Comments

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    LOL - I'm off too Corinth, night night image
  • Options
    LIVERBIRD wrote (see)

Somebody must read those magazines.....

I couldn't bring myself to buy one. I'd feel like a chav just having it in my trolley.

In much the same way I can't set foot in Farmfoods....image

Good grief are you really that much of a snob?
  • Options

Well, these people are quite happy to build a "career" and substantial earnings via manipulation of their public image.

I can't really feel sorry for them when they get bitten on the arse by the beast they've created.

They can always choose to give it up and GET A PROPER JOB! Sow the wind and reap the whirlwind.

LB - if you come to Kenilworth we can go shopping in Waitrose togetherimage

• Options
    Nam wrote (see)
    LIVERBIRD wrote (see)

I couldn't bring myself to buy one. I'd feel like a chav just having it in my trolley.

I am image

• Options
    I always send the butler to Aldi to pick up my 4 kilo jars of dodgy mayo.
  • Options
    oh Aldi, thats ok, but I draw the line at Farmfoods...image
  • Options

I am no fan of Kerry Katona.  I agree with DM that she's still a human being, whilst also agreeing with those who say 'celebrities' make an informed choice to place their life in the public eye.

But does reading 'Elle' instead of 'Heat' magazine make you a better person?  Does shopping in Sainsburys instead of KwikSave give you legitimate ground for elevating yourself over other people?

• Options

it does where I live...

• Options

I've been shopping in Budgens and Waitrose - and I know which I prefer.

If only I could afford it.

4.99 for a steak pie!!

But they do lovely beefburgers. nomnomnom

• Options
    Johnny Blaze wrote (see)

They can always choose to give it up and GET A PROPER JOB! Sow the wind and reap the whirlwind.

JB, I really am no fan of Kerry Katona.  I think she's pretty talentless and made most of her fame as a consequence of marrying Brian McFadden (Boyzone were a tad bigger than Atomic Kitten).   There are plenty of non-celebrities who are equally affluent as a result of marrying well rather than any personal achievement, are equally shallow and have no idea what a proper job looks like...  it's just less public.

• Options
    kittenkat wrote (see)

It depends what quality of toilet paper you're requiring Nam image

double quilted is reserved for guests that are full of shit image
  • Options

I never said you were, Nam.image

But I bloody hate these celeb mags and the whole industry of micro-celebs they have spawned.

• Options
    I totally agree with you on that.  But then I actually find the normal women who strut around with their hair extentions, oversized bug eye shades and matching size attitude more irritating than the actual celebrities.  image
  • Options
    Hmm sounds interesting down your way. tell me more....
  • Options

Just because you don't have a job, does not mean you don't work.

Having been a stay at home mum, I am now glad I work full time.  It is much easier.

• Options
    Nam wrote (see)
    LIVERBIRD wrote (see)

Snob, no. I don't like airbrushing.

Food shopping - yes. I cook from scratch every day and the standard of food I am prepared to feed my family is far higher than that you can get in a freezer in Farmfoods.

Nam wrote (see)

Does shopping in Sainsburys instead of KwikSave give you legitimate ground for elevating yourself over other people?

Kwik Save was bought out by Somerfield and has largely disappeared.

*resists next comment about pot, kettle and black*image

My mum taught me if had nothing nice to say to someone I should say nothing at all.

• Options

Being a good parent is the MOST DIFFICULT job in the world. Being a stay at home parent is the best job I've ever had. There are those people out there who prefer to hide behind "work" and critcise those who have experiences of both and truly know which is harder.

I did the pinstripe suit thing and the power lunches when I was a financial adviser. It wasn't real life. It was work. It paid well and it taught me loads. It taught me that there is more to life than work and people can be very shallow and work colleagues are not necessarily work friends. I've never met a bigger bunch of backstabbers in my life.

Real life is getting up at three in the morning because your child has vomited into it's bed. Real life is wondering which way to run when one child heads for the railway line and the other is running towards a river. Real life is collapsing in a heap at eight o'clock at night when the kids are in bed and realising you haven't spoken a word to another adult all day and your husband is still not home because he's late at the office.

The people I have the greatest respect for are those who seem to be able to do both a paid job AND be a good parent at the same time. I take my hat off to you and salute you. image

I cannot imagine how tiring it must be to come home from the office and begin a day of domestic duties, cooking and looking after children. You must never go to sleep.

Now I must go and get the little darlings ready for their ballet class....

Actually, sod it - I'll get the au pair to do it...image

• Options

Well said, that man.

I read once that when you have kids its like stepping from the cartoon world into the real world, and from my personal experience I'd say that has some truth in it.

• Options
    Mr BumpMr Bump ✭✭✭

Nam - Personally, I wouldn't choose to shop at Farmfoods, or Iceland for that matter, but I accept that some people have no choice due to their level of income.  However saying that, why is it that practically every house in this dodgy eatate that I occasionally cycle through has a satellite dish?.   I refuse to shop at Iceland because by doing so I would be buying into the image that their marketing portrays.  Saying that, why is it that I would find it perfectly acceptable to shop at Aldi, but not at Iceland?  I guess it all boils down to marketing and the sublimal image it portrays. 

Liverbird - I do not find it at all easy to look after the kids in the evenings after Mrs Bump has gone work in the evenings.  I know Mrs Bump would like to be a full-time mum, would finances permit - so you're very fortunate.  Not everyone has that luxury, which I'm sure you are aware and so for a lot of people there simply isn't enough time to cook from scratch all of the time.  Saying that, there's no excuse for having fry-ups all the time either.  And yes, you're right about "Real Life" - like being up most of the night with a sick toddler, and then having to work a full day off practically no sleep.  Also, I agree with you about back-stabbing at work.  

• Options
    But the remark that lead to Nam's comments were a little snobby, no? I think your defence was a little OTT, LB.
  • Options

I've put up with a lot recently DM and let it go.

Maybe it was a bit vehement, but it's a culminator....image

I do that sometimes.

But the essence of what I said remains true, even if my method of expressing it is a little hotheaded.

• Options
    Mr Bump wrote (see)
    know Mrs Bump would like to be a full-time mum, would finances permit - so you're very fortunate.  Not everyone has that luxury, which I'm sure you are aware and so for a lot of people there simply isn't enough time to cook from scratch all of the time.  

Of course they can't, Mr Bump. I accept that completely!

I cook from scratch not to play the role of 1950's housewife (although Mr LB might quite like it if I had a ribbon in my hair when he comes home from work!) but because I have the time and the inclination to do so. I also know what I'm eating, which helps when you've got as many allergies as I have.image

You are absolutely correct that I am in a fortunate position. I never forget how lucky I am.

• Options
    Well I'd love to stay at home and cook from scratch every day but I can't  image  I'm lucky that I managed to get a job in education (when my second child was 5 months) so I at least I get the hols now but thats not always been the case.   I'd love to be a sahm or even to have grandparents within 150 miles to look after my children, while I have to work, but we're not that lucky.  However I live by the sea and in the middle of nowhere and at least I get the school hols with my kids and hubby and for that I'm grateful,  I coudn't care less where I shop, infact for the hols we try not to so we're out having fun, we all hate shopping in this house!  I love and appeciate (as I'm sure every person does) the time I have with my kids and enjoying life....... where I shop....I couldn't care lesss!!!!!
  • Options
    I hope people have taken the opportunity to read Charlie Brooker's page in G2 this morning...
  • Options

Yes, I've read it... it's also online ... Excellent.  Though, there is a slight whiff of hypocrisy from Brooker given his comments on other celebs

PS  Now know who Katona is... (I thought it was that French dude who played centre forward for Man U and used to talk a lot about seagulls)