Options

No iPods or music players in road races

Comments

• Options

An interesting question is probably why running attracts so many Ipod wearers - I think it is the nature of the sport

Mass participation

Runners of mixed ability

Long distances and long times

Not wet

Not generally (or intentionally) anyway a contact sport 

the only other sports I can think of where partcipants might consider Ipods are skiing and snowboarding - but I'm sure there are others 

To some degree running is a lonely sport as you are generally in a team of one, and for most of us who wins has very little relevance because we never will, and for us its all about the distance and the time.

You could look at an Ipod as a way of whiling away the hours in a long race,

For some people it is undoubtedly a training aid and a security blanket. 

I don't think they should be banned, but i guess there'll always be people who want to design any element of chance, danger or contingency out of sport - probably the same people who think conkers are dangerous image

• Options

Gosh, this is getting heated!

All I can say is I went for a five mile run last night on the streets near where I live. I had my IPOD on.

(Keane - Hopes and Fears, Cougie)! image

I quite like listening to music when I feel safe but in more isolated areas like the trans pennine trail, it makes me feel vulnerable, as I wouldn't hear people creeping up on me. I also find it a bit difficult to hear the cars at junctions. I didn't have it on loud at all, before you tell me to turn it down!

These days cars are much quieter. We test drove a car at the weekend that purred like a kitten. I would never have heard that with my headphones in!

I'm tempted to leave the IPOD for the dreadmill, but only because the music they have on in David Lloyd in invariably rubbish!

The most irritating thing that happened to me last night was a car stopping me to ask for directions to a pub! image I was just approaching the end of my run and although I did that girl thing of saying "oh, it's alright" when he stopped me, I was bloody furious!!!!

Ask someone walking their dog! image

• Options

RC - I'm merely pointing out that one anecdote doesn't prove anything. To assume I'm in denial simply because I don't share your point of view is pure arrogance, but from past experience that's the sort of pomposity I'd expect from you, rather than sticking to solid argument.

It's nothing like the argument about drunk drivers. There's plenty of evidence to show that drunk drivers have slower reactions, for instance, and are involved in a higher percentage of accidents. Can you provide anything similar about people wearing iPods?

• Options
    fat facefat face ✭✭✭
    Pie all ipod wearers regardless of whether they are running or not.
  • Options
    especially if they're dressed as clowns image
  • Options
    Oh definitely pie clown wearing pod wearers !!

• Options
    I was doing a 20 miler at the weekend. Started off with the new Madonna album, then into the Archers Omnibus - honestly its good..
    Only thing is that my phone didnt have enough charge for that and its GPS function - so it died half way round, so I had to go without. It was fine - just a bit annoying that I was left hanging mid-story in the Archers !

XFR - if runners have their music so loud that they cant hear the marshalls telling them which way to run, or ambulances trying to get through - then clearly its a silly thing to do.

Maybe i could just cut off one earphone and sell them as safety earphones ?

I do like Keane - but the temptation to 'sing' along may be a bit too much.
  • Options

You could start a whole new business with your "safety earphone" idea.... get yourself on Dragon's Den!

I know what you mean about not singing along. image Guilty as charged!

I quite like listening to M People when I run. Not necessarily my first choice for a dinner party, but I really like the line "what have you done today to make you feel proud?"

Well, this plod for a start.... image

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

"If anything I think wearing headphones you end up being more than average considerate because you HAVE to check. and double check before you manoeuvre."

Are you seriously arguing that iPodders are less likely to lurch into your way or obstruct you while unaware of your presence? Because from my observations at countless races, that is the opposite of what actually happens.

• Options
    fat facefat face ✭✭✭

I ran a race last night and didn't see a single ipod wearer.

• Options
    And i forgot to google for those pics ! Dammit. image

Was that the 5 miler FF - was it good ?
  • Options
    Can't imagine you listening to The Archers, Cougie....image
  • Options
    I must admit that I have been drawn to Archers on more than one occassion image
  • Options
    C'mon Liverbird - you know you wanna try it....
  • Options

I was about to say "I'll try anything once" but you boys get the wrong idea when I come out with phrases like that......image

The Archers reminds me of my mum cleaning the kitchen with Vim when I was a little Liverbird...image

I'd be more likely to be drawn to the Archers that comes in a bottle, but that's a whole other story....image

• Options
    Muttley wrote (see)

Are you seriously arguing that iPodders are less likely to lurch into your way or obstruct you while unaware of your presence? Because from my observations at countless races, that is the opposite of what actually happens.

Yes I am arguing that Muttley. People do that with or without ipods on. I have seen that at countless races.
  • Options
    RunningCommentary wrote (see)
    And how about my question -- would you get in a taxi if the driver was listening to music through headphones...?

I certainly wouldn't. But then a taxi is mechanical, gies along a lot faster than any runner I know and can kill if it hits someone.

What do you call such an analogy? A fallacious argument? Are you in denial RC?

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

"People do that with or without ipods on."

That some people behave badly without iPods is no argument in favour of them.

The root of the problem is quite hilarious if you think about it. The iPod brigade aren't aware that their senses are impaired precisely because ... erm ... their senses are impaired. You must have been to different countless races from me ... oh hang on, with your iPod you wouldn't have been aware anyway image

• Options

"And how about my question -- would you get in a taxi if the driver was listening to music through headphones...?"

actually a taxi driver wearing earphones wouldn't bother me.

I've been in cab where the driver was deaf and managed ok.

Plus, not entirely sure how earphones are any worse than the radio/stereo on loudly?

• Options
    Muttley wrote (see)
    That some people behave badly without iPods is no argument in favour of them.

Agreed. Nor an argument against them that some people do, which is an argument you have been using.

Muttley wrote (see)

The root of the problem is quite hilarious if you think about it. The iPod brigade aren't aware that their senses are impaired precisely because ... erm ... their senses are impaired.

ipod brigade? what is this brigade? your argumnet has ZERO foundation and makes no sense. All that comes across is that you don't wear an ipod in a race, so you don't like them in races, so you think they should be banned...ergo...nanny state/ imposing your views. I don't argue that wearing an ipod in a race is always safe but no running is safe and when I used to run without an ipod I zoned out anyway. Ipod makes no difference.

Muttley wrote (see)
    You must have been to different countless races from me ... oh hang on, with your iPod you wouldn't have been aware anyway image

image Que? I am well aware at races and run respectable times. Thankfully I probably have been to different races to you. The ones I have been to have had a minorty of inconsiderate runners some with ipods, some without, some serious looking runners, some not. 

My suggestion is:-

1. you accept that some people might want to wear an ipod in a race;

2. you leave them be and take a wide berth if you prefer;

Sorted. Everyone happy no-one's civil liberty attacked and people can run comfortably.

Better still, why not have 2 starts to each race one for those not prepared to run in the conventional manner (i.e. no ipods, no spitting, no arm waving, no fat people, no gay people - whatever YOU find objectionable) and those that are conventional.

SORTED.

• Options
    I would ignore the car comparison - when i drive, cars only overtake on one side and i can see them in my mirrors anyway. Not the same as racing.
    Its still stupid to drive round with the music blasting out and i think you can be done for it now - and quite right too !
  • Options

What are you counted as if you wear an ipod in one ear only, so you can listen to music to keep you going, but can still hear what's going around you? image

• Options

I recently ran in the Great Baddows Run and was really pleased to see that the organisers had banned IPods and MP3 players during the race. I wish more Race organisers would do this as they are a real danger when racing.

I have no problem with people using then when they train but if you are in a race then they must think about other people.

I have had two incidents of runners wearing IPods and MP3 players during the race that have caused accidents.

1] Wear and runner did not hear the car coming along behind him and tried to over take a slower runner, the car had to swerve and stop suddenly this caused a number of runners to smash into each other one getting a very bad neck injury and had to pull out of the race.

2] A runner wearing IPods and MP3 player in a cross country event did not hear the marshal shouting at him that there was a horse behind him and when he did see it, he jumped the wrong way and the rider fell off and the horse bolted through the field casing a number of injuries.

Why is there such a need to wearing IPods and MP3 players during the race? When it’s pointed out to them you get the classic answer “well I only have it on low”

I talked to the race organisers of the Great Baddows Run and they said that because of incidents in the previous year’s events and advice from the Police and BARR they had made the decision to ban wearing of IPods and MP3 players during the race.

I was surprised to hear that there is no rule by UK Athletics banning the wearing IPods and MP3 players during the races any way well done to the race organisers of the Great Baddows Run a step in the right direction

Peter Wood

• Options

*looks for similar thread to cut and paste his little spiel from*

Only been on the forums a short time and already seen this bad boy a few times!

I'm going to leave well alone.

*Puts on Ipod and leaves*

• Options
    Won't the leaves fall off?
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

SVT - *lol*

I don't normally bother with these arguments but I do feel more strongly about the issue since my last race.  This was a 3 lap 10k on narrow paths.  Towards the end I was lapping a few runners and politely (as politely as one can when shouting and slightly out of breath) announcing my presence to runners ahead of me.  Without exception, the only problems I encountered were from iPod wearers not hearing me coming and forcing me to jump out into the road.  Sorry, but the smooth and safe running of a race - where the organisers set the rules - has to trump anyone's "right" to use an iPod.

• Options
    SoVeryTired wrote (see)
    Won't the leaves fall off?

Nice, good shot image

• Options

Fantastic news if they really have been banned in races.

I love wearng mine when training, or in the gym, but in races, no. People zone out and lose awareness of what; going on around them. If it affected only them, fine, but it doesn't. I've lost count of the number of times the ipod zombies have meandered across me, or been unaware of me coming up behind them. Really annoys me, I've also seen several collisions and injuries caused by them.

Can't stand all the wibbling of "I can't run without me music". What did people do before these things were invented? You'd think the authorities were banning drinking fluids during a race the way some people are reacting.

• Options

It’s great to see that other people think the same as me. Does it need someone to be seriously injured for the message to get home to Race Organisers and UKA Ban IPods and MP3 players in races?

• Options
    40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭

There was a proposal last year for UKA to introduce a rule banning ipods, etc in races but it wasn't adopted.  Can always be proposed again.

Individual races can ban them through the addition of local rules.