Options

Newbies 2

Comments

• Options
    Good stuff Claire. Packed yet?

Busy weekend Andy!

9.2 miles this evening, 15 mins warm up ay 9:07/mile 45 minutes at 7:47/mile, then 16 mins at 9:24/mile. Nice way to start a new month!
  • Options

Nice run NV, good pace in the middle there too!

Well it was a nice steady 6 for me today, legs felt the run from yesterday in them but were ok, not nearly as hot at 7pm as it was at 3 yesterday for some reason??? So 6 done in 51'16, miles splits were@ 8'31, 8'29, 8'39, 8'46 (quite a headwind at one point and i didn't want to push), 8'26, 8'22. Not bad, the 2 mile in the middle were a touch slow for my liking but i was aiming to keep the HR within low limts and i guess the headwind made the pace drop for the limits. Targets were mile 1+2 <145,  3/4 <150, 5/6 <155 managed it very comfortably and thats what counts. At the moment its about getting the miles back in the legs. Its terrible how much fitness I've lost. Speaking of things I've lost I have also lost 3 pairs of swimming goggles!!! I think i left the last pair at the pool and they have been chucked, so when i went for a swim this evening i had no goggles and the pool only had kiddies ones on sale - I had more sense than to try the kiddies ones so didn't get to swim which is a shame.

righto better hit the shower as I'm starting to smell a touch bad.

• Options
    Morning all,

I've got a bit of a habit of losing goggles too MD. Won't take long to get that fitness back the way you're going now.

Swim tonight for me, 2.5km followed by beer and curry recovery strategy. Need to be a bit careful though, because I really want a 10 mile TT PB tomorrow evening.
  • Options
    NV good luck with the TT, let me know how the beer and curry feulign goes! I have just entered the windfarmer so get involved! You can then smash me silly on the bike and by the look of your training swim and run too! At least I will have someone to chase... I really had better getmyself to the pool as soon as my goggles arrive - as the furthest i have swam this year without stopping is 600m  ha this should be fun, just need to add 900m to that and I'm golden! imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Doubt I'll be faster than you in the swim MD. I may be swimming a lot, but fast I ain't image When the turbo sessions start kicking in you'll be hammering me on the bike again, and you're already quicker on the run.

Just tried to enter the Windfarmer, but couldn't get my account to work. Have you broken the website?

• Options
    works fine for me, I just checked... it didn't recognise my old details from teh Marshman though, maybe they had a purge or something - just set up a new one!
  • Options
    Done, and entered. Sprint I assume image

It occurs to me that oly distance doesn't really play to my strengths what with the swim being such a big part of it compared to HIM/pool sprint. As I've never done an oly we'll see what happens I guess.
  • Options

Hi all

I have missed alot....did see MD6's heatstroke/hydration post, thought it was interesting...if it was water that you drank you may have overhydrated as when its hot and you are sweating alot and drinking alot of water sometimes its the lack of electrolytes that make you feel a bit shakey and you are a bit overhydrated - ie you are diluting your body fluids too much.  I used to reduce my core temp by getting into a cold swimming pool.

I went running yesterday and did just shy of 9m in the hottest conditions I have run in for a while, it felt like 25 degrees and was quite airless, felt like I was running with concrete trainers on, I must toughen up a bit!

Running has been very hit and miss - only 2 runs last week, 5m and 16m and on Sunday I wrecked my feet as I had to go to a party and look reasonable, so had to wear very strappy tight high heeled sandals, my glutes really hurt on yesterdays run and I have lovely blisters on my big toes. 

On a more serious note I don't know what to do about training as I am feeling very tired, serious fatigue, not sure how to go forward.

Anyway happy running to everyone else.

Em

• Options

Good man NV, yeah I'm not sure that any tri with a swim over a length really plays to my strength, i think sittin gon the sofa plays to it though, and I've become nearly world class at that lately! image

Em, that's an interesting point, although i didn't drink at all while i was out running - bar 2 mouthfuls of water from the fountain at about 4 miles. I hadn't over hydrated before going - i'd even had a Nuun tab in one glass so shuold have been fine on the salt front - but i will bear that in mind and see how i go next time its warm. Will definately have more salt and maybe take something out with me. i liek the swimming pool idea - mch better than the bath which is what i tend to do

• Options
    P.S Em, maybe have a day or two rest and see how you feel? I hear that often the first few days of taper can feel terrible, fatigue aches etc, maybe with the cut back this week you are feeling something similar?
  • Options

Hi All

Well went to the gym again this morning, great news is ankle is very nearly pain free image so I think it should be fine for City2Surf!!!

NV - Good run yesterday. Fingers crossed for a PB for you

MD - Good run too yesterday

Em - Well Done on your runs. Maybe a rest day is needed and give your feet time to rest.

Still not packed yet image im terrible tee hee I will do it tomorrow night.

• Options

Well my deidcation to the training continues, with a 45min turbo 5k run brick: Turbo felt good aiming to keep cadence around 85 which is my natural and comfortable leg speed, easy spinning at first to warm up and see how the legs were but then gradually upped the gears and kept the pace. The 45 minutes flew by and I also had forgotten how good the Yeah Yeah Yeah's are!!! Brilliant - if you don't know it Date with the night' is a fantastic song - get it you won't regret it! Anyway, 45 mins flew by, Av HR 128 (Max HR 143) Ave Candene 85 (Max 106). Then the 45 mins were up and a quick 2 minute transition in my dining room and out the door. I had forgotten how my legs feel at the start of a brick - like someone elses! the first half mile the pace was all over the place, up down left right, not sure at one point i think i was 5'30 minute miling...i soon put a stop to that! Soon the legs felt like mine again, tired, and heavy, and i settled into a higher footspeed than i would normally run at and concentrated on trying to get the midfoot landing to be more natural, apparently it helps reduce injuries etc but all it does is aggivate my calf (although that;s to be expected at first or so I hear) Mile splits and ave HR's 7'29 - 150, 7'18 - 157, 7'10 - 163, 34 seconds (6'24 pace for the 0.1) - 168. Quite pleased and I actually felt like I could keep the legs turning like that for another mile at least, maybe even 2!

Claire, go and pack! You know once you pack then you will feel like you're ready to go and it will be all exciting!!!!! Have a fantastic time and enjoy the city to surf, take care of the ankle - I'd suggest some compression socks for the flight as when ever i fly my achillies swells to buggery! Its really unpleasant, so I'd think that may help some with your ankle, the last thing you want is to get injured on the flight.

• Options
    You're taking this seriously MD! Another good session mate.

Binned tonight's swim intervals in favour of a 3k endurance swim (mainly because I left the session plan on my desk image) Felt as though I was swimming really smoothly and economically tonight, although it doesn't seem to be much faster than usual image
  • Options
    I'm certianly trying NV, I don't want to let my team down at the club championships (relays but weird, each person does each part in turn, v strange) So i need to get myself in gear. I'm also hoping to be able to fly around dublin (it'll hurt less than running it!image)  3k swim, good man! I only ever did about 3 of those for IM training, which could explain why i was nearly last out of the water... next time I'm gonna do better. The best way to get fast in the pool is to do intervals, 400w/u, then hard 25, recover 25 x however many your arms will allow, some drills and then repeat all again then cool down,,,simples! not that i do that of course, that would require me to actually swim
  • Options
    Morning all,

MD, the planned session had a 10x25m sprints and 10x100m hard in it. Unfortunately it wasn't at the pool with me. I reckon the way to get fast in the pool for me is to get some more lessons. Still too many strokes/length image Yeah, the club relays are a weird format.

As a recovery strategy, beer and curry hasn't really worked. I feel a bit fatigued this morning.
    Em, not sure what to suggest apart from a few days off and try to get some extra sleep. Maybe up the amount of fresh fruit and veggies in the diet as well. I get a bit run down these days when I eat rubbish.

Have a great time Claire, and good luck with the race. I'm jealous image

10 mile TT tonight. Aiming for a 27:xx so need to take 3 seconds off my PB image
  • Options

Thanks guys Will have a great time im sure image Still not actually packed lol!!! I will put the stuff in the suitcase tonight when I get home. I know im frustrating, Just cant get stressed about these things.

Md - Great run there! Glad to see your back into the training.

NV - Good Luck for tonight, Im sure you will do great.

• Options

Hi all.

Claire just throw a toothbrush, your running gear and your smallsinto a bag - the rest will take care of itself lol!

So the tri training is still a big thing in  this thread, then?  I'm just envious of your prowess inthe water, both of you - I just can't get it image

MD, if you can change to midfoot running, it will really benefit with faster times and fewer injuries.  However, like you suggest, your calves will really feel it at first, but if you're determined to master it, just stick with it.  Nice little 5K there in training, especially after a bike session.

If you give us an idea of what you're training for, S&O, we can advise you on what training programme to undertake. 

Hi to everyone I didn't mention.

• Options
    Do you still swim occasionally Blimps, or have you given up altogether? I found that after wondering whether I'd ever get the hang of it, one day it just started to come together. Took about 3 months though.

Right, beer and recovery strategy will have to go back on the drawing board I think. Did 28:39 tonight, and although there was a bit of a breeze, and I had a mechanical that cut short my warm up, I just felt a bit flat today so I reckon that even if everything had gone well I still wouldn't have PB'd. Hey ho, always next time.
  • Options
    Oh, and I appear to have inadvertently entered an Ironman, or an Outlaw to be precise image
  • Options

Holy crap, NV - an Ironman?!  The question that's on everybody's lips is: whereabouts on your body are you gonna get the M Dot tattoo?!!!

I've given up the swimming altogether, I was at it for way too long without any substantial improvement so I thought, feck it.

• Options
    Morning all,

There won't be an Mdot tattoo, because it's not an Mdot race. In fact there won't be a tattoo at all, Tattoos hurt image

2 hour ride tonight with 4x10 minutes above treshold off 5 minute recoveries. Hope it stops raining image

• Options
    Hi everyone,
    I have just joined this forum and this is my second post! I don't know where to start reading this newbies thread!! I saw in the beginning (2008!!!) people listed their goals which was quite cool!! I am not able to read through 3 years of posts as much as I would love too!!

So I have already made a new thread explaining all my concerns and got some nice advice from two experts so I thought I should join a thread appropriate for newbies like me!! I run every weekend and I have registered for the 10k run in October so I am starting with my training on sunday!!! Actually tomorrow Im going to test the schedule for the first time image

Seeing the first posts that people set their goals I thought it would be nice trying to achieve the 10K in a good time, but I'm not sure how I should calculate that!!

Anyway, I thought I should just say hi to all and if you have anything to advice, encourage, give me a reality check please do!! I would love to hear back from you image
    Sofia
  • Options
    NV wrote (see)
    Oh, and I appear to have inadvertently entered an Ironman, or an Outlaw to be precise image
    Brilliant:
    NV wrote (see)
     There won't be an Mdot tattoo, because it's not an Mdot race. In fact there won't be a tattoo at all, Tattoos hurt image

An IM doesn't not at all mate. fast and flat from what I understand too. Oh and here's something to help you on your way:

Think about it, really think about it. 2.4 miles of swimming hurts. Oh, it's fine in the pool or the lake, but what about when 2000 other people are punching your head? You can't settle down, you can't relax, you fight for every stroke and breath.

Then you get on your bike for one of the longest rides of your life. Sure, you've done the distance, but it wasn't easy, was it? And you hadn't been beaten up for 2.4 miles in the water beforehand.

Anyway, you'll get it done - you have to... because you need to get to the start line of a marathon.

Hi blimps, I think its just that time of year for teh Tr training thing, mostly its just running, with a bit of bike and swim image. Yeah the midfoot thing has really helped my achillies - well it hasn't hurt it again! but the calves are a touch achey - byut getting much better, after the bike the other day i could feel it so i took an impromptu rest day resterday - and no pain which was surprising. I will get back at it today and see how i feel. I'm glad the body is holding up to the amount f running - i was rather concerned but i'm trying to balance building up quick enough to get two 20's in before dublin with not going to quick and breaking - for the moment its working!

Hi everyone else!!!

• Options
    LOL MD. Seen that somewhere before. Feeling very calm about it at the moment. Yep, fast and flat. Shouldn't take much longer than a hilly half mara I reckon image I don't have to fight for every stroke or breath because 95% of the field in any OW tri I've done has been 100m ahead of me inside 5 minutes image The risk is that winter comes and the lake freezes over before I'm out.

Hi Sofia, plenty of time to get ready for the 10k. Any time for a first 10k is good. Think about the number of people who will never run one image
  • Options

My goggles Arrived!!!!!!! I can swim tonight (which will be interesting as the Masters sessions are on Thursdays IIRC so i can kinda swim in the lane next to them and try some of their session without joining - I joined paid 6 months and then had a change in class schedule which meant I had classes onteh days of teh sessions so couldn't go after 3 months, so I figure I am entitled to piggy back their sessions for a few months - well until i go back to uni in October!

Hi Sofia, It sounds like you are pretty well sorted from what you ahve said, I would suggest that you don't run every day - not for a while anyway, you may risk an injury if you run too often. Maybe every other day, or 3 days on then a rest or something. Depends on how you feel and how fit you were to start etc. The most important thing though, is to come back and say hello here! And post your goals is good too. As to what a good 10k time is that will vary based on your fitness, experience, how fast you are naturally, and the course and conditions. How far can you run and in what sort of time, then you can look at a target time for the 10k based on that. image Any questions just ask 

• Options
    Thanks so much guys!!! Very helpful tips! image
    "Think about the number of people who will never run one", I like!

Naturally I'm not that fast, I don't think I have the runner body type, I'm quite big with a big frame and broad chest and shoulders and quite muscular, but not extremely long, legs, tending to accumulate fat around the belly and waist!! Nothing to do with runners I guess! image

I have also registered for the 5k parkruns so trying to see how I will get on with that to estimate my pace.. The intimidating thing is that in the previous results everyone does it in less than half an hour, 20minutes rather, while 6km it takes me good 40 mins!! I must be more systematic in my measurements image Let's see, I'm well excited image

Thanks again for your responses!!
    Sofia
  • Options
    Hello Everyone

Just a quick check in, hope everyone is doing well and training lots!!! Well I'm all packed and sorted and just waiting for the taxi image will try check in here whilst away but if I don't sorry will just be having far too much fun. Good luck if anyone is racing over the next two weeks. Happy training

see you all soon image
  • Options
    Hi all,

Have a great time Claire!

34.1 mile bike this morning with 4x10 min at 10 mile TT intensity. Nice morning for it. Overcast with not too much wind. Time to eat, shower, then off to to see Iron Maiden at the O2 tonight.

Quiet today!
  • Options

NV if you are passing through Greenwich and fancy a pre-Maiden beer let me know - you have my number from the A&D 10k i think...I'm sure that I can squeeze a quick one in - Or if the weather is good stop off at the Pilot Inn before hand. It doesn't get as busy as anything in the o2, and it has a great garden to enjoy the fading summer in. Its about a 5 minutewalk from the o2 - just go past where teh football academy thing (looks like an aircraft hangar) is and walk down that road, it's just the other side of it. (or google it!)  Good session there too by the way mate!

well today i was supposed to get up early for an interval session before work as I am cooking dinner for a friend tonight, but i didn't. My legs were feeling yesterday's swim/bike brick intervals...which is as bad as it sounds. 1k swim - 200m w/u 100m hard, 500m steady, 50m hard/50recovery, then 2x 25m hard 25 recovery and 100m breaststroke as a cool down.Bike was 5mins w/p easy, then 2mins hard 1min recovery (x6) then 1 min out of saddle biggest gear going as hard as possible then a few minutes really spinning the legs out as they were shot and then cool down. Done! And Ouch. Thankfully I can have a rest day today and I will pick up tomorrow with 5 steady miles (and maybe another swim if i can - I need to get the power and pace back up pdq) before 13miles on Sunday. Lovely!

Hope everyone has a great weekend, enjoy your runnings, Blimps I'm sure yuo;ll be racing so good luck! See you all later