Options

Deaf Runners

Comments

• Options

Just had an extreme terrain 12 km mountain run ...My shoes fell off three times in deep mud...I nearly twisted my right ankle twice !! Never never again i use lace locks on my trail runners.I thought they would make them more flexible but no not for trial running.I just bought them on the weekend as part of my duathlon and triathlon for fast shoe taking off and putting on.

Philly ...You have better sense than i have .It s great you do it for your old good .One morning you could wake up running for a charity .Never know.One day i could be doing ultras of my own for charities...Yep running can be up and down at times .If tired or in a fuss take a break and do some cross training. It s a great hobby for your fitness keeping you young !!

Muzzzz...Interesting story about the cochlear child ..If you have any questions to ask on cochlear implants ..Feel free to ask ..May i ask how do run the treadmill ...Flat or upwards ? I have difficulties on the flat as am a mid-sole runner .Heard it suits heel and forefoot strikers ..Upwards is fine with me ..Funny !

Cheerio lads ..Must Buzzzzzz..zzzz
  • Options

Hi Buzz...thanks for your input on here over the last few days...you have lifted my spirits somewhat and your get up and go for-it attitude spurred me on to get on my exercise machine yesterday evening and I had a really good session. I'm going out later today for a 10K and feel that my mood's shifted a little and that I'm back in the groove and I'm looking forward to this run. Last week every run was a chore...today I feel that it will be pleasure to be out.

I'm an old fashioned runner...I just buy a pair of shoes and go with what I get regarding laces etc. I do find the wicking vests are well worth the money but other than that I still run with the basic kit...I don't know what lock up laces are for or how they work. I can understand the need for quick change in triathlon etc but I've never done this type of sport.

• Options

Lock laces in muddy races ?
    Chortle, chortle. image

Sorry Buzz but we all have to learn !!
    I was fortunate enough to learn during a training run not a race.

Tread/dreadmill running - I either set the thing on Random or Hills (if hills I alternate between programs) for anything upto 50 minutes, my boredome threshold seems to be there. image

It is very rare that I run on the thing without at least a small incline so I'm never really running flat. (Only warm downs)

• Options

Morning all,

Did a good 10K yesterday afternoon...49 mins. Not too bad considering the problems I've had with my motivation over the last couple of weeks. I feel that perhaps on reflection I was pushing myself a little too hard. I'm going to ease back and rekindle the enjoyment of just running rather than focusing on monthly mileage. I hope this worksimage

Buzz/EM...I never run on a treadmill...bloody kills my ankles for days after...I like the fresh air blowing round my face. Also I really  get a load of satisfaction when the chavs shout at me...hahaha...I can't hear a word the idiots shoutimage   

• Options

I can see were you are coming from Phil, I too would prefer running out doors but I just struggle to do it. (No motivation)
    At least if I go to the gym straight from work I'm guaranteed some running.

At the moment I'm doing a weekend run with a guy from off here (see Places to run in Notts) and that is the best run of the week.image

• Options

I have taken two days off from running due to my sore ankle i got from that mountain running last Weds.Just carried on with swimming and cycling .I just recognised how i miss running .I'll be back tomorrow to do hill reps. This Sunday will be cycling doing the 100k tour of the twin peaks ( two mountains to climb !! yuk)

About treadmills ,am afraid am not a fan of them .If i see one , i make sure the upwards works and a damn bloody Mp3 player is in my pocket to avoid boredom !! They can be useful for the winter training.

Back to lock laces.They are very handy to get your shoes on/off as quick.Triathetes love them. You don't have to fasten the strings/laces.Once on when you lift the laces there's a button to slide down and tighten.No hassles. I recommend them in that type of sport and in running also but NEVER in trail running.Use proper laces.To have a look what they look like , Zoots runners have them.Try www.zoots.com or wwww.zootsrunning.com

Philly..wow That's a good timing you got for your 10k of your age and only training .You must be getting younger !!!!! Am sure you ll have a relaxing run out in the country this weekend ( Building mileage if you have in mind !!!!)

Muzz...Enjoy your weekend run with your mate ..You'll get plenty of motivation....Sometimes in races someone gets beside me and runs in the same pace ...Hard to get rid of ourselves ,we try to challenge after a few kilos or miles and brings alot of motivation. Really exciting. Sometimes i blame my Mizuno runners for that 'snappy' sound giving my challenger the rhythm. Once now i wear Nike for racing and Mizuno/Asics for training.

Better buzzzz guys....enjoy your runs Cheerio

• Options
    hi guys been off work all week at home on hols. i should have been out down 2min hill reps this morning but so much to do as have visiters staying overnight, so doing cleaning, washing, shopping etc. Also need to get separate hen ark cleaned up and waist high grass in the run sorted as I am picking up 2 young hens on monday. Feel really guilty not running. As have hilly 10k to do next sunday. ?Have run 3x this week already. Well chuffed with Tuesdays run where I did 4.2miles in 42 mins. Hopefully soon I will be able to break that hour for a 10k (i know don't laugh, it's a dreadful time). Looking to run with friends tomorrow for a 6 miler, hopefully that will cheer me up.

must dash.
  • Options

Morning all,

Did you get to watch any of the tennis finals...I saw some of the mens final and I thought it was enthralling...two guys at the top of their sport. Well done too to Lewis at the Brit GP. Drove a good race in dodgy conditions.

I went on Saturday for a steady 7 miler...didn't feel too great but at least it was some miles in rather than doing nowt. We are having the stairs re-plastered next weekend...spent yesterday preparing...so I will have to try and get my runs in during the week. I'm not sure how things will work out with the plasterers there...will just have to play things by hear and take my chances for a run as and when.

Becky...bet the house is spick and span now...all that work for a couple of days when your visiters are there. Are you going for the good life...fresh eggs and veg from the garden. Give up your hectic life in the cutting edge of the city and turn your back garden into small holdingimage    Will you have time for running with all the time you will need to muck out the chicks...are you going to get some pigs nextimage  Your neighbours will think you've gone mad.

EM...I have seen the comments on the other thread...good luck with your running partner. Sounds like you have found a mate there.

Buzz...I don't feel any younger...I'm working hard now to maintain my times...often I ask myself is it worth all the effort just to keep aiming at PBs. When I put in a good time the question answers itself.    

• Options

Hi guys, what a quiet week for everyone.  Got the Sunday blues as back to work tomorrow!

2 new hens are doing fine together.  The younder one has grown already in a week and both are tame and will happily sit on my lap for a stroke. 

Done a hilly 10k today.  It includes 140metres of ascent and did it in 1hr 2 mins and 17secs.  8 mins better than I did last year and only 1 min over my 10k PB.  Looking for another 10k preferably flat as I am sure I can now get under that hour. 

Also got 2 new e moulds.  Not quite as good as my previous ones which are falling to bits.  One of them the tube was so hard I had to cut it off the elbow!  Get whisteling now and again.  oh well, this is the 3rd pair that I feel are not as good a fit as my old pair but given the mould is hard and virtually split I cannot really go back to using them.

Have a good week everybody. 

• Options

Morning all,

Becky...welcome back from your holiday...you sound a little deflated to be going back to the grindstone. You must be dreading all the e-mails and back log of work that will need to be ploughed through this monrning. Good luck...I hope there is not too much work to catch up on.

You seem to be having some success with your good life project...I think the idea is that the chickens will lay some eggs for you ...not become pets that you can stroke image.

I had the same problem the alst time I re-newed my mould...the audiologist filed like crazt but the thing still didn't fit properly. It went back to my old mould and I'm still using it now...all of this must ahve been a couple of years ago now so I'm due a new mould but I'm reluctant to go back for a re-fit. Must really make the effort and attend the clinic. Anyway my tubes is well past exchange date...unfrotunately I've not got any new ones ro replace it with...I will have to visit the clinic...I can't keep putting it off.

Did you manage to get your building work done and dusted? We had our stairs re-plastered on Saturday...the guy did an excellant job for us...just got to let it dry out now and then get it emulsionedimage

Despite your return to work todayimage... your holiday seemed to have helped with your runs...good times for you. You must have been nice and relaxed and focused.       

• Options

lol - building work will take months, its a garage, large porch and kitchen.  Huge area and Pete will do it entirely himself.

I must confess yesterday's 10k was the 1st time I run with a T-shirt printed on the back with "Deaf- I'm not ignoring you!!"

Got fed up nearly getting run over in races particularly (by the ambulance at the back!!!!) where roads are not closed to traffic.

Felt a bit self conscious with it but its better than being run over.   

• Options

Whoops...sorry, I imagined that the work would be completed during your holidayimage

Good luck to your OH...sounds like a big project to take on single-handedly...save you a fair bit on money though.image

I admire you for wearing the T-shirt...I don't do races but I don't know if I would be able to overcome my reluctance and wear one. I still find it very difficult to advertise the fact that i'm deaf...even after all these years. The other runners will admire you for this...it shows that disabled people want to be treated and respected for what they can do and not for what thay are unable to do.

Did you have much work on your desk on your return?  We are having a quiet day today...seems that the down turn in the economy is beginning to bite for us.

How much does it cost to feed your chicks?...will the eggs you get be cheaper or is it that you just want to be more self reliant and eat fresher organic food? You will have to get plenty of eggs to sustain your OH through the building project...I can remember the old 70s TV add...go to work on an eggimage He is certainly going to need plentyimage    

• Options

Have just signed up for another 10k at the end of July.  Given current good fitness I am determined to try and break that hour!

No idea how much it costs for thr chookies.  Whilst we do buy grain they also free rainge in the gardens and have some scaps.  apart from getting the eggs I suppose they are pets really. 

• Options

Hi Becky,

Is your next race local or will you have to travel a distance for the run. I'm sure that you will get below the hour for this run...don't burn yourself out before hand and you should be okay. Is the race on a flat or hilly course?

When I was a little'un our next door neighbours kept chickens...they mostly fed them on scraps. I remember the chap used to boil the peelings from the kitchen and add bran + some other stuff. Didn't smell very nice but the fowl seemed to thrive on the food. I used to dig  worms up in our garden and chuck them over the fence just to see the chickens fight for these worms...got my legs smacked a few times for doing thisimage Probably get away with it now...child abuse and suchimage

I had a good run yesterday evening...left home at about 1845. I had eaten earlier but I didn't push things and felt quite good. My running is back on track now...hopefully it will be remain good till I hit the next bad patch. I'm not going to push too hard in future...just build mileage gradually. I'm sure now that I increased my mileage too quickly and things just got on top of me when I felt that I should be doing more.

Work is a bit more busier  today for me...have you caught up yet...that is the worst part of holidays...coming back to the back-log. It soon diminishes the sense of well-being that you get from a restful break.   

• Options

surprising nothing dire happened work wise whilst I was away.  All under control! 

Next race has a small hill but is flatter than what I just done.  It's about 40min drive away so not too bad to get too.  It's a coastal run so hope the wind does not play up.

• Options

Your race sounds like a good day out...down side could be a strong breeze off the sea. I don't enjoy running if the wind is too strong. These are my least favorite weather conditions when I'm out...also if it is too hot and humid.

It is good that you are back to work and back in control...it is not too bad with my job because my boss covers my desk really well and doesn't leave the work not done...I suppose I'm lucky in this respect. When I worked for the MOD my work wasn't touched at all during my holidays...it took days to work through the back-log of e-mails and queries that arose .

I saw an article in the Mail yesterday about a guy that kept a 22 stone sheep for a pet...is this your next venture?image The sheep even sat and watched TV with the chap in the evenings and also went out in for drives in the car as a passenger. You will have to take your chicks on holiday with you...we take our dog with us. We're off to Lynton in Devon in September...dog comes too of course. 

Do your neighbours mind if your chickens stray in to their gardens...or perhaps they like the free eggs that may be leftimage    

• Options

Well, I now have my consultants appointment, in late August, which falls neatly slap bang in the middle of my holiday.

I'll need to rearrange it but on the plus side, I've sort of gotten used to the squealing now.

I can't really hear it when I am on the bike due to the wind and it's a blessed relief, but at 70 miles and five and a half hours on Sunday, my legs gave up...

I have soooo much more respect for people with real and proper hearing problems now. I feel like lamping the next person who says "Pardon" for a joke when it's clear I haven't understood. 

Stay placid dudes... 

• Options

Hi DB...sod's law says that appointments at this time of the year will fall in the holiday period. It shouldn't be a problem re-arranging now that you are on the consultants radar.

I certainly hope that the consultant can help you with this...over the years it's become part of my deafness that I've had to accept. Some days it is really loud, others it is not so noticeable.

You must have been moving along at a far speed for the wind to be drowning out the tinnitus. Were you in LE TOUR on the decent from the Col du Tourmalet...hardly surprising that your legs gave up image

It still rankles when I get the stupid "pardon" comment...it is difficult not to repond at times depending on my mood...sometimes I just laugh it off...other times I get annoyed. Life is too short to let the idiots get to you. One day these idiots may learn to respect how much effort we have to put in every day to live normal lives.

• Options

mmm..... the pardon comment.

Well a bloke I sit next to a work is a great guy but he cannot help himself with the pardon joke on a regular basis.  Ignored it for a while but got to the stage whereby I had a quiet word with him i.e. 1st time funny but by 5th time not!  Not happened since and our working relationship is still great.

Did a 3 miler last night, cor my legs were still heavy from Sunday though so it was more of a slog plus it was c24degress so a bit hot. 

• Options

Hi Becky,

Sometimes it works if you have a quiet word with colleagues...it depends on the individuals perception of you as a person. I find that female co-workers are often more tolerant than male. Must be the macho thing to take the mickey out of an easy target just to get a laugh in the office.

I've worked in factories where it is the done thing to joke about any person that is not the "norm". Over time I've grown a thick skin to the jibes but sometimes I used to retaliate...this lead to arguments so I tried to control my retorts and walk away. I work in an office now...mostly on my own so the problem doesn't arise now...thankfully.

Perhaps it was the heat last night that made you tired...maybe you were still a little dehydrated from the run on Sunday. At c24 it must have been very warm. Were you on the tready or out-doors?

Rest day for me yesterday...weekly shop night so I don't get home till later. My next run will be Thursday...probably 10K. This evening is a session on the healthrider in the loft...it will be hot and sticky up thereimage   

• Options
    last nights run was outdoors.  On my treadmill I have set up in front of it a 2ft pedestal fan.  That helps to keep cool when running on the spot.
  • Options

If I used a tready with a large fan at full blast...I'm very slight in build...I would be blown into the middle of next weekimage

Do you find that running on the tready makes your ankles ache...it kills mine so I never use one. Last time I did use one I could hardly walk for days after never mind run.

I went out at about 7PM on Monday and found that most of the heat had gone from the day so it was quite fresh and cool to run. Perhaps it was warmer yesterday than earlier in the week.

It is quite breezy here today...it would be okay for a run now...not too hot.

Having said that I'm slight in build...I'm still trying to lose a kilo...how do I resist the scones my OH made last night and be polite and not upset her after the effort she went toimage  

I suppose I will just have to grin and bear it and eat them all....luvverlyyyyyyyy...with strawberry jam tooimage

• Options

oh, jelous of the scones.  Which way do you pronounce it?

• Options

I admit to scones...s+cones. I'm a midlander and scons or whatever is alien to me. I suppose it depends on how your parents pronounced it.

Plenty of butter and jam...subject to what is in the pantry...could be strawberry or raspberry. Sometimes I have honey. They must made with sultans and also sesame seeds on the top..mmmmmmmmmmmm

Any type of jam will do....I just can't resist emimage

Had two last night after my evening mealimage

• Options
    Crikey, changed my appointment and got AN EARLIER ONE. Speechless...
  • Options

DB...that is it now...you are in the system and you are going to get a consultation whether you like it or not. You have finally become a statistic in the great NHS number crunching gameimage

If you have lost your voice...they may just cancel your appointmentimage    

• Options

Or lose your sight as well and go as the 3 wise monkeys. image

They did say it was fancy dress appointment didn't they. First one usually is.....imageimageimage

• Options
    LOL. if they can fix me I am just wondering what they actually say at Tri safety briefings, and if I'll ever find out for real. I half expect, "The twat in the yeller is gonna fall off his bike or squirt gel in his gear mechs and we'll all pi55 ourselves laughing when the wasps try to shag him"...
  • Options
    I must have missed that one. image
  • Options

DB...you could be a fly on the wall...the other guys will think you are not aware of their comments and you will be forwarned of any evil intentions. When you come in first the laugh will be on them..hahahahimage