Options

Advice on the Victory 5

Comments

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Paul - Good luck tomorrow. I'll be there too, (Benfleet RC white top. Red markings) say hello if you see me. I don't bite. I normally get fed in the Cafe afterwards image
  • Options
    I'll be there in maroon and gold (Fareham Crusaders). Good luck to you too!

What time you looking at/for?
  • Options
    NjordNjord ✭✭✭

Paul - Well done on the GSR and have fun at the LFOTM.

Shelf Side - I think your schedule is just fine.  In fact, if anything the tempo session on the Saturday will help keep the pace sensible during the first half of Sunday's long run.  Now that XC season is about to start, there's going to be plenty of runners racing on a Saturday and running long on the Sunday.  I'm not sure I'd want to do it the other way around though!

• Options
    20'30" for LFOTM.

Not thrilled with this time, and i'm not going to make any excuses. But a pleasant setting for a race, and I love London. Very chilly, but bright and sunny with no wind! Definitely one i'd do again.

Pammie, were you a number like 280? I saw some Benfleet people... one of which may have been you...
  • Options
    my split for the first 5k in the GSR was quicker than that... it was about 20:06 image

I'm putting it down to lack of recovery.

I made the mistake of lining up virtually at the front too... and keeping in the top 6 runners for the first km. Which meant I passed 1km at 3:27....!

I should've known i'd burn out.
  • Options

Paul well done even if it wasn't the time you wanted i  have doen the start too fast myself in the past

Yes i was 280 looked round  but couldn't see you. Glad to here you'll do it again i do it every month (if i can) i find it good with practice you get to get that pacing thing right

• Options

Unlucky Paul. Sounds like you hadn't recovered fully from the GSR.

I did it in 19.36 which I'm relatively happy with but still think I could have gone 10-15 secs faster if I'd rested up properly.

My official time says 19.41 which is definitely wrong - I started my watch on the gun (or that guy shouting go!) and stopped it as I crossed the line. Strange, but I guess it must be hard to record all the times with so many people coming in.

• Options
    Yeah, for such thin organisation I wouldn't even look at the official times personally. I just used it as a time trial.

I think I got the pacing wrong because it's been so long since i've done a decent 5k race, and all my stuff's been geared towards 10M/Half-marathon
  • Options

I typify the "paralysis by analysis" thing of over-thinking all aspects of my training and racing.

Which will probably irritate all of those who have given me suggestions and advice! However, I firmly believe that an individuals approach should be tailored to them, and tailored to their unique responses to different types of training.

To this end, I keep trying new things! With only 5 weeks until the Victory 5, my priorities are:

1. Don't get injured
    2. Work on speed/leg-turnover/remembering how to run fast
    3. Not losing fitness

Having done a decent time at the GSR, I know i've got the endurance and speed-endurance to run a decent 5 miles. But I think the next 4-5 weeks would be best spent on anaerobic stuff and sharpening up. With that in mind, I thought about trying the FIRST training programme for 10k. I thought this would be ideal, because the lower volume and frequency of training would reduce the likelihood of injury, whilst the increased intensity would help with my aim of honing my speed.

I got started on this today with some cross-training. I prescribed my own 35 minute session rather than following one of those, simply because I wanted something a bit tougher and more mixed.

It went like this:

5 min warmup on bike, level 2, 90-100rpm
    20 mins of 90sec fast, 90 sec slow (fast sections done at level 5 with RPM as high as possible, slow sections done at level 3 and around 90-100rpm - to keep the legs moving light and fast)

Then 10 mins of the above protocol, but on a Concept 2 Rower... all 10 mins done at Level 7 resistance, rowing as fast as possible on work segments and casually on recovery segments.

Afterwards, 5 mins of static stretching and some basic soft-tissue work. Job done.

• Options
    Today:

20 mins at 6mph warmup

6 x 800m, each done in 2'54"

I felt quite sick for about half an hour after this.
  • Options

Great splits for the 800ms. Look like you used a treadmill, but even then it shows you should be capable of close to 19min for a 5k. What were the recoveries?

I did a good 12 miles yesterday - started nice and slow and picked up the pace progressively, doing the last 2 miles at LT pace. Legs feel good today, but have a slight cold.

Re your training, do you really think you need the anaerobic stuff? VO2 max surely has to be the number one priority until the Victory 5...

• Options

I meant VO2max when I said anaerobic... I thought by their very nature the two terms were interchangeable.

I did do the above training on a treadmill, yes.

• Options

I'm pretty sure they're different. Anaerobic means without oxygen and VO2 max is your maximal oxygen uptake.

• Options
    Tomorrow i'm doing:

1 mile slow
    1 mile fast
    1 mile slow
    2 miles fast
    1 mile slow
    1 mile fast
    1 mile slow

All the fasts will be doing at around 9mph... all the slows will be done at 6-7mph!
  • Options

Today:

Didn't quite manage the whole 8 miles, was dying and had to cut it short at 6. Probably did the recovery miles too fast.

6 miles in 46'28"

All fast sections done at 9.2mph... all slow sections done at 6.7mph.

Still a good session, left me barely able to walk by the end.

• Options
    Quality session. Must admit I've never done any mile reps - must give it a go.
  • Options
    8 miles in 57'21".

Stopped 2 or 3 times for water.
  • Options

Looks like you're not hitting your 5k pace which won't have the biggest benefit for your VO2max but, then again, it could be pretty much bang on your 5 mile pace so good training for the Victory 5...

Still, shorter slower recoveries seem to make sense and possibly do the race pace stuff outside.

• Options
    Okie doke. Much of the points above taken on board.

The 1 mile fast, 4 mins slow session sounds like quite a good one, i might try that next week.
  • Options
    Today:

2 miles warmup

4 x 1200m, all done at 10mph, with 400m recovery walks

1 mile warmdown
  • Options

My bum hurts now.

60 minutes cycling in teh gym tomorrow... probably have it on a nice easy resistance like level 3 - 4. Will aim for 16 miles ish.

• Options
    I did the last 4 sessions on the TM, just because of the weather around here at the moment. Also to give me some idea of the appropriate pacing.

I didn't cycle yesterday, instead a did a small metcon that took about 21 minutes altogether (including moving between exercises and 60 seconds rest between rounds):

"Fight Gone Bad!" (Modified)

Three rounds of:
    Thrusters with 10kg Barbell (Reps)
    Sumo deadlift high-pull, 20kg Barbell (Reps)
    Box Jump, 13" box (Reps)
    Push-press, 20kg Barbell (Reps)
    Row (Calories)

In this workout you move from each of five stations after a minute.The clock does not reset or stop between exercises. This is a five-minute round from which a one-minute break is allowed before repeating. On call of "rotate", the athletes must move to next station immediately for best score. One point is given for each rep, except on the rower where each calorie is one point.

Taken from www.crossfit.com