sleep well Scoobs...

tomorrow is another day!

For me:

morning - swim 2 miles

evening: gym: bike 40 mins, crosstrainer 12 mins, stretching - lots

• Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭

Oh, and chocolate:

one walnut whip (special offer in M&S - boxes of 7)

one belgian chocolate chunk flapjack

one fun size cadbury's caramel

a few chunks of dark chocolate to nicely finish off a bar sitting on my desk at work

• Options

eewww, turkish delight? that just spoild the nice chocolatey coating!

How does a full packet of Jaffa cakes in one go sound? My Bad?! 

Day off today, hips feeling like they need a rest after the weeks activities. 13m run, squash, 20m bike followed by 3 mile run, 2km swim and the usual core exercises. Don't I deserve a rest and Jaffas? imageimage

• Options

You most certainly do Colourin image Jaffa cakes only come in eat the pack size.

I've just devoured another 2 turkish delights - scrummy, they may become the new revels!!!

I'm liking the sound of that Belgian choccy flapjack k9, so watch out!

Training today was x-bike session followed by 1900m master class swim. Hence the hunger pangs - well that is my excuse so I am sticking to it!

I have a rest day tomorrow - phew.

• Options
    You can never have too many jaffa cakes.. Really tough physio session yesterday, 45 mins hard work out , But ankle feels OK this morning
  • Options

Has the fat lady retired then dave?

• Options
    Not quite, Going to try a couple of gentle run's this weekend and see how it goes. Had a brilliant afternoon out on the bike on Wednesday, Did 30 miles round Delamere and up and over Frodsham hill a couple of times
  • Options
    Yes Scooby I have done the distance before at Vit last year.  But have a feeling that this will be a whole lot tougher.  It is part of my IMCH training so will be using it as a nutrition/hydration check as much as anything else.
  • Options

oooh I'm absoutely raging. A guy is fighting for his life after having been hit by a van whilst on his way to join our cyling group for theThursday evening road ride. He's critical and in intensive care.

And yet on the news page people turn this into some riduculous debate about road tax and cycling segregation.

I am so cross I could spit. I've not met this guy myself but I have heard about him, he does loads of good work for cylists in our area and is a very well respected guy.

We are riding tomorrow past the accident place as a show of solidarity.

How can people be so horrible? It really does astound me how much nasty prejudice there is out there against the cycling community.

My thoughts are with this guy and his family. I am praying that he will be ok.

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/news/cyclists-injured/article-784078-detail/article.html

• Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭
    Ouch Scoobs - really hope he's OK
  • Options
    “Were I no more to fare to Valhalla's fortress, do you know whither I fare? I depart from the home of desire, I flee forever the home of delusion; the open gates of eternal becoming I close behind me now: To the holiest chosen land, free from desire and delusion, the goal of the world's migration, redeemed from incarnation, the enlightened woman now goes. The blessed end of all things eternal, do you know how I attained it? Grieving love's profoundest suffering opened my eyes for me: I saw the world end." 

For those sadly not familiar with Wagner’s  Gotterdammerung the above is Brunhilde’s final aria over the funeral pyre of  Siegfried, ie The Fat Lady has sung.

Managed an OK 2 mile run last night, But 30 minutes later my ankle was so swollen I could only just manage to drive. So I’m afraid the Bala withdrawal letter is in the post. There is no way I can get it rested up and do enough training in the next 12 weeks.

. Hope you mate recovers Scoobs
  • Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭

((((((((((((((Dave)))))))))))))))))

I SO feel for you - as an eternal bencher myself.

Next year is another year - Bala will still be there - and who knows I may join youimage

Any news Scoobs?

For me:

swim 154 lengths. Lap counter failed to time it so who knows how long it took.

and................

a 28 mile cycle with a friend.

It was truly fabulous - not fast - 14mph - overtaken by lots of other cyclists but who cares. We were outside in the sunshine doing something.

and the hip seems fineimage

Good grief - this might all start to sound like training at some point.

Might try a one mile run soonimage

• Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭

you an opera buff Dave?

I love opera - but not very knowledgableimage

• Options

Dave, bad luck - but its better to deal with the injury rather than doing long term damage.

Right, I had hinted that i was trying something different this week due to my hating the bike.
    My butt was painfull after around 7 miles and my legs were shredded after every session, so this week I ditched everything else and worked on the bike to try and build a base of some kind.

One thing I have tried is to stop cycling to the speedo and cycle to cadence instead, trying to keep it at 85-95 on the flat and above 75 on the hills. Also only using the middlechain ring, dropping to the granny ring for steeper hills.

I have a cycle loop which I use, its 10.7miles total on an out and back road past the farms. So I planned to do that daily for a week . Probably not the best training plan but its time to 'HTFU' !
    I also decided to throw a short run into it so it became brick sessions ....

Last friday: 10.7miles+3mile trail run =1:15 (including T2)
    Sunday 10.7m+3m = 1:14
    Monday 10.7+3m = 1:11
    Tuesday 10.7+3m = 1:10
    Wed 10.7 (bike only) =44:20
    thurs rest
    friday 17miles ! + 3mile trail run = 1:34 (bike was 1:50(15.7mph) run was 26:30 image )

using high cadence defo works for me, my legs seem to recover quicker from the bike to allow a better run. Lots of work still to do as 15.7 is my highest mph average so far but its something to work with.

And my butt wasnt screaming until 15 miles yesterday !  another long bike tomorrow then start following the plan again.....

run safe

• Options

I'll keep on getting out on the bike, and the swimming has been going really well.

May look at doing Nantwich or something, But little chance of getting a middle distance done, and as you say no point making the damage permanent.. Do wish my wife didn't keep saying things like "At your age it's bound to take more time", Still she is doing the Deva Divas so I can become a coach and supporter for a change

• Options

Dave - sorry to hear about your ankle, keep doing the other stuff, and we'll keep fingers crossed for next year : ) be good to have you on the side lines cheering us on tho! Has your wife done the Divas before?

Adbru - great training! Inspires me to make more effort! I've been working very hard at resting the past 3 days, image Its been tough, but I feel better able to do a big bike ride tomorrow now. You watch tho, now I've some time the weather will go rubbish again! Hey ho, its all character building - isn't it?

• Options

hi guys

He has a ruptured spleen,  serious head injuries and broken ribs. He's being kept unconcious and under sedation at least until Monday, so still out of it. HIs family are with him.

We all rode together today past where it happened as a show of solidarity. He is a very well respected man here and not only in the cycling community. It was pleasing to see so many turn up this morning. We had around 50 bikes. The newspaper also turned up and I'm pleased to see a more positive report at least in regard to what happened:  And his family have been in touch to say that they think this was a great thing to do and that he would be very pleased too .

Newspaper report
    Here

We then carried on and had a most glorious ride, which was actually introduced by this guy. A bit of a gruelling climb that was 5 miles long and 1100 feet.

So training today

Just under 62 miles on the bike. Av speed 14.3 mph. Climbed 4534ft today. Av speed 14.3 mph, I'm delighted as I felt strong throughout. I realised I'd actually managed to get the fuelling right today so I was able to push on towards the front (I was even leading at times) which was a great confidence booster. Furthest i've done so far and I absolutely loved it and did not want to come home! The weahter was fantastic and we were high high up on dartmoor and could see nothing but miles of moorland and tors stretching way into the distance. Just the most awesome ride today. image

• Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭

Hi Scoobs - sorry about the news. I guess the severity of his head injury will be the crucial factor in terms of how he does. I'm keeping everything crossed for him.

Good ride yesterday....62 miles is a huge long way - I bet you wouldn't have imagined yourself doing that so easily this time last year. What did you do to sort the fuelling?

Adbru - great progress! Keep going with it and it'll all slot into place...

Enjoy your cycle today Colourin.

For me: swim 144 lengths to bring the week up to 800

May pootle gently out on the bike again later as the weather is looking goodimage

• Options
    HI all

Dave - sorry to hear this but it does sound as if you have made the right decision.

Adbru - crikey that is some biking there - well done and good to hear the high cadence is helping. I tend to spin my way along too. I find it easier than pushing big gears too much as this knackers me out!

Great swimming as ever K9, the weather is just awesome isn't it. Steady does it. I am so delighted that your hip is behaving - long may it continue. Enjoy your ride in the the sunshine. image

Yes it will depend on how bad this head injury is. I don't know, I guess they'll find out more when they ease the sedation off on Monday?

Yes - you're right in regard to the distance. If someone had said to me this time last year, lets go for a 60 odd mile bike - well they'd have had a pretty swift response! I'm really pleased as I have sussed out my sore neck issues too. It got a bit sore and stiff yesterday but nothing like before. I moved my seat forward and it was so so so much better! I'm going to move it a tad more and hopefully that will be the end of that. In time I'm also going to flip my top tube back as the shop put it up this way to enable me to get used to a road bike.

In regard to fuelling - I was concerned I would get all weak and shakey again like I did on Wednesday. Having talked to some of the guys yesterday I realise that this was def due to me gettting the fueeling totally wrong. It started off with me feeling hungry and then I just felt weaker and weaker and very trembly - horrible. The mars bar helped but by then it was too late and that ride was not much fun, I felt very unwell by the end of it.

So I had a really good dinner on Friday night - pasta and I also made sure I had a decent brekky before heading out. I also had a very thick slab of chocolate cake/flapjack when we stopped for a cuppa. image  I did start to feel a tinsy bit hungry (believe it or not after that lot!) at around 50 miles so I quickly stuffed down some go-bar and it went away.

On Wednesday I simply did not think about needing to eat, so I only had a banana for brekky (doh) and some soup for lunch and then expected my body to get me through 30 odd very hilly miles - it complained! (What a plonker!)
  • Options

P.S. I have just now discovered Cycling Weekly - Wow what a fab load of info and loads on climbing too - YEY - I'm learning loads!

Now wondering whether I might get better on the bike in time... image Looking forward to more climbs - how sad is that!! I actually got into climbing yesterday - weird! I'm learning to test, push and gauge myself more.

We had some very fast boys with us. They were awesome and were able to really power off as I trundled my way up. They then came back down to go up again! Crikey! How fit is that! I was well impressed. image

I really want to do a 100 mile ride in the future....

Did I mention I adore the bike. image

• Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭

Scoobs - you are inspiring meimage

I'm sure your century ride is not far off.

One day I'll be able to as well!

• Options
    Scoobs, I'm jealous! You sound like you've got yourself a fab group of people to ride with. I'm really struggling with that. Not got a great deal of motivation at the mo. Anyone out there know any clubs willing to take on and and mentor a keen if inexperienced cyclist in the north west? near manchester?
  • Options

Colourin - don't give up looking. I felt exactly the same as you.

It has taken me 2 years to find a group that I am comfortable with. I tried another couple of clubs but they weren't for me and I really thought there was nothing else out there. In fact when I got together with this group I felt a bit synical as thought they'd be just the same. I'm glad I gave them a go as they are quite the opposite. But I remember very well that feeling of having no-one to cycle with whilst knowing I needed to get the miles in and also really wanting to have some company.

I totally understand how difficult it can be to motivate oneself to get out there week on week and train on your own. I often found myself heading out alone. I have to say sometimes I did enjoy it but sometimes it would have been really nice to share the ride with another.

Try googling cycling clubs/groups in your area and see what comes up. Then contact them for a chat prior to heading out with them to see what they're like. I really do think there are an awful lot of people in our position. Keen to get better on the bike and looking for some company from more experienced cyclists.

Do you work? Talk to work colleagues, spread the word and see if there are other cyclists out there.

When I joined the group for the first time I discovered they only met up once a month on the weekends for a road ride and my heart sank. They also meet every Tuesday and Thursday, but I don't meet with them for those rides on account of them riding in the dark. I'm not experienced or confident enough for that.

Anyway I said that I needed to ride every week and arranged to meet up with 1 other girl the following weekend. However, before I knew it the whole group decided to meet every weekend too and it has kind of taken off from there!

There must be groups out there that are social. Don;t give up looking and don't let past expereinces put you off as I nearly did!

Try googling British Cycling and filter your search by area, or the CTC. Then do a trundle through. The best thing to do is to contact them and let them know a bit about where you are with your cycling and ask them what sort of pace they ride at, when/how often them meet etc.

In the meantime, what I did was post my rides on here. Then I had to go out and do the flippen things! That helped me to actually do them.

Best of luck and do let us know how you get on.

• Options

Hi all

Quick training update

yesterday - 1 hour run on tready. 10.4k overall. 1st 30 mins on hill program, last 30 on flat. Then
    swim which was pants so canned after 500m!! Oh well we can't have it all!

Today - bike to work 4.5miles and long bike after work if I can manage it. I have  just stuffed in the most enormous tuna mayo bagette in attempt to ward off that awful crap ride I had last week.

I now feel so full I am wondering how on earth I am going to get on my hybrid let alone move the pedals! Oh dear! This fuelling lark is proving to be difficult! AND I put on point 2 of a kg this week - WELL, I cannot imagine how that happened....

<scoobs waddles off remembering all that turkish delight she stuffed last week, oh and then there was the maltesers - oops and the 99 ice cream t'other day (well it was mothers day), oh yes and cake, cake and oh yes some more cake....> image

laters.....

• Options

hi guys,

After my happy ride on friday it went pear shaped on sunday image
    About a mile into my 17mile loop i realised my rear gear mech was stuck on the third largest ring !! Tried freeing it to no avail. Thought about heading home but decided that was for wimps so continued with only the front chainring working.

Finished the ride in 1:22 instead of 1:05 !! then was grumpy so beasted myself on the 3m run (25:45).
    1 mile swim last night (45mins) then a 5.5 mile run at lunchtime today.

I am heading down to englandshire tomorrow for a course thurs/fri so will put my bike into LBS tomorrow morning and collect it on saturday. I've asked them to do a full service as well as fixing it.

There is a local bike group starting at easter on a thursday evening that I am planning looking at.Thursday is the 'beginners; rather than the "speedys" on a tuesday night !! lol.

Scoobs - the best part about all this training is the ability to eat lots more crap than normal and not feel guilty !! (says he tucking into a microwave spag bol then eyeing the micro roast beef dinner......)

run safe

• Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭

Did someone say cake?image

Well - I felt utterly pants yesterday - absolutely drained and awful.

Haven't felt like that for yonks - I can only assume it was the unacustomed cycling at the weekend. I'd forgotten how much REAL exercise takes it out of you (as opposed to gentle swimbling).

On Sat I swam 154 lengths and cycled 28 miles. On Sunday I swam 144 lengths and then cycled 26 miles - I did feel quite tired on the cycle and by the evening felt a bit sick - and by Monday felt bleurgh.

Still did a swim yesterday as I'd already got up and got myself to the pool, but had to drag myself round!

Today - back to normal - swam before work and depending on how late I finish may possibly do a bit at the gym - we'll see

• Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭

Chocolate update:

4 choccie digestives with coffee this morning

One third of a 120g bar of galaxy raisin almond and hazelnut

imageimageimage

• Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭

Adbru - cross posting

How infuriating about the bike but well done for carrying on regardless. Sounds like you are doing some good training