Options

Newbies 2

Comments

• Options

Hello, still alive which is something image

I've been tapering since around march for the Vit in September... image but as MD said I'm still going to rock up and enjoy the swim and possibly bike...

Actually planning on cycling in to work tomorrow for the first time in ages because a little V festival opens up which snarls up traffic between my home and work...

Hope all are well NV - the outlaw! honestly! I'd like to do that a year or two in the future always seems to get good reviews!

• Options
    Morning all,

Willy! Hello stranger. That's a proper taper, you should be well rested. I reckon you'll get the bike done at the Vit. It's a lap run as well isn't it? You could set off and see how you feel.

Seems to be a lot of it about at the moment Andy.

MD, what was the decision in the end?

Ride into work this morning, so 12 miles done. Ride home tonight, then an hours run off the bike with the first 45 minutes at HM pace image
    Long run scheduled for tomorrow.
  • Options
    NV wrote (see)
     MD, what was the decision in the end?
    Um, option paralysis I got home and went, ahhhhhhh that's enough for today then went and had a bottle of wine and dinner with a friend. Rolled home this morning (image) with a slightly sore head and not enough time to make my lunch for work (i barely managed to get the shirt ironed) i might do something tonight but i've got a friend's birthday drinks to go to...new housemate arrives tomorrow so i can't go for a run then. unday for the long run will be the next chance i get (unless i get up nice and early tomorrow and smash a quick set of hill reps of something - but then that could ruin my LSR on the weekend of 15...i might have a swim and a turbo early am tomorrow and then study the rest of the day
  • Options

Hi all

Did my run today, proposed 16 that turned into 15, felt like 18 on effort.  I went to a new place and it was fantastic, after a run to the path, most of it was off road, not quite x-country but close, just a track really, extremely undulating with some really hilly bits. I'm not really doing it justice, the weather is fab and it was just me, sunshine, big blue skies, and open countryside covered in lovely purple heather. If I hadn't had to get home then I could have stayed out there all day. I didn't fall over - hurray, but have strained my right glute and its a bit sore.

MD6 - Hope you get your run in, the long run is more important than the hill reps at this stage I think.

NV - How long is your long run this week? Thanks for the offer of the core exercises, however I know I would never do them! because I am very lazy.

Willy - Good to see you back is the vit a half iron man thing?

Andrew - Boo to cold hope it clears up.

Hi and happy running to all

Em

• Options
    Sounds nice Em. 15 miles tomorrow. Going to go for a fairly flat route and a very easy pace I think, because I haven't done a 15 since March!
  • Options

NV - I am sure that it won't pose any problems for you. No running for me tomorrow as legs feel a bit tired but could have been the slog round Tesco just now that has tipped the balance! 

• Options

Hi all

Hope everyone had a good weekend and got the runs in. I had a lazy weekend, rest day on Sat then on Sun the weather was so nice I wanted to go to the beach with the kids so just went for a shorter faster 6m run instead of a steadier 10/11.  Then we went to a really quiet beach and had lovely few hours, sometimes other things have to come first. 

Running club tonight and 8m with fast bit in the middle I hope.

• Options
    Hi all,

Yep, you're right there Em. No running at all for me this weekend, I was instructed to concentrate on my 2 weakest disciplines, painting and decorating image
  • Options

Managed a hilly 7 yesterday, weather was fab, I did it slowly but tbh it was a triumph that I actually had my running kit on and was doing it as I didn't feel great. Lots of people round here seem to have colds and I am living in fear that I am going to catch one. 

Busy week but I am going to do my longest run this week - 22 if all goes to plan, I am trying to persuade my husband to let me do it on Saturday so I can forget time and not worry about having to be back to pick up kids etc.

NV - Hope you get out this week and that you got your decorating finished.

• Options
    Morning all,

Well done for getting out Em. Don't go near anyone with a cold. Hope you manage to get your 22 done at the weekend.

Lashing it down here today. 6 x 7 mins 10k pace run tonight off 3 minutes recovery with 15 mins warm and cool. Probably about 10-11 miles. Going to be a soggy one image

Very quiet at the moment!
  • Options

Hello Everyone Im back image

Hope everyones training is going well. Hi to all the new newbies image

Got no idea if im suppose to be awake or asleep at the moment, hopefully another good sleep tonight and I will be fine. I managed 11hrs last night! Not much to report I am planning to get out for a run either wednesday or thursday this week. There are some very funny photos of my race in Sydney I will try to get the link onto here.

• Options
    I have already posted on another thread but I guess this is where I should say Hello!
    I have been running on and off for a while - just managing 7.5 miles at the most as of yet (not much consistency until now) I am determined to stick at it - I don't find it easy although I am reasonably fit, I cycle and use the gym and sprinted at a quite high standard when I was in my teens, I am now far from that (42yrs old and five children on) - and so I am desperate to get into long distances.
    I am slow - 12 min miles at the moment and am working on this - that is why I am here I guess to pick brains and learn from more experienced runners - I hope that I will be posting double figured runs soon!
    Woke with stomach cramps and a headache today though and so will be cycling - probably about 15-20 miles - I will report back later.
    Nice to meet you all!
  • Options
    Welcome back Claire. Had a good time? Good photos, very focussed image

Hi Shirelle, welcome. Are you training for anything in particular? Cycling as well eh? Can you swim? image
  • Options
    Morning all,

11.2 miles last night with 6x7 mins high Z4 HR. Was targeting 180-187 bpm. Split paces and HRs for the reps were 7:24 (179), 7:27 (184), 7:36 (184), 7:45 (185), 7:43 (186), 7:29 (187. Pretty pleased with that one. Good to have it in the bank before the Windfarmer tri.

10 mile TT tonight if the weather clears a bit.

What's everyone else up to?
  • Options

Hi all

NV - Glad someone is having good runs!

Claire - are you back in the UK now? - Brilliant race photos, it looked like you were really enjoying it.

Shirelle - Hi, how did the cycling go?

I am not feeling on top form, I didn't run yesterday because I decided on the spur of the moment to give blood instead. I thought I should give myself the evening to make it back up again.  I have been out this morning, started out with 11 in mind, packed it in after 2m as feeling terrible, legs like concrete, slow running even for me, and the effort level felt way off what it should. I have come home and will try again this evening I think as I can't really afford to take a day off.  On the positive side OH is happy for me to do my long run on Sat this week so that takes the pressure off.

Em

• Options
    May I be the first to say : Feck off spammer.

Hope it goes a bit better tonight Em. Good news about the long run at the weekend.

Going to have to have a bit of a spend up on gels and energy drinks today. Race feed for Outlaw is High 5, which I've never used.
  • Options

morning all, welcome new newbies

NV, seconded i hate spam, particulary the kind where the picture doesn't show up on my pc! Hi5 stuff is not too bad at all NV. I like the isotonic gels - less calories but less gloopy and no need for water either. Taste ok which is actually amazing too. How long till the Outlaw now? I might try and convince myself that its a good idea, but then again i might not.

no running for me at all this week, i did 4.5 miles on sunday but that wasn't that good at all...managed 2 miles of it at MP and then i was home. calf was cramping really badly in the mornings (saturday and sunday) which damaged it a bit - haven't worked out the cause but its stopped so i'm hopeful it was nothing.

Righto better do some work

• Options
    1st July, so you've still got 11 months MD. You know you want to. Cheap for an iron distance too.
  • Options
    27:42 tonight. 20 second PB is a nice way to finish the season in less than ideal conditions. Feeling pretty pleased with that image
  • Options

good result there NV, I'm envious of that. I really would like to do a proper TT but there just aren't any convienent for me (living near Central London)...must find one out near my dad i can go to one weekend/evening or something.

Well i may have just pulled out of the windfarmer to do a London to Brighton bike ride. I'm waiting on the details but it looks like that will be the case. I'm a little annoyed but haven't really done much swimming at all this year so for my survival it may be for the best. I'll see if there is anything that could make them work together or something...i'v never done london to brighton to that's the draw there - apparently the group is aiming to ave 22nmph on the flats...ha hahahahaaa i'd better do some bloody training then image

• Options
    Morning all,

London to Brighton will be good MD. If you want to do a TT next year you could get a train down to Kent and I could pick you up and take you over there. Or there's a regular one on the Windfarmer route on a Friday evening. 22mph on the flat should be OK as a group ride I'd have thought. You averaged nearly 19 as a TT in the Marshman+ didn't you?

Aching a bit today. Run tonight 10 min warm, 5 x 30s sprints with 30s recovery, 10 min jog, 5 x 40s sprints with 20s recovery, 10 min cool. About 6.5 miles total. Not looking forward to that really. Got the charity golf day tomorrow. I haven't hit a golf ball in 2 years. It could be hilariously bad image
  • Options
    You're right i did manage about 19 for MM+ and about 18 for IMCH with the hills that wasn't a bad effort, so 22 should be ok. I will start to rie to work every day for the next few weeks and that should see me sorted. an hours turbo tonight i think just to get the legs going again ahead of the weekend's smashfest! Also planning a run home 5.5 miles aiming for 43 mins or so. It;s lovely if its raining!
  • Options

Hi All

Well I went for a little run this morning, I think my body is still tired, plus my ankle hurt alot and it still does. Its quite interesting as I decided to do the race in my old runners just incase it was new trainers that hurt the ankle. Race was fine no problems.... todays 2.5miles torture. So on that note im paying the Sweatshop a visit at lunchtime tomorrow.

NV - Great runs there! Very jealous of the distance. Have fun paying golf tomorrow.

Em - Hope your feeling better today. Yeap im back in the UK now and back at work.

MD - Yep hope the calf pains were nothing. London to Brighton does sound good. Hope you have a good run home and it doesnt rain for you.

• Options

well the run home was nice and felt really easy, managed the 5.5 miles in 41'24 which is not too bad at all, given there were a few stops for pedestrians weaving along the road jabbering into their phone and generally oblivious to the fact that there could possibly ever be anyone else who would want the pavement but them, i'm quite pleased with it. All reasonably consistent at about 7'35 pace the whole way nice and comfy which is good as that is my target marathon pace for Dublin. I could have easily carried on for another 5 miles, which will be the plan on Monday morning - I'm off work next week so i will aim for a nice easy 15 miles, then as i will only manage 10 miles this week - against a target of 30 (cut back week) so i need to get some miles in the legs particularly as i missed last weeks long run due to my calf.On the plus side that's healed up now it seems and I am back on decent form.

NV how's the run go?

Claire, are you over the jet lag? I always find coming home is harder than going away - but that may be because I'm coming home!

• Options

MD - Sounds like a good run there. Glad the calf has healed up. Yep im kind of over the jet lag.... I keep falling asleep about 8.30pm though oh and waking up at 5.30am. Im sure I'll be over it after the weekend. Your right the coming home way is harder.

Well just got back from the Sweatshop they looked at me running in the trainers and everything looks great. They have suggested I try loosening the laces a little...... Maybe I have done something to my ankle doing something other than running, and running is just causing it to hurt more...... Im thinking couple days rest let the pain in ankle go away and give running a go with what they suggested. the GNR is looking like its going to hurt alot at the moment!

• Options
    grant mgrant m ✭✭✭

Hi everyone and welcome to any new newbies I've missed.

Claire - Welcome back. I had to laugh at your post, most nights I am in bed by 9pm and get up at 5am or so. image This is very late for me actually, can hardly keep my eyes open! Glad you had a great time away and enjoyed your race.

MD - Glad to hear you are back on form. Your marathon pace blows my 5K pace out of the water. lol

NV - Hope you enjoyed the golf.

Em - Enjoy your run tomorrow.

I am struggling at the mo with a bit of a sore back. It was either down to trying to lift weights that were too heavy for me (most are) or throwing my 3 year old around the swimming pool or a combination of the two. It is affecting my posture and I get sore necks throughout the day too and it is really affecting my general energy levels. Hasn't stopped me running though, got out for my first 10K on Wednesday morning in 70 odd minutes. Felt pretty good and fills me with confidence for Glasgow next week. Got the Edinburgh parkrun in the morning, really looking forward to it, I just hope the back is ok.

Happy running all!

• Options
    Good Luck Grant!! Hope the park run goes well and your back is alright.

I'm off to spin..... Think it's going to hurt.... But got to get back into it
  • Options
    grant mgrant m ✭✭✭
    Hi Claire - My wee boy wasn't feeling too great first thing so gave the parkrun a swerve and went out just before teatime instead and pushed myself to a PB for the 5K (albeit in training) over a much tougher course. Feeling really chuffed. image Back is still a bit troublesome, might treat myself to a sports massage this week. Hope you enjoyed your spin!