Options

No iPods or music players in road races

Comments

• Options

I'd do a marathon (not) but its a bit too far and gets a bit boring in places like London -can i take the bus when it gets a bit tiring (and i want to get quicker) and just hop off at the imagefinish?

• Options

Petr Cech will be wanting one next for those dull moments during the Champs League final ....image

• Options
    Cougie - do you have the radio on in the car when driving?
  • Options
    Thats completely different tho. No road i drive on has overtaking on both sides of me - and i have three mirrors in the car - neat eh ? Plus traffic is a lot calmer than people running races. And i am not a boy racer so i can hear sirens over my radio. Last time i looked - races were just that - races - you agree to abide by their rules - they take the rap if something at their event goes wrong. If you want to run with music - thats fine - just dont do it in races ?
  • Options
    cougie wrote (see)
    I wear it when i train alone sometimes. Theres no link for me between having music and running better. If you're racing for a time then I would definitely go without. Then theres nothing to go wrong - no earphones to annoy you, no volume to be fiddled with - no tracks to swap. Just focus on the race and not Barbie Girl or whatever...

Isn't it more dangerous wearing one running alone on a training run, as there are no signs telling car drivers there is a runner on the road?

As for "just focus on the race" I will never win a race so running with an Ipod just make the whole experience of running a race betterimage I have no need to chat to other runners while racing, if I could hold a conversation in a race I wouldn't be racing.

• Options

Cougie - I can't get past the fact that you might have "Barbie Girl" on your IPOD.....imageimage

• Options
    Damn. Found out.

I also seem to have a stray song from High School Musical 2 on it as well. That puts me off my stride.
  • Options

I still can't get my head around WHY anyone would WANT to wear an mp3 player in a race.

Back in my volleybal days my coach would have kicked me out the sports complex and fined me if I would dare to wear headphones when spectating from the bench while injured, nevermind sitting on the bench as a substitude.

It's a race, it's a competitive environment by definition. You can do your other hobbies (like listening to music) at another time.

• Options
    did a race on sunday  - entry form said I enter at my own risk so I duly signed and sent off my money - when my number turned up it came with a set of rules one of which was no earpieces for music or phones. Not sure how organisers can claim you are running at your own risk and then lay down more rules. However I ran without my ipod but then proceeded to see others running with theirs and then to top it all saw one of the marshalls wearing his ipod!!!
  • Options
    People watch Telly while ironing, Surgeons listen to music whilst cutting people up, people have radios on at work, folk listen to CD's in the car. If people want to run and listen to music let them - its not our place to tell them not to.

As I said earlier I dont use a pod whilst running in a race, but if I wanted to one day I want to be able to make that choice!

As Paulas mate says, we sign our rights away every time we enter a race!
  • Options
    And before I get lynched, there is a huge difference between Paula going out there to win a race and some 4.30 hour marathoner who's out there to enjoy him / herself.
  • Options
    well said PM and HTA
  • Options
    And ipods are banned in bike races and triathlons. So where does that leave us ?

• Options
    So bored you have to come up with many innovative ways to spend loads of money image
  • Options
    I dont enter bike races or Triathlons image
  • Options
    Shall we discuss something less contentious instead ?

Religion ? image
  • Options

I think this is an example of the nanny state again. Last time I looked this was a free country. I think it is all about being considerate. I ran Sunderland Pier2Pier on Sunday and there were one or 2 inconsiderate runners without ipods. Most people when running go into the "zone" anyway so aren't really totally there. If anything, I think I am even more aware with an ipod on - when I move out/ in it is like driving a car - check behind both ways, check behin one side again, ease out slowly, check behind both ways and drop back in...image

Are we going to ban Garmins because people check them and don't look where they are going?

• Options

cougie_ are you saying you wanrt to wear your ipod when you swim??!!! and sure;y there must be a" religion in running" thread somewhere

if we ban Garmins should we also ban pacemakers - if the elites can use them to help with times surely us mere motals can use an ipod!

If we are banning things could we ban people spitting  - nothing worse than trying to pass somebody who spits every few seconds, especially as they never check behind first

• Options
    they have underwater mp3s in Australia for swimmers...now that IS ridiculous
  • Options

My photos are through from marathonfoto from my last race and show me fiddling like a loony with my Garmin on the finish line....image

Beofre we discuss religion, let's just take a moment to open in prayer..... image

Dear Lord, please sort out Cougie's IPOD music....

He appears to have HSM2 on it and it's simply not cool for a good looking bloke to have Zac Efron wailing down his ears....image

Amen.

• Options
    PMSL Liverbird !
  • Options
    Pfffft.
    Its sooo not Zac Efron. Its the rich girl. Whats her name ? Singing that silly volcano song.

8gb of stuff - and that one seems to pop up on each run ! What are the odds ?

• Options

It has to be in the playlist for it to keep coming up Cougie....image

*whispers* It's on mine too, but I have two girls, 7 and 9 and they're obsessed. That's my excuse!

The rich one is Sharpay Evans, played by Ashley Tidsdale. I am waiting for a photo of her to appear on Youtube with her boobs out and then she'll also be chucked out of HSM3 along with Vanessa Hugdens....

Whereas you boys are no doubt just waiting for the Youtube vid?image

• Options
    Er just let me know when you find that photo eh ?

Hang on - Vanessa - has she been rude too ? Nooo waaaay !
  • Options

She has.....image

She has been sacked for inadvertently getting the puppies out. Someone papped her and though it wasn't her fault, she was still shown the door.....image

Now how do I know that you're all googling "Vanessa Hugdens topless"? image

• Options

Maybe the nanny state is an antidote to the me me me individualist society where everybody just wants to do what the hell they want regardless of any rules, regulations or consequences

• Options

"People watch Telly while ironing, Surgeons listen to music whilst cutting people up, people have radios on at work, folk listen to CD's in the car. If people want to run and listen to music let them - its not our place to tell them not to."

This is  a fallacious point as has been mentioned a number of times.

If you think that having a radio on at work (etc) is equivalent to running, or doing anything else, with headphones on, you've made an error.

Think of it like this. Imagine driving up the motorway with the radio on, listening to a music station. No problem -- I do it most days and feel as safe as you can feel in a car.

Now, imagine driving up the motorway with headphones on, listening to the same music. ........

Do you see the difference? Why do you think it's illegal?

Let's put it another way. If you got into a taxi, and the driver had headphones on, would you want to continue?

Just finally, here's a paragraph from a friend's race report (talking about yesterday's Manchester 10K):

"....about 500 yards in, a particularly bulky bloke dodged past us and cut straight in front of [husband] who was mid stride, felled him completely even though he is weighing in at a 14 stone odd at the moment. He did an impressive roll on to the pavement at the feet of shocked spectators. After scooping him up and checking for injuries - he had a cut thumb, grazed knees and an ankle bashed by the curb – I handed him a tissue to mop up the gore and he decided he was OK to continue. Needless to say the git who had knocked him over didn’t stop, in fact he probably didn’t hear the abuse shouted at him as he had headphones on......."

It happens in every big, crowded race I take part in. I just don't understand those in denial.

MP3 players are great for training, but selfish in races.

• Options
    the incident report doesn't prove anything - that could have happened even if the guy hadn't been wearing headphones.  I've seen plenty of bumping and barging by people not wearing headphones.
  • Options
    The One and Only XFR Bear wrote (see)
    the incident report doesn't prove anything - that could have happened even if the guy hadn't been wearing headphones.  I've seen plenty of bumping and barging by people not wearing headphones.
    I agree XFR - there were plenty of inconsioderate racers at Sunderland Pier2Pier on Sunday without headphones. If anything I think wearing headphones you end up being more than average considerate because you HAVE to check. and double check before you manoeuvre.
  • Options

Another fallacious argument, along the lines of:

"People have car crashes when they are totally sober, so we may as well allow them to drive when they are drunk."

You're in denial. Admit it.

And how about my question -- would you get in a taxi if the driver was listening to music through headphones...?