Options

Who Fancies Comrades 2010?

Comments

• Options
    Keith L,

You can buy a bus ticket to take you from Durban to Pietermaritzburg at the Expo - costs around £5. Loads of runners use it - leaves at 0230 or 0300 am if I remember correctly. Don't worry about the early start as you won't be able to sleep much before the race anyway - I always struggle as I get paranoid that I'll over sleep and miss the start - so end up waking up every 30 minutes or so in a panic... The buses leave from the back of one of the main hotels on the beachfront - you can't miss it as there will be loads of runners (and buses there). It's quite well organised - they fill up the buses in sequence and as soon as one gets full it leaves and the next one starts being loaded up. A little hiccup this year as there was a road closure and the buses had to do a 20 point turn and find an alternative route out of Durban - still got to the start with plenty of time to spare though...

The expo is usually at the exhibition centre literally across the road from the Hilton.

The free coach tour of the route - which I highly recommend - on Friday morning leaves from outside the Hilton.
  • Options

Trinity / Keith

If you are in Dubai airport fro 12 hours or so its worth knowing that there is a hotel inside the terminal where you can get your head down.

• Options

Just signed up to Comrades 2010...

Yay! eek? ouch!

Not sure which response is most suitable here.

• Options

Looking at the Comrades site today it looks like they have got the 5000 entries for novices already!!

Glad I got in there early!

• Options

Thanks DD... I think it'll depend on funds though, for the sake of a few hours in the airport lounge

According to the site the 5000 places sold out in just 27 hours!

• Options
    I  missed it!    Just got home to find it's sold out. image
  • Options

image Doh!! Sorry to hear that jb

Next time... but it'll be an up run in 2011 image

• Options

I was away at the weekend and couldn't get to a pc, I thought it would sell ouut quickly but not that quickly.  Now what do I do with my year?  Start saving for the next one I spose.  I am broke at the moment so it's probably for the best.

Well I will hang around here and pick up some training tips.  image

• Options

I was in hospital having spinal surgery... got out Saturday afternoon... just in time image

Like you, I thought it would sell out quite soon but not that quick!
    I was up at 8am Sunday, straight into Comrades site...glad I did that now!

• Options

How is your back now and the knees? 

I have a London place that I was going to use as a training run, it's no use as a qualifier so I don't know what to do with it now, I guess I'll run it just out of curiosity.

• Options

Never had a problem with my knees (thankfully) it's all been neuro. The spinal surgery I had on C3/4 in 2007 worked, last week they worked on C4/5 and C5/6. The neuro problem in my leg is incurable but my consultant has agreed to manage it with Cortisone to get me through my goal races. He won't give me any more than 3 injections though. I've had 1 so I've got 2 left.

Then it's up to how long my body lets me run.

But it's ok, I've pretty much come to terms with everything now, especially as I am getting to do the races/events that I've dreamed of.

There are a lot of peeps worse off, and at least I should always be able to run shorter distances... you know... the 'warm up' distances like 10k's etc image

• Options
    Have you started your Comrades training yet?
  • Options

erm... you could say that image
    I'm training for the Devon 100 which is on April 24th

I know it's 5 weeks before Comrades but I'm pretty sure I can recover in that time so long as I'm sensible, get loads of protein as well as good nutrition and massage.

Anyway, I'm taking a couple weeks off post surgery at the moment... my surgeon has said that I can start back that soon and he knows what type of runner I am image

Right now I'm marathon fit, so I'm just building on that

• Options
    Excuse me while I pick my  jaw up off the floor..........I assume this is not a standard training plan then? image
  • Options

LOL!

I have actually found a 100 mile training schedule on the net... and have been following it to the letter image

• Options

Trinity - a 100 miler 6 weeks before - wow thats unorthodox to say the least.

And I thought running the VLM six weeks before was a bit of a rsik

• Options

Hi folks

I signed up yesterday and am soooooo glad I did! Was wondering about travel-am booking same flight as Trinity but not sure where to stay? May sign up with the 2:09 events package just for safety!

I'm very excited, but a bad achilles is putting paid to running at the moment!

Anyone from the midlands?

Rachel

• Options

Keith... I know it's a 100 is a whole different ball game in terms of recovery but this year I ran FLM (3.37) 6 days after racing Boston marathon (3.23)

That was less than 1 week

There's 5 whole weeks between the 100 and Comrades

Rachy....I've got 5 nights at Durban Hilton for £490 through Booking.com, it might be worth trying that site, they are pretty good with their deals

• Options

JB and any other novice Comrades runner who missed out

If you missed out on an entry, please let me know, as I know someone who is officially connected with Comrades who is trying to work out how to get novices an entry, but he needs some idea of the numbers of people who missed out and want to run in 2010.
  • Options

Trinity: Best of luck with a 100 miler 6 weeks before Comrades, I'm sure you will recover well enough to finish Comrades, somehow doubt that you will be in a condition to do your very best though. However if your not bothered about that and just want to complete and enjoy Comrades then no problem.  Given your marathon times you will be running somewhere around my place in the pack. I ran 8-40 last year at Comrades, but was show boating for the last 5K. Once I realised I was guarenteed a Bill Rowan I decided to enjoy myself!

Good luck to all the Novices, be careful running Comrades can become addictive, ask Slow Duck!

• Options

Thanks for the vote of confidence Dave, but I am tougher than you think image

• Options

Have any previous Comrades runners had experience of combining the run with a holiday around South Africa? Any recommended schedules? I'm a novice, entered for next year, and it seems crazy to haul myself over there and back without seeing some of the place, so was thinking of taking around 7-10 days or so holiday afterwards.

• Options
    Sure loads to see in South Africa, the Drakensburg mountains are only a hour away from Durban, stunning but a bit chilly in May / June. Kruger national park is probably a 10 hour drive from Durban nut the route passes through some stunning country side. Or fly down to the Cape.. so many choices. (I'm a bit biased I was born in Cape Town!)
  • Options

Thanks Dave. I'm currently clueless on SA attractions. Plenty of time to investigate! image I've heard of the Drakensburg Mountains though. Road trip sounds like my cup of tea.

• Options

Stephen,

Good time to go to a game park after the race - as it is winter the vegetation is not so lush so you get to see "through" the bushes a lot better...  Would recommend Hluhlulwe and Umflozi game park - a few hours drive from Durban (northwards) and a national park so it is much more reasonably priced than a private game park...  We also drove from Durban to Cape Town one year - quite a long journey - took 4 days - I would recommened you just fly to somewhere like Port Elizabeth and do a shorter version taking in just the Garden Route from there to Cape Town...

• Options
    Wish I could holiday while I was down there as agree it does seem sensible - but holiday time, family and work will make that impossible. Using up all my goodwill in going for the run image
  • Options

Rachy- I live in the midlands but a big area, Lincs for me if thats any good

Trinity- Amazing on all levels

DD/SD- With a marathon Pb of 3.48 was thinking of going for bronze, what do you think?

Im plrobably being stupid but I have an e-mail confirming the payment although it has not been taken but cant find myself on confirn entry. ? Anyone else

• Options

Thanks Martin... needed that image

Re the confim entry thing, maybe it's because we still need to send them the qualifying time?

• Options
    Slow Duck you have mail.