Options

Calling all Flora London Marathon 2009 hopefuls...

Comments

• Options

Name: Megan 

Running History: I started running half marathons when I was at university more as a social weekend away than anything else. Last year I started to participate in triathlons and really enjoyed the variety of sports. Then at the beginning of 2008 i decided that I should take on the unthinkable and sign up for a marathon. I have never seen myself as much of a runner as I'm definately not 'built' for it but on 28th September I ran the berlin marathon and loved it. The atmosphere just carries you along and the feeling of crossing the finish line was fantastic.

Reason why we should train you: In Berlin I was not concerned with my time at all and completed it in just over 4 and a half hours. I was more focused on finishing but now I would love to go under 4 hours and feel that proper training from experts is the way to get there. With proper training I'm sure I'll enjoy the experience more and would love to run in my home town of London - after all you have rated it as the number 1 marathon!!!!

Predicted marathon time: 4hr

• Options

Brief Running History: I am 28 and I ran the London Marathon in 2006, which was the first time I had ever run seriously, I loved the experience but  chose to run with a friend who was injured so I didn't have the oportunity to run at my fastest pace. I have been running since then but nothing as long or demanding as a marathon.

Why I'd like you to train me: This time round I would really like be able to run the race in my fastest possible time. I am not the strongest runner but I love it, I find it relaxing and meditative and when training in winter I like to think of myself as Rocky (I'm a slim 5'4" girl!). To have the opportunity to not just enjoy the experience, but fulfil my potential and understand the workings behind how I should train and look after my body would be fantastic.

Predicted marathon time: Fingers crossed sub 4 hours... eek!

Cheers

Amanda

x

• Options
    Name: Matthew Lancaster
    Brief running history: I've run on and off since school where I competed in longer-distance and cross-country races but was never brilliant.  Few 5ks and 10Ks in the past but my fastest 5K is a not particularly impressive 21 minutes.  Another 10K in a few weeks time and more lined up the other side of a slightly longer challenge.....
    Reason why we should train you: I enjoy running recreationally but have never done a marathon before.  My background and career is a physiologist (I actually lecture on exercise physiology) so I can tell you all about the science of doing one but having never done it then the practical exam might be rather diffferent.  I'm really looking forward to testing the boundaries of theory and practice and what my body is capable of (will tolerate!).  So far this old bod (now 35 but will be 36) has not let me down and with intensive training and the right guidance maybe it is capable of great things!  Read a fair few books on different strategies for training for such a long event but all that's happening now is my head is buzzing, so would love the chance to meet experts who can help tailor my ideas and strategy into something that works for me.  I was born within days of Gebrselassie now I'd just like to get within an hour of his phenomenal record while the legs still work!
    Predicted marathon time: Hopefully sub 3:15!
  • Options
    Name: porl

Brief running history: 10 years or so running. Started entering races 4 years ago. PBs, 5k: 20, 10k: 42, HM: 1:40, Marathon: 4:03

Reason why we should train you: My shorter race times seem to align quite well with race predictors, but although I think I do sufficient training for a marathon, everything seems to fall apart. Perhaps the lessons learnt coaching me, could help a number of other people who might have the same problems?

Predicted marathon time: 3:15-4:00!
  • Options

Name: Heather Martingell - age 43

Brief running history:

Started running and training with Stoke AC at around 14 years old because my best friend was a very talented runner. (I wasn't).
    I came last in every Uttoxeter X-country race at the time.
    Went on to plod around a marathon (aged about 17) to raise funds for Diabetic Research and then used marathons to get fit for Raleigh International Expeditions.
    Having raised funds for the charity we work for along with doing the GSR for Childline, my workmate and close friend Sue and I go away for European weekend breaks ......with a long run of 26.2 miles usually on the Sunday. 

Reason why we should train you:

I was happily pootling along until a friend pointed out that I might have a GFA.  Didn’t know what he was on about and when I did, I really wanted a GFA.  Have narrowed the gap from 19 secs to 6 secs off for Boston but still needing a chunky 6 minutes off for London through 2 marathons this year,  I need that extra help to shave off that few minutes .

Predicted marathon time:3:44:59....or a tad less

• Options

Hi my name is Laura and I am 32. 

I have been running small distances as a way to keep fit for about six years now.  In January this year I decided to set my sites a little higher and applied for a place in the Great North Run which I got !  I printed off a training schedule and followed this religiously all year.  I completed the half marathon in 2 hours 17 and am extremely proud of myself.  Through training for the half marathon I have managed to end up with a heel spur – which I am now treating with help from the physio.  I think if I had a proper knowledge of running and training for such long runs then this wouldn’t have happened.

I am determined that I will run a full marathon next year. I did not get a place in the London marathon, however I do have a place for the Edinburgh one.   I feel with the right training and support I could achieve a time of 4 hours 20 or even faster.  I would love the opportunity to receive this proper elite training however even if I have to do this myself I am certain that by this time next year I will be able to call myself a marathon runner !!!

• Options

Name: Chez

I've always said I could never run a marathon...could that be about to change?  

My running history:

I've never been the athletic sort - outdoorsy yes, but happier bundled up in a fleece and most certainly hiding my legs from the public... 

Then as happens, a loved one became ill, so I thought I'd raise some money and it just so happened  that this coincided with adverts for my local Race for Life. It might not seem like much, but those 5k made me feel amazing.  

For the last 3 years, I've happily trotted round those 5k courses, thinking that was my limit. Until this summer when I 'accidently' ran 6k...then 7k... That's what a devious running partner can do for you! And yesterday I proudly completed my longest run yet, the Great South Run, a whopping 16k. 

I'll never be a speed demon - 2hrs 7 minutes yesterday - but my pace is consistent and I am determined to improve slowly but surely. I've come straight home and entered my local half marathon in March. Could that be part of a marathon training plan?? 

Why should you train me:

The honest answer is I'm not sure I could do it without your support. I battle with clinical depression and this often affects my motivation and self esteem. To have a team behind me, to help me reach such a momentous goal, would be incredible. 

Predicted marathon time:

With support, 5 hours would be brilliant, without...well perhaps 2010?!

• Options

Name: Captain Haddock
    Brief running history:  Ran my first half over 20 years and ran regularly for a few years. I then got married, had kids and became lazy and fat! I started running again 3 years ago (I'm now 41) after seeing a photograph of myself on holiday by the swimming pool and decided I'd better take some action. I have since entered several 10K's, half marathon and one marathon (Edinburgh in 2007 in a time of 3.25). Really enjoying my running again, I feel so much better and have lost some of the pot belly.

Reason why we should train you: I don't really follow any running or diet guides and feel as though I would really benefit from some advice. I just go out and run 3/ 4 times per week but never alter my training. The result is that I'm stuck running at around 7.15 - 7.30 minute/ mile for all races. With some proper guidance/ training I would love to get under 3.15, or better?

Predicted marathon time: 3.14.59, if the wind blows in right direction and I'm feeling good and I don't start of too quickly and I've got the miles under my belt before the day and....

• Options

Name:

Happychap

Running history:

I've been running pretty much all my life starting as a child when my dad used to take me and my brother out.  I've been running *ahem* competitively for the last six years or so finishing 5 of the 6 marathons I've started.  My marathon PB of 5.02 was achieved this year in London.  My slowest time was the incredibly hot 2007 London when I had to sprint to the line (ironically chased by a bloke dressed as the grim reaper image) to scrape in under 5.30.

Reason why you should train me:

In some ways very similar to the reasons in the posts above.  Despite a half PB of 1.58 I've never managed to crack the magic 5 hours for marathon.  About 3 years ago I was struck down by a mystery illness which causes lots of pain in my hips and lower back.  Eventually diagnosed as fibromyalgia, I've learned to manage it running 3 times a week with lots of cross training.  The 2 stone weight gain hasn't helped and so I'm really hoping that with some structured coaching and nutritional guidance I can lose some of the weight and finally achieve the sub 5 I've been dreaming about for so long.

Predicted marathon time:

Another vote for sub 5, but with a consistent training, a realistic target is 4.45.

• Options

Name: Rachel Neate-Stidson (38)

Brief History of Running: Have been running outside for about 10 years now after first getting the bug after doing the Race for Life. I worked my way up from 5k to 10k and have now done 5 half marathons.  I am not quick and the only person I compete against is myself and my previous (slow) time.  I have also used my running ability to raise money for charity when some of my friends have found themselves in situations. This has been a great motivator. I enjoy my running and try and encourage others to take it up/join me on my long Sunday morning trundles.

Why you should train me:  I want to be able to beat my times over all distances. If I could get my 5k time under 25mins I would be a very happy bunny indeed! The knowledge gained from the professional training could help me inspire others.

Predicted Marathon time: 4:30-5.00 hours based on current times, with the right training who knows.........2:15 perhaps!  image

• Options

Hi, I'm Tony Hodge (no relative of Richard Hodge - see above).   I'm 46 and would love to be considered for the team.

Brief Running History: I've been running for 25 years and my biggest thrills were running sub 3 hours in London as a senior male and then as a veteran over 40.   I've run a total of 28 full marathons with a pb of 2:56 (set in 2001).   I work for the Ministry of Defence and recently returned from Basra (after being there for 6 months) where running was limited due to rocket attacks on the Base and I also broke my ankle.  I was also in Afghanistan in 2006 where I organised and ran the "Great Kabul Run" (Half Marathon) and this was attended by/run by/reported on by Alison Hamlett, the Senior Writer of RW.   Following my broken ankle, I have now fully recovered and ran 57 miles last week as part of my training for the Hastings Marathon on 14 Dec this year and the Disneyworld "Goofy Challenge" (a half marathon and full marathon on successive days) on 10/11 Jan next year. 

Why I'd like you to train me: I am very dedicated and would now like to have the support and guidance to break 3 hours again in the next 'London' at the age of 47.   I ran the Salisbury Half Marathon in 1:30 last weekend and know that with that extra support and advice, I could achieve the magic 3 hour target again.

Predicted marathon time: 2:59 would be brilliant!

• Options
    Name : Russell Silsbury-Basey

Brief Running History : Very brief - I have only started running (2 months)!  After some inactive years since my wedding, in which I had been focusing on the family and the house, after turning 30 - I decided it was time to do something in my life and do a good cause and for lots of good reasons (fitness, weight, fun, for charity, new hobby etc) I decided to run for Sense (since my wife works for them).  I have no previous running history, had in the past occasionally played 5-side football and squash but that's it! I am currently doing 2 miles 3 times a week non-stop about 11 mins per mile.

Reason why we should train you: Since this is a new thing, I am finding it difficult with lots of running and training tips everywhere offering different idea of how to train for a marathon, and I have never done a race.  Your experiences, guidance and support would bring great benefits physically and psychologically for me to succeed.  I have people laughing at my idea and I am determined to prove them wrong.   In addition I have serious issues with nutrition issues, especially with a phobia of eating fruit and vegs (honest) and would love to seek ideas and help in that area.  I am 6ft 1" weighing 16 stones....

Predicted marathon time:  Primary goal:- to complete; Secondary goal:- in under 5 hours.
  • Options

Name: Fiona 

My Running History:  I've been running for less than a year.  I have now completed 4 or 5 5Ks, and a couple of 10Ks (fastest in 52:58).  Most recently I completed the GNR in 02:02:02 which was a huge achievement especially as I was right at the back of the starting line (was still doing a walk/run plan when I applied).  It was only thanks to the Lucozade super 6 and their training plans that I managed it!! 

It was such a great feeling to finish and feel like there was more there.  I never ever thought I could contemplate a marathon, but now......

Why should you train me:  I religiously followed the training plan for the GNR much to my bloke's amusement and generally find that I respond well to a fixed plan which tells me what I need to do.  I'd love to do a marathon now that I've done a half, but wouldn't know where to start.

Predicted Marathon Time: Really not sure but based on GNR hopefully 4 hours 15 mins.

• Options

Name:

Simon Gosling

Running history:

I started running late in July 07 having finally decided it was time to give up the evil weed once and for all and never having run before (I used sneak off in x-country at school!)
    After starting with some walk-run training I completed a mile for the first time in August 07, a 5k in September 07, 5 miles in November, 10 miles in January 07 and my first half-marathon in March this year. I tool the plunge and completed the Loch Ness marathon in Oct 08 in a time of 04:04:44 which was a disappointment by 4 minutes and 44 seconds!

Reason why you should train me:

I've come so far in such a short time but I need some help! My running "style" is at best humourous (and at worst criminal) and desparately needs someone to help me sort it out. I want to beat 4 hours in a amrathon (of course) but have the feeling that there is a 03:30 marathon in me somewhere - it just needs a bit of help to be let out. Mainly I am looking for your help because I can't believe how far I have come already (as someone who never been seriously involved in sport) and need to see how far I can go. It might also be nice to have some advice that will prevent me ending up back at the physio (iI had ITB problems whilst trainign for my first half marathon) through inappropriate training.

Last and not least because every run I do, I do for Marie Curie whilst  wearing my Deely-Boppers 9they went all the way aorund Loch Ness). There has to be special deely-bopper training you can give me?

Predicted marathon time:

< 03:59:59 (Please!)

• Options

Hi, my name is Christine and I’m 28.

When I started my long distance running training, my plan was to do 3 marathons with London being the third, hoping to achieve a time of 3:30 by this stage. I started with Rome in March this year and managed to go sub four hours – a time I was ecstatic with given the entry into the unknown. I entered for New York, but unfortunately didn’t get a place in the ballot, so went instead for the Long Beach marathon. Training was going well and my time was going down, until two weeks before the race when shin splints decided to crop up. Despite icing, a bucket load of ibuprofen and lots of rest, the pain was still pretty severe come race day. I strapped up the leg and managed to complete the race, raising over £900 for the British Heart Foundation – in just an hour over my predicted time (!)

With my leg still sore a month on, the word of the physio stating that I’ll be fine to start running training again in a month has lifted my spirits no end and I would love to run the London marathon. I need your help though! My confidence has been knocked by the injury and although I can’t wait to start running again, I am uncertain how to go back to pushing myself for a time whilst preventing injury. The training that comes with this prize would hopefully give me the self belief and knowledge to push myself to get a great time in my home town.

I'd hope for 3:40 time.. please!!

• Options

Name: Steve Greedy, age 42

Brief running history: I have run for general fitness from an early age, but I only started entering events during my build up to the 2006 Marathon des Sables. As well as completing the MdS I have completed 8 other marathons and numerous half marathons since 2005. I always strive for a PB and have achieved my goals to date, resulting this year in times of 3:11 for the Nottingham marathon and 1:24 for  the Cardiff half. I now believe that a sub 3hr marathon is a realistic goal.

I have just received my 5th FLM rejection, so although I am guaranteed a place in 2010 based on that or my recent good for age time, I had felt that FLM 2009 was going to be the ideal event to raise my game for, but alas it wasn't to be.

Reason why we should train you: I tend to put a lot of effort into researching the correct approach to training, nutrition etc. perhaps too much effort sometimes. In order to realise my sub 3 hour goal a higher commitment in terms of time will be needed, but I'm conscious that some aspect of my training will inevitably suffer whilst trying to balance it with the rest of my life. I already have the necessary commitment and mental attitude, but believe the backing of an experienced team will make the goal of a sub 3 hour marathon achievable, perhaps by a greater margin than I can imagine.

Predicted marathon time:  Sub 3 hours

• Options

Name - Wishful Thinking!

Brief Running History :- I have run on and off since 2003, mostly to keep fit. I stayed safe for a few years and stuck to 10k races which attracted a lot of runners so I was sure I wouldn't finish last! After my best friend was diagnosed with terminally ill cancer I entered a lot more races with the focus on fundraising but inadvertently got the running bug. I have done GNR and FLM.

Reasons why we should train you: I ran FLM this year but due to a bad fall at halfway I ran 13 miles in agony (and tears) and missed out on the sub 4 which I had been training so hard for. I promised my terminally ill friend, who was there to cheer me on, that I would run in FLM the following year and achieve my sub 4. Sadly she died in July this year and I am desperate to achieve that promise to her. I would love some structure to my training, help with my diet and nutrition and I want to run to my best potential instead of training haphazardly. I want the confidence to know that I can run and do it well. It would be an amazing opportunity for me to show myself I am capable of the sub 4. I am so determined to do it, I just need a lot of help!

Predicted Marathon Time:-I’d love sub 4, even if it was 3.59.59

• Options

Name: pmsbony or Peter if you want to be more formal

History: I used to run a lot when I was a teenager, but work, family, injury and apathy put a stop to that. I started again about 18 months ago after seeing a picture of me on holiday and realising how much I had let my body go in the past decade. Have since done a 10k and a half marathon and reckon I have a decent (sub 3-hour marathon) in me.

Choose me because: To be honest there are probably many people out there with far more worthy stories than me. I help out  my community when I can but my running is done for me. I have rediscovered my love for running that I had all those years ago, and would love the chance to continue that affair. My wife doesn't know I am besotted with running, my love and I meet furtively, on the quiet country roads on a sunday morning. we sneak some time together during weekday lunchtimes and I occasionally arrive home in the evening with red cheeks and all out of breath. My wife suspects something I am sure, perhaps your coaches can help me break it to her gently?

Target time: 3 hours.

• Options
    Yesterday 26th October my Mum passed away unexpectedly, I visited her just a few days earlier and as usual we chatted about my running I have just run my 181st full marathon a local event in Lincolnsjire. She said to me have you managed to get a London place for next year, being a 'cockney reject 'as we called her she absolutely delighted in watching the race and trying to pick me out. All those heads bobbing about she said made her dizzy, but she'd watch the main coverage and the highlights just to spot me and tell her friends she had seen me. I wore fancy dress for my last five London marathons over the past ten or so years to help her pick me out, and although she was dissapointed at me not getting a place for next year I said I would try my best, as she had been very poorly and it gave her something to look forward to. I know she wont be here now to watch this magnificent spectacle, but perhaps she could now  get the same view as the helicopters covering the event.   I would like a place in the race as it is always a great privilage for me, but also to remember a very special supporter of the race, my Mum.
  • Options
  • Options

Name    Will Tansley

Brief running history  I hobbled out of the Army in 1990 and after taking some time to recover, I ran without much seriousness every now and then. With life, work and family getting in the way, it has only been the last year or so that I have fallen back fully in love with running. I run several times a week, rain or shine and am at my best when I'm out, pounding the road.

Reasons why you should train me.   Despite doing everyting wrong, I tend to get it right. I don't warm up properly, don't vary my runs, do sprints or weight training or run as part of a group. Eating is the worst for me. I don't like much of the foods that are 'good for you', enjoy junk food and the occasional beer. But my times are constantly going in the right direction, I don't think that I'll ever give the Ethiopians sleepless nights but I think I can do so much more with the right guidance. Also, I have been trying unsuccessfully to get my six daughters into the sport. If I could show them what could be achieved with the right training, we could have six new ambassadors to our sport.

Predicated Marathon Finish Time.  I currently run half marathon distance at 1 hr 35 mins. With the right training I feel that I could break the 3 hour barrier.

• Options

Running History:  I started running in 1999 when I entered on a whim the Great North Run.  This wasn't my greatest running moment as naively my longest run was 5 miles - I thought I could wing the rest on the day!  This taught me a lot about pain and why training is very important!  Since then I have taken part in race for life several times, Robin Hood half, Bath half, few 10kms and 5 mile runs. 

Why choose me?  Well, last year I trained very hard for the FLM and got a stress fracture 3 weeks before the race!  I was completely gutted after training so hard and now I'm looking to start the training regime all over again.  I couldn't done as well as I did ( following the Garmin schedule to the letter) without following Sezz's forum.  It was inspirational to hear on a dark night that someone else was daft enough to be out running!  I know being on a forum would really keep me going especially as this year my fiance who also has a place in FLM again after getting GFA place, is going to be spending all of Jan and Feb in Iraq.  This means I am losing my personal trainer who kicks me out the door and keeps me going!  So I am looking for some virtual training partners instead! 

Target time: A hopeful 4.30mins

• Options

I took up running in 1999 to train for the 2000 London marathon. I completed it in 3.37 and was inspired by the event to continue running. I have since ran 6 north runs with my best in 2007 being 1.28. I am 46 years old.

In 2004 i couldn't shake off a niggly pain in my hip and knee which was later diagnosed as osteo-arthritis in the hip joint. I have managed to continue running without it deteriorating ,with the aid of glucosamine/chondroitin tablets and on the advice of my doctor have done a lot more off road work , completing the 3peaks race, man v horse and inferno mountain half marathon in Switzerland in the last 12 months.

I would like to be chosen for one of the places firstly to see if you could arrange a suitable training regime for me which involved plenty of off road work, to hopefully beat my time of 2000 and break 3.hrs 30 and to have a great marathon experience knowing i have prepared as best as i possibly could have.

• Options

Name: 

Rae, age 39
    Brief running history:  I have been running for about ten years, mostly 10ks and half marathons.  This year I am doing five half marathons.  I am not the fastest runner but I love running, whatever the weather, it always makes me happy.  I manage to get out between 3 and 4 times a week, averaging about 20 miles a week.
    Reason why we should train you:I have never run a marathon before but after many half’s, I need a new challenge.  I don’t know how it will differ from half marathon training.  I have never had any formal running coaching so I know I would gain enormously from the experience.  Just reading through the prize details makes my toes tingle! 

The main motivation for me is to raise money for charity.  This is a very personal motivation as I have a sick / disabled son and would like to give something back to the huge number of people who have helped / continue to help us.  Training with you would certainly boost my chances of raising money! 

Fitting in training is my biggest challenge, I work full-time, I am a mother, I am learning British Sign Language.  But, I am very determined and dedicated.  It would be good to prove that it is always possible to find time for running and that this brings a huge benefit to a stressful life.

Predicted marathon time: 

I would be spectacularly proud if you could help me get round in 4hrs 30mins.

• Options

Name: Steve Beck (42)
    Brief running history:
    I did a little at school then a 10 year binge of drinking and smoking ended during a bet in the pub one night in 1992 with mates. 'I bet you couldn't complete the Robin Hood Half Marathon this year starting with a 6am run tomorrow..!'  I recall from a mate... Out of the 8 of us I was one of two who made it to the start line having trained for just 8 weeks and producing a 1:42 debut. Hmmm... maybe I should set myself a sub 3 hour marathon goal next. It's been my dream ever since and despite a 1:18 half in my peak year back in 2000 I've never managed it having given it around 10 attempts. I've come close with 3.01.57 and 3 times doing 3.04. I managed 3.10 at this year's Robin Hood and still believe my dream is possible. I am currently training to get back to my peak of 8 years ago but age is now making it more of a challenge than ever!
    Reason why we should train you:
    To reach my 16 year old dream and help my mental focus. I would also love the opportunity to raise money for a deserving charity www.cpsport.org through the publicy.
    Predicted marathon time: 2:55image

• Options

Running History

I started running in 1992 but in 1996 was struck with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.  After trying every possible means of recovery from yoga, flexology, meditation and rest I finally found some medication via my GP ( a runner himself) and got my running legs back together in 2000.  Since then I have completed the London marathon twice

Why choose me?

I'd like fellow sufferers to see that you can manage and recover from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.  I still have to be aware of how hard I push myself and I would love the opportunity to work with some professionals to make my training efficient and effective.

Target time

Well it has to be for a PB of 3:40

• Options

Name: Jon Parsons

History: I started running 10 years ago (aged 20), initially to lose weight (over 6 stone in total, pretty much all thanks to running!). After a year or so of improving, I entered the 2000 FLM. It was the most amazing experience of my life, including the training! Since then I have run most of the time, but in the last few years have been trying really hard to get back to that special feeling and fitness I had back then. I have been doing half marathons, triathlon and one Half Ironman. 

Choose me because: Since I missed out in the ballot AGAIN this year (5 times in the last 6 years!!), I have been feeling pretty fed up as I was so excited about doing it again. I saw this competition as one of those 'Charlie & the Chocolate Factory Golden Tickets' moments! Not only would I get to experience the whole build up and excitement again, I would have experts helping me to be the best that I can possibly be. Also, entering is part of a 'grand plan'. I am doing my first full Ironman Triathlon (in Austria) next July, and doing the London Marathon would be a wonderful step in the journey. I can see many fantastic stories on this forum, so I would be incredibly lucky to be picked. I can promise you that I would approach the challenge with a bag load of enthusiasm & dedication. The opportunity would mean the world to me.

Target time: I am aiming for around 3h 30 (I did the 2000 FLM in 3h 50m)

• Options

Over 45 next year.

Have completed various events including 6 ironman triathlons. Never quite nailed the training for the marathon but would great to see just what you could do with the right training and focus. Would still like to do the triathlon training - Austria Half Ironman in May 09

As the years rise so does the weight and expectation.

Would be great to see if I could make 3.15, best to date at London 3.45.

Can you do biking/swimming/weights and do a PB for a marathon - be good to see!!

• Options

Name - M ark Churton (40)

I had to run when i was in the Army, at that time i did not enjoy my running and at times struggled to complete the basic fitness test.  However in 1999 i started running again, this time becasue i wanted to and not because i was  being told i had to.

In 1999 in order to raise funds for a friend who had a brain tumour, a group of us from work did the GNR.  We had such a good laugh and enjoyed the whole weekend.  We then all stopped running until a copule of months before the 2000 GNR when we started training again in readiness for that years race.  This pattern repeated itself until 2002 when i realised that i was wasting a lot of training in preparing for a run and then doing nothing after for another 12 months.  I joined a local club and have not looked back since.  I have completed in 8 GNR's, the last Stoke on Trent Marathon  3 London Marathon's and this weekend (2/11/08) i am doing the New York Marathon. I compete in a local running league both for road races and cross country.

My PB for the half is 1.36 and 3.41 for the marathon.

Running for me is not just about racing,it helps me with many aspects of my life.  It helps me relax and clear my head, in fact i wrote my wedding speech whilst out doing a 5 mile run on the morning of my wedding! 

Reasons why you should choose me:  All the marathons i have run have always been for charity i feel that i have put a lot into the sport whether it be organising the works cross country team, establishing a junior section for  our club or just organising social events for runners and their families.  I do this because i enjoy it and do not expect any reward but this prize would be a reward and i would cherish the opportuinity.  If chosen i can assure you of my commitment and dedication and would hope with your help and motivation i could achieve a sub 3.30 marathon. 

Expected Marathon time - 3.30   

• Options

Name: Jane Malcolm

Brief running history: I have been running for 21 years and I have run many half marathons, 10k's and 5k's.  I have completed 3 marathons whilst bringing up my two children, working and completing a BA Childhood studies and beginning an MSC at University.  I have run through pregnancy, sore knees, and a weak pelvic floor (okay that was trying for the sympathy vote although it is a real problem and I am dead proud of the three marathons I have finished despite having this prob!!). Running has seen me through good and bad times and I can't imagine life without it! I prescribe to the penguin method of running though, slow and steady!!

Reason why we should train you: I will be 40 next year and this will be my 4th marathon and I am determined to finish under 5 hours so that there is a 4 in my race time!  I have been trying to get into London since I was 30 years old and again have been turned down.  I stupidly missed a year of just entering to use up my five shots  and like snakes and ladders slithered all the way back to 1!  London has been an ambition of mine since I started running 21 years ago.  I always said I would run London when I was 30, I have now shifted that milestone to 40!  Please, please let me realise that dream!!!!!!!

Predicted marathon time: 4hours 59 mins (or faster if I can - I have finished other marathons in 5hours)