Options

Race day etiquette

Comments

• Options
    1. If someone shouts "Ogie! Ogie! Ogie!" it is good form to reply with "Og! Og! Og!"
    2. Don't have beans for breakfast.
  • Options

ok I won't do it anymore..ok?

Jesus Christ - Never knew so many runners were so sensitive. Actually I won't ever clap anyone again, too much trouble.

Anyway 'enjoy' your running. Feel free to slag me off if you want to, but there seems to be a strange running community that I don't really know of, with a deep seated disrust of anyone who trains hard, runs fast and 'OMG' might have the temerity to win the odd race - how arrogant.

My Dad has been running since 1984, so I have been brought up in the running club world - training hard, racing hard and having a beer and a laugh. This is much different.......

BUT cheerio to all the good boys and girls on here....you know who you are image

• Options

It's called a difference of opinion, chill out man.

You talk about over sensitivity, however, you are about to flounce out of the place because people disagree with you on a subject.

• Options
    Just to go off at a tangent here... Wouldnt it be really tricky to run the course backwards???  How can you see if you're going to trip over something or bump into someone??  I think its hard enough to walk backwards let alone run... image
  • Options

Hehehe - CazSoul

Being a slow plodder, I hate people warming down by running the course backwards. I don't need to know that you've finished the race already and the last mile is normally the hardest, when I'm digging in and working hard. Isn't the walk to the pub after the race a better warm down.

• Options

Interesting debate, this...

I got really p*****d off once, when I was digging deep to get through the last mile of the only marathon (so far) I have ever done. Some smart-arse overtook me with a cheery

"Come on!  Only a mile to go! Anyone can run a mile!"

and cruised past. If I could have caught them, I would have happily barged them into a ditch.

• Options

SC2 - you really have taken this the wrong way, if you're running back down the course just to warm down fine just be encouraging to the back markers coming in, but for gods sake don't get in the way its taken us longer to get round and we're probably tired and don't need some fast bugger getting in the way.

I am one of the back markers and it is annoying when those that have finished run back down the course but don't think of getting out of the way for those that are still trying to finish. 

• Options
    Errrr.......sorry Mick - that could have been me image.  Seriously, believe me, I've struggled in the last miles of some marathons and I've always appreciated someone saying such things to me - to me it shows that they've seen me and appreciated the hell I'm going through probably because we've all been there at one time or another.  It's not said in a condescending way.  As for 'anyone can run a mile' - well I must admit that is what I tell myself in the last mile (doesn't always work though!).   Hmmmmm.......... I will choose my words with care when passing runners at the end of races in future, not that it happens a lot, but I didn't realise it could be demoralising either....
  • Options
    Tigerlily - everyone's different. I absolutely detest any support, comments, music, whatever when I'm working hard. But I'm a bit odd like that.

I wouldn't run back down the course as it really comes across quite badly (and, like someone said, I'm too knackered anyway!), but if these people are on their way to see friends, loved ones or clubmates come in, then fair enough. I don't worry too much about it.
  • Options

I think it's the tone on which things are said. A few weeks ago I was in the last hundred yards of a 10K and someone in the crowd shouted "Come on old'un" at me (I'm coming up to 60). I could have taken offence but he seemed to be offering genuine encouragement in the way he said it and I took it that way, just giving him a wry grin.

As it happens I was finishing strongly in a respectable time for my age (for someone who's never been a serious runner anyway) and to be fair might have felt differently if I'd been on my last legs.

• Options

Wow!

I'm astonished by this. I was in a race last Sunday, and had agreed with someone else that I'd run back, after I finished, find them, and run in with them.  It was their request.  It didn't actually happen, because they had to drop out on the day...

I'd never have guessed that anyone would mind, as long as people running back make sure not to get in the way.

Now I've seen how some people can take it, I'll be a lot more cautious about doing it.

• Options

I think it is mainly a safety thing. Both runners going the "right" way and those going the "wrong" way are going to be tired and it increases the chances of a collision, especially if it is a tight finish.

If you're looking for clubmates or encouraging the field, try and stay behind spectators and out of the runners' way - they have as much right to finish unimpeded as you do - if you're just using it as a cool down and not supporting anyone (either vocally or by running with them) go find somewhere else to do it.

Other race day etiquette - if you bring spectators with you, keep them out of the queue for the loos until after the race has started. A runner's need is greater!

• Options

Sue, agree and if they are watching you at the start, make sure they ain't blocking off people from actually getting to the start of the race. image Rant over.

I've got to say I'm surprised to by people getting up set by being cheered on by a runner overtaking them. Always gone into races thinking we where all singing from the same hymne sheet as it were. Now in a mental block as to whether to stop doing it or not? image

• Options
    image I like cheese if that helps? image
  • Options

I learnt a new one on my third race - don't spit into the wind! Wasn't me spitting, but woman in front of me and ended up on someone's shoe. Twas very funny and she was mortified. If I'd had more breath I would have laughed out loud.

Turn up and enjoy it? I think each to their own about encouragement and running back down the course. Personally if somene is running back down the course I think 'oh, must want to get their mileage in' and nothing more of it. And I love people who take the time to shout encouraging things. Even if it is something odd. I'm chanting in my head 'who's in charge? I AM!' anyway, so  think my internal dialogue outweirds anything I hear from the sidelines.

Oh and carry on being smily and chatty with people before race begins. That's nice.

My only peeve when running races so far is people starting in the fast bit when they're not. It's not like I'm a speed queen, but it does mean they're more likely to be there for me to trip up over as our paces settle and i come from the mid pack.

And don't take your dog for a walk, on a lead, on the race course and stand on one side whilst your dog crosses the course. This wasn't a competitor, just a Mr J Public, but it was a terrifying, I could see a whole pack of runners about to be felled at knee level! image

• Options
    kittenkat wrote (see)

people who fire snot rockets without considering the wind direction

I'm such a child.  I've never heard them called snot rockets before, I just burst into a small fit of  laughter, much to the annoyance of my good lady wife. image
  • Options
    ClagClag ✭✭✭

Cake - don't stop encouraging people as you pass them! Some of us do like it. I ran the Moray Half Marathon recently and the faster marathon runners pass us slower people on route. I spoke to each of them as they passed, saying well done etc, and was quite delighted when they gave a smile, wave or a breathless word or two of encouragement in return.

Someone giving me encouragement does give me a boost, particularly when I'm finding it hard, and I enjoy a bit of banter along the way if anyone's willing to chat. Yes, there is the argument that I'm not running hard enough if I can talk as well as run, but I'm never going to win any prizes so may as well enjoy the experience. image

• Options

Tigerlily, don't be offended! Encouragement we all need from time to time, condecension we can do without though.image

Just to put your mind at rest, it was the New Forest marathon, about 5 or 6 years back.

• Options

Oh and...

3. Don't carry your mobile in you hand. You will drop it and i will be running behind you and step on it. It will not work after.

• Options

Thanks for all the comments. Perhaps I went a bit OTT this morning, but I can't seem to say a thing right on here sometimes.

I must be one of those people who comes across better face to face ....in the pub preferrably!!. Still think there are some way over sensitive runners around though!!

KK - nothing taken personally - no problem. image

• Options

i was going to comment

but most has been said one way or another -

a very interesting thread - with most interesting posts

• Options
    In the pub?  Excellent idea.  When, where and are you buying? image
  • Options

Agree with loads of the points here, especially

• supporters in the loo queue
    • overtaking then swerving in, cutting up the overtakee
    • walkers / v slow runners starting at the front

But, thinking about the thorny issue of finishers jogging back, I think it depends a bit. I feel it's OK if my in-built fitness detector identifies someone who was clearly going to finish miles ahead of me - but if I feel they're more in my league, it's somehow much less OK! image

• Options
    People that insist on carrying junk (water bottles, teddy bears image etc.) on 10k races, FFS if you can't run a 10k without needing gob fulls of water every 10 yards there is something wrong with you!!!
  • Options
    kittenkat wrote (see)
    Simon Coombes 2 wrote (see)

I must be one of those people who comes across better face to face ....in the pub preferrably!!. Still think there are some way over sensitive runners around though!!

KK - nothing taken personally - no problem. image

Before pint 4 I do too, after that threshold anyone is better off talking to a pickled egg in a bag of Salt and Vinegar

Arn't you usally talking to the toliet bowl? image