Options

Newbies 2

Comments

• Options
    grant mgrant m ✭✭✭

Good luck all! (hope you're being sensible chaps and chappesses and getting an early night)

Great day here, got out for a run first thing (in the rain) and then a whizz on my bike in the afternoon with my boy in the back giggling himself silly, doesn't get better than that for me!

Just programming next weeks jog/walk programme into my watch and quite shocked at the jump in difficulty. Call me sadistic but I am looking forward to it! image

• Options
    Afternoon. Hope everyones events went well today?

Very happy with my 10K this morning, very hot, rough tracked terrain, 56.03 mins in the end, 244 out of 415 actually running so not bad for a newbie! Not the best start as quite a narrow track and started at the back, so lots of bunching, but after a while, good pace and made my way at at good speed, even had energy for a sprint finish!! image 1/2 Marathon Next??
  • Options
    Afternoon All

Paul - Well Done!! Awesome time there.

Well I've got a nice new shiny PB image 1hr 1min 7sec that 10k under the hour is getting closer. Unfortunately the met office was right with the weather forecast, we all lined up at the start 4mins to go and the heavens opened!!! We were all soaked. But hey I've done a half in the pouring rain so 10k no problems. Thankfully the heavy rain turned to light rain. Was bit packed at the start of the race but it spaced out pretty quickly and I was able to get a good steady pace going. I got to half way at 30mins flat and I felt good...... But you turned to go back and yep straight into wind!! So my pace slowed a little, I did manage to speed up down the final bit and I passed loads of people - which I felt great about image
    The course this year was great it was a loop instead of straight out and back. Next year they are back to the old course to pleasure beach and back.
  • Options
    HI all,

Finished in 6:02:36. I'll knock out a race report later. I'm wrecked image (And sunburnt).

Well done Paul and Claire. PBs all round.
  • Options
    NV - Awesome work Well Done! Look forward to the report
  • Options
    Claire - sounds like a great run and in horrid conditions, makes the challenge and satisfaction better I imagine? image

NV - Brilliant stuff, so glad it went well, look forward to the report.
  • Options
    Hi all sorry not been on the board but not been training much due to my knee...
    So update i managed a mile fun run with my son (18 months) and wife at the ladies 10k in Liverpool think we did a 20 minute mile while going weeeee !!!!
    My wife did slightly better with a 56 minute time around 287th out of 1500 runners
    My race in June Liverpool tunnel run wish me luck
    I am off this week so will be trying to do some runs and hopefully the knee will be ok
    Sorry not managed to read all of the posts behind this one but hope everyone is doing well
  • Options
    grant mgrant m ✭✭✭

Evening!

Paul, Claire and NV - brilliant jobs, well done all! Looking forward in particular to your report NV. Had a cycle planned for this morning but a quick glance out the window at the pouring rain and back to bed - v lazy I know and everyone else has put me to shame.

Hi Warkie, well done on the 20 minute mile! image May I suggest you aim for a slightly faster time in June! image And pass on my congrats to Mrs Warkie too.

• Options

Morning All,

NV- Well done mate looking forward to the report, Mondays always need some great news!!!

Claire- Brilliant stuff, and passing loads at the end, always a great feeling, good you had some left in the tank for that sprint finish. 10k under the hour is looking defo on the cardsyou'll do it next time for sure.

Went out for a 2 mile on Sat in the pouring heavy rain, which actually was very pleasent, then out yesterday for 5 miles, back in time to cook for parents, roast beef etc and homemade Bakewell tart!! Yum! Up the Allotment later to plant out basil and Cues, also might be picking the first Strawbs!

• Options
    OK, here it is image

When the 4AM alarm clock went off it was chucking it down, so I nearly invoked Plan D and went back to bed. Forced some porridge and a couple of slices of toast down, packed the last couple of bits from the car and set off at 5 for the hour drive to Lydd. Racked the bike, set up transiton and got into the wettie. The first 2 waves got away on time, then it was my turn. The start horn went, and I duly splashed, coughed, choked and spluttered my way to a 45:19 swim split (186 of 204). Ah well, it’s what I expected. No major dramas and some reasonably straight swimming between the turn buoys. Exited the water and promptly fell over sideways as all the blood rushed back to my legs.
  • Options
    A leisurely 5:19 in transition whilst I wrestled the wetsuit, and got the bike kit on then out onto the bike course. At this point I noticed my HR, which I was aiming to keep at around 167, was already 176 and never dropped anywhere near target on the bike. The best laid plans and all that. After about 10 minutes got a good tailwind and got some fluids and a gel down and hammered along for 40 minutes at a decent pace. I was passing people fairly regularly, then 3 guys who must have being doing the sprint (£5k bikes with disc wheels) blasted past me. Then the course turned into the headwind and the pace dropped a bit. I had a big ”moment” on the bike when I reached for the second gel, and swerved into the verge, across the road, back into the verge again. I somehow stayed on, and decided that in future I’d sit up to drink and eat At about 28 miles, there was the only hill worthy of the name. A mile or so of fairly steep climbing just before the bike aid station. Passed a guy pushing his bike up it and we exchanged pleasantries. Or I tried to. I couldn’t get any words out. Just after the aid station, I caught a group of 3 riders who had formed a through and off chain gang. This is cheating in triathlon. I passed them 3 times, but every time we turned into the wind they went back past. Eventually, I sat up, had a gel and a big drink and let them go. I was gratified to see that they had a 10 minute longer bike split than me, but was furious when I found that one had finished 47 seconds quicker overall. Got caught at a level crossing and then a set of temporary lights, and a couple of the people I’d passed bunched up again. Into Camber, and I was still feeling pretty strong, and well over 20mph with a tailwind again, and a guy on a mountain bike came off the pavement into the road in front of me without looking. We bumped shoulders, and again I have no idea how I stayed on.

Finally back into transition with a bike split of 3:00:29. Well pleased!
  • Options
    T2 was 3:25. Again slow. Set out on the run feeling remarkably good. I was banging out sub-9 min miles and started to pick off a few people again. Then, at about 7 miles the course turned back into the wind and I started to really feel the heat. My pace started to drop and by 10 miles I was taking regular walk breaks. As I hit the finish straight I saw that my wife and kids had turned up to see me over the line so I put on a “sprint” and gave them a smile and a wave. Crossed the line in 2:08:01, with a total time of 6:02:36.
  • Options
    grant mgrant m ✭✭✭

Wow NV, I can't even pretend to know how putting in that much effort must feel - you have my most sincere respect! Are you happy with the total time?

PS Boo on the cheating cyclists - are there no stewards or anything to pick up on that sort of behaviour?

• Options

Don't have much time but read reports - brilliant NV (and Claire and Paul too) what is a through and off chain gang?

Will c atch up more later.

• Options
    Thanks Grant. It's all relative though. I finished my first half marathon in a similar condition to yesterday (and only 4 seconds faster) so it really is a case of put in the training and get the reward.

I'm a bit gutted that I didn't manage to break 6 hours now. I'm pretty sure that if I'd known how close I was I probably would have dug a bit deeper on the run. Yes, there were motorcycle marshals out on the course. they passed me 2 or 3 times but didn't deal with it image

There's plenty of learning points from yesterday for me, so I feel pretty confident that I could take another 30 minutes off next time I race at that distance.

Em, a through and off is where a line of cyclists takes turns on the front. As you get to the front, you have a few seconds "towing" the line along in your slipstream, then come off the line at the side and go to the back and the next one takes a turn.

• Options
    grant mgrant m ✭✭✭
    Signed up for my first event, a jogscotland organised 5K in Dundee in June, a week after my C25K programme concludes. How exciting! image
  • Options

Hi All

Got tired legs today so must have given it everything I had yesterday image that 10k under an hour will happen!!

NV - Great race report you must be very happy, im sure you will get under 6hrs no problem.

Jam - mmmm Bakewell Tart love that!! Well Done on the running too image Yes it is a great feeling to be able to get past alot of runners at the end of a race, i really enjoyed that bit.

Grant - Awesome you will love it and you'll get more races booked. Crossing that finish line the first time round is fantastic.

• Options

Evening all,

I'm just on my way out the door to try out my new runners, Mrs Jam handed me a parcel and inside was a pair of Lunnerglides 2, what a diamond.

• Options
    Nothing better then new kit Jam, except maybe surprise new kit image
  • Options

Hi all

6m tonight with a faster paced 4 in the middle, haven't downloaded the stuff of the watch but I ran with 2 women at the club who are quicker than me and it felt a bit harder than it normally does, but we could still talk so it wasn't too bad. New shoes arrived and felt very bouncy and looked very clean too.

I am behind with my totals last week 34.8, so this is week 3 - 6m. This is the danger time because I am feeling very good about my running and want to add more miles than my plan says, just have to hold myself back, I have a long way to go.

Claire - No doubt about under the hours, the weather can't have helped, next time you will do it.

NV - How do you feel today? Are you savouring victory or already planning for Galway?

Jam - How were your new shoes?

Grant - I find entering a race very motivating.

Warkie - Did I see that your knee is better?

Hope everyone is ok. 

• Options
    Evening all. NV-Great report, truly inspiring mate.

Claire - feeling the same as you, but Thursday I intend to start training for my half in Sept, plus I raised over £350 for a local ward at the hospital with the 10k so cannot go back on all the training now.

Grant - Great stuff mate, your on your way now, first part is entering.

Jammers- will check those shoes out myself, need some that fit me properly now I think.

Slow and old - sounds like a great run, know how you feel about going ahead before your body is ready, hard to reel yourself in sometimes ain't it. image

Hope everyone else is well.
  • Options
    Bit of both Em. Couple of drinks tonight, recovery run tomorrow, then back into the land of the 4 hour brick session image Couple of sprints to do first though. Was that a planned speed workout, or a bonus one?

Paul, which half did you go for?

Claire, did you do the club race?

Grant, you've made the fatal error of entering a race. You're are now on an upward spiral of constantly improving fitness and slightly obsessive purchasing of running gear image

• Options
    Hi NV. It's the Ipswich Half Marathon mate, end of Sept. Thinking with my time on the 10k I have a good base to move forward, splits at 6 miles are average 8.44 but need to strengthen knee and ankle I think, being 6ft 4in is a knee killer it seems. image
  • Options
    Morning all,

Paul, is that a flattish one? I'm on the hunt for a flat half around that time (PB chasing image) Based on your 10k, I reckon if you train well you could run close to 1:50 if conditions are right on the day. That'd be a great start to your half marathons image

Em, just a thought: If you're really feeling in form at the moment, what about changing an easy run for an extra tempo run or something? You have loads of base to support some more speedwork.

Feeling mostly recovered today so 30 minute recovery run planned for tonight then back in the groove again.
  • Options
    Hi All
    Jam- Great stuff with the new trainers

Em - Sounds like a good run there.

NV - Yes did attempt the club race, I attempted. Nevermind. Glad your feeling recovered, hope you have a good run later.

• Options
    Legs still shot from the race on Sunday were they Claire? image As you say, never mind, go back and smash it next time. Hope you're recovering OK now.

I'm still reflecting on Sunday's race. With appropriate training, I reckon I can find another 30-60 minutes off that time by September. Loads more base endurance work 'could' give me 20 minutes of the bike and should give me 20 off the run. A bit slicker in transitions and not chucking away too much time on the sea swim and I should get inside 5:30.
  • Options
    Yeah obviously Sunday took more out of me than I thought. It's great that you know you can improve on, still think you did fantastic! Guess all the races and training sessions are all learning curves.

Anyway I'm thinking Pilates tonight, rest day tomorrow then go from there image
  • Options

Hi all

No run yesterday in the end, I am finding it difficult to fit in a run on a Tuesday although I really wanted to go as the weather was fab. So moved yesterdays run to today...so 7m on hilly route,  the first couple of miles were very slow (even for me) but then speeded up, I seem to need a long warm up.

NV - Yes I have been trying not to let all my runs be plods, so at moment the Monday run is def a tempo type thing for me because I am consciously choosing to go out with people who are slightly faster and the short run I do on a Sunday I have been trying to make faster paced as well.  I have been focusing on getting my legs to turnover a bit quicker as that feels more natural to me than lengthening my stride in the hope that it helps me run a bit faster....who knows.   No doubt you will improve on your time, although I am with Claire, I think it was fantastic too.

Claire - Hope the legs are better, you have had a few races lately and you are training for the half, it all piles up.

Grant - How is the harder week going?

Well I ate rubbish yesterday and the sweet stuff is creeping in again.....I just need to work out how many miles I need to run so it doesn't matter, then do it.  I suppose the only other good thing is that I can't eat while I run!

Anyway happy running and hi to everyone.

Week 3 - 13

• Options

Claire - as we know these things happen, and NV pointed out that the legs were probably still cream crackered - at least 

NV - great that you can get more time, but about now I think it's time to savour what you got mate image well done again!

Em - definitely concentrate on increasing cadence (foot steps) over stride for speed work - and fear not one day isn't so bad I've had a months of eating rubbish and sweet stuff has crept back in flopped on the sofa and is now watching telly for me.

Well cycled in to work today, first time for a good month it was hard work, long way to go but I'll get back there I'm sure just not sure when image

• Options
    grant mgrant m ✭✭✭

Hi all! Well done on the cycle Willy!

Em - Week going well thanks, was out yesterday morning for first of week 4's C25K workouts - run 3 mins and then 5 mins with walking periods in between for 20 minutes or so (16 mins running in total). Thought I would really struggle but I found thatthe rhythm of my breathing really helped me manage each of the 5 min sections, I was really chuffed when I made it! Off for a cycle with my son in tow shortly and then out for next run first thing tomorrow. (And haha to eating while running, or not! image )

Claire - Hope you are enjoying your rest day!

Oh, and my forerunner arrived today, just charging! image And talking of buying kit, my Aldi seemed to have a fresh supply of running gear today, I schnaffled some hi-tech looking socks!