Options

Great North West Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Am driving down from Newcastle for this run. Room for a passenger if anyone needs a lift on the day.
  • Options

Michael

Start at the hilton, run down to about south shore, turn, run up to roughly short of Bispham then back to hilton or somewhere along those lines.

Done it twice and it is a bit of a variation - it is pretty flat, with some very minor fluctations, you won;t get lost and apart form the sea there aint a lot to look at. It's just one of those, why am I running in blackpool in february type runs.

Still, generally good fun if you share the misery with your friends.

• Options

GTC - That was the route for the other Blackpool Half. I've done the February one twice and both times it's gone from the Hilton to North Pier, then doubled back along the lower prom to Bispham, then back along the upper walk to the start, and round again for the second lap.

But I prefer your route of the two - there's more to see image

• Options
    Thanks GTC, so it's one circuit then? I thought I'd read somewhere that it might be laps and I'm not mad keen on races with laps.
  • Options
    it is two laps from the Hilton to the North pier, back north to Bispham then back to the north pier and round again.
  • Options

It's confusing cos Blackpool has 2 half-marathons. Don't worry Michael -we'll not let you carry on down to the Pleasure Beach!

Well, not till later anyway image

• Options

Hi guys - looks like we could have a convey for the virgin sub-2hr sloggers.

Xan (85) i'll look out for you, aint got me number yet.

Poorly feet - we appear to have something in common (well nearly)  - hoping to do my first marathon next year before the big 5-0, so getting lots of half marathons behind me - this will be me 4th in 5 months and have booked the Liverpool half in March.

Although if am honest the thought of running the distance AGAIN after completing a half is very daunting since i am usually completed depleted by the end of a half.

I probably need to start doing some long runs (16Miles plus) to get acclimatized.

And what Marathon do you do for your first - am stilling deliberating!!!

• Options

my first half, and i'm hoping for around 2hrs too!

can't remember what my number is tho!

• Options

Hooray my number arrived this morning, must be 1 of the last... ukresults was saying "race full" so entered through RWorld and got 1458, so must be only a few left!!!

I did Blackpool half last April and it must have been the other 1. It was just 1 lap for the half and 2 for anyone silly enough to want to do 2 laps, lol.

I'm among the group of people wanting to do a marathon, I just don't do enough milage in a week at the mo, so would struggle to get around.

Where is the marathon in Sept, Debbie? I'll have to get around to doing one soon image

• Options

To save me reading back through the thread whilst at work, do I assume correctly that there will be pacers here?

I'm taking this as a training run at 6:24-6:51/mile, but a couple of pacers would see me break that!

I ran Worksop in 1:29, so without the hills it'll be fine without any wind (please!)

Everyone else got a cup full of tuppences for the family to throw in the slots whilst you race and shower, before getting some Fish and Chips!

• Options

DJ

For your first marathon choose one that you really want to do - just in case you don;t get the bug. I did Paris, it was amazing. don't do a low key one because you want that first one to be special so go for the razzmataz and it will help you through.

UK wise - London / Edinburgh / Shakespear (although might be 2 laps) - there are loads out there.

• Options

Hi

I'm down for this half and really looking forward to it. This will only be my third half having done the GNR twice. I'm doing my first marathon in april (Paris) so will use this as a training run, never thought i would be saying that. Not saying blackpool will be easy, but every mile helps. 

• Options

Poet - pacers yes.

Tuppences? You'll be lucky - take a bucket full of 10p's!

And I'm having donuts afterwards image

• Options

err...what's the references to tuppences and 10ps....is there something I should know? (not done this race before) (it's my first half marathon!)

When you are saying you run to Bispham, is there a landmark there? Is Bispham before or after Gin Square...am checking out the route on Google Earth.

• Options
    David Jones 62 wrote (see)

Hi guys - looks like we could have a convey for the virgin sub-2hr sloggers.

Xan (85) i'll look out for you, aint got me number yet.

Poorly feet - we appear to have something in common (well nearly)  - hoping to do my first marathon next year before the big 5-0, so getting lots of half marathons behind me - this will be me 4th in 5 months and have booked the Liverpool half in March.

Although if am honest the thought of running the distance AGAIN after completing a half is very daunting since i am usually completed depleted by the end of a half.

I probably need to start doing some long runs (16Miles plus) to get acclimatized.

And what Marathon do you do for your first - am stilling deliberating!!!

I am thinking of doing my first marathon and Dublin in October seems tolook good, injuries the last couple of years have hampered my efforts.. It is easy to enter, very flat and from the write ups has a great atmosphere...   I am hoping to go for 2hrs or under but I aint optomistic... I am gonna stay with the 9 minute mile pacers for as long as I can....  I am doing Liverpool too.

No Mas image

• Options

Blackpool's full of amusement arcades which will swiftly relieve you of all the loose change in your pockets if you're not careful!

Bispham's after Gynn Square but as for landmarks.....

....there's a cafe with brill cream cakes but I doubt that's on Google Earth

• Options
    ha ha...well gee thanks for that - very helpful...I'll do a search, you never know!
  • Options

This is really sad but I''m sure this is it:-

Cafe

• Options
    JPAtko wrote (see)

Where is the marathon in Sept, Debbie? I'll have to get around to doing one soon image

Yorkshireman off-road marathon in Haworth. Jumping in with both feet I am!

• Options
    David - most people would say go for a flat roadie for your first but as the Yorkie is for walkers too, no-one will notice if I stroll for a bit and take in the scenery image
  • Options

well this is even sadder cos I think my nan used to work in that cafe in the 1980's! no way!! She lived just off Red Bank Road - they did lush cakes back then!

Am definately gonna check that out....aww, am all sentimental now!

• Options

And this was supposed to be a thread about a race!

Much prefer cake discussions myself image. The same cafe is at Cleveleys and that's the one where I usually indulge in a cream cake after a walk along the prom from Fleetwood. I'm getting all wistful now, yearning for those heady summer days.

Whereas in reality I'm just about to go for a run in the frost!

• Options

Hello all

Looking for some advice from anyone who has done this before about where to park before the race.  Sorry if this has been talked about earlier on the thread but didn't have time to read through all the posts to see what the crack was!  Ideally somewhere near the start and not too far off the main routes into Blackpool.

Cheers image

• Options
    try harry ramsdens chippy   lovely food there
  • Options

OLD croc

either  road above the hilton hotel   or gynn square cap park   £2.50 for 12 hours

• Options

Croc - page 11 of this thread had the car park discussion if you want to take a look....

I'm too lazy to copy and paste! image

I don't like Harry Ramsden's chips - they don't taste like proper chippy chips to me.

• Options

I don't like Harry Ramsden's either - they taste like the ready meal version!

So, where's the best chippy on the Promenade? Or, are they all as bad as each other? Hailing from Whitby, people say the Magpie Cafe is the best, but I used to work at Terry's and prefer their old other restaurant (new owner now) The Khyber Cafe. Also Trenchers near the train station gets the local vote. Then Fusco's for takeaway on Baxtergate.

Nowadays, I'm a regular at Tucker's in Matlock Bath image

• Options

Well if you're from Whitby, no-one else's fish 'n' chips will ever compare! I've seen the queues for "that" chippy in Whitby, but as it's usually summer when I go there, I stick to ice-cream image

I've no personal recommendations for Blackpool chippies but as someone said earlier, after 13 miles they'll taste like nectar wherever they're from.

Maybe we should seek advice from the seagulls - they're always pulling chip wrappers out of bins for scraps so I reckon they're pretty much the experts on the matter image

• Options
    Poorly Feet wrote (see)

Well if you're from Whitby, no-one else's fish 'n' chips will ever compare! I've seen the queues for "that" chippy in Whitby, but as it's usually summer when I go there, I stick to ice-cream image

I've no personal recommendations for Blackpool chippies but as someone said earlier, after 13 miles they'll taste like nectar wherever they're from.

Maybe we should seek advice from the seagulls - they're always pulling chip wrappers out of bins for scraps so I reckon they're pretty much the experts on the matter image

I always have a pint of Guiness in The Littern Tree, it is across the road from The Cenotaph opposite the Walkabout bar.....  If I ate fish and chips after 13.1 it would be fatal for my bowels image.  I will have to stick to the Black stuff!!  It's a nice feeling with my medal round my neck and a shiny pint in my hand..

No Mas image

• Options
    It's alright when you don't have to drive home!