulds (which I keep for emergency). And now I think about it, I only got the present ones because we had a new Audiologist.

I probably cost them too much in hearing aids so they won't change the moulds. image

Working at the hospital tomorrow so I will see if the lovely Becca has any of those seals, if I get any I will try them out at the gym tomorrow evening and report back.

• Options

Morning all,

EM...When I used to change my batteries at the hospital, they used to exchange one for one...then suddenly they stopped this and told me to get the batteries from my own GP surgery. When I took my used batteries there I was told in no uncertain terms"we don't take them back".consequently I just throw in the rubbish. This is wrong I know, but what else can I do.

I vaguely remember an audiologist telling me once that it is recommended that moulds are changed every couple of years. I suppose it is down to the individual...if they are okay then continue to use. The last mould I had made was terrible...it was much too big and no amount of filing by the audiologist could get the thing to fit properly.  

Good luck with the seals. I've ordered a pair of Eargear aid protectors...I will keep you informed on the progress with these.

Did a really hard 10K  yesterday afternoon...48 mins...not too bad considering my legs are aching. I think I need a break from running...I've not missed a session for over 18 months ...getting abit weary now.   

Phil. 

• Options

Good afternoon all,

I trust you all had a good weekend...plenty of good running now the weather is improving.

I went out on Saturday for a slow 9 miler. The weather held for me...got caught in a light shower but for most of the time I ran in weak sunshine. There was a slight cool breeze which stopped me getting too hot and sticky. It was a very enjoyable run.

In my last post I commented about my legs aching and being weary...but I felt really good after Saturday with no adverse effects on Sunday or today. I think that perhaps I should do more runs at a slower pace.

I've got a bit of an ear infection today...ironic because we took the dog to the vets on Friday with an ear infection. The vet gave him some drops...I should have asked if it would be okay for me to use them.image

What do you guys do when you get infections...visit the doc or self medicate? I usually wait and see, I'm reluctant to visit the GPs unless absolutely necessary.

Phil.

• Options
    Sea swimming can be helpful for ear infections if the water can get to the infection.
  • Options
    *I've got a bit of an ear infection today...ironic because we took the dog to the vets on Friday with an ear infection. The vet gave him some drops...I should have asked if it would be okay for me to use them.image

What do you guys do when you get infections...visit the doc or self medicate? I usually wait and see, I'm reluctant to visit the GPs unless absolutely necessary.*

I'm not going to tempt fate by answering that question.image

Saw the lady in audio last Friday, but unfortunately the seals they have got are too small for my aids so she has ordered some for me. Have been told it will be about 2 weeks untill they get them, which works out fine as I am off work for the next fortnight.image

• Options

Good morning guys,

DB...I'm not sure about swimming in the sea...I enjoy swimming in the sea and if this does help ear infections that is great...it's all the other stuff you have to swim with that puts me offimage

EM...I think you understood my point...you are just trying to wind me up me thinks.

Unfortunate about the seals...wait for them, at least you are getting them for free. I've now ordered the eargear thingies...out of stock at the moment but I should have them in 2/3 weeks.

Enjoy your hols....are you going anywhere nice or just resting up. I'm too polite to ask if you are just going to laze about.image

Phil.    

• Options

Phil
    Laze, laze and more lazing seem to be the plan now. I'm trying to force myself out for one of those "run" thingies.image
    I was supposed to be going away but plans had to be changed.

Yes, I did see your point and I wasn't trying to wind you up, it's just that I didn't want to start talking about ear infections because I would then usually get one. (ie: tempt fate)

Got a new noise from the Tinitus last night.
    Sounded like my work mobile was ringing (even though it is switched off), switched off hearing aids and it was still there - Tinitus.

I'm fortunate in that it doesn't last long for me. It isn't constant like some folks suffer, but comes and goes.

Suppose I'd better go out now.

Catch you later.

Muzzy.

• Options

Hi Muzzy,

I get your point now about ear infections. Thankfully I don't get too many but it is certainly painful and annoying when they appear...as you will no doubt agree.

I'm all in favour of some lazing about...it's the OH that gets the goatimage I'm going to laze this evening...Man Utd/Chelsea on the box!!!

I get all sorts of different tinnitus noise...like you it doesn't go on and on but it can be from very quiet to extremely loud. I find that when I want some peace and quiet...it is louder till it all settles down.

Enjoy your run...I did mine yesterday afternoon after work. The weather condtions were just right...really enjoyable run.

Phil. 

• Options
    Is tinnitus any noise that isn't made by something else external? I have never mentioned it to medics, it comes and goes but always a high pitched whine.
  • Options

Hi Dustboy,

I think it is generally accepted that noise in the ear is tinnitus. It can vary from high pitched whining to a dull buzzing...to me it is part of being deaf. It does come and go in intensity...but with me it is always there in the background. 

I suppose hearing people think deaf people don't hear any noise...but it is probable that all deaf people have some internal noise.

You should mention this to the audiologists when you next visit.

I remember when I was younger before I went deaf that I had these noises in my head but at the time I was too young to realise that something was amiss. Only later when my hearing started to deteriorate did this become significant.

Phil.  

• Options
    Hmm, maybe I had better mention it when I next go to doc for whatever. Not sure there is anything they can do mind. Oddly, it is worse in my better ear.
  • Options

I've never spoken to the audiologist about what I could do to reduce the noise. People who suffer badly sometimes use masking devices. I'm not sure how these work  exactly but I assume that there is some noise output from the device that over rides the tinnitus.

It would be best if there was someone reading the thread with more knowledge to give an explaination about the masking devices. It appears that some people suffer from tinnitus but are not deaf.

My old man suffered terribly with head noises...ended up in a mental hospital with the depression caused by the constant buzzing and whining.

• Options

Dustboy

You might, if very bored, like to read the following article from the British Tinnitus Association
    Understanding and managing Tinnitus.

Be warned though, it does go on.

From reading that article I gather that masking devices work by providing "white noise" (a sound in the background) thus preventing silence within the brain which is supposedly the cause of Tinnitus.

• Options

Ta,

so basically, ignore it and the brain will adjust.

I do wish it would shut up though.

I was out with some colleagues last night and realised that I couldn't actually make out 50% of what they were saying. If more than one talks at once or there is other noise present, that increases to 10%. Think I am gonna have to bite the bullet and get to the GP at some stage to get this quantified.

Curiously, in total silence, it's not so bad and can hear most things. It's more like having a cheap knackered speaker that just distorts everything if there is too much going on. With a high pitched whine in. Strangely, about once a year, there is a kind of pop in the head and my hearing seems to return to normal for about 5 seconds. Probably imagining it though.  

• Options

Mine does that if I go wrong in a tumble turn at the swimming pool, everything goes very, very loud for about 2 or 3 minutes.

It is often said by non sufferers that peeps with Tinnitus only hear when they want to, mainly because you can be hearing someone ok'ish, then your Tinnitus gets worse and so does your ability to understand what is being said.
    That's the way I see it anyway.

• Options

Morning all,

EM...thanks for the info ref tinnitus. I've never really read about the causes. I may be wrong in the asumption that deaf people all suffer various degrees of noise.

Did you enjoy your run yesterday...or did you succumb to the lure of a lazy day?

Over the years when my hearing was getting worse I just came to accept this along with the deafness.

DB...Don't do what I did over the years. I let things drift regarding visiting my GP and keeping up to date with the developments in help for deaf people. Keep pushing your GP if you think your hearing is deteriorating. I lost a good ten years of improved hearing when I didn't visit my GP/hearing consultant. When I finally did get to the hospital the consultant told me off for the delay. He then performed a stapedectomy operation which improved my hearing in my right ear. It is not perfect...I still wear an aid but it is significantly better than it was.

Phil.    

• Options

Morning Phil (and I should have said "morning" to Dustboy earlier)

I went shopping then straight to the woods for a short 4 miler.
    I do get very lazy when on holiday, so the shopping trip was as good an excuse as any to get me out of the house, once I'm out I will happily go running.

Off to the gym shortly as training schedule has me down for cross training and weights.

• Options

Hi everyone

Things have been a bit busy work wise and then any spare time I'm trying to fit in my run. 

Regarding ear infections I have ear spray on repeat prescition now. doctor got fed up seeing me once or twice a year for a boring ear infection.  We are more susceptible given we have a warm moist lumo of plastic as a breeding ground!  Useless doctor though because everytime I went he wanted to look in my ears and before he did so I warned him once I took my aids out I could not hear anything so pointless toalking to me.  Guess what, he carries on talking to me whilst I have then out Doh!

Tinitius, I don't know any different so just live with it.  although this is essentially the culprit as to why you can hear better some days than others.  So frustrating.  Having a bad day at work today with phone and meetings.  There are times it gets so hard trying to follow everything and not come across stupid.  I'm tired.  Hope tomorrows a better day.

• Options

(((Becky)))

Off to the gym.

Catch you all later.

• Options

Hi all,

EM...good for you...I think if the truth be told we all like to be lazy. It takes an awful lot of motivation to get out running week after week. I don't do gyms...I've got a healthrider machine in the loft for my resistence work. Good machine but it can get boring after 20 minutes or so.

Becky...so sorry to hear of your busy work load...these bosses have no consideration for the more important things in life. I think that we all suffer from ear infections on a frequent basis. Like you said there is an ideal environment for them to flourish. I agree with your comment about being spoken to when we remove our aids...double doh!!!

I find often that people at work take to me when I'm on the phone and my aid is switched to the loop...treble doh!!!

Hope you day gets better....go fro a nice slow run later...being out running will pur things into perspective.

Phil. 

PS...Becky, I hope your not the bossimage

• Options

Morning all

Hope you all have a better day at work today.

• Options

Good morning all,

EM...I think you are trying to wind us up again...I bet your'e enjoying your hols while we toil away turning the wheels of commerce. Actually it is very quiet here at the moment. Most of my work is finished for this week....hurray!!!!

Bank hol this weekend...long slow run early Saturday morning for me followed by some recreational gardening. Perhaps if the weather is kind we'll take the dog for a nice walk on Saturday and end up in a very nice local pub for lunch. Egg and chips for me..mmmmmm

Have you guys got plans for this weekend?

You will be pleased to hear that my ear infection is a lot better today...still abit tender but improving daily.

Good result last night for UTD...good game...a pity that penalties required to decide the outcome.

Phil. 

• Options
    I have no time for either team, but Frank Lampard deserved to get that shot where he span on the spot.
  • Options

Good morning all,

DB...don't get me wrong...I'm indifferent about football nowadays...I just commented about the game. I felt it had all the drama to make it worth watching. When these sides played in the FA cup a couple of years ago it was a dreadful game.

Went out yesterday afternoon for a steady 10k...first couple of miles were okay then I got the dreaded stitch. It wasn't too bad...just a dull pain...this persisted for the rest of my run. This is the first time for years that I've had stitch. I tried to slow my pace...and also breathing in deeply but to no avail. It didn't spoil my run but it was very uncomfortable.