Options

Race day etiquette

Comments

• Options

I'm trying to tie down the post cross country drinking this season...to 6 maximum.

Good official rehydration image

• Options

Mick W - not offended in the least - just relieved it wasn't me after all image

LOL cake

• Options
    Lee-sterine (M.) wrote (see)
    People that insist on carrying junk (water bottles, teddy bears image etc.) on 10k races, FFS if you can't run a 10k without needing gob fulls of water every 10 yards there is something wrong with you!!!

OK I'm going to throw a hissy fit now, WTF is wrong with you that you can get so upset about someone carrying a water bottle???  I WILL be carrying mine when I do my 1st 10K in a couple of week and I will still have it in my hand when I finish as its my sports bottle that I take out on all my longer runs.  I am not an experienced runner so haven't mastered the art of chucking water down myselt at the water stations and as I will be nervous as hell prior to the race I will have peed out every bit of hydration that I've taken onboard before I even get to the start line.

Get over it, as long as they aren't whacking you in the face with said water bottle what does it matter???

• Options
    I agree with Caz - who cares if someone carries a water bottle?  Why would that bother anyone??
  • Options

I don't know why, maybe it's my advancing age, but I admit to finding the sight of youngsters (and it is mostly younger folk) carrying water bottles everywhere they go just slightly irritating, I'll put it no stronger than that.

Entirely irrational on my part and there's no earthly reason why they shouldn't. It's certainly not bad manners or anything. At least runners have more need for water than the average joe in the street.

• Options
    Ooh it did get all heated didnt it ?

I've no problem with people carrying their water in their first few races - it does mark you out as a newbie - but so what - we were all new once ?

I've never had the energy to warm down on the course - but there have been a few occasions were I have walked back down the course - once it was point to point, so I'd have been stuffed if I hadnt.
    I'd always give runners a clear path and I'd usually give them a clap or encouragement. If you dont like that or think its condescending - then frankly thats your problem and not mine ?
  • Options
    I agree, Cougie. It's also my problem, not yours, if I want to carry a bottle of water. It's still my comfort blanket!
  • Options
    Obviously it's a bit silly getting annoyed at people carrying water bottles in a 10K (even though it's against UKA rules... no, stoppit, breathe...), and I don't. It's just so not necessary if it's less than 35 degrees. Rather than point this out, I try to focus on the fact that they're making it more likely that I'll beat them. So it's a good thing all round - I get an advantage (and I bloody need one!), and they get their emotional crutch. Win/win.

;-)
  • Options
    Don't panic if I'm on a race I carry one as well just in case asthma strikes! image
  • Options

I think running down the actual course when people are still finishing might be considered a little rude.  If they're behind the spectators, I don't see a problem with it, especially if they make it obviously a really slow warm down jog, I think if they started going in the same direction faster than me on their "warm down jog", I might have something to say about it though.

I'd rather not think about snot rockets, but oddly enough spitting would probably annoy me more.

Drinks bottles do slightly annoy me, but more in a "you'd be faster if you weren't carrying so much water around with you" kind of way, I guess I want everyone to do their best in a race.

Slow people going too near the front annoy me.  I was sorely tempted the other week to go at the front of a race because I had the number 1, but I resisted because I wouldn't even be able to sprint away fast enough for some of them.

Groups running along with ipods in, next to each other, so they can't here people warning them of cars or bikes on the same route, but block the path as well.  Maybe this is one the race organisers should get tougher on, but people don't have to have both earphones in do they, even if they're using it for pacing?

• Options

Blimey what an interesting thread!  Really pleased to see "warming down" back round the course getting an airing as, I confess, I really don't like it for all the reasons others have posted about.

That said, I LOVE anyone who smiles/waves/cheers/chats at or with me at any point and I always thank marshals (on the way round, god, I'm not going back to do it, I can't move!)

But here's my pet peeve, and yes, I'm prepared to be flamed but what about spectators who give no acknowledgement whatsoever to anyone other than the ONE person they know who is racing?  Really, standing there for an hour or more scanning the horizon as everyone else trundles by.

Drives me nuts.  Like the sky would fall in if they clapped someone they didn't know.  I don't get it.

Athough this may be because I have no friends and am merely a sad jealous old witch image

• Options

Even worse are the marshalls who stand chatting to each other and let you go the wrong way! I'll make it clear that these are few and far between, most marshals are r*nners themselves and absobloodylutely great, but I have encountered a few of the other persuasion.

I lurve marshalling and supporting (which is just as well cos I haven't been able to r*n all year!) - it's great to see someone's face light up when you give them a cheer.image

• Options
    That happened at this year's promenade 5k in portsmouth... the first race of the series and the marshalls weren't paying attention... so the race LEADER (and eventually winner) went the wrong way.

That's got to be the ultimate excuse for not getting a PB.
  • Options

Water Bottle = Newbie...

Now see, I would've said the fact that I was at the back of the pack panting away like a pervert outside an all-girls school would've given it away that I was a newbie...

I love it when marshalls cheer you on and agree that people stood on the sidelines waiting for the one person they know to come along before they cheer are just miserable sods.

• Options
    Yep, had the dopey marshal thing in a 5K recently (can't they stay awake for ten minutes?). Had to shout out "Which way?" as they yakked on about the price of eggs or whatever. Hugely appreciated that they had taken the time to turn out and do it, obviously, so they remain in credit!

I am often a miserable sod of a spectator (not always, but often). Possibly because I don't personally like people yelling at me so I assume the same for others, but mainly because I am a miserable sod of a human being.
  • Options

If you don't need water on a 10k why do they have water stations? And if it is easier to drink from your own bottle than a plastic cup then what is the problem? And if you have travelled to a run by yourself (it happens - my wife would rather watch paint dry) you often have nowhere to leave stuff! And as for it being against IAF rules the day I trouble the first page of results I'll call myself on it!

And stop using "and" all the time...

And you are right, you shouldn't need the fluid but I was never breastfed so leave me alone...

• Options
    People carrying water bottles irritates me because there is just no need to have it, likewise having water stations on a 10k, pointless. If you've done enough training you should realise that you don't need keep chugging water every 10yards,  but therein lies the problem.
  • Options
    But to get back to the title of the thread, would you consider it a breach of etiquette? Or do you have an irrational fear of clean water (you're not a border collie are you Lee??!)
  • Options
    I guess it's not actually a breach of etiquette but having been on the recieving end of someones water bottle to the unmentionables as I was trying to get past them (it's already been covered about people starting in the wrong time slot) I thought it was not exactly sensible to be carrying the damn thing in the first place.
  • Options
    BuzzGB wrote (see)

If you don't need water on a 10k why do they have water stations? And if it is easier to drink from your own bottle than a plastic cup then what is the problem? And if you have travelled to a run by yourself (it happens - my wife would rather watch paint dry) you often have nowhere to leave stuff! And as for it being against IAF rules the day I trouble the first page of results I'll call myself on it!

And stop using "and" all the time...

And you are right, you shouldn't need the fluid but I was never breastfed so leave me alone...

Agree and PMSL!

• Options

Right at the beginning of the race I'm guessing when it was full and packing a punch? Not good!

• Options
    Yup, you guessed it. I mean jeez, I'll support and cheer on anyone who enters races and has fun doing it but if you insist on carrying a water bottle don't swing it around and pole axe some poor unfortunate soul. You really don't need to carry water, so why do it?
  • Options

Lee, I think you're possibly taking the water is not necessary thing a bit far if you think you don't need water stations on a 10k, presumably because you're fairly quick, so you get round before you get thirsty, the rest of us do need water stations, especially if the race happens to be a lot warmer than the temperature you're used to running at.  If someone was out walking for over an hour they would probably want a drink, so why not when running.

Race organisers cannot assume everyone has had perfect training and preparation before doing a race, especially the shorter distances, because the HSE would be on their backs if something terrible happened, rare as it may be.

• Options
    But what about the H&S of Lee's nethers??? Be fair to the bloke GG!
  • Options
    I think I've read that the body can run for an hour and a half before it needs water. I certainly don't use water stations or carry water on half maras or 2 hour training runs. I did a 7 mile road race last year that had no water stations (obviously one at the end). I'm probably going to get a barrage of responses now but it's only a 10k run! Why would you want to carry water, I fail to see any logical reason.
  • Options
    I think I'm with Lee on this - if you can get into trouble by running 10k without water - then I dont think you should be racing to be honest. This is Britain - not the Kalahari.

That said - if you are a beginner - I cant see the harm in taking a bit of water on the run. But its more for comfort than a medical necessity.