Options

Why do we do it to ourselves?

Comments

• Options

Oh, and to prove it.

Take the rejection magazine and look at the happy charity runners.

Then put their race numbers into last years results on the LM web site.

"Wow, Broke six hours, very impressive" 

• Options
    I would have thought people had to start somewhere?
  • Options
    am 1st time reject and am gutted about it.  when i think of those who have been successful who entered on a whim does get to me a bit.  am thinking about a charity place but do i need stress of raising 1,900 pounds? 
  • Options
    First time I entered I got in then a few rejects and then got a few in a row. It's random so if gutted don't lose heart.
  • Options

And what about those who DO train but still take 6 hours?  Are they any less deserving of a place because they took 6 hours?  Stop being an idiot, it's snobbery of the highest order.  I'll be hoping to crack 3:10 on the day, but if I do it, it doesn't make it any more of an achievement than someone who took two and a half hours longer.  For a non runner to COMPLETE a marathon is an achievement, regardless of time, and if they've raised money for charity, even better.  Even regular runners can take 6 hours.  It's comments like this that really piss me off, because people like you mocking a certain time could put that person off running again.

Anyway....

Going back to the 'London' thing, I'm realising an ambition by running it.  I know there are hundreds of other marathons, I'm really looking forwrd to running NY next month, but London is what I've grown up watching year after year since I was a kid, my uncle ran it a number of times and it's something I've always watched thinking "I'd love to do that one day."  So I for one, can't wait.

• Options

No offense intended Moscow Flyer!!

Everyone who gets round is a hero. Beginner, Club or International.

My point was directed at the "yeah, i'll think i'll apply brigade"- including some of my own friends who got their gold place in February and who did less than 100 miles in total training. And 8 pints the night before.  

• Options

Hi got asked about the ballot places on anouther thread so throught best to put it on here. Please don't anyone get me wrong if you are running for a charaty fair play and I hope you all the best and hope you do well and enjoy it. 

I just goggled but couldn't get past all the golden bond run for needy children things to try and check if this was right . My understanding and it is just understanding this may be rubbish is that a % of the numbers are for full-time marathon runner's who are invited , b % goes to the running clubs, c, big percentage goes to the golden bold charities (who have to pay, no-one wants to say how much, if you know please stick it on here), Then the rejected people from the last 5 years get in and what ever is left goes in the ballot. I think although I not sure and wouldn't want to say 100% that your age and time is split in the ballot. i.e. over 40 and run 5 hours 200 numbers, over 50 and run 5 hours 200 numbers etc..

This is the reason I get so frustrated by the ballot because something like 15,000 (2008 figure, source)  the race number's get taken up by the charities before it's even sorted out for anything else. It's block number's for then so charity a, get's 200 number's and have to pay for it and if a smaller charity ask's a number they won't get one.

Sorry to bang on about it today, it's just I don't think the way they run the golden bonds is fair at all and they are hardly honest about it, on top of wasting money that's for good causes. When and this is a cake crazy idea they could just charge the runner a normal fee and hold then to a contract to raise x amount of cash to a reg charity and in that way make things more transparent and also mean that a charity that isn't run very well, waists money but can get £ quickly to buy the golden bonds doesn't have all the other's by the balls. Tat for reading this I I will never mention again.

• Options
    image Oh god grammer worse than normal need to go to the pub image 
  • Options

1st time of trying - 1st rejection - not unexpected(though I did get in GNR on first try so sort of hoped that luck may hold)

Have another chance through club - checked out a few charity places but havent found one under £2k.  As I rang my first marathon this year and cajoled lots of money out of friends n family, really dont feel I would be in a position to raise that much.

Oh well - last chance is a club place - fingers crossed. 

• Options
    Do you not think that if you have been successful more than once that it would be a good idea not to enter again and again, these threads are full of runners saying i've got in for the forth time out of five etc, and full of runners saying i've not got in again after five times of trying!
  • Options
    image Mate there are runner's on here who do a marathon a month. London marathon is our version of the world cup final. If they changed the rules to give other's a chance I wouldn't agree but would be fare do's if it was done properly and fairly by all.
  • Options
    I understand that. I am just pointing out that just being a little less selfish would spread the chances of getting a place, even to those who run a marathon a month but still have not run in the golden event that is the London Marathon.
  • Options

Fair point sorry dude. Sorry for sounding like a arse.

The thing is some people who don't get in are now going through all the places trying to get in and they don't care about the charity. For the charity it's a massive pay cheque and for the runner's it's not. Used to do the same myself but got to hacked off with it a few years back. Not because of the golden bonds but because the admin of a charity was so bad that they wouldn't take the money after. That was for the Great north run not this one. Older and wiser now. If sort out cash for a good cause I make sure it is first.

• Options
    Nick, but what about all those who enter, get in but can't be arsed to run and in truth were never going to run?  These people who enter on a whim thinking they'll do it.  They're as much to blame, if not more, than the regular runners.  But why should the regular runners stop at one or two anyway?  It isn't selfish, runners like to run races.  This is my first time in, but even had I been rejected, I wouldn't have any problem with those who were doing there 10th race, but I would if I didn't get in because some fat bastard decided he as going to enter for a laugh and had no intention of actually doing it, but denying me a place in the process.  There must be hundreds of these each year, made even worse this year by the idiotic idea to open the ballot on the day of the marathon.  At least before you had to make a bit of effort to apply by looking out for the magazine.
  • Options
    Nick, I do see your point. I've just got home and found out I'm in again (that's twice in a row). Whilst obviously I'm over the moon I do feel for those that apply time after time and don't get in. However, the point is you don't know when your next chance will be, you may be waiting another 5 years before you get another chance to run London. I really thought I would have no chance of getting in this year, but by applying I could start to build my 5 rejections. I was planning alternatives at work today, but the postman really has made my day. I'm thinking that maybe it's because I'm from London? Or aiming for a relatively fast time? Who knows how they do the ballot?!
  • Options
    image  Hello everybody!  This is the first time I have ever typed a message!!  I am really excited as I have been accepted!  It is my 4 time in a row of applying.  I was exptecting the reject magazine for the 4th time!  I was shocked!  Well done to all that got in.  Sorry to those who did not.  Keep trying x
  • Options
    Hi Well done. Kate and welcome to the fold.image
  • Options
    Congratulations Kate! I was also really excited when I saw the acceptance form when I got in (about 10 minutes ago now!) Good luck with your training!
  • Options
    Thanks for the welcome Cake! 
  • Options
    All fair comments And i agree with the comment about people who don't bother to turn up. There is obviously no fair way and it's all down to luck. I can't wait to see if i'm in or not.
  • Options

When I got my ballot place two years ago, I decided to run for charity. Partly it was because friends kind of expected me too, partly it was because I though I might get all those nice perks at the end (massage, lunch, party etc).

In the end the second bit didn't really happen. What impressed some of my friends was that ran for Orchid which is a fairly unknown charity raising money to treat male cancers, a very neglected area health care.

Having run FLM now, I certainly wouldn't go for a golden bond place. Maybe for NY, but then I can just pay the cash to get a guaranteed place in that.

Better get saving then image

• Options
    No idea if in or not. But peeps in jan who post "Have you started training yet?" hurt me so. Its not right.image
  • Options

I've applied for the London Marathon 7 times.  Once in the eighties, once in the nineties, then 2005 - 2009 consecutively.  So I'm guaranteed a place for 2010 - unless they change the rules by then of course!  From the last five years I have 3 fleeces and two showerproof top thingies.  From previous applications I got a scruffy T shirt with the words "Flora London Marathon Official Runner" printed on, and the word "NOT" stamped in big red letters across it.  I was too embarassed to wear them, so they're no longer in my wardrobe.  I've run three marathons, and numerous half marathons, but to non-runners, all they ever want to talk about is the *beep* London Marathon.  So when somebody asks me if I've run the London Marathon, I just want to be able to say "yes" for once.  If I tell people I've done other marathons, they're not interested.  Maybe people think that other marathons are not as far or as difficult as London. 

So come on forumites!  How do we solve this?  How do we get other marathons to have a high profile, so that the FLM is not so oversubscribed that people hardly stand a chance of getting in?

Mind you - the entry system this time didn't help.  I predict a large number of no-shows this year.

This has turned into quite a rant - sorry!

• Options

The Beachy Head Marathon looks a dam sight tougher, I'm not fit enough yet to do it, but next year I will go for it!

• Options
    Phew! I'm not in. Entered on a whim then regretted it shortly thereafter. Way too far to travel and hassle with accommodation etc. Lochaber for me instead methinks image
  • Options
    Mr BumpMr Bump ✭✭✭
    kittenkat wrote (see)

AND I will always come back to my point that I think it is unfair that running is SO targeted as a charity thing to the point of putting the actual sport second.

KK - You are so correct.  image

Actually, I'm getting sick and tired of the weekly FLM e-mail; that says, "If you are accepted, don’t forget that you will still be able to run for a charity and be part of a team on race day - they don’t expect you to raise a minimum sum!"

• Options
    Johnny Blaze wrote (see)
    No idea if in or not. But peeps in jan who post "Have you started training yet?" hurt me so. Its not right.image

Three words:

Jade Fecking Goody