Options

Advice on the Victory 5

Comments

• Options
    Today.

Did a 1/2 mile jog warmup, then 2.5 mile TT. My phone was acting as stopwatch and the lap-timer function buggered up, so I only have the total time for the session, including the warmup, which was: 20'32".

Not bad to average under 7m/m for 3 miles, especially given how gentle my opening ramble was.

RE: the metcon for crossfit - I was totally shagged out after that session, i'd put it alongside 5k racing in terms of effort/difficulty. Just something different to slide in on a non-running day, and to complement my running fitness with more muscular-based work. I have no doubt that the spluttering state I was in by the end was an indication of it being a session that'll have at least slightly pushed my Vo2MAX
  • Options

Give it a go Ronny H, and let me know your score image

Mine was 236.

• Options
    It's not about strength though... it's about metabolic conditioning... and capacity for work. 20 minutes working hard is always going to be 20 minutes working hard. And it was a pretty good full-body complex of exercises.

I shall try the old 5 x 1km sometime next week! I'm resting now till Sunday (Gosport Half-Marathon).

Today:

"Jason" (Scaled version)
    50 squats
    9 pullups
    9 dips
    25 squats
    18 pullups
    18 dips
    15 squats
    27 pullups
    27 dips
    10 squats
    36 pullups
    36 dips

22'21"

All pullups and dips sadly done with assistance (kneeling platform on dipping station), but I wanted to keep things moving
  • Options

Ah well, at least you admit it!

I can see why lots of people wouldn't be fans of it, but i know a couple of non-runners who swear by it, and strangely enough both of them aren't too slow at running.

• Options
    Lots of the top runners in the world do weights, including for the upper body and especially body-weight exercises!

Have a look at a few videos of a chap called Alan Webb. Pretty huge biceps and the chap can run a 3:46 mile and his "debut" 10k was 27:43. Doesn't seem to be harming him!
  • Options
    Crikey moses! My best 1500m is about 5'08"... thinking of 3'46" for a mile just makes me sad!
  • Options
    Well he's the American Record Holder so need to give the chap some credit!

El G- the "King of the Mile" and world record holder at 1500m and the mile (3:26 and 3:43) used to do a lot of weight work though you couldn't tell it to look at him and was able to squat a phenomenal amount.

Hell- Radcliffe is meant to be able to life a fair amount!
  • Options
    Rest today and tomorrow in advance of Gosport on Sunday.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

good luck on sunday paul.

Considering your big race..the Victory 5 myself...an 80mile jaunt down to Portsmouth, but always wanted to do this one.

I went for a speed session with a local club the other day...was about 3rd out of their 25 or so runners...a very mixed ability....not all top male athletes by any means... The guy who won the 1k reps was a 1hr 15 (on a very tough half marathon course) guy...who i knew about...the one i was shocked to be beaten by was a massively muscled fella.... just didn't look the type to knock out such pace!

• Options
    The course record is held by Rob Denmark (Rob was a British 5000 metres runner who won the gold medal at the 1994 Commonwealth Games and a silver medal at the 1994 European Championships in Helsinki) and in my first Victory 5 in 2003, he was running image
  • Options
    1'39'40" - Some sort of crippling ITB/Psoas pain around the 6 miles, which totally screwed up my technique as I had to hobble the remaining 7 miles. Not a pleasant experience by any means, but glad to finish. Good course for a PB, but didn't happen for me today!
  • Options

Paul - Hope you are feeling better soon, if its not better in a few days do get it seen too Don't delay. Its a cliche. But they will be other races

I do know Rob Denmark not literally  but its good people still talk about him he's quite a local boy.

• Options

Hopefully he'll be doing it this year! It's an astonishingly fast record... well under 25 mins.

My calves are like solid blocks of granite now. image

• Options
    5 sets of max press-ups/pullups:
    17/6
    12/5
    8/4
    11/4
    6/4
  • Options

Unlucky Paul - I reckon you're due a good performance in your next race. Is that the Victory 5?

When I was about 14 I remember walking home from school and seeing this guy absolutely hacking it up the hill I was walking down. He was flying and I figured he must be a top level 400m runner or something. A few weeks later I was watching the TV when the same guy appeared at some athletics event - it was Rob Denmark competing in the 5000m! Truly awesome basic speed and left a lasting impression of how fast elite athletes really are.

• Options

I once used a calculator, where you put in your 5k time and it tells you how long you'd keep up with Paula Radcliffe when she's running her marathon pace.

Apparently i'd last just over 500yds.........

My girlfriend/dad who were spectating at the GSR literally couldn't believe how fast she was as she passed them. Most distance athletes come from at least moderately successful track backgrounds anyway.

My calves still bloody hurt. Walking relieves it, but as soon as i sit down they seize up again. ITB pain seems to be coming and going. Stretching helps... but only very short-term. I'm certainly not going to attempt any running before thursday. So just heavy lifting and MetCons, courtesy of crossfit.com.

• Options
    Today

2 sets of:
    hip flexor stretch - 10 seconds each leg
    overhead squats with broomstick
    10 situps
    10 back extensions
    5 pullups
    5 dips

then:

Push-Jerk 1-1-1-1-1-1-1

All reps done at 40kg. Took a 60 second rep between each. Lack of a rack meant these were actually C&J's with a pause in the middle.

Never done C&J's or Push-Jerk before...
  • Options
    This morning:

"Nicole"

Complete as many rounds in 20 minutes as you can of:
    Run 400 meters
    Max rep Pull-ups

Substituting 500m rowing for the 400m running (my legs still can't take impact)

5 complete rounds:
    -8 pullups
    -6 pullups
    -4 pullups
    -4 pullups
    -3 pullups

and one additional broken round of:
    -3 pullups + 244m rowed
  • Options
    Today:

35 minute time trial

Still suffering from calf and ITB pain... so only covered 4.78 miles. Was hoping to manage around 5.25, so a bit disappointed, but oh well.

For anyone who wants to see my route and stats:
    http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/workoutdetail/index.do?id=532806
  • Options
    Yeah I suppose. Always reluctant to ease off though... I hate feeling like i'm not trying...
  • Options
    5K TT today (I know, I know...)

19'47" - Very happy with this... felt strong throughout.
  • Options
    It's Sunday December 7th... so just over 2 weeks.

I'm having a rest day today, and i'm going to do some interval work tomorrow, I think.

I think I just spent a lot of time from June onwards with NO structure at all. Just lots of long slow steady miles. So I'm trying to sharpen up and get myself mentally and physically prepared for what running hard feels like.
  • Options
    I was gonna go for 3 tempo runs and 2-3 interval sessions between now and the race... I'll keep this updated as I go.