Options

Sheffield social

Comments

• Options
    BM Becky wrote (see)

Thanks all image

I went spinning, with my posh spec insoles in, hills/resistance not so good, but speed work's ok.  Body balance seems to have helped (I avoided one legged poses!).  I think it's more nerve pain than fracture but who knows, they told me just cos x ray is clear doesn't mean there isn't a stress fracture as they can take 14/7 to show...

Lots of swimming and core work I think for the next week and will see how it goes....

Stu - Alpe D'Heuz, never been there before but it was cheapest deal!  I'm envious of you going to oz, have you been before?

Never been to Oz before, can't wait! Have you been, any tips? Going to try and cram as much into my 4 weeks there as possible!

Have been to Alpe D'Huez though, on day trips when we've been to Serre Chevalier. From what I can remember the skiing was great, there was a tunnel through the mountain at one point which opens out into a brilliant mogul field, be sure to hurtle out of the tunnel and fly straight down the field as everyone else ummms and aaahs at the top over whether they should go for it or not! image

When I hurt my foot recently (one x-ray said fractured toe, one didn't... I chose to believe the doc who said I'd not broken it!) I did a lot of gym work whilst not running for a few weeks and found I didn't lose much ground so I'm sure you'll be fine.

• Options
    Sheils-Sheils- ✭✭✭

morning all.

Aitch and Mozzy hope you're feeling better soon- not sure cheese and pickle was your best idea though Mozzy!

Bex- sorry to hear about your injury- 2-3 weeks'll soon pass, the first ones nearly gone already.

Cake- good on ya for quiting. Mr D quit about 4 years ago. He saved the money and bought a new golf club within 6 weeks- just think what you could buy with all that spare doshimage

Went for a chilly run last night- boy I felt it in my shoulders. Why do my shoulders hurt when i run?? They feel tight most of the time and crack  really loudly sometimes. My back was hurting a bit too but not too bad. I think it's down to my poor posture- I might have a word with a sports physio or my lovely next door neighbour who does sports massage and is training to be a physiotherapist.

We keep saying we'll do a therapy swap - she can sort my shoulders out and I'll do some reflexology for her -but haven't got round to it yet- there aren't enough hours in a day.

Our inter club cross country's start soon and I want to try and do better than my rubbish times last year.

has anyone done or going to do Tigger Tor? (bet you have Stu) Is it really hard? I'd like to give it a try but haven't done more than about 6 miles fell racing.

• Options
    Just in case all buses have stopped and half the roads out of town east bank etc.. are turning into big carparks. If anyone's about I wouldn't hang around today. Good news is it's snowing who whats to biuld a snowman?image
  • Options

Bing bong

Trams to halfway just been stopped.

• Options

Morning all!

Cake wrote (see)

Bing bong

Trams to halfway just been stopped.

Good job my hubby decided to work from home then...image

I'm at work because we only have one computer at home and I need to do loads of interview transcribing.  Might borrow a laptop from our store cupboard though and head homewards if it's looking like getting worse...

Grrr...this weather is not good for my weight loss, particularly as all the New Year's Resolutionaries have now hit the gym and it's dead busy.  image

But I don't want to chance a run outdoors given my biomechanics and injury history... image

• Options

I'm off today as the boys don't go back to school til the 11th - i can't even get them to out in the park for a snowball fight or sledging. i'm ashamed image.

The XC events could be interesting if there isn't a change in the weather. They will be hard though Sheils.

• Options
    25cm of snow today according to some reports. image
  • Options
    PJAZ wrote (see)

I'm off today as the boys don't go back to school til the 11th - i can't even get them to out in the park for a snowball fight or sledging. i'm ashamed image.

The XC events could be interesting if there isn't a change in the weather. They will be hard though Sheils.

No snowball fights, no sledging! What?! That just doesn't make sense to me! image

Cross country events are always tough and yep even more so in the snow... still good though!

Sheila D wrote (see)
    has anyone done or going to do Tigger Tor? (bet you have Stu) Is it really hard? I'd like to give it a try but haven't done more than about 6 miles fell racing.

Only really started fell racing last year Sheils and with it being so early in the year I missed Tigger Tor, looking forward to it though. You should definitely give it a go, you'll be fine!

• Options
    Managed to get the tram into work today but may be walking home later, that said it seems to have stopped snowing for now so will see.
  • Options

Trams are running again now, but First buses are cancelled so the trams will be busy - may be quicker walking.

• Options

Grrrrrr.  I'm at work image

Walking to work in crocs was much fun, slid everywhere, got lots of funny looks!  I did have sealskins socks on image  They are however comfy and haven't had much pain today image 

I sooo want to go skiing tonight!!! 

• Options
    bus news In case you want to know which ones you can throw snowballes at. image
  • Options
    Set off to drop off the nipper at child-minder this morning and then got as far as Meadowhead before deciding to turn back. Rang school and they said it wasn`t snowing there! Thankfully it did a bit later and so we`re shut as are my wife`s school. I did an hour`s running up Owler Bar direction which was good but I now know I need some different trainers. Any recommendations for an over-pronator?
  • Options

My view from the living room window today - if only my hips would cope with the slipping underfoot (may try tomorrow).

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs189.snc3/19639_1183636073214_1297603758_30456915_4212155_s.jpg

• Options
    Sheils - need some advice on vegan cooking for Mrs Didds sister - good cookbooks and where to get local organic veg from. Ta.
  • Options
    Hey team!

Drove to school got there at 7.30 and the roads were all clear then. Got the kids in and registered them then we got the message at 9.15am that school was closing!! Good job as kids were nigh as kites because of the snow!! We all left at the right time as the roads were getting quite bad! I managed most of the journey okay but there was one hill I just couldn't get up! Wheels were spinning and I was skidding and sliding about. This little old man came and pushed me up the hill and round the corner! Bless him! I was home by 11am and have been curled up on the sofa watching films and drinking hot chocolate! Gotta love snow days! Bad news is that because I am house-sitting for my friend, I have NO good sledging hills close by and NO friends to have a snowball fight!! image

Hope everyone manages to get home from work okay. I have my doubts that school will be open tomorrow as they've forecast...
  • Options

image 40 minutes till cam play in snow. image

Aitch do you still get plaid as normal when it snow or do you have to make it up somehow?

• Options
    I presume we still paid but not sure. How would we make it up?! I do enough hours as it is so can't really do 'overtime'!!

• Options
    Just asking because we have to do so many hours a week and make it up if we don't for some reason. image I'd in the wrong job. 22 minutes to snowtime! image
  • Options
    Last year we used up all our `snow days` pretty quickly! I think if your school closes for more than 5 days, you have to make any others up during holiday time! Glad you got home OK Aitch!
  • Options
    That sounds about right ET, but they don't bother for just one day do they? Do you think you'll be attempting to head in tomorrow?? Not heard anything from the head about tomorrow...
  • Options
    I`ll ring first thing but I very much doubt we`ll be in. image
  • Options
    Cake you're not in the wrong job, trust me. Yes you get holidays and good benefits etc but it IS really hard work and the hours I put in far outweigh any 9-5 job I have ever done! And I am knackered all the time teaching!

I will call first thing too but I usually get there the same time as the secretary at 7.30am. I might call the head first thing.

• Options

Did folks get the 5K entry form I sent out earlier on? Might be a bit warmer then.

ET - can't help with any shoe recommendations as I don't need over pronation shoes.

• Options
    I have had a text - NO SCHOOL TOMORROW!! Another snow day!
  • Options
    ET I slightly over-pronate and I run in Brooks Adrenaline 9 and I love them. Best running trainers I've ever had!
  • Options
    Sheils-Sheils- ✭✭✭
    PJAZ wrote (see)
    Sheils - need some advice on vegan cooking for Mrs Didds sister - good cookbooks and where to get local organic veg from. Ta.

I've got loads of vegan recipes- depends what sort of thing you're after. The Vegan Society website has recipes and I'm in a Facebook group called Vegan Recipe Exchange- you'll see it if you have a look on my profile page. I've e-mailed you a book of recipes that a friend of my daughter put together and sent to me. She's American but don't let that put you offimage If there's anything in particular you're after just let me know and I'll see if I can help.

As for local organic veg- not much round here I'm afraid but Asda do have an organic section in their fruit and veg. There's a shop at Crookes called Beanies that has lots of organic goodies, and they deliver a weekly box for a small fee. 

Loser Baz wrote (see)

Did folks get the 5K entry form I sent out earlier on? Might be a bit warmer then.

I got the form Baz- thanks. Not sure about doing it yet but will consider it.
  • Options

ET - is it a new pair of road shoes you're after? What do you currently use and do you like them? I tend to think if you find a shoe that works for you it's worth sticking with it? I'm an over-pronator as well, the only times I've every changed shoes I've had issues with them so I stick with my old faithful Asics 2100 series, I think the current model is the 2130's.

Baz - got the application thanks, could well be tempted but at the moment I'm struggling to think that far ahead!

Anyone doing the next park run on the 16th?

• Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

How are you? Sorry I've not been on for ages - I've been really ill over Xmas. Had Gastric Flu - dear me, I thought the world had ended! I don't think I've ever been as ill as that before. Started on Xmas Day and I'm only really now back in the land of the living, and I still can't eat properly. So I've had a cracking Xmas - spent the entire time in bed feeling like I'm about to die. My last proper meal was Xmas Eve!

Hey ho - cracking prep for the Marathon too......

• Options

Awwww, LS21 that sounds rubbish, hope you're feeling much better, still looking on the bright side at least you didn't stack away 7lbs worth of extra body weight image

I've been skiing image I clearly understood fine to ski in 3 weeks to mean fine to ski tomorrow from the minor injuries unit... Still foot was ok skiing, only only hurt for abut 20mins after, so my favoured diagnosis of the day is mortons neuroma... (It's a good job i don't diagnose at workimage)

16th would be 2 weeks off... it could be a good test, and since it's a 2 lap course I can always pull out after 1 if it's not sorted itself by then, so I could be up for the park runimage