Options

Newbies 2

Comments

• Options
    Morning all,

Someone mention cake?

Good stuff Jam. It's coming together again. have you got anything specific you're training for?

Just watch the paces on the smartcoach Em. I found the speed sessions OK, but the tempo paces were a bit quick on the half mara programme I followed from that a couple of years ago. I ended up running the tempo sessions on perceived effort. To be fair, I hadn't done any speed stuff before that so it might have been that I just wasn't used to it.

PITK, the pace will improve naturally as you get more miles under your belt. Don't try to push it too early. I like running with other people as well, and your right, it does stop you thinking about wanting to stop.

BC, the more Newbies the merrier image

LL, whether you need to taper depends on how much training you are doing I guess. It might be worth doing a bit less the week before the race, but it depends how fresh your legs are really.

MD, when are you off to NY?

Last week caught up with me a bit last night. Got home from work and crashed on the sofa watching rubbish TV instead of going to the pool. Really felt shattered. Much better after a good night's sleep, so it'll be a progression run tonight, 15 mins warm, 30 mins HM pace, 15 mins 10k pace, 15 mins cool. It's going to be a hard one image
  • Options

Hi all

No running for me today,

NV - That rest will have done you the world of good, you've got to listen to your body. On paper the tempo paces don't look too bad and fit in with the training and speeds I need to run to get the time I want, whether I can keep up with the reality is another matter, nothing ventured...

Jam - Looks like you are back to your best already, thats some wedding cake for 5 year olds.

PITN - Don't worry about the time of every run you do you will demoralise yourself if you do that as some will be slower than others, your not a machine, time of day, food you've eaten, mental motivation, the weather, all effect your run,  some days go better than others.  I look at my overall average pace as well as the individual splits. Also percieved effort is a good way to rate a run.

Beer Coupons - I hope you both get a place.

LL - Good to see you back.

Happy running all

Em

• Options

morning all, NV I'm heading to NY on Wednesday morning (next week). I am really looking forward to it! image

Jam, all my colleagues were laughing too, i think they are forming the impression that I'm a bit of a dunce...after missing my flight home from france the other weekimage 

I use Endomondo!!!! Its brilliant, particularly if you add people as friends - i'm on there so add me (Mark md6 Donnelly) - then you can set up challenges and things to track your progress - it also tells you how many burgers you have burned off over the year!

gotta go, I'm meant to be workingimage

• Options

Morning All

Well been and attempted intervals again image Think I did ok maybe attempted bit more than I should have but I did 6 x 0.25miles with 2min recovery. its kind of went in 2 blocks the first 3 were 2.08, 2.14, and 2.11 the second 3 were 2.41, 2.39, 2.34 Im thinking maybe keep trying this every week till all 6 are a similar time then take the rest down a little.

Em - Hope Ankle is ok now, good running. you start your plan on my birthday image no better day to start. Hope you have entered the ballot.

Jam - Hope the cake went down well, good 4mile run there! Glad youve entered too. Would be great if we all got a place. yes did 3.5miles lots of painting and pilates yesterday then was asleep by 9pm. Still got lots of painting to do.

Warkie - Hope the knee is ok, have you been to a fizzy yet? whats the verdict?

NV - Welcome back to reality, sounds like youve done some good training there, 200 miles!! My next target im just building distance up so I can run it all without walking bits and try improve on my pace. So far its going ok. As everyone else has said, im sure you will do great, you have put in lots of training.

MD - That is being in plenty of time for a meeting image nevermind. Yep ive entered the ballot for London. Think half my club have too.  Im sure you still know how to swim.

LL - Welcome back image I would just take it easy few days before the event.

Right best get back to the painting

• Options
    Evening all,

I'm on a rest day today by dancing with my 5 year old Georgie to Michael Jackson on the Wii, Very entertaining for both of us.

Claire- I did all my painting and decorating through the Easter Hols, It does get very tiresome after a while. Still just the Downstairs to do during the summer school hols, Mrs JAm would like it all sparkly for when the Baby arrives in Oct. We said it last year, and yes it would be great if we got into London. Fingers Crossed.

MD- And you missed a flight!! sweet jesus, You are running forward and not backwards! Must be all that Learning stuff messing with you head.

NV- Starting a 15week training Prog for HM in Isle of Man at the beginning of Aug, Using Smartcoach template, with a few HAl Higdon bits thrown in. Your session sounds like a goodun, you'll need a cake after that for sure!

Em- Yes the 5 year old are spoilt rotten, but it's all quite sweet, i remember getting married in the play ground when i was 6, don't tell Mrs JAm!! Very good advise for PITK and very true!

PITK- Your very lucky to have folk to run with, i would love to have a running partner, As Em Said, your pace will come with distance, get the latter under your belt first.

Hi to all, out tomorrow for an easy 5 miler.
  • Options

good morning all,

Claire - how is the painting going? over the next few days with the bank holidays i will be painting up the house to try and brighten up the place. i hate diy stuff image

SAO- thats sound advice. i think i was starting to think about the times i was running too much. think i just need to put in a lot more miles before i start worrying about that.

jam - i have real issues running by myself. cant motivate myself not to keep stopping. the first thing i did when i decided i wanted to train for the marathon was find a local running club. its good as well because they have a very wide range of people to run with from the reasonably slow to the amasingly quick.

out with them again tonight for another 5-6 miles. so thats 16-17 miles this week. lol thats the most miles in a week ive ever done in my life

• Options
    Morning all,

Claire, best to try to run the intervals at a similar pace. Bung a recent race time into the Mcmillan running calculator, and it'll give you some realistic paces for the repeats.

Which mara are you doing PITK?

You did IOM last year didn't you Jam?

Never been to NY MD, but it's on my to-do list.

Progression run for me last night. Did 15 mins at 8:50/mile, 30 mins at 7:45, then managed 8 mins at 7:26/mile before my HR spiked, my legs burned out and I had to back off. 10 miles in total, mostly dodging footballs on the cricket pitch I train on sometimes.

• Options

I have tried starting before but normally somthing endes up getting in the way. But im entering the race for like an really hope to keep it up image

My Goals:

1. Lose a bit of weight
    2. Improve my overall fitness (able to run for 30mins+ straight)
    3. Run sucessfully 5K in 6 weeks
    4. Go running atleast every other day
    5. Keep up runningimage
    image xXx
  • Options

nv - i should be doing the london marathon next year. i have applied through the ballot but the charity has also reserved me a place for them if it doesnt work. why do things lightly might as well go straight for the beast

• Options
    Good goals Lizzie. Are you following a plan?

PITK, would be worth getting some race experience at shorter distances as well. I'm up my 4th rejection for London this year. Won't be too sad if I don't get in either.
  • Options
    nv - i have entered a few shorter races. i am doing a 10k in may, 10k in june possibly half marathon in july then possibly do a half every other month or something as well. just to try and rack up as much mileage as possible. im no where near ready for it yet so i need to put in the training
  • Options

ok im a total total noob here,would welcome some input on pace times? ive been training for a 5k and im currently on week one of an eight week training program im doing 1 mile in roughly 10 mins 45 secs thats with a run walk combo,is that good? i as of now id say my goals are...

1) get fit enough to run 5k without collapsing halfway.

2)keep it up even after the race.

3)improve my overall stamina and fitness

4get rid of my jelly butt and thunder thighs...image

• Options
    Hi all, new here, just joined yesterday and started running two weeks ago.just thought id say hi!
  • Options

NV - yer im following a 6 week plan in the run up to the 5k image It looks quite good and hopefully will get me all up and ready to run the Race for LIfe.

Shona and diane - HEYA im a total noob too haha, and our aims sound quite similar @Shona

xXx

• Options

Hi all

Have just come back from the most fantastic run, 12m and I enjoyed it so much. I found somewhere out in the countryside and I was totally on my own, running by forests, and loch's on a track, so a bit off road. Didn't look at my watch at all I was in a world of my own. I felt a bit fatigued at 11m but I was enjoying it so much it didn't bother me too much and won't have salad for tea the night before a longer run again!  Not sure where the other 14m is coming from yet but thats what training is for!  Sorry very me, me, me but it was one of those running makes me really happy moments.  Sang at top of voice all the way back in the car and was getting some very strange looks from other motorists.

NV - I am in awe of your speed...I can't wait to see how you do at Marshmallowman. I would need motorised rollerskates for 7.45min miles...wow.

MD6 - New York, you lucky thing, are you doing any races while you are there?

Jam-  Is that dancing thing on the Wii any good? I am trying a smartcoach program this time too.

PITK - Sounds like you've got it all under control for London.  You might find something that helps you disassociate while running will help you keep going,  stopping can be more habit than actual physical need. As for mileage you've got ages, enjoying your running is more important at this point I think.

Shona - Hi, that sounds fab, are you enjoying it.

Lizzie - When is the race for life?

Claire - Hi *waves*

Now I am trying to persuade my husband to let me enter a half marathon in Nairn on 20/8,  its a bit of a trek from here but it fits in well with my schedule.  I have decided not to enter the ballot for London, I really want to do the Highland fling next year(which is about the same time) - although I am secretly terrified of the challenge including the map reading bit. I am selling it to my husband as a mid life crisis.

Off to get sorted, got to take the kids swimming after school Happy running all.

Week 1 - 25.25

• Options
    Hi Shona and Diane. Welcome.

PITK, that's a pretty full race calender image

Just googled the Highland Fling. Wow Em!! 53 mile off-road ultra!!! You could threaten to buy a sports car instead. That should do the trick image

With respect to the speed thing, it's all relative. My mate's half mara pace is 6:10/mile. It's only about 18 months ago that my HM pace was 9:40/mile. Bit of structured speedwork and you'll be whizzing around Scotland image I love runs like that. Haven't had a nice easy LSR for ages though. Must see if I can sneak a few in before Galway, and just run for fun instead of having a session target.
  • Options
    lol its not getting ultra complicated,will say hi to everyone especially diane and lizzie,good to see a fellow race for lifer(?) too,where you running lizzie? thanks to NV and slow and old for the hello's and to answer the q slow and old,yes i am enjoying it used to run when i was younger forgot how good those endorphins are!image
  • Options

afternoon all, welcome new Newbies!!!!

NV wrote (see)
    Hi Shona and Diane. Welcome. PITK, that's a pretty full race calender image Just googled the Highland Fling. Wow Em!! 53 mile off-road ultra!!! You could threaten to buy a sports car instead. That should do the trick image

Or an even more expensive mid life crisis - threaten to take up Tri! image that will work if the car won't!

No races in NY, I don't have the time - although a friend of mine was trying to convince me to do bear Mountain half marathon - unfortunately it is on the same day as the wedding I'm there for so I can't do it...which is a shame as i think i might have won it imagelol. no racing for a while actually as I am going to have to do some training for the cowman - i haven't started to swim yet - i did get up early this morning for a swim but idecided against going and went back to sleep for 2 hours. Which i think is better. I wil swim tomorrow or saturday and the hotel has a pool in NY so will try and get one in there too

better go again as i'm working...ha...i mean, really!

• Options

Hi All

Well went out and did a nice little 5k this morning, thought I would take it nice and easy image and again I am seconds away from my PB I really should find a race to enter and smash it. Anyway having a day off from painting and I am loving it!! have been to the pub with a friend for some lunch and sat outside and enjoyed the nice weather.

Jam - Awesome rest day there, it does look good fun that game. Hope you had a good 5miler

PITK - Hi Yep it does get boring all the decorating but house looks so much better after. Would say im well over half way done now. Hope you had a good run. Wow that is a race calendar!! You really will have put the miles in for the marathon.

NV - Re the intervals, trouble is I dont think with the 205 you can see your pace when its set to intervals. I will have a read of the instruction book image dont usually do that image thankyou though for the tip re the calculator I will have a look at that and see what pace they reckon I should run them at. I have decided though that I will do them every week. Great run there you did, well done.

Lizzie - Hi and Welcome, good goals there. Race for Life is a great one to start with.

Shona - Hi and Welcome, Good goals there too. Ive been running for a while and I tend to run around 10.30 ish per mile on an easy run so your pace is fine I would say work at the distance you run without having to stop and walk.

Dianne - Hi and Welcome, any goals or races your working towards?

Em - Sounds like a great run, I just love it when you get one like that. Wouldn't worry about singing in the car I always do that image 53mile race! Wow Im sure you will manage it though.

• Options
    What time is the wedding and what time is the race? image

xpost look for a Parkrun Claire?
  • Options

MD - Have a great time in NY!

NV - I have done in the past they dont do them round here...... im sure one will crop up soon.

• Options

Slow and old - its going to be 12th of June image so I should be fine image and

Shona - its in Tunbridge Wells, kent image think im doing the morning one image

Claire - Yer I have a number of friends who are planning to do it too so its hopes going to be alot of fun image  were doing it memory of my best friends mum who died of cancer a few years ago image xXx

• Options
    wish you all the best with your run lizzie!,thanks claire good advice,hopefully in a few weeks i will be able to run more,feel so sorry for anyone who has to look at the huffing,panting red sweaty mess that is me as i hobble on by....
  • Options
    Hi everyone, thanks for the welcome. Claire, I started because I have applied for the prison service and there is a fitness test I need to pass, but I'd like to work towards doing a race for life and raising some money for charity. I also need to loose weight and it's helping with that too. I'd like to be able to run a few miles comfortably and see where is goes from there ! image
  • Options
    Hi all,

Diane, what does the fitness test involve?

Shona, if you're not a red sweaty mess, you're not trying hard enough image

36 mile ride and 7 mile run brick this morning. Some wedding thing was on the telly so the roads were empty image New speed record on the ride, 40.4 mph image Good to get a couple of hours on the TT bike before next weekend.

Another little brick tomorrow, and a swim on Sunday hopefully.
  • Options
    Nv, it's a run on a treadmill, 0.37 miles in 3:30 . I know that's nothing to most people but I couldn't run for 1 minute last week without stopping. I did it tonight without stopping in 4:07 . Also a grip test, push and pull test and one where you have to hold a riot shield out for a certain time. Not bothered about them, just the running, and it's on same day as interview and maths/English test image lol
  • Options

Sorry not been on for a few days ...thanks for the concern about my knee still got problems will be seeing the physio on Wednesday so hopefully better news on its way ...image

Will be doing a 12k walk today just to keep some training

Hi to all the newbies ..hope your ambitions are realised just keep plugging at it next thing you know you will be at the start line of a marathon ...image

• Options
    Hope the fizzy has some good news for you Warkie.

2k swim this morning. First swim for 3 weeks, and it felt like it!
  • Options

afternoon all,

well yesterday was a good un wasn't it! Thankfully the roads were quiet, the pool was quiet and all in all it was great. I managed a nice 1,500 in the pool in the morning (42mins i htink) bit of a pyramid 100,200,600,400,200, then 100 coold down. Arms were going in the last 200, but managed to get out much better than i was expecting it to be based on the last swim. Then i ran 7.5 miles, but my legs just weren't in it and they were aching and heavy from about 2miles. Managed it at average of 8'28 pace, so bang on pace, but HR was a bit high av about 160 maxed at 175 in the last mile...too high. Planning to try the route again today and hope the hr and legs are better plus its lovely out at the moment so i hope i can get out while the weather is still good.

Warkie, I hope the fizz has some good news and gets you sorted quickly.

• Options
    Good stuff MD. Getting back there.

Little brickette early this morning. 45 minute ride, 25 minute run, so 12.6 miles then just over 3 miles. Lovely morning image Got to dig out a tree stump now image