Options

Lucozade Sport Super Six: CC2 - Speedy Goth

Comments

• Options

Tonight's session -

This sounded really weird to me - 45 mins including 20 alternating half marathon and marathon pace. I finally figured out that the best way to do it would be to program the Garmin for an interval session of 10 1 minute reps plus 10 1 minute 'recoveries'. I was aiming for 7.15 pace in the odd numbered ones, 8 pace in the evens. At first I found it really hard to figure out my pace for such a short amount of time but I got better at it as the session went on. I must have looked a right numpty running back and forth along Mapperly Top, but I wanted a nice straight, flatish path. Sadly there are lots of side roads and I had to weave around a few cars and occasionally grind to an abrupt halt when a car appeared from behind a building.

WU (I forgot to start my watch so at least 5 mins extra on this)  0.53 miles in 5.02,  pace 9.30 (includes stopping to stretch my calves as they were feeling rather tight)
    Rep   Miles  Pace
    1         0.14    7.17
    2         0.12    8.04
    3         0.14    7.18
    4         0.12    8.06
    5         0.14    7.21
    6         0.13    7.57
    7         0.14    7.16
    8         0.13    7.53
    9         0.14    7.16
    10       0.13    7.52
    11       0.14    7.10
    12       0.13    7.59
    13       0.14    7.11
    14       0.12    8.07
    15       0.14    7.11
    16       0.13    7.49
    17       0.14    7.12
    18       0.13    7.59
    19       0.14    7.04
    20       0.13    7.50

CD 2.03 miles in 18.07 mins, pace 8.55.

Total 5.2 miles, in 43.09 mins, average pace 8.18, average HR 157. (Plus 5 mins)

• Options

Today's nutrition:

Dry Fruit and Fibre
    Mug of tea
    Oats & More bar
    Apple
    Mug of tea
    Dry Ryvita
    Dried apricots, nuts and seeds
    2 rice cakes
    Pasta concoction
    Banana, grapes and blueberries in fruit yoghurt
    Can of Diet Coke
    Mug of tea
    Brunch bar
    Mug of tea
    500mls Lucozade Body Fuel
    Nesquick
    Porridge with freshly picked blackberries
    Slice of malt loaf
    Cranberry cereal bar
    Diet Coke
    At least one and a half litres of water throughout the day.

Someone went out at lunch and brought cakes back to the office. Cruel or what?! I was eyeing up the mini caramel shortcakes as they were only 86 cals so I thought might not be too unhealthy, but they were 11.4% SATURATED fat. Yikes. 31.9% fat overall. I decided that probably would not help fuel my run tonight and had the Brunch bar instead. I might succumb to a chocolate cake tomorrow though, 205 cals but decidedly lower fat. Or maybe I should save myself for whatever unhealthy burnt delights the BBQ has to offer.

• Options
    Heel is niggly today. In fact it's throbbing now. image I think it's bruised under the fat pad (fat pad syndrome)  and it was responding well to heel cups in my work shoes, but for the past couple of days it's been more painful again. I might have to tape it up and see if that helps.
  • Options

well done on the session and the programming was even more impressive.

The fast bits are excellent and even the slower bits are good.

re heel, obviously ice, would also suggest aspirin and rubbing cream in.

well done on the discliplined eating. You deserve a chocalate cake.

• Options

Morning CC2 image

Hope your heel is feeling better this morning! 

Just going back to your 800 reps, my times are very similar to yours (within a few seconds) which is pretty heartening for me, and although I have managed 2:53 before, my reps tend to come in around the 3:15-3:25 mark.  I just it's just a case of stringing them all together for a race.

I'd be interested to know your average rep times for 1000's, 1200, and 1600 if you've done any 

Last night's session for you looks fairly complicated (and I know my garmin isn't up to the challenge lol)  

RE: lara croft belt - could you not just fill two of the bottles for shorter stuff so it doesnt feel so weighty? 

• Options

Hi CC2

Had a similar session myself last night but with a slower pace of 8 and 9.  We found it hard to work this one out and ended up doing it more by feel. Tried to do this session running around the streets, it would have been better somewhere straighter but we will know next time.

Hope your heel feels better today, I've had to ice my knee as it's started to complain about the increased intensity so we're going back to the knee support

Excellent diet, I've started a food diary which will hopefully help me focus on what I'm eating and more importantly for me, when. Tuna Pasta Bake that near to my run was'nt the best idea but it was the only way I could fit it in.

Hope you have a good pain free week-end. 

Sue

• Options

Hi Vicki, I've never done any 1000, 1200 or 1600 reps but my mile reps over winter were coming in around the 6.20 mark. I did do one momentous one in 5.44 though! I was much slower on the mile reps last week but they were supposed to be done at 10k pace. Also it was boiling hot and the path round the lake is somewhat undulating with added kissing gate and 2 barriers to navigate.

No pain from my heel tonight but my entire legs decided to make up for it. It was horrible! Since all of my other sessions have been a bit on the long side this week I opted for the 'inner loop' route of 4.9 miles rather than the 'outer loop' of 6.3 miles figuring a minute or so under time wouldn't be such a bad thing.

4.9 miles in 42.40 (avg pace 8.43, avg heart rate 153).

For an easy run it didn't feel easy at all. My legs were so stiff and steadfastly refused to cooperate for the first few miles. I did manage to pick up the pace at the end though and the last mile was my fastest.

I'm shattered now and can't imagine how I'll manage 100 mins between 8 and 9 pace on my own in the country park in the morning image. My running buddy Pete let me down, promised to run with me then changed his mind because he has to take his kids somewhere. Honestly, what kind of excuse is that?!! image.

• Options

Today was officially a HUNGRY DAY

Dry fruit n fibre
    Mug of Tea
    Oats & More bar
    Chocolate cupcake (well, Steve did say I deserved it!)
    Grapes
    Mug of Tea
    Rice Cake and dry Ryvita
    Brunch bar
    Bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon
    Homemade veg soup
    Banana with blackberries and blueberries in fruit yoghurt
    Can of Diet Coke
    Mug of Tea
    Apple
    Flapjack
    Mug of Tea
    500mls Body Fuel
    Nesquick
    3 slices malt loaf (dry)
    At least one and a half litres of water throughout the day

And I'll have a bowl of porridge when I get out of the bath. With blackberries. And diet coke. And maybe something else too cos I am HUNGRY!

NB - the reason I have dry cereal is that I don't like milk unless it's in tea or nesquick. The reason I have dry ryvita and dry malt loaf is that I don't like butter unless it's in cake. image

• Options

I took RW to work to show everyone and the overwhelming consensus was that it is a rubbish photo of me (sorry mum!). So this is what I really look like...

http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-snc1/v273/100/67/660377096/n660377096_1035930_1821.jpg

http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v148/155/71/623197057/n623197057_237824_8084.jpg

And to rival Dump Truck, here's one of me at work...

http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v164/250/125/501469596/n501469596_340409_5062.jpg

• Options

Excellent piccies CC2! Love the collar, I've got a sweet lockable leather one, but only for special occasions image

Glad to hear the heel is ok, and sending healing vibes your way for your legs!

RE: Mile reps - That's around about my mile rep pace, (though I've only just managed 5:49 for 1500m) so it seems I'm about the same pace over the shorter stuff, but I lose it a bit over 10k. I just mustn't have your stamina. I'm hoping that all the training I'm doing at the mo will help out - got a 12 miler planned for this weekend, and I'm hoping to get up to 15 before the big day (in the hopes that 13 wont seem as far if I've ran further if you know what I mean).

• Options

Vicki - I have always trained over-distance in the past. I did a 20 miler last year and a couple of 18s. I find it helps psychologically.

According to the calculators, based on my 10k time I should be able to run a half in something daft like 1.33, but then they also put my 1 mile time at 6.12. Given that I've run 5.44 in training that's really quite a long way off. They also overestimate my 5k time. So maybe I'm just better at shorter distances. I'd say that's even more the case for you. Your 5k PB was better than mine until very recently (and no doubt will be again soon!), while my 10k and half PBs are better than yours. I don't even attempt the short track races that you do!

Going to try to get an early night in before tomorrow's session. At least I have a clean dry set of clothes for it though. This running 6 days a week business is stretching my wardrobe and I had to pack a vest straight out of the washer for tonight's run. It had pretty much dried out by evening but the whole bag smelled rather dampimage. I'm really looking forward to receiving the kit, it's much needed!

• Options

Take it relatively easy on the run - you are obviously tired and also have a niggle.

I would suggest saving it until Sunday but I know you prefer saturday runs

• Options
    No I don't, I prefer sunday runs. BUT I have the running club BBQ tomorrow and will finally get the grand prix trophy I won on December 1st 2007. Then I may well be having my first night out on the town since January. On sunday I will be in no fit state to run any distance!
  • Options

Sorry remember your request to change things around now.

You need more drinking training, if you are unable to do anything at all - Surely you would have sobered up by Sunday teatime!

Hope the run is almost as enjoyable as the BBQ and trophy celebrations!

• Options

Hi CC2

Great pictures, very glamorous. Agree with you about the kit, we need to break it in before the big day.

Know what Steve means about feeling tired and I'm only doing 4 days a week, fell asleep at my desk.

Enjoy your BBQ and award ceremony tonight and try and take some time out to relax. Have a good week-end.

• Options
    Very glamorous CC2!   Have a good time tonight, I was out last night and it did me the world of good.  Picnic in the park at Shugborough Hall in Stafford with very cheesy music but great fun.  Will post some pics later if they're any good.  Trouble is, I can't drag myself out of bed today but I'll have to get up soon, I'm starving!! 
  • Options

That'll be me tomorrow KGL! It won't necessarily be a hangover, just sheer tiredness. Especially if I do end up going clubbing and spend the whole night on the dance floor!

I didn't set my alarm last night and woke up feeling more 'with it' at ten to 8. If only I could get up at that hour every day instead of half past 6 I might not feel so flaming tired all the time. Had breakfast of porridge with blackberries, coffee and 500mls Hydro Active while watching a program on growing your own veg that I spotted on iplayer (I was looking for the Colin Jackson program from the other night but couldn't find it - anyone know what it was called?). Was momentarily distracted when I spotted greenfly on my pepper plant and had to spend some time spraying the little blighters with soapy water. Grrimage.

I drove out to Burnt Stump country park and just as I was pulling into the car park Whitesnake's 'Here I go again on my own' was playing on my cassette. How appropriate! Plugged in the ipod and set off up the long drag to the rugby club, over the road and down the long sweeping downhill. Round a corner then back uphill again to get into Sansom woods. I took the path around the outside of the park so that I could add some milage before I got to the lakes. These lakes at Papplewick are quiet exposed, but flat compared to the rest of the route so I did two figure of 8 laps to get some quicker miles in. However the sun decided to make an appearance just then and it was roasting, so I was relieved to get to the car wash cut through for the 2nd time and go through it feeling the fuzzy bushes brush past me on either side. They were all soggy from the overnight rain and felt lovely! Then there a couple of lovely shaded paths through the woods before you cross another road. Once over the road I got out my Lucozade Carbo gel to try. I must admit I was skeptical. I've tried other brand orange flavour gels and found them revolting, however I was pleasantly suprised - it was actually quiet palatable! I finished it just as I arrived at the car park, which conveniently has a bin. Made a point of drinking a reasonable amount of water to wash it down as I ran along some more nice shady paths to the bottom of the hill.

Now I don't know what it is about Blidworth, but whenever I run there on my own I always get bliddy lost! I was trying to take the same route I took last time I ran there alone (when I had gotten lost but it turned out to be a less hilly route and had taken 102 mins that time so would have been just about on the money for today's session). Needless to say I'd forgotten which path I had taken that time and ended up on the right path for our normal sunday route. I got to the bottom of the woods and to the second car park then must have gone wrong somewhere as I stopped recognising things. I figured that so long as I went uphill I must be going in the right direction and this worked for a while until I got to a cross roads that I'd never been on before. Luckily I'd just passed a guy walking his dog so I stopped to wait for him to catch me up so I could ask for directions. I was in fact going the right way (which is miraculous given that I have no sense of direction!!). Just a little while later I recognised the path again and veered off back to the big car park.

• Options

ctd...

My lack of direction had somehow cut the route short and I got back to Sansom with half an hour still to run, so I cut back to the lake and did an extra loop and a half of the bottom lake before heading back to Burnt Stump. The lovely long sweeping downhill was now reversed into an evil neverending uphill drag, but the theme to Ghostbusters came on my ipod at the bottom of it (which is great to run to) so I cranked up the volume and used the beat to power me up the hill. The hill is so long that the song ended before I reached the top. Luckily it was replaced by Aerosmith's Dude Looks Like A Lady, which kept me going back to the car park where I had to do half a lap to get the watch to 1 hour 40 mins and 4 seconds. How's that for timing?!

I walked around the carpark for a while (listening to Thriller) to cool down before doing my stretches, drinking my Lucozade Recovery. Turned the ipod off when Iron Maiden's Run To The Hills came on, figure I might be needing that for my next solo long run!

It was supposed to be between 8 and 9 pace so I had set the Virtual Partner for 8.30 pace. I beat him, but only just!

11.82 miles in 100 mins (and 4 seconds), avg pace 8.28, avg HR 161. I'm quite pleased with that.

I came home and transplanted my second set of tomato plants into the grow bag (my first ones are going great guns already and are covered in green tomatoes. I wish they'd hurry up and ripen!) Did a bit of pruning so that I can actually get up and down my path and sat down here to type while the water heats up for my bath.

I've had a snack of 2 Weetabix with skimmed milk and brown sugar, followed by a Lucozade Energy Bar. The nutrition for the rest of the day will be going seriously downhill!

The BBQ supposedly starts at 2pm but I got there early last year and was the only one there, so this year I shall be fashionably late!

• Options

Oh, and...

Nike Sport Band arrived this morning. It looks like a lovely little thing but of course only works with the shoes. I'm worried I won't be able to wear the shoes as I was never able to wear Nike as a kid. I really wanted a pair cos everyone else had them, and that's important when you're 10, but the instep was just in the wrong place for me. I have freaky feet. They're really narrow and really shallow (and I pronate into the bargain). Mind you, I have a Garmin 405 already so I don't really need another gismo, but it looks so nice!

• Options

You dont need the shoes SG - you can get a neoprene pouch to tie the sensor onto your shoe laces for about a fiver from ebay. Check out the challenges on the nike plus website, some are good fun to get involved with.

Great thread, am enjoying reading about your progress.  You all are doing so well image

• Options
    Loved your report today - all those song reference points were great!!! I love all that stuff and it is really inspiring to run to I agree. Have a great BBQ and night out - sounds tip top!
  • Options

I didn't get my trophy cos the girl who won it last year hasn't returned it. And I didn't get my night out cos my drinking buddy bailed on me.

• Options

Well done on the run but you went too far - those extra 4 seconds will leave you tired for the rest of the week.

Agree, very interesting and informative report

Sorry you didn't get your trophy or your night out. means you can do the long run again!

The Colin Jackson programme was called Colin Jackson: the making of Me

• Options

Blimey, I'm up at the same time as Steve. Must be time I went to bed!

The Colin Jackson thing musn't be on iplayer or On Demand. Shame, I fancied watching that.

Do the run again tomorrow??? You cheeky nowt! (That's a Geordie phrase by the way, for those who don't know - means something like 'you cheeky b*****.')

I intend to spend tomorrow sleeping, doing chores and reading. I need to sleep off all the antioxidants.

• Options
    Sorry you didn't get your night out CC2 - I know you were looking forward to it.... image
  • Options

Holy Moo - I didn't realise that it was that late/early image

-looks at watch-

-goes to check GNR thread-

-heads for bed after that-

• Options

OK, I hope this doesn't break the page...

<object classid="clsidimage27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0" height="350"><param name="height" value="350" /><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="undefined" height="350"></embed></object> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XB5rPfo2Ox4"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XB5rPfo2Ox4" width="425" height="350"></embed> ',width:100,height:100" width="100" height="100" />
  • Options
    Hmm, that didn't work did it?!
  • Options

Try again...

Hopefully this is me receiving my plaque for winning last year's Grand Prix. No trophy though because last year's winner still has it. image