Options

Race day etiquette

I have just done my first two 10k races, and happened to end up near one runner for the first half of the first race and near another pair for almost all of the second. What's the etiquette here? Is it ok to overtake every now and then, or would that be seen as a bit pretentious because they're bound to overtake me again soon enough? Or should I avoid hanging around the same person for too long altogether? Is it impolite to start chatting to this other person, or impolite not to?

And when overtaking generally - does one always have to overtake others on their right hand side, even if approaching them from the behind left (and if there's some space on their left hand side, of course)?

What about a faster finish - I guess it's probably discouraging for the people who are tired and don't manage to increase speed at that stage anymore?

Also, I didn't manage too well drinking from a paper cup and ended up spilling quite a bit of the water - is this a nuisance to other unners behind me who could be hit by some drops?

Any other hints on do's and dont's? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    And another one: when logging the results online, do I stick with the gun time, or is it ok to enter the real time? (I had a look at my watch and it took me a bit more than one minute to get through the start.)
  • Options
    image I wouldn't worry about it to much. As for overtaking people I'd just say hello as your doing it, because half the time they are over taking you at a later stage and it's nice sometimes to get some banter going.
  • Options

If it's not CHIP timing I go with my watch.

I would say its OK to pass other runners if you feel they are not running at your pace at that particular time. But not OK to sprint passed them then slow down again.

• Options

I'm not an expert by any means having only ran in 5 or 6 organised races, but I think you could be worrying too much image

Is it ok to overtake every now and then, or would that be seen as a bit pretentious because they're bound to overtake me again soon enough?  - What if they don't overtake you again? It's not pretentious, it's just that you are a better runner.  If you are still concerned, start and stay at the back and don't overtake anyone. image

Is it impolite to start chatting to this other person, or impolite not to?  - hmmmm, tough one.  If it's a small field, a little acknowledging nod or hand jester would be good.  You could crack on with 'I thought they said it was a flat course!" If he/she responds then there you go, your in for a chat. 
    If you are in the Great North Run and you say the same thing, you might find after a couple of thousand "I thought they said it was a flat course" it might get a bit much. image

What about a faster finish - I guess it's probably discouraging for the people who are tired and don't manage to increase speed at that stage anymore? Tough, it's a race. 

I didn't manage too well drinking from a paper cup and ended up spilling quite a bit of the water - is this a nuisance to other unners behind me who could be hit by some drops? LOL image You worry too much!

More importantly, enjoy your running image

• Options

Thanks!

Mick: the people I was referring to in my first question were those that seemed to have more or less the same pace as me - so, it was a continuous overtaking of each other, but ultimately, they seemed much fitter. So, I didn't want to be a nuisance to them by either overtaking when they were bound to get ahead of me again soon enough, or by just hanging on to them (easier than being the one "pulling" others, I guess).

• Options
    When passing people it is usual to shout “Ha, you suck” and push them as hard as you can into the grass verge. As for finishing strong and discouraging others. Yes do it, it’s a great idea. If when you get to the finish line you have enough breath left to turn round and unleash some vile comments regarding their training, running style, clothing and parentage, then do so.

Seriously though; run your own race and if you happen to overtake people great (even of they do overtake you in minute later), if you can finish strong then fair play to you.  Overtake on which ever side there is a gap. Chat if you fancy it, but don’t be offended if people don’t chat back, some people have to put more effort in than others. When you pick up the water squeeze the top of the cup together to make kind of a funnel and drink that way. You will still spill water though. In fact if you are anything like me you will break the cup, spill the water and choke on what little you do manage to drink.

Other advice; if at water stops the race has sponges don’t drink from them. Above all else have fun.

• Options
    Its nice if people feel friendly enough to chat but I just cant manage it beyond a nod and a gasp so dont be offended if they dont ( cant) reply!
  • Options

LOL Mr G!

The only point I would make is don't apply vaseline to any other body but your own without asking first. 

• Options
    image And never borrow someone elses. image
  • Options
    As you effortlessly jog past them, just tell them they're overstriding, they'll be eternally grateful image
  • Options

A few serious suggestions for race-day etiquette:

• say "thank you" to marshals if you can
    • don't start near the front unless you really are one of the fastest people there
    • if you're running with friends, don't run side by side making a barricade that other people cant get past
    • at drinks stations and after the finish, once you get a drink, don't form a blockage around the drinks table, move away so other people can get a drink
    • if it's not chip timing, then no overtaking between crossing the finish line and the point where they take down your numbers
    • once you've finished, make sure not to get in the way of other slower people finishing. It's easy to accidentally get in the way of the course if you're in a bit of a daze.
  • Options

Good points made!!! heres mine..

1. Beat as many people as you can and don't feel bad about it...its a race after all

2. Probably not best to talk to anyone...if you can, you are not running hard enough!

3. Warm down round the course backwards, so you can thank the marshalls and encourage the backmarkers

• Options
    No, please don't warm down by running back along the course.  You'll get in the way of the people still racing.
  • Options

I will thanks if the course is wide enough. Obviously not if it's a bit tight.

OK it's just a thought. But defo thank the marshalls...

• Options

Oh Kittenkat - thats a shame.

If I run back up the course a bit, it's generally smiles and laughing with people coming in. I'm not being arrogant at all, jut trying to encourageimage oh well...

• Options
    The only time i've ever appreciated it was the guy who won the last race I did ran back down the field and shouted encouragement to every runner he passed either by number or running club
  • Options
    Just a thought ... but when you've finished your drink at the drink station, whether it be a cup, bottle or whatever, could you try and drop it just by the edge of the road please, don't throw it in amongst all the brambles and stinging nettles. It's jolly painful work picking up cups from inside the hedgerows ya know! image
  • Options

mmm..fair enough.

I don't clap everyone, just a few to be friendly like!!

• Options

Do your warm-down elsewhere! My mum always comes in 10 minutes behind me in a 10k, and I know she'd be livid if I was jogging back down the bloody course while she was doing her final kilometre!

It's condescending!!

• Options
    small wrote (see)
    Just a thought ... but when you've finished your drink at the drink station, whether it be a cup, bottle or whatever, could you try and drop it just by the edge of the road please, don't throw it in amongst all the brambles and stinging nettles. It's jolly painful work picking up cups from inside the hedgerows ya know! image

Seconded!!

And while we're at it - if the race organiser has gone to the effort of providing a bin for said items, please use it.  The same goes for gel wrappers, tissues and any other items of litter you may be carrying with you (all of which should be carried - required a close approximation to zero effort - to the next water station rather than being dropped in the middle of nowhere).

And just to prolong the debate a little - whenever I see earlier finishers coming back 'up' the course looking for clubmates or whatever I take it as positive affirmation that I don't have much further to go.  It gives me a boost - I'm under no illusions regarding my level of ability and don't find it condescending at all.  I will note, however, that this is not something I do myself - in general, I barely have the energy to walk to the nearest piece of clear ground and collapse in a heap.

• Options
    Talking of condescending, it's a few years ago now and maybe times have changed but I took part in a race where wheelchair athletes were also participating. Many runners clapped as they passed them (these were the slower ones of course) and I joined in but thought afterwards how very patronising it must have seemed to them. Or am I being too sensitive?
  • Options

That's a tricky one, Graham.

You're congratulating people on their effort - would it be thought patronising or condescending if spectators clapped the wheelchair athletes?  I doubt it, so would it be seen that way for runners still running to do so?  I don't know.

I expect it'd be like anything else.  Some will think so, others will not. 

As we've seen from opinions on here about running back along the course.  I've never thought it condescencing when people do that, but clearly others do.

You can't please everyone.

• Options

That is a tricky one - does the wheelchair make a difference?  On many 'out & back' courses, I've shouted encouragement at people I know both further up and further down the course and, on occasions, I've extended that encouragement to complete strangers - either tail enders (who have looked like the needed it) or race leaders (who didn't!).

To anybody offended, or who finds this practice condescending, I offer my apologies.  I intend to be encouraging and, until somebody actually raises the energy to tell me to shut up and leave them alone, I shall continue to do so.image

• Options

Running back down the course when the race is still on going is very patronising IMO, it smacks of "I have completed the race and I can still run back along the course when people are still finishing", it's not good for those that have yet to finish the race, there are normally plenty of places to do your warm down without resorting to running backup the course.

As for encouragement, talking etc, I remember when I was very near the back of the pack (not that I am much further up the pack now), and found that encouragement and a little banter helped me no end, so now I am able to do the same as I make my way up the field.

Also, thanking marshalls is something I do, likewise thanking walkers / cyclists who move to let you past, if it's not a "closed" route, I did one race where I thanked a group of ramblers for moving to the side, I overheard them say "see, they are not all arrogant" as I went past, IMO, a small thank you costs nothing, even if you are flatout, you can certainly gasp out a quick thank you.

• Options
    I did my first real race a few weeks ago (first was a RFL) and towards the end some people were jogging back up the course.
    I found it very off putting,it fact I did wonder at one point if I'd gone the wrong way as I couldn't understand why these people were coming towards me!They were of course very encouraging but the marshalls had already told me the distance left so knowing I was nearly back and that I wasn't going to finish last was all the encouragement I needed!
    These people who like to jog back up the course should put themselves in the place of someone a lot slower(like me!) and ask themselves who they are really congratulating...