Options

Calling all Flora London Marathon 2009 hopefuls...

Comments

• Options
    Name: Craig Beaumont

Brief running history: Not sporty at school, it was only at a military fitness training session where I realised I was winning the running sections. I can now do a sub-20 min 5k, a 40-minute 10k, and a 95-minute half-marathon.

Reason why we should train you: A marathon is a completely different race to these, and I have no idea how to work on a training plan and strategy that goes beyond "just getting round". I reckon my experience on the plan would chime with the greatest single block of RW subscribers - eager runners that have developed quite some way and made great strides (arf) in time and technique, but still can't really do a marathon justice and to their full potential.

Predicted marathon time: Would love to go sub 4 hours, potentially - possibly - a bit quicker.
  • Options

Name: Stu

Brief running history: I have been running on & off for 4-5 years now, the only official race timesI have is  a  1:50 1/2 marathon and a 48 minute 10k.

Reason why we should train you: Because I have lost motivation, I was admitted to Hospital in March this year with a viral infection, since then I have barely been running. I need a focus and a goal to get me back out there & to be honest a kick up the backside wouldn't go astray either. But the main reason I want to do it is to raise money for Sue Ryder & Macmillan Nurses, the care and service they provide is priceless and needs continual backing. And from a selfish point of view I want to prove to myself that I can get my fitness back. I have done it once before and I don't want to let myself slip back to how I was before.

Predicted marathon time: I'd say sub 4 hours, because I have no real clue how fit or unfit I am right now

• Options

Name Adrian Stones

Running background

I began running about three years ago. I had never done much exercise before and wasn't sure where to start and thought running may be a good way to get fit. I really started enjoying it and started to run a few 10k races and half marathons. My times got increasingly better and i became fairly addicted to running and exercise in general.

Why me

I've never done a marathon before and have entered the London marathon a couple of times but never got a place. Several months ago I decided to do a local marathon as I wanted to see what time I could do it in. However a few days before I was assaulted walking home and suffered some quite nasty injuries, including a broken wrist. It's taken quite a long time to get over the injuries, and I have only just started to be able to do exercise in the last week. The time off has taken its toll, and my fitness is nowhere near where it was beforehand. I'd like something to train towards to give me the motivation to get back into shape. Getting some help with the training would be good as I've never had so much time off training and getting advice about how to get back to form would be helpful. I'm pretty dedicated and keen to get over the injuries by focusing on doing something i've always wanted to do.

Predicted time: I'd hope to do it in less than four hours.

• Options
      I am now 42, and started running 4 years ago. I needed something to replace cigarettes.  My training to say the least is ad-hoc.  Due to work and family I don't train to the optimal level. I don't think my diet is at it's best, even though my wife does try.  I love running, it's just I'm not very good.  I get there through sheer pig headed determination, although my speed is left wanting.  I took part in the Snowdonia Marathon Saturday, that was an experience for a first marathon, and 6 hours 4 mins later crossed the finishing line.  I want to see an improvement in all parts of my running, but I am one that works better given direction, as I take instruction well, so I'm told.  I would love to get my time below 4 hours, for a flat course anyway (no more hills till next October).  I would have no problem sharing my experiences, and would hope it may encourage the less able of us either to start, or keep going.
  • Options

Yo Peeps.

Name: Fat Face.

Brief Running History: I started running in 1982 when a notice appeared at college asking for volunteers to push a bed around the Manchester Marathon. Unsuprising, I did a rubbish time (hospital beds are bloody heavy you know) but I enjoyed the whole experience. After following advice, I eased up on the training for a while afterwards and then after not running a step for 6 months I entered another marathon as a drunken student bet. I then ran it 5 days later. Very suprisingly, I did a PB. Since then, after another 4 marathons, I've reduced my PB by a futher 2 hours.I've also run dozens of half marathons, 10K's, 5 milers etc but a sub 4 hour marathon is my ultimate goal. My current PB is 4:14 and a bit.

Reason why we should train you: I've been a RW forumite for as long as anyone on here (in excess of 8 years, so if anyone knows the way out please email me) and I've never won a thing. Oh, actually I'm lying there. I won the 2007 RW award for the person who looks most like their avatar, but I promise to put a cork in it to prevent injury to other participants should I be one of the chosen few. Running has kept me sane over the last few years after some traumatic and life changing incidents including the untimely death of my wife from cancer. I know that, with proper training and a goal to aim for, I can reach my marathon "Holy Grail" of sub 4.

Predicted marathon time: 3:59:59 (or 1 second faster than Coops, whichever is necessary).

• Options

Name: Michael Holden.     Age:59.    Why?      Many good reasons why I deserve one of these valued places.

I train regularly and am not a fair weather athlete, running & supporting the sport all year round. Marathon training 30/40 miles a week. I have entered the one off Hastings marathon on December 14th as a prelude to breaking 3.30 marathon time barrier next year. I coach at Thames Turbo Triathlon Club, coaching juniors & seniors alike. I take track session training on Wednesday evenings & our Saturday morning run sessions. I coach and help many athletes and in return am never fortunate enough to have coaches help me achieve what I percieve to be a realistic goal.   

Current number of marathons: 9. 1st : London in 2001, 3hours 38 minutes. Last:  September 2008 in Lake Garda in 3.39.50. Best result 3.00.02 in Lake Maggiore in 2004.  I also have a belief that it's possible athletes don't have to lose the 1%  in performane once over 40years old as in my case. 

Running history: Ran since the early 1990's, no breaks. Discovered the huge benefits of a stretching programme in 1999 which enabled me to run marathons without getting injuries.

Recent 2008 race results: Kingston 16 miles 1.58.30. Cabbage Patch 10 miler 70.00.06 second. On these times I have a possible sub 3.hour 30 in me

Goal:  To break 3.30 at 60 years old. Is it possible with more professional coaches?  Only you, the committed runner can decide & follow my story .

• Options

...that Neil Emmerson 1 must be an idiot on blogging.  So, heck. 

I am an aged trainee Minister-ian but an equally aged ( x 9  Marathin Man), OK mara-fat - Man.  I have recently been taken on as a Director of a Leeds based Charity for the homeless - St Georges Crypt.  So can I raise money for them?

I have now shown my ability to run 26 miles.  And to raise money.  And just for fun, and joy in my faith as I plod. 

In fact, I ran the first ever London marathon in 1981 and have that Medal and photo.  Symmetry, 28 years on?   

• Options

I’m Vikki.  I am 37 and have been running on and off for 5 years.  I started running when I was trying to sort out a back problem and weight gain I had after having my daughter.  The personal trainer who was working with me suggested a 10k and after some major panics I caught his running bug and went from non runner to completing the race in 51 mins after only 4 months training.  I then slipped on some ice, got injured and couldn’t maintain my training.  I started running again last year following an episode of depression and it has been my lifesaver since whenever I felt bad I would put my trainers on and run and feel fantastic when I got back.  My current 10k pb is 47:08 (aiming for sub 45 in my next race).  I recently completed my first half marathon in 1:44:39 and am looking to improve that time.  I am a member of a running club and train 5 days.   I always said I would do a marathon when I could do it in a decent time and of course London is the ultimate race to do.  My target time would be around 3:45.  I am an extremely determined person who would really benefit from the advice and support the prize would give me and I would gladly share my experiences throughout the training period and race.  Being a teacher I know this would also encourage the children to take up exercise too.

• Options

Name:  Cheryl Gorga

Running History: I have been running on and off since the year 2000.  I firstly got into running when I signed up for the London Marathon 2000 at the age of 18 after undergoing major spinal surgery to cure my acute scoliosis.  Although I couldn't train as much as I would have liked (due to having such a weak back from wearing a back brace for 5 years) I still completed the marathon in 6hr 21 minutes.  Ever since then, I have been running on a regular basis and did my second London Marathon last year and finished in 5hr 1 minutes - a great improvement on my time I'm sure you would agree. 

Why me:I would like you to train me because I'm always trying to prove to those around me that I have overcome all my back troubles, and now am just as fit and capable to run a marathon as the next person.  Hopefully I have inspired a few people along the way too. 

My predicted time:  With your training and expertise for the 2009 marathon would be sub 4.5 hours.

• Options

Name: Gibbo

Running History: I fell into running by mistake to try and impress/keep up with a mate of mine who'd applied into London 2003. In the end I got a place (through Shelter) and he missed out, so I had to go it alone. Finished in 4:10 and, after a swearing never to run again, ran Paris in 4:01 (2006), New York in 3:59 (2006), Berlin in 3:55 (2007) and Reykjavik in 3:45 (2008). So I'm hooked. I've raised over £7k along the way for various causes important to me.

So why me? Well, in terms of running training I'm my own worst enemy - lack of discipline, poor diet, and no one to train with...I'm finally getting a bit bored (and lazy) and want some company and a new challenge. My training buddies live in Leeds (I'm in London) and are due to have a baby any day now, so they're off the scene for a bit. I'm starting triathlon training in the hope that'll improve my times but really want something (and someone) else to push me on that little bit further. The Lucozade Super Sport Six sounds just like what I need! And with the pushy and (over)competitive streak I have, I hope maybe I can give something back too and help someone else out with their training. Sounds like a pretty good combo to me.

Oh, and at a towering 5ft 4in, it's pretty amusing to watch me run...

• Options
    Yes, vote for Fat Face!! (takes emphasis away from Coops' campaign..........)
  • Options
    image No vote coops. I think he's just realised how much work this is going to take. image
  • Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Name: Joddly (Jo)     FV45

Target time 3:30

Why me?

I came close to 3:30 10 years ago in London, but missed by under a minute. Getting older, it seemed an impossible target, so settled with sub-4:00s for a number of marathons. Then, London 2008 went much better than expected, and I came in inside GFA time at 3:41:30 , starting an inkling of an idea.... Next step was to try to get halfway there at Abingdon, meeting my 3:36 target with 12 seconds to spare. That was hard, probably due to starting too fast, despite 3:30 never really being a possibility.

Now, sub-3:30 in London 2009 is my goal. I'll be using the RW schedule as usual (currently starting a truncated version of your new schedule for a new 10k PB on 14th December).

Ah, yes - why me? Just because I think many others will share the same problems of fitting shedules around work, terrain, daylight, motivation, weather, family, holidays,.... (goodness - how do we do any training at all?!). As I've said before, I have really enjoyed and benefitted from reading others' experiences, and hope I could return the favour. For me, 3:30 pace is uncharted territory, and at 45 I'll need all the help I can get!

• Options

My name is Sarabjeet Dhaliwal. I am 21 years old. I have been running since the start of 2007. I first started running because it was good stress releaser. I found it helped me take my mind of a lot of things I was going through at the time. The idea of stopping for a break whilst running scared me, so I kept on stepping up my training and surpassing the pain barrier each time. After about 4 months of running every day a distance between 4-10 miles, I decided that I would enter the Wolverhampton Local Full Marathon.

My first ever Marathon I successfully completed it in a time of 4 hours 32 minutes. I learnt a great deal from my first marathon. I learnt not to give up. It not only challenged me physically but also mentally and I truly believe it made me a better person. My opinion towards life changed and after that I believed I could and would achieve anything in life. Completing a marathon made me stronger person mentally.  I know if I am chosen to represent Luzozade sport I will not let them down and complete the London Marathon with great pride.

• Options

Running History

I began running to keep myself fit during pre-season rugby training,and found i quite enjoyed it and it wasn't as boring and dull as i thought it would be!During a Rugby trip,i got talking to a guy who had run several races and in a drunken state,i stupidly said that i could run a marathon,he got me an entry form a few days later,and in April 2002 i ran my 1st FLM in 4 hrs 24.I was hooked,i've run many races since mainly 10k,with a pb of 42 mins,i have a pb of 1 hr 37 for the half,and this year got my pb in the London Marathon  (my 3rd) of 3 hours 44,finishing just behind Gordon Ramsey,not bad for a 38 year old! I still would consider myself a 'fun runner'-i run for fun and the enjoyment it gives me,especially when i pass my local club runners!

Why Me?

This year was the 1st time i had trained properly  for any race,i followed the RW training plan,and felt great!I believe with the right guidance and training i could go under 3 30,however,work,the weather( i hate the cold!) and my kids often get in the way,i know i can do it,i just need help in getting there!

• Options

I'm 38 never done a marathon but have done trhe last four Great South Runs at around 1hr 20min and the Reading Half Marathon 2008 at 1hr 54min. I began running in 2004 when i decided i wanted to be a Special Constable, i passed the fitness test with ease. I have never been in a running club but have continued running for the last 4 years through being self motivated. I set myself challenges like the Great Self Run and endeavour to beat my previous time, i run alone as it's a case of fitting it in after work at various times of day.

Current goal i missed the ballot for the London Marathon but beleive if i was to obtain a position in the run i would have good time to build on my stamina. I'm not one for bashing people for sponsors well not every year, i tend to raise money every other year. If i were to gain a place i'd hope to run between 3 and 4 hours realistically.

I'd be really pleased to receive some professional advice.

I'd also like to complete a Marathon before reaching 40. I'm in very good health and see no complications with achieving this series of events. And if i have to i'd wear something silly.

• Options

Running History: Now 37 years old. Started running 12 months ago after ill health. 1 Marathon @ 3hrs 53 mins having hit the wall at 18 miles despite being a slave to the runners world training schedule! Ran Bham half yesterday in 1hr 36. So predicted time about 3hr 20 minutres, which is 33 mins faster than I ran the real thing 6 weeks ago!

Why train me? Having hit the wall so hard 6 weeks ago I think the race time predictor is far too quick for the marathon. The runners world training schedules are great but I dont think they push hard enough at times. I am intriged to see what difference proper coaching could make. This could be a once in a lifetime opportunity to run London and I want to give it my best shot. I want to exceed the predicted time as I think I am still fairly new to distance running so I am hoping there is loads of improvement to come with the right guidance. I ve read all the books inside out and need individual advice. Also I am doing the London marathon in aid of a brain tumour trust charity as the illness affects the yolung son of my friend so any extra angle that I can use to help raise the profile of the charity would be fantastic.

Also I have 3 young children so need new kit and free lucozade! 

• Options
    I began running not much over 2 years ago. I was trying to arrange my 40th birthday party but most of my close friends were planning to take part in The Great Scottish Run the following morning and were not too keen to party. The race was on my actual birthday and it just seemed that I had to do it. I had never run before and I was not exactly in the habit of taking regular exercise. My first training run came as a real shock as I discovered that to run for even 2 minutes was well beyond me, but I stuck at it and completed my first 10K on my birthday by which time I had well and truly got the bug. Since then I have continued to run and have taken part in quite a number of races around Scotland and even one in Amsterdam.
    Running has become such an important part of my life, with two young children and a demanding job (Head Teacher of a Primary School) it is the thing that keeps me on track. I am very goal orientated and the challenge of completing my first marathon would take me to a new level. I am keen to encourage the young people in my school to be active and we have running and jogging clubs in the school and to share this type of experience with them would be fantastic.
    I would hope to complete the marathon in less than 4 hours 30 mins.
  • Options

Name: Adam Jones

Brief Running History:

Ever since I was at school I have been a distance runner, I was never built for speed, especially as a kid, but always enjoyed the freedom and 'high' of running. I initially ran just for fitness but needed some more motivation so started running 10K road races and of course progressed from there to Half Marathons and ,hopefully, Marathons.

Reason Why We Should Train You:

I currently run 3-4 times a week on average and work to a periodised training programme based around a number of events a year. Whilst I have a good knowledge of training methods and nutrition I sometimes lack a bit of guidance and advice, and so usually have to refer to the (web)pages of Runner's World and Lucozade.com I feel that I would be able to gain a huge amount from the experience on offer for which in return I would be able to share that experience with the readers in the hope that I could help with other runner's training. I am a keen runner and enjoy contributing to forums, I also have no problems with sharing my experience through video or written submissions.

Predicted Marathon Time:

3:45

• Options

Running History

I started running 9 years ago after walking my first marathon and finishing last. I could never get the hang of walking faster so started to run. I then started a jeff galoway run walk regime and ran walked a few marathons before moving on to just running.

I have progressed on to all running and have completed plenty of half marathons and a  couple more marathons inlcuding leicester just over a week ago. I have always been a bit of a plodder and although my speed is increasing I am disappointed that I end up walking so much in the last 6 miles.

Why you should chose me

I am 44 years old and feel that have not even come close to potential in marathon running. I feel with targeted training that I could finally break 4:30 in the marathon and show that although i may be middle aged I can run every step of the way. I already have a ballot place but i have been turned down 4 of the last 5 years so want london to be my best ever marathon.

• Options

Brief Running History:

Hmm, to be honest I'm a beginner runner, at 34. I'm not built like a regular runner (short legs and not exactly slim), so never thought I could run, let alone a marathon. I started running 5km and 10km fun runs in London, which I've loved.

Reason Why We Should Train you:

To show other short legged, non athlete built people that we CAN do it and you don't have to be an athlete. I am determined and willing to listen when given advice on my running technique, diet and how I can improve. I am still a little lost as to the best way to train, and believe that I can share this learning experience with other new runners who also just want to get out there and give it a go for the fun of running.

Predicted Marathon Time:

I would be thrilled if I ran across the line, waving to my fiancee (probably very red faced, but smiling from ear to ear), at under 5hrs.

• Options

i have been running since 1986 when i gave up smoking

i have run 18 marathons and have lost count of the halves and 10 and 5 km races i have done

i enjoy running so much that even at the ripe old age of 66 i dont see why i should give it up even though my marathon times are over the 4 hrs now

to run in the LONDON MARATHON  would be a dream come true for me 

we came to live in NEW ZEALAND when i was 15 in 1957 and i have always wanted to come home to do some runs there

so even though i know you probably wont even consider someone from so far away i reckon its worth a shot

many kind regards

yours in running

kay barnes

• Options
    Cake wrote (see)

I'd like to nominate Coops and also Farnie please.

For those that don't know them I'd like Farnie to do it because she has been very good in her last few races prepares well, always has a plan and I think it would be interesting to see how she copes with this distance.

Cake.......

you can f**k right off love.

No chance.

not now not ever.

• Options

Hi, I began running four years ago at the age of 44. My very first race was a marathon using your own training schedule. My time for my first marathon was 3hrs 35 min. Since then I have progressed steadily using various training techniques, trying to adapt them to suit my own personnel circumstances. This month I managed two PB's at half (1hr 27') and marathon (3hr 12'). My target this year was to earn a 'good for age time'. I hope to keep improving for a few years more, and to allay old father time!

My target for next year will be for the holy grail of a sub 3 hour marathon! I feel I am capable of achieving this goal with all the right ingredients! As a postman I have the time and commitment to enjoy the training, however hard it may become! I rarely get injured due to my attention to detail with regards to my running style!

To reach my running dream I will need lots of help and advise! I have the enthusiasm and desire to succeed but I still lack those crucial ingredients to make this dream come true. There is no substitute for expert advice on nutrician and training designed and adapted for my own special circumstances! The chance to share my journey with truly elite athletes would go beyond dreamland!!

• Options

Nick Name : Bunny - 39 years young.

Running History.

Always loved sport of some sort or another but running was never top of the agenda.Took up running 2007, race for life and loved it, joined the local club and started doing the race circuit.  Not fantastic bit of a rude awakening but getting faster with every race. Tried for this years FLM did not get a Ballot place so opted for running for MS society and got in.  Trained like a demon followed the RW 4 - 4.30 training plan.  I loved every bit of it, the training the long runs its was such a confidence booster.  Raised lots of money which really is a feel good factor in its self and had myself a great FLM.  I was on a high the whole way round.  My goal, get round, run the whole thing if I could and I did, and have a ball.  Time 4:10 -  A truly great experience that I would love to capture again.  This time though I would love to get under 4:00 

Reasons why you should train me:  I know just to knock 10 minutes or so of my time and to have another great run I need to up the anti, I have recently hit a plateau and can not seem to lift my game.  Help is required.

• Options

But I would also like to add "VOTE COOPS"

he is a top chap, and has been a super help to me the past few months and I think his race/training reports would be funny (albeit unprintable in the magazine)

• Options

Name: el-milligano

Running history:

I've been running for six years ever since I stopped smoking. I started off with 10ks, then did the Great North Run and that enticed me to do a full marathon for the first time. This was a major shock to the system and made me realise that proper training and preparation is everything! Since then I have completed several marathons with the best being Edinburgh in3hrs 28mins. I was aiming for approx. 3hrs 5mins in London last year but I became injured 3 weeks before the race and have only recently started to get fit again.

Reason why you should train me:

I trained exceptionally hard and regularly last year for London only to become badly injured just before the race when the 3 hr  time I have always aimed for was within my grasp. I need proper training advice to help me get in under 3 hrs while also protecting myself from getting another long term injur.

Predicted marathon time:

< 3hrs

• Options

Hi,

Lorna Buchan 28

A little scared to put myself forward for this but here goes....

....I began running in the gym after i realised how much off a buzz i got out of it after the run was finished. I continued and entered my first race which was the GNR in a time if 2.11 which was slower than i had managed in training. I did a few 10K runs but have never been able to push myself until i trained for the 2006 Edinburgh marathon. I did all my training outdoors (which on reflection was silly because it wasn't varied training). I completed it in 4.11 and i loved every minute of it (desite the pouring rain and wind!). Unfortunately i got injured from it and spent the next year visiting various people to get it sorted so my fitness dwindled quickly, and i missed the buzz. About 4months ago, i began to start exercising and so far, no injury problesms have returned. However, I want to complete this marathon quicker than my previous time but i cannot get my confidence back and am finding it hard to push myself. I did a 10k run yesterday (26/10) and i knew i could do it faster but something stops me pushing my body that extra step.  I would love the opportunity for someone to help my acheive my personal goal in a time i would feel happy and proud with!  My predicted time would, hopefully, be under 4hours.