Options

Calling all Bupa Great North Run hopefuls

Comments

• Options

Name: Belinda Southall

Brief Running History:  And it is that - Brief!  I started running in March this year after deciding to do the Race for Life.  I ran this on 23/06/08 in 32 mins.  So, for a novice runner I was very pleased (and still am).  Before that, the last time I ran was at school.

Reason Why I should be trained: I see a lot of the other messages on here from people who have been running for years.  It would be excellent for a novice runner like me (who doesnt have the best running style and struggles with breathing techniques) to be picked and to learn how to run properly.  The sense of achievement from doing the Race for Life was amazing, but to do this would be fantastic.  I enjoy running and the freedom it gives me but to have a goal like this would be superb.  I still do not consider myself to be a 'runner' but being given this opportunity would make me see myself as a runner and improve my health and my self confidence lots.

Half Marathon Goal - To be able to say I did it and ran all the way.

• Options

Name: Daniel How

Brief Running History: Novice, just starting training, completed two 10km runs, but have some way to go before being able to complete (within a reasonable time) a half marathon.

Reason Why We Should Train You: I've given up alcohol for 2008, and am now half way through and need another incentive to keep me going. Being a rugby player I'd imagine I may well be the heaviest person running the half marathon, I have trained to high standards before for rugby and hence the results of the training should be visible and importantly interesting for those reading! I'm currently raising money for Leukeumia Research, and would love to tag on a half marathon to keep the funds coming in.

Half Marathon Goal: I completed the 10km run last year in 57minutes, so I'd imagine anything under 2 hours would be exceptional. Probably 2hr 15minutes would be more realistic. Being over 130kg - any finish would make me pretty proud.

• Options

Brief Running History:

I have a very "on and off" running history.  I enjoy running but don't consider myself a runner because I have to work so hard at it and it does not come natural to me.  I have had an under-active thyroid problem for two years and this had a big impact on my overall fitness, however, this is now under reasonable control and last week I managed a 10 k, and although it was a hard slog for me, it was also a personal achievement.

Why You Should Train Me: 

I would consider that I used to be previously fit but due to health problems I feel I  would need guidance, envouragement and advice if I was to even consider a half-marathon, mainly because I need to build my confidence in returning to a level of fitness that I used to enjoy.  I would also respond to having a goal to work towards.  I would relish the challenge!

My Goal:

Simply to work hard, train hard and having something to aim for. 

• Options

I would love to win this prize.

I have only recently started really taking up running properly, I use to be gym mad but due to work commitments had to give that up so decided on a new challenge.

I am currently signed up for a 5k on Sunday (29 June), a 10k on 5 July and a 10k on 2 August.  However I am always looking for a new challenge so would love the opportunity to compete in a half marathon.

Once I set my mind to something I can't stop and this has meant that since April I have run almost every morning, getting up at 5.45 to run a few laps of the park (I usually run about 45 minutes) though I have managed to build up to doing over two hours on a Saturday.  I don't though vary my training so I would like to win this prize to learn how to train and race properly.  I would also benefit from the nutrition advice as I don't believe that currently my eating habits are benefiting my training - since I started running I have lost quite a lot in weight.

Overall I would love to win this prize as it sounds like a real challenge and there is nothing I like more than challenging myself.

• Options

Name: Paul Mannion

Running history: Have always played team sports mainly football. Took up running in 2008 as I always wanted to do a marathon. Did my first marathon in April '08 in just under 3 hrs!!! Well chuffed

Reason to train me: I ahve just joined my local running lcub and  I want to see if I have the ability to take my running to elite and competitive arena.

Target: I want to beat my previous best half marahton 1hr 23 min and try and compete with some of the more elite runners -.

Thanks.

• Options

Name: Lisa Tully  

Brief Running History

I have been running for approximately 6-7 years now.  I was only ever a sprinter at school and after watching the London Marathon for several years and sitting in front of the television I would always say that I would run the marathon one day so my mum told me to go and do something about it.  I did and I started off with my first 5K.  It took me three months for train for it, running with my work mates, running on the track and running with some of the London Nike 10k group.  I competed in my first 5k and that was it, I have been hooked ever since.  I have now done three marathons, London, New York and Chicago and I am hopefully in for next year's London marathon.  I have done the Great North Run 3 times previous and my quickest time was 2 hours 12 minutes.  I would like to ensure that I get this one, if I get in under 1 hour 50 minutes if I can. 

Why I could do with Training

I want to be able to motivate myself out of my comfort zone as I run for long miles and I usually do this with the dog, who I have to say is a great trainer but unfortunately he cannot tell me when I am being lazy! I need somebody to tell me to go that extra fast mile when I need do.  I have great stamina its just that when it comes to the speed I have it there I just do not seem to use it until right at the end of a race when I know I am not far from the finish line and then sprint it to the end.  I need some help with this so I ensure that my marathon pace and half a marathon pace is quicker. 

• Options

I believe that I deserve to win the package purely due to others perception of my goals.

I want to be a public and prime example of how three simple things can combine to equate into success - both physically and mentally. I want to prove that anyone with a standard level of fitness can push themselves up to a physical state that they had previously impossible; through a balanced diet, good advice and determination. Three core values that Runners world is based on.

I am a healthy 23 year old male. My background originated from playing Rugby through School, College and University. However, due to a shoulder injury three years ago my fitness has dropped and my Rugby career has ended. My shoulder has been operated on, my fitness levels are climbing and I feel in an ideal situation to take the step to serious training.

I currently run 3-4 times per week, covering roughly 20-25 miles. This terrain is normally road-running or along trials adjacent to the river in Leicester. I also participate in rock climbing and I am a keen snowboarder. I participated in a triathlon last august, raising £600 for Cancer research and I have also participated in a number of fun-runs for charity.

I am keen to be an example, a role-model of sorts and an inspiration, not just to others but also myself.  A recently quit smoker, I have the enthusiasm and determination to step up and prove what the three core values that have been exposed to me by runner’s world can actually do for anyone.

I hope that my application suits your needs and I hope that I may at least have the opportunity to discuss this with you further. Should I not get the opportunity with yourselves, I thank you for your time for reading my application; I may see you there anyway!

• Options

History;  The only regular thing i run is the bath. but i ran New York Marathon in 2005 4hr 56, Leeds Half Marathon 2007 2hr 01 and London Marathon 2008 5hr 06.

Why should you train me; I work long hours and also away from home on a regular basis and in my spare time I spend around 60 hours a month as a volunteer in the community. I am looking for some help and guidance and a kick up the rear to help me run more consistantly. The furthest I ran before my marathons was one 8 mile run so with your help and support and a large lucozade bottle thrown at me i hope to beat the guys in the office who are looking to run in 1hr 45. I think running at my atgret speed it the optimum advertising campaing, not too fast that peole can't see and not too slow that i should be a pie advert.

So my target time would be 1hr 40.  

• Options

Name: Kelly-Jay Marshall

Brief running history:The Great North Run was my first ever race last year at the age of 26. I didn't know what to expect with training and the race itself as I had never done sucha a distance before. I trainined up to 10miles, no further and due to my partner's work commitments ended up having to travel to Newcastle on my own. I absolutely fell in love with running after that race and caught the running bug BIG TIME. It resulted in me doing the London Marathon this year on a charity place and continuing to train week in week out taking part in local 10ks and half marathons.

Reason why we should train you: Doing the GNR last year was slightly disappointing in the fact that I felt very alone and had noone to talk to about training and noone to enjoy the race with me. If you trained me I would love keeping the site up to date and getting feedback from others and also sharing the day and the experience with the other 5winners. It truly would be amazing!

Half-marathon goal: Not just to beat last year's time but to experience the race in a new way by having other people to enjoy it with!

Good Luck everyone! xxx

• Options

I am a running novice in relative terms despite being in the Territorial Army for 7 years, then I hated being told to run.  Now I run because it makes me feel great (at the end) and I enjoy raising money for charity.  I don't have a training schedule I fit it in around my job and children and as I run on my own mostly I would love some extra motivation.

I have recently done a 5k race for life in 33 mins which considering I had not done much training I was pleased with.  I am embarking on a 10k at Delamere Forest on 3rd July and the Christies 10k around the 20th July. 

I really want the opportunity to show how I value the help and advice from Runners World into practice and getting a boost into my training. 

I have not signed up yet to the Great North Run but I will be doing very soon.

Finally - I am sure there will be fitter runners than me but I feel I would be much more appreciative of this chance as a novice who needs the encouragment.

• Options
    Brief running history:  I started running in 2007 starting with the Leeds 10K. Since then I have completed many 10Km runs. I did my first half marathon in Sheffield in April this year in a time of 1Hr 55, with not a lot of training. I really enjoyed it despite it been really gruelling at times.
    Reason why we should train you: I think I did really well without much training last year and despite the determination I have, I keep lacking motivation. Lucozade sport would give me the motivation required. Hence feel I would definitely benefit from this opportunity, which could make me more confident in my running ability
    Half-marathon goal: Sub 1:40  
  • Options

Name:  Allison Agius

Brief Running History:  Started running 18 months ago after divorce and own business nose dived.  Felt like I'd lost everything and wanted to get fit, take care of myself and build my self esteem.  First time I ran I thought my lungs were bleeding!  I have rebuilt my life and running has been the one constant.  The me time whilst I created a new home, a new life and found a job.   I am an amatuer by anybody's standard.  Not ran in any races or competed in anyway.  I run regularly - three times a week - averaging 9 - 12 miles a week.  

Reson why we should train you: I am just about to start as CEO of an organisation - how far I have come  in my career!  From failing business to CEO in 18 months!  Because running has been the one constant in the last 18 months of turmoil I'd like my running acheivements to reflect my life.  I want this year to be the year that I ran the Great North Run for the first time!  I think I could do that with a little bit of help, support and encouragement.

Half Marathon Goal:  Honestly...just to get round without stopping would be an amazing achievement for me!

• Options

My name is Deborah Vaughan.

A brief running history:  Thats easy! I am a total novice and learning quickly along the way. I have given up smoking to train for the GNR, and the improvement in my training/health is amazing already. With expert guidance I know I can do so much better than I am now. My running partner is no longer able to take part so I am training alone, and would so benefit from the package that is on offer. I will share all of my training experience, the good, the bad, and the ugly!

I am running for clic sargent as this charity was a true lifeline for me and my family when my daughter was diagnosed with a brain tumour in 2001, she will be at the finish line waiting for me. I am training and going to the gym, but I would appreciate and benefit so much from this. You will see the results of the training as I am so committed, and I will not be afraid to say how it really is during the training. To have the expert nutritional guidance, and all the other help, would really make this a race to remember!

Half-marathon goal: Its my personal goal to complete in under 3 hours, not as fast as some I know,  though this would be reduced further with your help.

• Options

Name : Mark Ferns

History : Have been running for 8 years, after giving up 20 years ago. Despite being a club runner, I struggle to discipline myself to a tight training schedule, I need to be bribed/goaded/threatened ! I regularly compete in 5K and 10K races, and have done the GNR 3 times, BUT I've never hit that holy grail for runners of my age...1h 30m ! I've got 2 years left after Sept, and would love to be able to do this at a prestigious half marathon, and the GNR being the biggest in the World..well, enough said !

I would love to have a program that would help me acheive this goal, and training with Liz would be amazing....if you could get Paula as well I would empty my bank account ! I think the time is in my legs, but I needed your expert help and guidance to get it out, it would make a middle distance/aged runner very happy.

MarkMark

• Options
     Sian, Brief running History:  I have always been energetic regularly jogging and going the gym, but in the last two years i have started to take running seriously.  I have now done a number of 5km and 10km races and completed the Liverpool half marathon in 1hour 42 minutes and would love to do more half marathons.  Reasons why we should train you:  I have never been part of a running club or even had a running partner, i simply train myself.  This training however has paid off as i came second place in the Birkenhead 5km women’s race for life.  I love running and feel that i could potentially be very good if given the right training tips, support and encouragement.  I would love this opportunity to take part in the great north run and receive the help, advice and support that this offer includes.Half marathon goal:  hopefully within 1 hour 50 minutes.
  • Options

Name: Natalie

Brief running history: my first experience of training was for the 2004 auckland marathon in new zealand... after this i didnt train again seriously until about 3 months ago, i'm running the great scottish run in september.... i'm 24

Reason why we should train you:  running means everything to me, its freedom, its ambition, its achievement, it brings up your mood and gives you space to think things through, gets you outside by the sea, parks or mountains... i've struggled with my self confidence, but when your out on a run it all disappears.... i'm new to a serious training routine and already find myself struggling with speedwork and run too far on the days i enjoy, I have just had to take some frustrating time off due to a twisted ankle, i would really appreciate some help... its really important to me and i dont want to mess up my chances due to my lack of experience....

Half-marathon goal: last time i ran 1hr 51, i hope to beat this at least but an ambitious 1.45 or 1.40 would be amazing

• Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭

I don't know why all of you new people are bothering.  We all know Farnie's going to win it so there's no point even trying.

• Options
    What an honour to have the opportunity to train with the support of Liz Yelling and the Lucozade sport scientists and nutritionists. I am a biology teacher, and a daily diet of staffroom tea and cakes was piling onto my waist, so I got into running just under a year ago. I needed a target, and entered The Great South Run in October. It was hideous. It rained and pelted with hail, the waves came over the sea wall, my trousers chaffed, and, the next day, I was hooked. I spent most of November in bed with Whooping cough. Ever the stubborn and unrealistic optimist, I decided the London Marathon sounded like fun, and learned I had a place on January 19th. Three months to train with no clue how. Cue rain and hail for a second time. I can honestly say that no one was more impressed than I was when, after 4 hours and fifty something minutes, I crawled over the line.  Embarrassingly, until recently I saw this as an exercise in ticking boxes. Great South. check. London. Check. I have now though come to relish the freedom and power of running, and have taken great pride in watching both my times and distances improve. I would love to now have the chance to learn to do this properly for the enjoyment of it, and find out not whether I can do it, but how well I can do it.
  • Options

Name:  Neil woods

Town: Bournemouth

Running History:  I gave up smoking and took to running on the road about 4 months ago. I have completed my first 10K run in 55Mins and have now entered for the Asics British 10K London Run 6th July and the Nike Plus 10K 31st August.Half-marathon goal:  Under 120 Mins.Why you should train me:  I have just found out that the pain I am experiencing in my knee is a torn cartilage image  of which I go in for key-whole surgery on the 8th July (after my 10K ). I am passionate about running but hit a brick wall at about 7miles that I can’t seem to break through. You should train me to help me recover from my operation and help me break through my 7 mile brick wall image.

If not successful is there anybody in Bournemouth that can help? 

Neil

• Options
    Name: Dave Burtonshaw, 41 years old.

Brief running history:

I used to run at school and represented the school in cross country competition. Last year, I watched friends running a local 10k race and decided to take up the challenge of running this year even though I hadn't run since 1982. Training started last September and I couldn't manage two minutes non-stop running. I comfortably ran the race last sunday (my first for 26 years) and have to say it was a fantastic experience that I'll remember for the rest of my life.

Reason why we should train you:

I'm champing at the leash for a new challenge and have proved my dedication and commitment to reaching a goal over the last year.

I'll make the training a top priority in my life and follow your instructions to the letter. Tell me what to do and I'll do it! As simple as that! I can articulate my feelings well which is also an asset.

I'm currently running 15-20 miles a week which I hope is a good basis to start from.

Half-marathon goal:

Most advice I've heard from books and friends say that the objective of your first race at a longer distance is to finish. If pushed to name a time, realistically and honestly, I'd say 2:10 based on my 60:08 first 10k time.

Thanks for considering my entry.

• Options

Name: Tanya Lowe

Brief running history: Not a great deal to mention to date. I did the GNR 2007 just, i should add! in 2 hours 45minutes.

Reason why we should train you: No beating about the bush, simply because without a decent training plan i'll probably be aiming for a worse time than last year! And because it's taken me about an hour to find out how to post this thing.

Half-marathon goalimageimply to finish it still standing again this year. image

• Options
    I started running about a year ago, with the dual aim of not looking like a giant Hallowe’en pumpkin in my orange bridesmaid dress for my friend’s wedding, and running the London marathon. When I didn’t make it through the ballot, I entered Edinburgh instead. “Edinburgh?” frowned my friends, “isn’t that one big hill?” Undaunted, I pounded the grim canals of North Acton every lunchtime.
    Following the RW sub-3.45 training plan (hopeful, but aim high, eh?) I managed some impressive times, and felt well on course with seven weeks to go.
    My hubris was of course punished with a very annoying bout of tendonitis in my right ankle, which kept me off the roads for three weeks.
    Once I could run again, I managed to claw back some ground, only to go over my other ankle in the last week before the marathon. Despite protestations to my friends and parents that it “wasn’t that bad” and “would all be fine”, I was still hobbling on the day before the marathon, with less of an ankle than a cankle.
    Deciding that I hadn’t spent the last year missing parties, running through rainstorms and stinking of Deep Heat to stop now, I hauled myself over the finish line in a rather depressing 4.42.
    I would like, therefore, to be trained by RW for the Great North Run so that I can look myself in the face again and prove that I can do it in less than two hours.

• Options

Laurence Andrews

Fast approaching 40 and slowly gaining "cookie growth".

Running history - started running at 28 for Birmingham Rowheath. Cross country's, 10ks and relays. Kept 6 times a week going until I changed jobs. However last three years my running has disintegrated. Completed the GNR in 2005 off little training but was overwhelmed by the day and the support and 1hr 45. Planned for a comeback in 2007 but due to work and commitments - gave me 3 weeks training prior to the race but achieved 2 hrs 10 mins dressed as Sportacus ( for the kids) and raised money for Make A Wish Foundation, for whom i now volunteer.

I need the kick up the backside to get me out the door and get my running mojo back. I would relish the chance to join your elite team and be trained to "compete" in the GNR 2008.

• Options

Running history: I was a swimmer when I was younger and forced to run in school events just because I was the sporty one!  After a spell of many years of no exercise at all (in defiance of training 8 times a week) I've got back into running - for my own enjoyment rather than doing it for other people.  I got really into it about a year ago and offered to take a friends position in the Milton Keynes Half marathon as she had to pull out - with only 2 weeks notice!! I can't say I particularly enjoyed it  - I'm sure I said I would never do it again but here I am begging to be trained! 

Reason you should train me:  I'm super keen!! I don't really have any goals at the moment and so my training is very hit and miss.  I'm currently stuck around the 10km mark.  I know I can do more - as I have done before but I need some help to get over that barrier! - I need a reason in fact!

I'd love to tell everyone about my progress in all its misery and glory (i hope!).  i would be dedicated to giving people a realistic running (!) commentry on my progress.

Half Marathon goal:  I would love to do it in around 1.45-1.50 hours

• Options

Running background: Born 1983...started running round the house from about 2 years old seemed fun at the time, did a little more running around the playground at primary school, upped the running a little bit more a secondary school...bloomin compulsory cross country lessons...then to uni...not a lot of running...maybe when I was late for a lecture or when I heard it was someone else’s round at the local!!! End of uni and then come work lunches, it would be silly not to eat as much as you can if work are paying!! Uh oh then weight gain...best get running again!!

Goals: To finish...whether that is a run to the local shops, to the next town, a 5k race or why not set my goal a little higher...the BUPA Great North Run

Why I deserve it: I may not be the fittest, I may not have the most running experience...but I will give it my all, and do it with a chirpy smile on my face, whilst looking like a tomato no doubt....oh well some of us just cant run and look elegant at the same time!!!
  • Options
    Name - Pawan Satav

Running History – I started running in 2007 and  finished my first marathon in 02:55 minutes.  Since then I've run few half marathons and now my my timing is just over 2 hours

Reason: For running a marathon you do require a  certain level of dedication ,determination and fitness  which I believe I have .I think I need the extra professional training to achieve the magical time of Sub 01:30 , finish the race with a big smile on my face and to prove all those people wrong who thought I will never be able to run for more than a mile without a gun being pointed at my head !!!

Half Marathon Goal – Sub 1:30
  • Options

Name:

Michelle Beaumont

Brief running history:

I started running just over a year ago (December 2006) as I had got a bit on the chunky side and needed to get myself in shape - my clothes were all too tight and I couldt affford a new wardrobe! I must admit it was hard at first but after a few months I started to love it and was putting in some decent times. My first ever race was the Bushy Park time trial, a colleague from work  (who you could say became my coach as well as a very good friend) and I did it in 27 mins (and needed to stop twice!). I am now fairy good, I joined a running club, Ranelagh Harriers in Richmond, and completed my first Marathon in 3:55 (London 2008)

Reason why we should train you:

After the Marathon I felt fine and pretty much jumped back into training after only 4 days however I think this may not have been wise as I seem to have slowed down. My Half Marathon PB was 1:36 before the marathon but I seem to be doing 1:42 - 1:46 lately and I dont feel as fit as I was. I would really like some help getting back to my pre marathon speed and just to find out how my body works and why I have slowed down. I would love to win this prize, it really would mean so much to me.

Half-marathon goal:

This is tough, I would love 1:30 but I would be happy with 1:35.

PLEASE PICK ME!!!

Michelle xximage

• Options

Has anyone notice how many people have put their name down for this with their first post on the forum image. I thought that the idea was to have forumites taking part and not people who have not contributed to the threads, forum and have possibly only joined to get one of these places.

I cant see that someone who has not previously posted on the forum will then gladly take part in the forums, completing the blogs etc.

This rant has probably cost me a place now anyway image

• Options
    I nominate: Sarah McBrien (my lovely twin sister)

Real age: 29 (mental age – hhhmmm…)

Personal history: On October 5th 2007 my twin sister, Sarah, was diagnosed with advanced lung cancer. Over the past 8 months she has stunned us all with her sheer strength of will (some might call it stubbornness!) and got on with her normal active life while having 8 months of grueling treatment. She even took up running four months ago during her chemo - she’s is currently very, very pleased with herself for having finished her first ever 10k race in 1h 02mins, and that was 2 weeks after finishing chemo.

Running history: She may be a running newbie but she is already an addict (I check facebook, she checks runner's world - heh heh – but has been too shy to sign up to the forum just yet – maybe she needs a little encouragement from the forumites… you look like a friendly bunch).

Why you should pick her: Sarah should be one of your 6 runners as:

a) If you train her, then she might stop dragging me out of bed at 6 in the morning – woo hoo!

b) She’ll have someone else to chatter about all things running related

c) Crossing that finishing line on the 5th of October will be one of the major achievements in her life and the perfect end to a really really crazy year

d) She's always secretly wanted to be famous I think image (she will kill me for this)

(PS – she’s never smoked in case you were wondering)

(PPS - her treatment has gone amazingly well and she is now getting back to her normal, happy, healthy self)
  • Options

Name: Peter Stone
    Brief running history: I started running as a ten year old, I remember doing a school sports day in running spikes at junior school, and everything was fine for eleven years. I loved my running, then stress fractures in 1996 led to me being unable to run more than about a mile. I finally got over them in 2007 and started running again. Used to be able to run anything from 400m to a marathon reasonable respectably. Now I am just happy to be able to put my feet on the ground at a fairly quick pace again.

Reason why we should train you: After starting again I have got the running bug bad, and  I am loving the freedom that running gives me. Despite that my enthusiasm and memory of performances I put in in my teens means I am sometimes a little bit over enthusiastic in training, this has led to periods of injury induced downtime. I just can't cope with it, the pent up energy I have when injured drives those around me mad. So the training would hopefully help keep me injury free and protect my sanity and that of my wife and children.You would be doing your bit for the mental health of this country and potentially avoiding an addtion to the divorce statistics. 

Half-marathon goal: My goal is to break 90minutes for the half marathon.