Options

Deaf Runners

Comments

• Options

DB

Good for you...don't get fobbed off...get a referal to a consultant. It will probably take awhile for an appt. but at least now things are going to get sorted. 

• Options

aaarrrggghhh stressed and tired and running around with nan in hospital and having to work away from main office relying on mobile phone etc.  Tinnitus was whining so loud last night I couldn't concentrate reading in the bath!  Not too bad with hearing aids in with noise to mask.

The only light at the end of the tunnel is a spa day with friends on Saturday.  Why is today only wednesday?

Done 16 miles since Sunday as well.  Not sure how I fit it all in.

• Options

Hi Becky,

Very sorry to hear that your Nan is in hospital. I hope it is not serious and that you don't have to travel too far to visit.

You seem prettty stressed out at the moment...you put me to shame with your mileage. I've had a quiet weekend and it is very slow at work and I've only managed a 10K so far this week. image

Thats all I can say really...things will improve...these times are foisted on us to test our resolve but it will calm down.

Enjoy the spa day with your mates...relax and make the most of what ever it is you do at a spa.image

Phil.

• Options

Hi Guys,

Just a moan really...having a crap day at work...boss's got a bee in his bonnet...like a bear with a sore ass.image

Becky...my apologies for this trivial moan...no way near as stressful as your problems at the moment.image

Out for a 10K after work...this will put things back in to perspectiveimage

Any chavs get in the way today...they are dead meat.image

Phil. 

• Options

This is the BEST moaning thread!

Soooo, chavicide is about to become an offence?image 

• Options

Not an offence...a civic responsibility with a cash reward for each chav executedimage

Gordon Brown is going to reward hard working chav eliminators for their support to a worthwhile community project.image  

• Options
    Executed.... Excellent. I've been playing Manhunt with chavs.
  • Options

Great run yesterday afternoon...regretably there were no chavs on which to vent my pent up frustrations.image

DB...I think you have invented a new game...Chav  V  The Raging Runner. EXTERMINATE!!!!image

Is this a new term to add to our colourful vocabulary...Runrage?

• Options

Avoided chavs last night by running 400m reps on my treadmill whilst watching the apprentice.  Always with subbies of course.  Due a 5 miler tonight along the prom at Tankerton, will definately meet chavs and dogs and bikes!!!!

update - Nan ok.  things are calming down.  Running is a real stress buster.

• Options

Hi Becky,

Good to hear that your Nan is okay...enjoy your day at the spa...let us know if the spa is better than a nice long slow run. It will probably cost you moreimage

I think I'm going to incorporate a new schedule in to my programme...chase a chav...short quick bursts of speed then accelerate past them with two fingers stuck in the air...and hope they never catch meimage

Your run tonight sounds very appealing...chavs aside. Not knowing where Tankerton is I assume it is by the sea?

Biked to work today and then resisteance work this evening for me. Long run sometime Saturday. Going to a falcon rescue centre on Sunday. I'm going to be flying and feeding the birds.    

• Options

Enjoy your birds.  Looking forward to seeing my chickens at the weekend.  Picking them up for a cuddle!

Tankerton is by the sea on the North Kent Coast.

Hopefully my tinnitus will quieten down over weekend as things calm down 

• Options

I've been reading in the press recently about the latest trend in keeping your own chickens and having organic eggs. Is this something you are looking to do? 

I envy you your run tonight...there is something special about the seaside. You can finish on the prom and get some candyfloss to top up your carbsimage

I'm sure that when you get with your mates you will ahve a great time and the tinnitus will be all but forgotten for the day.   

• Options

Well, it's done, been to the quacks and she is going to refer me for an audiothing. She seemed to think that they would deffo be able to do something to help.

Oddly, I have become more sensitive to road/tyre noise. Wierd that.

07.15 in the sea Sunday for Weymouth half Iron Man distance race. Doing sod all till then. 

• Options

DB,

Did your GP give you any timescale for how long you would have to wait. The waiting time for audiology is not too bad in Shropshire. My brother only had a few weeks wait last year on his first consultation. He is still having to persevere with his aid but that is not the fault of the NHS. Says he keeps getting ear infections and this stops him from wearing the aid.

For the traffic noise sensitivity I have no idea...perhaps the audiologist will have an explanation for you.

Good luck with the Iron Man...don't over eat on your rest days...thats what I do and feel sluggish when I get to run again.

Whilst in Weymouth you can chase a chav and chuck them in the sea...can't run...can't swim...get the ideaimage    

• Options
    Good luck dustboy with Iron Man.
  • Options

Only a half...... but cheers.

Hey, if they fix me lugholes in due course, I might find out what they say at the safety briefings!image

No clues as to waiting list. I just assumed 3 months, a few cancellations by them, another 6 weeks and then get to see the person you get to see who decides whether you need to see another person or a consultant? Or am I being facetious?

• Options

DB...I think you have hit the nail on the head...it will take time to  get sorted but at least things are moving for you now.

When you are sorted you will have to play by the rules rather than plead ignorance when you break the safety guidelinesimage

Have a good weekend all...another week and I will be off to sunny Devon for a few days relaxation.image

• Options

DB - Only a half you wimp. image

says the man who will not go above Oly....image

Been trying to keep a low profile after upsetting everyone, but Muttley is just winding me up on the featured thread.

Sorry if it upsets any of you, but I will not take his argument lying down.

• Options

Good morning all,

I did a 10miler on Staurday afternoon and although I enjoyed the run I felt dreadful later in the evening. I drank loads of tea after the run and had a beer with my evening meal but by 9 pmish I had a terrible droning in my head...very much like tinnitus but very low pitched...almost like a helicopter drone in the distance. Was I too dehydrated? have any of you guys noticed anything like this after a run on a rather warm day?

Felt okay on Sunday...just this droning delayed me going to sleep on Saturday night,

Had a good day on Sunday...went for a walk with a Harris hawk. The falconer lead the walk...gave me the small pieces of chicken every few hundred yards around the walk...these are used to get the bird back to your hand. A great experience to have the bird swoop down to your hand and perch to eat these small tidbits. 

DB...Did you win the ironman?

Becky...are you all relaxed today and laid back after your spa day...it will soon fade once you get back on the treadmill of workimage (sorry)         

• Options

yup faded already.  Nan back in hospital after 2nd heart attack.image

I find if I don't drink enough after a LSR I tend to get headache late afternoon if I have run in the morning.  Not good.   Sounds like dehydration to me.  Now have SIS REGo afterwards to help recover plus Lucozade Active Sport.

• Options

Hi Becky,

Sorry that my joke backfired...doubly sorry to hear of your Nan's heart attack...puts my weekend in perspective.

Thanks for the comment about headaches after long runs. I've not experienced this before and I was just concerned that perhaps I should be taking more liquids on board. It could have been that I was not properly hydrated before I started the run. I will have to try the Locozade...I don't usually bother with sports drinks.

Good luck for next few days...I'm sure things will work out for you.    

• Options

did a good run yesterday.  3 minute hill reps.  run uphill 3 mins, run downhill 3 mins, ten times.  This is a hill on the north downs.  Total timme running 60 mins of which 30 mins is uphill.  Managed to run uphill in that time a distance of 3.7km.  Felt satisfied at the end of it but aching today so I know its done me good.  Have a hilly 10k coming up in July.

I'm a heavy sweater so water along is not good enough for me hence the lucozade active as it helps replace the salts. 

• Options

I don't consider that i sweat excessively...if I wear a baseball cap then I can see salt rings after the hat is dry so perhaps I should give some thought to Lucozade. I try not to use too much salt in my diet...could be that in the warmer weather I need to supplement my intake with sports drinks.

I had a day of rest yesterday...the walk we did with the hawk was only a couple of miles...not too far and not too energetic.

Your hill reps sounds like hard work...no wonder you ache today. You are putting a lot of work in in preperation for your next 10 K...you are going to smash your PBimage 

I painted the kitchen ceiling on Saturday and I think I pulled a rib muscle...nothing serious but a bit painful when I turn sharply. Anyway regardless I'm going for a steady 10K this afternoon.      

• Options

Good morning all,

I've finally received the Eargear boots from Connevans. I wore one yesterdeay evening when I did a session of resistence training...got a bit of a sweat on but not enough to test the boot. I'll be going for a 10K this afternoon and I will let you all know how I get on when I work up a sweat.

So far my initial impressions are positve. I wore the boot in the evening when I was watching TV and there didn't appear to be any loss of volume/sound quality...in fact I thought that there was a slight increase in the sound quality...perhaps this is just me and not enhancement from the boot. The boot fits well on the aid and it is comfortable to wear...in fact I've left it on my aid for work today.

Thankfully we have had some rain here over night and this has eased my hay fever....really looking forward to my run later. Things have been a little hectic the last couple of days and I need a run to clear the stress and clutter from my head. Hopefully by tomorrow everything will be back in harmony and I can depart for a week's holiday in Devon feeling relaxed and positive. 

• Options

Good morning all,

I went for my run yesterday wearing the Eargear boot on my aid and it certainly worked. I did a 10K run and came home hot and sticky. There was no moisture ingress through the boot...my aid was dry and I'm pleased with result.

It was really strange to go out and hear every footfall slapping on the tarmac pavement. What surprised me also was the volume of traffic noise that I miss when I run without an aid. The first part of my regular 10k run is in the countryside...this was very pleasant because I could hear the bird song clearly...however when I got to the town part of my run there was a constant drone of traffic noise from a dual-carriageway that I run along side of. This diminished somewhat when I ran a round the last part of my run which is a couple of laps of a local fishing lake. This bit of the run was good...people often say hello etc on this section of my run...usually I jusy wave because I'm not sure of what they say to me but yesterday I responded with a reply to their comments.

I would recommend trying the Eargear...I'm not sure that I would wear it for every run...I do like the peace and quiet of running without my aid but having said that I will probably wear mine on my longer runs to alleviate the boredom factor.            

• Options

Phil

Have to say I'm really tempted given your review.  I am a real heavy sweater.  Are you sure that the sweat  won't run in at the top? 

• Options

Hi Becky,

I had a good sweat on yesterday and there was no moisture on my aid at all. The manufacturers say that these will protect against rain too. I'm really impressed...obviously I would be cautious about being out in heavy rain but I would'nt be too concerned if it was drizzle or light rain. I will be wearing mine at all times now...they will help to protect my aid.  

At £21 a pair I think it would be worth a try anyway. Just a note about the Eargear colours. In the brochure Connevans sent to me with my boots they have added two new colours...Chocolate brown and grey. If you decide to try them I suggest you phone Connevans and check on availability.

It was a strange experience to go out yesterday for the first time wearing the boot...it will take some adjusting to but for longer runs...particularly in cooler weather where we won't sweat so much I think they are a must.

Perhaps you could try running initially with just one aid...if this is practicle...then if you find that you are comfortable you can go with wearing two.

If there are other deaf runners that have tried the boots could you please add your comments. the more we share info the better for all.

• Options

Hi all,

Just to let you know that I'm on holiday next week and I'm off line for the duration of my vacation.image

Becky...hope things improve for your Nan...good luck with the boots if you decide to give them a try.image

DB...if you are doing any Ironman during the next week...good luck image

• Options

Enjoy your hols phil.

I think I will try them.  Good suggestion just trying with one first.

Seeing my audiologist on Monday anyway for new moulds, we go back circa 30 years so will see what he says.  He was a runner in his younger days so will understand completely the issue. 

Hope this is a solution as it will be safer but also will be good at times to have ipod.  whether that a good thing or not we have seen is a whole separate arguement! 

Nan now out of hospital again.  Keep my fingers crossed all will be ok this time.

• Options
    Hi Becky,

Just a quick post to tell you how I fared today when I did my long run. Well I did 11 miles wearing my aid plus the boot and it was absolutely brilliant. No moisture on my aid when I got home. I could hear everything around me. I heard a dog bark in the distance...didn't actually see the dog but I was aware that it was close by and that I should be cautious. I feel confidant in recommending that you try these. I will be buying another pair when I get back off my hols...this is how good I feel they are.

Thanks for holiday message...hope I can get some petrol to get home next weekend.

Good news for your Nan...enjoy your runs this coming week...I'm resting and relaxing for the holiday.

Bye Phil.