Options

No iPods or music players in road races

123457»

Comments

• Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Hi, Goldie, I hope to be there to support. If I see anyone wearing an i-pod/Mp3 I'll rap em on the ankles with my crutches image.
  • Options
    My Nike+ was a pile of pants really. Yeah it doesnt lose signal, but its just a glorified Pedometer, and not really that accurate.
  • Options
    goldbeetlegoldbeetle ✭✭✭
    aaaah Mrs S what have you done to yourself?
  • Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Had an op on my foot last week, Goldie - not able to walk properly or drive for at least 6 weeks. Am hoping that I might be able to get back to a bit of running at some stage but my mara days are over.
  • Options
    goldbeetlegoldbeetle ✭✭✭
    Blimey get well soon come and find me sundayimage
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

The argument that iPods are disliked on grounds of snobbery is unhelpful, apart from being plain wrong. Col Blimp may think that; I suggest nobody else does.

It's unhelpful because it allows the pro-iPod lobby to latch on to the pretence that they're looked down upon by real runners (whatever real runners are).

A lot of people think that iPods are a safety hazard in races. Repeat: safety. A lot of people also think it's rude and unsocial to run in a bubble. You may agree or disagree, but it's all about observation and not snobbery or elitism (two ills that I have never seen in running or at races, by the way).

• Options

The good thing about the 10k and the round the lakes on boxing day is that you can always accidently knock an IPODDER in the lake...if they move erratically infront of you.

That'll learn 'em image

OK OK calm down..just joking..

• Options
    goldbeetlegoldbeetle ✭✭✭

Ask any Race Director about ipods and Mp3

(portable listening devices I love a bit of cover all terminology)

and they raise their eyes to the heavens frown and take a sharp intake of breath, pre-MOT mechanic style

We get so many complaints and questions about this, basically Im not worried if its unsocialable or rude, like Muttley said its only about safety

• Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    You know, I'm sooooooo glad that Mr S is not RD for the Round the Lakes this year image
  • Options
    goldbeetlegoldbeetle ✭✭✭
    Stress levels have now peaked LOL
  • Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Where are you likely to be on Sunday?
  • Options
    goldbeetlegoldbeetle ✭✭✭

All over the place St.Johns with a bag of ice on my head

probably around the finish area

• Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    LOL, Goldie, I think the bag of ice will be a distinct possibility. We'll prolly be down if it's fine - don't want to risk the bandage on my trotter in the rain!
  • Options
    goldbeetlegoldbeetle ✭✭✭
    hmm rain would be interesting if it belts down
  • Options

I like this Ipod debate. You can split the anti's into those who really think there is a safety issue in races and those who think it's wrong but can't really tell us why, except that its not for them so it shouldn't be allowed for anyone. And of course, some of those in the latter group often use the former argument as a case against ipod usage in races. It's best to ignore those people as their logic is based on the "cos it is" type of answer to a "why" question. It's also best to avoid any views based on some kind of runner's snobbery.

I train with my ipod sometimes and sometimes without. I think I'm more in tune with my body without music but sometimes when you're putting in the training miles its good to have some tunes going. Some of my best training runs have been when a good track kicks in, I'm running a great route and the sun is shining. If you've never experienced this, then I think you've missed out.

I don't use an ipod in races. I did in the past but found I run better without it, and I get to enjoy the odd chat with other runners and appreciate the crowd support. It's not a safety choice for me, its about the quality of the race. But I don't see a major issue with others using them if they want to. There's no doubt an ipod make you less aware of the surrounding environment. Of course it does, it limits one of your senses - so you have to compensate for this with your eyes. This means being more alert, looking over your shoulder when moving across the race route (which you should do anyway), watching the marshals and most importantly, stepping out of the way of others to change tracks etc (which you should do anyway for all disruptive things out of courtesy).

Do I think its a major safety risk to fellow runners in races? No. It's down to the individuals and how they behave with or without ipods that create the safety issues. It's much more dangerous out on those training runs if you're crossing roads etc - then you have to really be more careful.

• Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Whatever one's personal opinion about ipods, if the race rules state they are not allowed (often due to risk assessment/insurance isues) that should be the end of the matter.
  • Options

I agree with that. But its down to the race organiser to publicise and enforce the rule.

I ran down in the New Forest earlier this year and the race director told everyone who used an ipod/mp3 would be disqualified, and they were. I also ran the IoW marathon on a stinking hot day last year when the race director said anyone taking off their shirt/vest would be disqualified as per the rules. i didn't know that rule either and not sure of the logic but I wish that one was enforced on some summer runs.image

• Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Well put Grayster,
    I'm with you in respect of training (run both with and without) , but never race with it.
    I'd agree with the question as to whether its a "major" safety issue, but I suspect race organisers can't rely on runners to individually be accountable which is why they sometimes throw in the 'no ipod' rule. 
    Maybe they should ban gel packet droppers or DQ runners that drop cups on the road (rather than the roadside) but this is less easy to police.
    What makes me chuckle in the whole pro-ipod debate is the line that "it does not diminish my senses because I have it on low" or "I'm more aware of my surroundings as my other senses are heightened". AS I said earlier, I sometimes run in training with one and can certainly attest that they diminish my overall awareness.
  • Options
    Gel packet droppers should be shot - not just Dq'd.