Options

Great North West Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options

Blackpool car parks

Talbot Road multi-storey is where I'm going to try first. Parked at Banks Street last time cos Talbot Road was shut when I arrived. There's about a 10 min walk to the start but it's cheap! The expensive one is behind the Sea Life Centre which is the main one you come to if you stay on the M55 to the end. There is some on-street parking near the start but I once saw a householder getting really snotty with a runner who parked in "their" spot so I'm not prepared to risk leaving my car somewhere it's not welcome!

This race was my first half in 2004 and it's still my PB.I loved it and I'm sure you will. Just pray for good weather - it makes a huge difference at the seaside!

Good luck, Debbie

• Options

Thanks a lot! Will forward on this info. Parents tend to follow a sat nav but its not always the most uptodate,so parking could have been a problem.

On which road does the race start though? Im guessing its quite obvious after you park..follow the other runners! image

Yeah I was thinking that, I spose with a strong wind, you could get drenched...right? From the waves?

God I hope it doesnt rain! Either way, will be great to chill out in Blackpool after and go and get some food.

Thanks for helping

• Options

The race starts on the promenade outside the Hilton Hotel. The road is called North Promenade I think.

I Googled it and one of the links put the hotel in the wrong place so the link above is the one I'm heading for!

I like to think the race date fits in with low tide as the tide does come over the sea wall at times. Seems I'm right on that one - phew!

Blackpool tides

So it should only be the rain that gets you - unless you're still running at 16:27!

• Options

HAHAHA nice one image

I doubt that! Cheers, I spose its nice to know we wont get covered in salt water! By the way the weather was in Brum today, lets hope it doesnt bloody snow. ahaha

Enjoy your Sunday!

• Options

You too image

And your Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday...

We've got a bit of a covering of snow up here but not enough for snowball fights image

• Options

poorly

there is gynn square car park    £2.50 for 12 hours

got a little bit of a jog today    but then got a blister on the same heel as the ankle I  broke

was going to go down to meerbrooke near leek for a walk but to cold and it is snowed aswell and that road between leek and buxton  gets steep in places

was listing to jazz fm on my lap top last night

• Options

I suppose I like to park nearer town so that I can go and indulge in donuts afterwards.

Bad luck on the blister - plasters tomorrow!

• Options

got one on now   and hospital check up    bus that comes here stops right outside hospital

I love drinking latties   the kenco one

got 3 boxes on friday for 93p each

• Options
    Don't drink caffeine at this time of night - you'll never get to sleep!
  • Options
    Richard - Don't worry about waves, snow, sleet or rain- what really hurts (well me anyway) is a strong headwind!  Its like .............<tremble, shudder> running up hill!  Also I don't like extreme heat, but somehow don't think that will be a problem!  image
  • Options

I don't want to worry anyone, but the website has disappeared image

Used to be at www.runblackpool.co.uk but the account has expired

• Options
    I'm sure it is just a blip - I've got my number.
  • Options

Mrs Doubtfire

I am an 11+ runner/walker! My longest run so far is 8miles, this is the 2nd half marathon I've done and the last 1 was 10yrs and 3 stone lighter ago! eek!!

I'm looking forward to it  but dead nervous that I'm going to end up walking 5miles and it'll be dark by the time i get to finish...

• Options
    Ahh dont worry Clare we can plod along together!!  I will look out for you, I am number 97, and I am a bit chubby.  Am expecting everyone else to be elite runners who weigh roughly the same as a dry weetabix LOL
  • Options

I'm not elite and definitely weigh more than somw dry weetabix!

I'm number 6 and will be wearing a purple and green Elvet Striders vest and a buff of some description (not sure which one though). My lovely wife is helping out probably at the end giving out goddy bags or sandwiches so, even if I do manage to be in front of you at the finish, I will still be there to cheer you on image

• Options

Starting to look forward to this now! My training has picked up a notch and I'm now getting out four or five times a week. Hoping to do better than 2h15m that I got in Helsby but will be happy just to run all the way round without stopping!

Anyone know a good chip shop near the race finish?

R

• Options
    WRW....I,m sure any chip shop will do. After running 13miles, they will taste like nectar.
  • Options
    Yeah and Blackpool is the home of the chippy!!!!
  • Options

I've got a question...I've got no pockets in my running gear (so can't carry my phone)...how do I find my husband at the end of the race? Any tips?

• Options
    try harry ramsdens near the tower  great fish and chips there
  • Options

Clare

He should be waiting for you at the finish line! If not, suggest he meets you at the entrance to the Hilton car park. It's not that massive and you should find each other.

• Options

poorly

done over 2 hours walking today   and felt ok all the way

• Options

He better had be at the finish line! I've only done 1 half marathon before and it was GNR so was totally heaving...would never have seen him at finish....I take it this will be easier to spot people?

• Options
    Clare, I bought a runners bumbag from my local running shop, its brilliant, holds my phone, inhaler, keys and a bit of money.  I use it every time I run.  It was a bit pricey at 22 quid or so, but I wouldnt be without it!!  It fits round my waist nice and snug, dousnt bounce up and down or anything...
  • Options
    Clare Unsworth wrote (see)

He better had be at the finish line! I've only done 1 half marathon before and it was GNR so was totally heaving...would never have seen him at finish....I take it this will be easier to spot people?

Oh yeah!  Tons easier!!  By the time us 11 min milers finish it will be deserted, apart from the odd bit of tumbleweed blowing across the road LOL
  • Options
    ha ha...so I can run into his arms and he can carry me back to the car....(we'd need St John's Ambulance for his hernia mind!)
  • Options
    The snow we've had in Yorkshire is really annoying me...had got upto around 9 miles a week or 2 since but I did a 10K on Sunday so cut down the miles last week for that and this week Ihavent been able to run, with the snow turning icey and the promise of more snow I am going to have to train on the treadmill, but I hate it and barely do more than 5k image
  • Options
    Come to Lancashire - it's all gone from here. Just done 6 mies through the woods and fields and only the odd patch around. And I love the snow...
  • Options
    Will do a swap with you? We are expected to get another 3-4 inches of snow tonight, with some snow also on Friday and Sunday, GRRRRRRRRRRR. Anywho im going to the gym soon an hoping to do around 10k..we will see..
  • Options
    just been to marsden and peel street had not been gritted