Options

A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

Comments

• Options

imageGood morning yet again peeps image

Vard - what do you mean going backwards? Maybe you are just stuck in a rat of same route/training/timetable and just need to mix things up a bit..

Heather - I tend to go to my local running shop. They are ace in there too. It is so nice when you can trust a sales person! How are the new shoes doing?

WM - that is still an awesome pace for someone who was struggling. It is a price we pay when we run with people, but it is worth it, especially as sooner or later the table will turn, at least for me it does image

Rob - Hope all is OK image

HY4 - your Sunday sounds excellent! Are you really considering ditching the 10k races though? Surely if you can 5 miles in training you will be able to do 10k in a race...

Paul - What an awesome run. The thunderstorm must have been an experience and your pace is super for a long run! Whoop whoop to you image

Cowgirl H - Awesome time!

Daveo2011 - Hope your legs are not too bad today image

I had an awesome weekend! Ran 10 miles Friday - very slow (10.30mm) but I was still happy! Sunday, I started with the usual group in just under 10mm. At 4.60 miles we were overtaken by the fast group and me and the other guy joined in. At 5 miles they stopped to explain about the route on the day and tell us off for having no water and we headed back. The difference was immense. I was falling back swiftly. At 7 miles the guy I was running with said he is going to push it and within minutes he was off like a bullet, way ahead. I tried to keep up as best I can and finished the 10 miles with an average pace of 9.30mm. The second half must have been fast!!! I considered going back to the slow group but was told not to be silly and push myself, so next Sunday Im doing 11 miles with the fast group - EEK! image

AAA - 31.6/100

• Options
    "Daveo2011 - Hope your legs are not too bad today"

Owwwwwwwwwwww! image
  • Options

WM great LSR timw.

Cowgirl, thats nearly my PB from 2 yrs ago I am much slower now.

Paul great longest run image I love the buzz of doing a longest/fastest!!

Daveo hills kill me when I run but not usually in the aftermath!!

Sorry if I have missed you out great running everyone else.

After my LSR on thurs I planned a short run the next day but my legs were a bit creeky so I decided some gym cross training was the best Idea. After 20min cycle and all my abs and legs strength work I decided I could handle a 4k on the dready. Felt good.

Been busy over the weekend. Got an unexpected free couple of hour this tea tme so plan 7.5miler whilst I can. Tues = gym with 2.5m run, Wed 2.5m run before pilates class then away for the weekend at a music festival with the kids (see you there Ado) then I hope to do a small run next Monday (if I have the energy)

Enjoy your running this week peeps!!

• Options

Some good running going on

DM - Good luck with run tonight  and hope you have a fab weekend at the festival.

WM - Fab time

Paul - Well done on your longest run.

Daveo - Hope your legs are ok.... I hate it when they hurt...

Cowgirl - Welcome and fab time...

ShiYa - Sounds like you had a good running weekend.... well done especially on the 10miles at 9.30mm.....

Vard - Are you signed up for a race - maybe that would give you some focus back?

HY4 - Well done on the run - hope you get your swim in soon...

I had a good weekend run (for once). I planned to do a 15.5 mile route that I had such a battle with 3 weeks ago. Last time (2hrs 49m 44s)  I wanted to stop after 2 but my stubbornness pushed me through last time. This time was soooo different. Miles 2-5 were over 10mm with 5 being 10.29..... I told myself I wasn't allowed to drop to 11mm and from out of nowhere my speed just came from nowhere. My slowest was 10.06...... with most of them being under 10mm...... I managed 15.5 miles in 2hrs 34m 51s with an average of 9.59mm..... hope I can do that on the day and then just get round the last 10.7 miles...... Fetch then gave me a predicted time of 4.48 for the day. I would be so chuffed to do the marathon in that time.....

This week is my highest mileage week. I'm planning on 22 on Saturday. So will hit between 47-50 miles in total.....  Don't know what I'll do with myself when I start cutting back....

AAA 42/140 

• Options

Well done Chrissie great running.

Not had much to report as have been a bit off colour last week and didn't run too well. Went out last night and did a slow 7 but it was a run. Was supposed to go again tonight but too tired and trying for once not to push when I am not really up to it. Will do a club session tomorrow night.

Well done ShiYa you are braver than me I can never really push myself very hard...

Hope your new shoes are ok Heather I have had trouble on the past and now have a new pair to break in have yet to run in them yet they are the latest model of the ones I have been running in very comfortable but different to my previous ones.

HY4 hope your panning is going ok...

Good running everyone else...

• Options

Chin up Flo....going out and doing 7 is an achievement. Hope you feel better soon.

Excellent time on such a distance Chrissie I dont think a marathon will ever be on my agenda.

Just back from my 7.55 as it turned out and I really enjoyed that run, felt like nothing could stop me, amazing the benefit you feel from a long run (8.6 from last week) when you go out and do longer milage. Also I really feel like my lungs have totally said goodbye to the years of abuse ( you all nearly forgot eh been over 2 months fag free and never looked back). I just ran 7.55miles in 1:7:58 which is dead on 9min miles. My 10k time was 56:04. I am sooo pleased. I cant believe how much I have come on this last month after getting back on the road regularly. I must keep this up, toyong with Hilton 10k Sept 3rd, it was my first ever race in 2008 and I ran it in 1:01:27, it flat and I just wonder what I am capable of now? I know my Fradley 54:19 is unbeatable but feel fab just now.

• Options

Welcome and well done Cowgirl.  Great 1st result.

Paul - have sent you friend request on fb.

DM - go on enter that race, you know you want to really

http://smilies/wink_smiley.gif

ShiYa wrote (see)

WM - that is still an awesome pace for someone who was struggling. It is a price we pay when we run with people, but it is worth it, especially as sooner or later the table will turn, at least for me it does image

That's why we've hooked up together.  We have both been struggling this year but our PBs are fairly similar so we're just helping each other along.  I'm sure if I'd been on my own I would have been slower!

Did a tempo run this evening - 1 mile warm up, 3 miles at just under 9 min miles, then 0.85 mile cool down.  Felt good! 

AAA = 20.74 / 70

• Options
    Ado.Ado. ✭✭✭
    I've just run three miles as a pacesetter! Streuth!
    It felt so good to be helping someone else instead of the run being me, me, me! The feedback from my running buddy was very positive and the fact that she is really fired up now for her second ever 10k in September, has given me a real buzz!

Good running everyone. Believe in yourself if you're facing big challenges...don't give in!

Good news on the filthy weed DM. Don't fall off the wagon at Summer Sundae!

Welcome one and all to the new people! Stick with the gang on here, they're fab and will always give support, encouragement and good advice.
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Cowgirl,

Hi & well done.  That's a good time.

Debbie,

Well done regarding the smoking.

ShiYa,

I theoretically I could get round a 10k with doing 5 miles, however this is a hilly 10k (worse than the 5 mile race I did in June apparently) and I want to make sure I enjoy it so am looking at being able to do about 8-9 miles at least once before the race and to get up to about 7 miles this month.

Chrissie,

The swim is now bookmarked for Thursday.

• Options

DM - Which festival are you going to? Your run sounds pure magic! 9mm for 7.55 mm sounds like a dream come true to me! And whoop whoop hurray for your not smoking imageimageimageimage

ChrissieT - What an awesome run! Don't you just love it when a plan comes together? What are you doing in the middle of the week? Do you do speed sessions as well?

Flo Po - Hope you are feeling better! You need to listen to your body or you risk an injury... As to the brave thing. I am trying! Pushing yourself out of your comfort zone is not nice but hopefully it will make me a tad faster... I am so scared ahead of next Sunday though...

WM - It is strange how running with people makes us faster...

Ado - Whoop whoop for your pace-setting ways imageimageimageimage

HY4 - You can do it though. If you put your mind to it you will be all ready on the starting line image

I was asked last night whether I would like to try some track running for next year's season. I don't think I'm fast enough though. I love the long distances where you can settle in at you leisure. Track running need to be fast from the go...

AAA - 31.6/100 as running around the field at various paces dont count

• Options

ShiYa - all running counts..... image

I don't do any speed sessions as such - but I run with a guy who is faster than me which then pushes my pace up so I guess I do a tempo run or two a week. But after my marathon in September and half in October I plan to work on some speed sessions to try to get me under the 2 hours for the Silverstone half in March......

FP - sorry you're feeling under the weather - hope you feel better soon.

Heather - Hope the running shoes are ok, good luck with the plan for the week.

HY4 - enjoy your swim and I'm sure you'll be able to do your hilly 10k.

Ado - well done on your pace setting.... I do that for a guy on a Thursday who is training for Brum half in October. I've managed to get him above 8 miles now. He's on holiday this week and will be pushing him a little further when he gets back to ensure he's ready for the big day..... It's a great feeling though....

I did a 7.5 mile run last night, it felt great. 9.39mm average. Hopefully the good form will continue until the end of this hard week..... then at least I can take some confidence into the marathon.

AAA 49.5/140

• Options
    I really had to push myself to go out for my run today, I don't know why but I had no motivation. Planned a speedwork session and took every ounce of willpower not to give up on interval 3 of 6. I'm on holiday this week so I don't know if that is contributing to my lethargy combined with knowing it was going to be a hard session but I'm glad I pushed through it.

WM - I've accepted your friend request on Facebook.

Chrissie - great pace on your run.

Heather - good luck with the new shoes.

Debbie - Great running and well done on giving up the fags, I gave up 10 years ago and it was the best thing I ever did.

Daveo - I hope your legs are better, a good hint is try and eat something high in carbs and protein within 15 minutes after a hard/long run. A peanut butter sandwich is perfect. They say there is a 15 minute "Golden Time" that the body super replenishes muscle carbs and protein and it's almost miraculous in stopping muscles hurting.

AAA - 21.4/80
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

ShiYa,

I think I'll more than likely be doing it but I just want to get a good time and I've got a week off just after my 5k where I've said to Chris that I'm not going to do any running while we're on holiday as we're visiting his parents and we don't get to see them very often.  I'm also mindful of my hip niggle especially running quicker over hilly courses.

Paul,

Well done.  Another good post race thing is chocolate milk.

• Options
    Legs weren't too bad in the end. No real aches or pains to speak of, just a bit full of wet sand! Nice hilly 29min 5k around a forest trail this evening, very pleasant! Good tip on the recovery meal, I'll try it!

Paul - yeah I hate those days when it's just not there.

AAA 25.75/100 (km)
  • Options

ChrissieT - Half in under 2 hours is most certainly the next challenge!

Paul - Well done in doing such hard workout when you so didn't feel like it. It is so mind over body sometimes...

Daveo2011 - I agree with Paul as to the snack after training! Since I started having my recovery drink after running I have less pains and I don't feel as destroyed! I normally only take it when I have training after running and it used to kill me, but now I get over it faster and better! I use the recovery drink as I need something fast and I cannot even think of food after a run, if you can a snack with a ratio of 1 protein to 3 carbs is perfect too!

HY4 - sometimes taking a week off is good. It means you can get back all rested image

Ran with the running club in the park last night! I felt all tired and heavy hurty legs. Tried to tell myself my legs feel fine as apperantly running is all in the mind and if you fill your mind with negative things it will end up believing it, but it was still so so hard. When it was over though I looked at my Garmin to discover I had a super good pace which cheered me up no end - 9.10mm - for me that is amazing!

AAA - 37.6/100

• Options
    HY4 wrote (see)

Another good post race thing is chocolate milk.

image Yuk.  Not keen on chocolate and detest milk!
  • Options

Not too well today and got kids so packing for the weekend.

Managed a 4.5m run on the dready yesterday (+10min on bike and 20 lengths) bringing AAA 24.3/50 best milage so far this year.

• Options

Bad news on my new running shoes - they were returned to the shop yesterday image  I did the treadmill on Monday and by about 25 minutes I could feel them rubbing on my big toes.  I do have a new plan though.  I was reading on one of the other forums about blisters etc, and someone had recommended trying toe end cushions.  They are like a mini sock for your toe - material on the outside and a gel layer on the inside.  I tried them last night (using my old running shoes) and the results were good.  I only had slight rubbing pain in my right toe, left one was fine.

I'm thinking of going to see a sports podiatrist to see if there is something in my running style that is causing this.  I don't think it is the shoes - I've had three different brands (with varying support) over the last six weeks all do the same thing.  It'll have to wait till after my holiday - and that should help too.  For the first week of the holiday I can't do any running at all (will be on a dive boat), so I'm hoping that will help the blisters heal completely.  Running every other day isn't letting that happen at the moment.

Last night's run - I found it so hard.  Had I not been out with the running group then I would have given up and gone home.  As it was I persevered and managed to run (very slow jog) up the two steep hills at the end.  Running club is definitely a good thing for me.

On track to do my planned activities this week.  Had PT session this morning.  Just need to fit in a long run tomorrow morning before we go off camping for the weekend.  I fear it might get dropped or cut short as we haven't even started packing yet and I'm out tonight.

• Options

Heather, have you tried the double layer socks?  Since I started using them, I haven't had a blister!

The other thing is what size are your trainers compared to your normal shoes?  My Brooks that I currently use are one and a half sizes bigger than my normal size, and the Saucony's I had before were one size bigger.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Heather,

There's another vote for the double layer socks here.

ShiYa,

That's good going.  Well done.

• Options
    Went for a 3 mile steady run today on a new route from my Mother's house (she was kind enough to watch the kids for me so I could do a run). Route ended up being a 16m/mile incline hilly route and I don't get on with hills too well but I found it easier than I thought and averaged 9.50/mile (my steady zone is between 9.50 - 10.20) so I was happy with that. I have come to the conclusion that I run best in the rain because all my good runs seem to be when it's raining.
    It's going to be an awkward weekend for my running, I have a family event on Saturday Evening which invariably involves copious bottles of wine then on Sunday I am down my local because it's first weekend of the premiership and I won the top scorer competition for last year so every other participant has to buy me a drink (about 10 participants). Somewhere in all that I have to fit in an 8 mile LSR which I think is going to have to be early Sunday morning. So weekend plan is:

Friday: 3 mile Recovery Run followed by Swimming (with the kids so probably not much actual swimming)
    Saturday: partying
    Sunday am: 8 mile LSR
    Sunday pm: Copious amounts of Alcohol (there goes my good diet)

Heather: - Could the shoes be a little to big or small causing the blisters? I normally wear a 7 - 7.5 in a shoe but found I needed an 8.5 in my running shoes to fit properly. Have fun camping, I hope you have better weather than we have in Wales at the moment.

Debbie - well done on the best mileage image keep it going.

AAA: 24.4/80

• Options

Hill session at club tonight.  2 min efforts up cardiac hill x5 for me (was meant to be x6 but I'd had enough!).  I didn't start at the very bottom but still couldn't reach the top.  Then again even our fast guys couldn't get to the top in 2 minutes! Distance covered in each effort : 0.20, 0.21, 0.20, 0.23, 0.22 miles!  The last 2 efforts I was determined to stay with a fellow runner!

AAA = 25.33 / 70

• Options

Heather try to use body glide or Vaseline on the area you get blisters once they are healed it stops the rubbing...I also wear one size bigger.

Yay a good run tonight 6 miles in an hour and found it easy....

Paul I too have wine cooling for tomorrow night so will give Sat a miss and hopefully get a long one in on Sunday.

I love running in the rain too summer rain that is it isn't so nice in the winter.

AAA  33/100 behind schedule this month so bit of catching up to do...

• Options

A little speed work today, 2x4 mins hard in the middle of 4.5km/25:00.  I did some legs at the gym yesterday (saw the articles in the mag about avoiding injury so I've decided to start making sure I do some core strength and leg exercises when I hit the gym, where usually I just to upper body stuff.. may help my speed and endurance too eh image ), as such my legs were a bit stiff and I found it slow going.  Maybe best to avoid the weights the day before a hard run, I don't know, I guess it's all good in the end!  I was trying to focus on my form (mag article again!) but it almost seemed to take more energy to run that way.  Could have been the tired legs of course.  Anyway, tomorrow's an off day, then a slow 5k on Sat, and 13 on sunday is the plan. 

Heather - my toe got a bit sore today after reading your post!  I plan to just stick a plaster on it before I next go out.

AAA 30.25/100 (km)

• Options

DM and Heather - Have a good weekend, may the weather gods be kind to you image

Heather - Like everyone else I wear bigger running shoes. In my case 2 sizes bigger! I also used the blister plasters in the past and they are awesome. I had an evil blister come up before a 9 miles race and could only do it thanks to the blister plaster thing!

Paul - Your weekend sounds like fun. Just make sure you fully hydrate before you go on that run...

WM - We have a cardiac hill in Sutton Park and it is eveil! If your is as half as evil as ours (which Im sure it is) Im very well impressed image

Daveo2011- Lol! Was so worried for you with your planned 13 on Sunday but than I realised you were talking km not miles. Make so much more sense...

Sorry for everyone else I missed image

Went for a run yesterday with one of the girls from my club. She tends to start fast so I always find the begining of every run with her so hard. It is probably good for me though. She broke towards the end though and started walking, poor thing. On investigation it appeared she didnt fuel enough. Eggs for lunch, no carbs and nothing since. Once we had half a mile left and she knew where she was going I ran to our cars and came back with water. We still manages 6.6 miles - very hilly - at just under 10mm.

Tonight a chilled 10 miles on my own and sunday Im back to Kenilworth for a hellish 11 miles. Just to stay in the spirit of this thread, Im also out tonight image

AAA - 44.2/100

• Options

DM & Heather - The weather seems to be ok for the weekend, I hope they've got it right.

Heather - I also wear 1 size bigger for my running trainers. Blister plasters are ace (Compeed are the best ones I think) They help the healing process too....

Paul - Enjoy your boozy weekend....... Why don't you do your long run on Saturday morning before all the alcohol starts flowing - that way you know you don't have to get up on Sunday to run with a hangover.....

Daveo2011 - I think the best advice is to have a rest day after weights so I used to try and plan a hard run the day before weights and then on days I had weights I would do a recovery run to help loosen off.

WM - Sounds like a good sesssion.....

FP - Good run - glad you're feeling better.

ShiYa - Good luck for run in Kenilworth. Enjoy tonight's run....

I've had a good week running wise any way (work a nightmare at the moment)...... Did 9.15m on Wednesday which involved 3 large hills followed by 6.5 last night. Gearing up today for my last BIG run before starting to cut back in time for my marathon. 22 planned - hopefully will be a good run. If it goes as well as last Saturday when I did 15.5 I'll be feeling very confident for the big day.....

AAA 65.15/140

Have a good weekend everyone and good luck for everyone's runs. image

• Options

Just catching up on the last few threads.  I sometimes get lower back ache when I run.  It's definitely a posture thing, when I lean forward too much when I'm getting tired.  If I re-focus on my posture and straighten up a bit (and relax my arms!) then it gets better.

Daveo - I'm following a 12 week plan to get me doing a 10 mile run, and that only has one speedwork session a week.  Like Paul's plan, the number of repetitions or the distance increases over the weeks.

I went out with the running club last night.  First Wednesday of the month is the time trial.  It's 9km in the summer.  I did it in 54 mins 39 secs - almost two minutes faster than I did it last month.  Really surprised.  I was hoping to knock about 30 seconds off the time and do a sub-56 minute time.  And it was really hot too, so really pleased!

Had my personal training session this morning and did some cross training beforehand.  Couple of days off now (my sister is visiting for the weekend), and then I'll do my long run on Sunday.

• Options
    Good luck ChrissieT! Hope it is a ggod one image
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Dave,

That sounds good going for your 5k.

Heather,

Enjoy your weekend.

--------

Good luck for everyone's runs.

• Options

Took my sister in law out for a quick 5k today - she's just getting back into it* and was always one for a gentle pace so the first 1.5k was about 6:30/km.  Then we got to the field and I left her to do some stretching.  I think the couple of tough days midweek put a spring in my step cos I did over 1000m at 4:45/km and the second km at about 5:15.  1.5k home at a trot, for 5km in ~30:00.  Probably not quite as gentle as it was supposed to be given that I have my LSR tomorrow and I think the girls want to go for a bit of a hike this afternoon... but my legs wanted to stretch and who am I to argue? image

*yes, I'm an inspiration to all my family!  If only I could get my wife back off the sofa, she seems to have lost interest again the last week or so.

AAA 35.25/100 (km)

Heather - congrats on the 9km time, that's great image