Options

Gosport Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    The Beagle: I live within 2 miles of the start, there are no nice hotels in Gosport. It's not a particularly nice place. The Solent Hotel in Whiteley is the nearest hotel that's particularly good.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Tobester - oh right I understood it was still two laps. Do you have a copy of the route?

Toby - planning sub 1.35 but a long way under so I would advise against following me :¬0
  • Options
    Doug2Doug2 ✭✭✭

OMG - You guys are sounding like this is gonna be serious !! This is my first half so not too worried about times - I just wanna get round and try to enjoy it.

Amyone else feel the same ?

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Doug

relax mate, all standards will be at this one

Gobi
  • Options
    Doug2Doug2 ✭✭✭

Cheers Gobi.

I was hoping that there's gonna be a wide spread of abilities but it's kind of off-putting to see people talking about completing in what I think are ridiculouslessly fast times.

Maybe it's me just getting the wibbles - I'm trying to stay cool about it and am sure it'll be fun whatever happens image

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Mate

where I am in the field I still think the people in front of me run stupidly fast times that I can only dream of as well :¬0

No point worrying about others though as you can only do your best.

G
  • Options

Doug don't worry, were just freaks going for sub 1.35 times.

I'd like someone to follow to get a sub 35 time but not if people are going closer to the 30 range! that wont be for me!

I don't want to talk about running today..(beer/curry night with friends last night and feel rough)...guess I'm in the wrong place then!

• Options
    Doug2Doug2 ✭✭✭

Sounds like a good traing plan Toby image

Paul F, Beagle - What about the Holiday Inn at GunWharf then ferry across from Pompey to Gosport ? ( I don't live around that way so don't know how far it is from Gosport ferry terminal to race start)

• Options
    Haha I'm treating myself to a week off running after Sundays 1/2. Don't worry Doug. Come Monday I'll be back on it. Going to get new running shoes at lunch image
  • Options

Paul, thanks for your help. 

Hubby and I now entered online for the HM - really looking forward to it. 

Fear not re times!  I'm aiming for 1:50 and my hubby for 2:00 - there will be plenty of us at the back!

• Options
    Anyone been to the Langstone Hotel?
  • Options

Gobi> The map is on the website on the front page and can be found here.

You do the bit in the airfield twice but from a different direction the second time. You get to run past hovercraft and on roads not accesible to the general public so it should be quite good.

Accomodation-wise, the Anglesey Hotel is probably a good bet (and seems fairly reasonable rate-wise). It's about a mile from the start. Anglesey Hotel

There's also The Old Lodge (bit swish) a B&B Thirty Three A and The Alverbank that is so historic that its website doesn't work (but google has details).

I can vouch for the locations of these places but I've never stayed in them (I've eaten and drunk at the Anglesey Hotel though several times).

• Options

Doug2, don't worry, this is a great half for first timers and with a good spread of abilities. This was my first HM last year, I did 1:54 and there were plenty behind me. The organisation is good with great encouragement from the marshals.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Tobester

Nice one

regards

G
  • Options
    Good info. Think I'll get someone to treat me to a Sunday roast in the Anglesey afterwards then! Will need it for the almost 2 hours drive home after image
  • Options
    Where do you live Toby? It's a pain to drive anywhere after a long runimage.
  • Options
    Live in London but will be at a place in Devon for a week. The drive wont be fun. Will try and get a family member to take me. But from experience, no one likes to get up at stupid o'clock on a Sunday morning!
  • Options
    I have just done a half in 2 hours 13 minutes(hope to do my next a little faster!!!), it sounds like all you guys are all way faster that me!!! i would like to run Gosport but dont want to be the slowest ??? what does any one think ??? M
  • Options
    Based on last year's results you'd have been 798th out of 874 (2:44:42). There were quite a few people around that time so you'd be in the company of several other runners as well.

If you were last (which you wouldn't be) then you'd have our friendly cyclist to keep you company - we out them all out and count them all back.

A good piece of advice - if you're not used to running a distance - is to make sure that your name is written on your running top clearly enough for people to see it as that means that people can call out support to you by name which always helps give you a little boost.
  • Options
    Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

Mary - don`t worry about finishing first or last or keeping up with the person in front but run your own race.....and enjoy the experience image  

As for having your name on the front of your vest - great advice & its so bizarre hearing your name being called out image 

Anyone know where the best place to park is?

• Options

Lost my running mojo for the last couple of weeks. I keep going out for a distance/time but just keep running out of steam. I have rested several days but still have the old wheels falling off prematurely.

I am training for the Luton Marathon in December so the distances are vital, but every time i go for a long one i just suffer. I have a local 1/2 marathon this weekend so i am hoping this will jolt me back into the running game, I am aiming for sub 1:30 this weekend, and if that dont happen that will be the target for Gosport.

• Options
    Doug2Doug2 ✭✭✭

Hi Mary - Looks there's at least 2 of us that are gonna be around the 2.10/2.15 time image. This will be my first HM so, as everyone else says, I think I'm just gonna try to enjoy it. Great idea about the name thing tho' - I'll definitely try to remember that.

Mr.K. - I thought there was parking at the start/finish ?

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Chris

what pace are you doing the runs at ??

is it marathon pace ??

Gobi
  • Options

coming with the family. Anyone recommend a suitable vantage / viewing point that will keep 8 and 10 yr old entertained? Eldest may do the fun run.

cheers

• Options

Hi Gobi

I am actually following a sub 3:00 marathon plan which is a bit too fast for me, but i am following it as close as i can in the hope that i will be fit enough to go sub 3:15 and thus bag a GFA place for FLM201.

Thus my long runs are at 7:30 pace which will be around my anticipated race pace.

I know this is too fast for long runs, but i have followed the same sort of thing for my other races to good effect.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Chris

it answers why you are knackered and have Mojo issues. I run 2.39 for the marathon and do some of my long runs slower than that.

MP for some runs is a good plan but I suggest you do a few of the LONGER long runs at 8.30 - 9mm.

Just a thought

regards

G