Options

Deaf Runners

Comments

• Options
    Thats just it,  I was at the back lagging behind.  They were in front in the distance too far round a bend out of sight and I didn't see them turn off.  It was only later when they realised what had happened and doubledback from their turn off to try and catch me and they couldn't. 
  • Options

Cluck Cluck guys,

Becky...are you okay today. You seemed a little more relaxed on your last post.

I had an op. on my left ear several years ago which boosted my hearing....my right is well down now and I don't bother with an aid. Makes life a bit off balance with all the sound coming in from the left...got used to it over time. It is often quite funny when people approach from the wrong side and speak to me causing me to jump with a start...I chuckle to myself that they are sometimes look  more confused than meimage

Resistance work for me yesterday evening...10K today after work. I hope it will be cooler than my last run.

Did any of you watch the programme on ITV4 last night...a 55 year old guy doing the Royal Marine entrance training. he did it...got a honorary green beret. It was an extremely hard course, over 32 weeks, culminating in 4 tests that had to be completed within a timescale. I found it compelling viewing...must be my ageimage      

• Options

missed it i'm afraid.  I'm doing restance training tonight.  Been doing it to complement my ruinning for c2 months now.  When I started I could do a plank for only 10secs image  Typical female!  Now I'm up to 1 min.  slowly and surely increasing time, reps weights etc.  Have my own swiss ball and york weights and bench.

Back to running intervals tomorrow with 3 min hill reps Sunday.

• Options

Cluck cluck

I've probably mentioned before that I've got a healthrider machine in the loft...I use this for my resistance work. It boring but I feel it helps to maintain the upper body which contributes to overall core fitness. This type of exercise is much like running...if you do too much too quick you end up with muscle aches and pains. Your reps will increase with time.

It's not surprising your OH is working flat out to build new bits on the house...another couple of years and you will have a gym full of equipmentimage 

My run this evening will be a steady plod just to keep my mileage up for the week...looking forward to it now...it seems a little cooler today thankfully. Typical Brit...never satisfied with the weatherimage 

• Options

I was doing resistance training this evening, but I gave in.....

..this cider tastes lovely.image

• Options

Cluck cluck chucks

Nice one Muzzy...it's what your right arm is for...cheers.

5 minutes into to my run yesterday and I had an extremely sharp stabbing pain in my right foot, on the instep side of the ball of my foot. I've never experienced anything like this before. I continued with my run and the pain subsided but returned again after about 20 minutes and again after another 20 minutes. It seems okay this morning to walk on. Perhaps this is a waring that I need to consider buying some new shoes. Fingers crossed that it won't persist but I'm going to have to be careful that this doen't develope in to something more serious. 

All this aside I enjoyed my run...it was warm but not too bad. LSR tomorrow...have to see how things go.  

Have a good weekend...good running and stay safe.  

• Options

Not sure what your pain relates to but be careful. 

Talking about cider we are still wading through the 20 gallons hubby made last year image  yup you read right - 20 gallons!

Home made cider press with stainless steel sink, scaffolding poles and a 5 ton bottel jack, oh and lots of apples! 

• Options

Hi Becky..cluck cluck chicks,

I'm going to be very watchful of the foot problem...new shoes are already being planned...big thick platform ones...red and green I think...at my age I need all the cushioning I can getimageimage

20 gallons of zider...oh ar...that be a lot of apples...and a lot of hangovers tooimage

Your neighbours must be very understanding...seeing weird gadgets appear in your garden...they must think to themselves"oh dear what ever next"image 

• Options

hello folks, hope you're all having a nice weekend.

Watched DVD last night with subtitles switched on - wierd I'd not thought of it before, although often complaining to hubbie about background noise in movies these days, and whether he could change TV to play speach preferentially louder . . . . Sooo much easier! the wierd thing, is it seemed to make what I was hearing make more sense, with less effort!

So thanks guys, it was reading this thread made me think of itimage

• Options
    mellitus - glad you have finally found subbies,  I went for years saying I don't need them whereas in reality when I started using them I kicked myself for not using them sooner.  Now I don't bother watching anything without them, it's just too much effort.
  • Options

No subs, no watch is my simple rule.

As you say, it's too much effort.
    Subs fill in the gaps and make TV proggies and DVD's so much more enjoyable and easier to follow.

• Options

Morning all...cluck cluck chicks,

Good solid 8 miler for me on Saturday...my foot didn't cause any problems. I'm going to monitor the situation and respond accordingly...it was probaby just one of those twinges that we all get every so often.

mellitus...we have programmed our digi tele to seek out the subbies. Even my OH prefers watching with  the subbies on. There are still some channels that don't use the facility...hopefully this will improve with more digital coverage.

Had a good weekend all round. Got plenty of jobs done in the house. Just got to buy some emulsion now to finish the stairs/landing. Blackberry picking on Saturday afternoon...my neighbour gave me a huge carrier bag full of french/runner beans so I had a session preparing these for the freezer.

• Options
    Went for a 50 min run yesterday doing 6x 800m intervals.  It was a slog, still feel tired (despite a lie in Satuday and Sunday) and heart rate was higher than nirmal as well.  Obviously not 100%, just waiting to see now what dreded lugy I come down with!
  • Options

Hi Becky...

I felt the same a few weeks ago if you remember...well I think it must have been a virus. Over the last couple of weeks I've had eye infections, a dry cough keeping me awake at night and some really nasty looking stuff in my hankie when I blow my nose. It seems to be getting better now...my eyes are now okay and the cough is all but gone but my nose is still blocked when I wake in the morning. It could have been pollen...I do suffer with a bit of hayfever...but it's never been this bad before.

My HR was higher than normal...by 5/10 BPM but it is now back to something like before.

I hope things improve for you...rest is helpful...but then again if you are like me you want to get out for a run and suffer for it. Fingers crossed that it will just be a bit of a low for you and some extra rest will put you right.

I have to ask you this...it's not a hangover from drinking home made cider is it?imageimage     

• Options
    ha ha.  Nope, no cider.  Just doing too much I think.  Need to get my a*rse into gear to sort out sponsorship in time for great north.  Need to raise £300 which is an achievable amount.  A few year back I was sett ot raise over £100 if I absailed down Canary Wharf.  Really disappointed as it got called off due to severals days of bad weather.  Its still a lifetime goal of mine to do.
  • Options

Hi Becky

From your comments earlier I would say that you seem to be pushing yourself a little too hard. Are you due a holiday soon...perhaps a few days in the sun will aid your rest and recovery and allow you to get your motivation back.

I couldn't go off anywhere like Canary Wharf...good luck in your ambition to do this. Also I couldn't go pot holing...just the thought of going into caves gives me the shivers.

Good steady 10K plod for me yesterday...it was warmer than I realised when I kicked off but I enjoyed the run...not too many distractions on route...had one dog have a pop at my ankle but the owner had the thing on it's lead and just managed to yank the dog away before it reached me...it was very close indeedimage

Rest day for me today...running round Mr Sainsburys and Mr Walmart(ASDA)   

• Options

Jog 3min/walk 1 min testerday - so still making progress. Was a bit upset that on my second attempt at 5k I only improved by 2minutes - but  I suppose thats quite a big improvemnt for 1 week.

And i'm still waiting for the weight to start dropping off . . . . what do you guys eat after a run?

• Options

Hi mellitus...you are making progress...you are out there running...something you weren't doing awhile ago. I can't trim 2 minutes off my 10k PB at the moment so you are doing very nicely. It will all come together for you, then you will look back on this period and wonder why you felt that things weren't improving. Slow and steady is better for your long term running than trying to go too quickly now.

Your weight will adjust if you continue to eat your normal diet. If you are looking to lose weight then try to avoid eating extra to compensate for the hunger that you get from exercise.

I mostly eat an average diet. In all the years I've been running I've never resorted to special supplements or gels. First thing I do when I get back from a run is have a cup of tea.

• Options

And just a cup of tea? I don't get hungry, but I do feel tired - this was pretty bad a couple of weks ago, so on reading stuff thought maybe eating straight after runnning would help - and I think it has, but then maybe I'm just getting more used to running.

I would love to not have to eat after a run.

• Options

Hi mellitus.... yep a nice cuppa does it for me after a run. On Saturdays when I usually do a longer run I will wait till the evening before having a meal. Perhaps I may have a slice of toast or a digestive biscuit but it is after I've showered and sorted myself out before I eat these. I tell my OH how long I will be out and there is a cuppa waiting for me when I get back...not everytime...but more often than not.

I try not to eat before running...if I eat I try and leave a least a couple of hours before setting off.

The tiredness after your run will diminish when you get fitter and your body adjusts to the exercise.

You are trying to rush things...take your time...it will all fall into place. Listen to your body...when you feel things are not right...rest an extra day.        

• Options

Morning all,

I had a nasty experience again yesterday when I was cycling home from work. The same guy that chased me on Monday stopped on a footpath, grabbed hold of the handle bars on my bike, wedged his foot in the spokes and accused me of stealing his bike. Well he said actually that his bike had been stolen and that he wanted to check mine to see if it belonged to him. I told him in no uncertain terms to bugger off but he was stronger and held on to my bike. I refused to dismount and told him to call the police. He released my handle bar and took out his mobile which I assumed he was calling the police on. I gave him my home phone number and cycled off. When I got home I called the police and reported what had happened and asked if any other calls had been made regarding this...apparently not. I'm now waiting for the police to call at my house so that I can make a statement about this incident.  

I'm concerned that this guy could be up to no good. A lot of kids use this cycle path which runs round a local lake. At times it can be isolated and no people about. It all seems very strange to me that he should be there twice in the same week.

I just put this on here out of frustration really...I can't understand what this is all about.

• Options
    Sounds nasty . . . hope it all gets sorted out.
  • Options
    Well, did anything come out of this? I'm a little worried . . .
  • Options

Hi mellitus,

I had a phone call off a police sergeant from the local station on Saturday. He just talked through the episode and advised that should anything further happen to contact them immediately. Not much consolation really but I suppose that is an indication of how policing is done nowadays. The guys are that busy chasing chavs and boozers that they don't have time to pursue things of a less threatening criminal nature.

I rode past the spot again on Friday on my way home from work and I didn't see the guy. I will continue to use this route from work. I will respond if a situation arises in the future.

My real concern is what could have happened had it been a young kid or a girl on their own. It is very disturbing that this is all we can expect from the police unless something more serious happens.

Anyway...how are you doing. Is your running going to plan? Last week you were concerned about what you perceived to ba a lack of progress. Have things improved for you now? You will probably read in the threads that we all  suffer from lack of progress and motivation occassionally. This is what running is all about. In time you will look back at the start of your running and realise that it is all about ups and downs...phyisically and mentally. Some days you want to run...other days you just can't get the energy to get out of the door.   

• Options

Not been running so much this last week - ran 3min/walk 1 min on fri, instead of thursday, then went out for long run on sat morning, but felt tired and then my Ipod ran out of energy, so called it a day after 25 minutes . . . .  yesterday was my wedding anniversary, so didn't have a lot of time - so did weights instead of running.

I am going to try not eating after my run tomorrow and see how tired I get after . . . .

overall I am making progress - blood sugar readings much more stable (main reason for doing all this!) and I am able to run (well, jog) for longer (after all, started at 1 min run/1 1/2 min walk 5 weeks ago) . I was just getting a bit feed up with not losing weight, and with all the 15min/mile is walking pace comments - when it takes me 18 minutes - but I do think the hills/steps are affecting things - will have to try doing a mile on a flat bit at some point!

I am proud I even got out the door on saturday, mind!

• Options

Mellitus - I think what you are doing is great we all have to start somewhere.  I can remember when I started I got a heart rate monitor and just doing 13/14min miles meant my heart rate crept up to 85%.  It didn't take much, now to get up to 85% I have to run 10min miles.  The improvement has not been overnight but its a case of perseverance.  I think it took about 18months.

Once you feel better about yourself, your weight, drops off,  benefits you realise on your healthwith the imume system improving etc keep you going.  Do not worry what spped anyone else is doing, just compare against your own and you will see progress. 

Remember, the fact you are getting out of the door is far better than the majority of the population.

Lost one of my new chooks last week.  Not sure what happened whether is was a bird of prey like a sparrowhawk or one of the local cats but it disappeared.  It was only 14 weeks old.  Needless to say I was bit upset and spent many hours searching for it just in case.   

Tough training schedule this week.  4 runs including a 14 miler on Sunday for a LSR.  That will take me just over 2 1/2 hours.

• Options

Morning guys,

mellitus...Becky summed things up...you are doing great. You have a lot to cope with...when you get your diet adjusted to your running and get your blood sugar how you need it to be then you will really start to enjoy the benefits of running. Take your time...we are not all natural runners...most of us have to work at things. Don't give any thought to times or distance yet. Just build long slow miles at walk/run and it will all fall into place. You are out there which is the most important thing at the moment. You should be proud that you go out...many would have given up now and gone back to slouching in front of the box.

Becky...sorry for your lost chuck. We have a hawk in our area that swoops down and takes pidgeons in the garden and we live in a very urban area. Cats kill just for malice so you will need to be more aware of this too.

Looks like a busy week for you on the road...plenty of miles this week by the look of it.

I did a nice steady 10K last evening. Made the mistake of having a curry and nan bread a couple of hours before I set off. A bit of a burpy run I'm afraid...but it was cool and I enjoyed it.   

• Options

Myself and another person from my running club (women's running network) are doing the GNR for the RNIB (I know  i did say RNIB and RNID!!!!)  Anyway have accommodation booked and looking how to get there from Kent.  Well trains from KX to Newcastle are plenty but are £99 return each and no reserved seats are left.  Plus being a sunday return you run the risk of engineerings works etc.  Decided even with diesal prices at the moment it still wouldn't cost more than £200 so it looks like I am driving. image 

It sa long way from Kent!  Just hope my legs don't seize up after the race when we return Sunday afternoon/evening.  can't stay over Sunday night unfortunately as the other girl needs to get to work on the Monday.  I'm looking forward to the race its just all the hassle around it thats getting me down.

• Options

Hi Becky...that is going to be an expensive run for you no matter which mode of transport you use. Unfortunately this is going to be the thing now...travel will just get more expensive. Eventually it will become prohibitive even just to  consider driving any distance for pleasure days out etc. 

Is there not an option for your hubby to drive?

Whichever way you get there you will have a great day out. Wear your Deaf runners vest and I will watch out for you on the box and cheer you on.image  

• Options

oh dear, sorry about the chook (hello to all the others though!) and good luck at the race . . .however you get there!

Trying to find a race to enter at the mo - don't seem to be many 5K's in my area, and what one's there are, the last person to finish comes in at 40 minutes or there abouts - I don't fancy being 10 minutes slower than everyone elseimage. Think that having a proper time would be nice though, and give me something to measure myself against as hopefully I've got at least a decade or so for improving before I begin to slow down . . . .

My heart goes up to 170 when i run - which is 90% of my maximum (or there abouts). When I started, it went to 180 - so there is improvement - it also recovers quicker, and weights now make it go up to 140ish, where previously it was 150 - so definate improvement.