Options

GULP just entered my first half marathon

Comments

• Options
    Good Luck FW!!!!! Hope all goes well.... image
  • Options

Morning everyone... image

I managed my longest run so far last night of 9 Miles image, am definately feeling like things are on track for my half now.. as there was still a bit of life left in my legs.. and didnt psych myself out once!!! image

Having just wished Ed Good Luck for his race.. just looked out of the window and I hope the weathers not too bad with all that mud and water going on.. am still jealous tho image 

Good Luck Foxy and SS!!!

Vik.. 11 weeks til your half... OMG.. better check mine... OH GOD.. Butterflies...

• Options

Yay to your long run faury imageimageimage how's  the hunger pains?  Still there when you hit the 45mins mark?

Good luck FW i'm sure you'll have a blast!!!

Man i'm so bored at work- think i'll resort to mapping new runs on mapmyrun later image

• Options

Pouring down and pretty windy here - did a steady five miler this morning- enjoyed it!

So, not jealous of tough guy/ fussy wimp/ Edster - I'm sure the sense of achievement afterwards will be worth the pain thou(!)

• Options

OK- So Slowsnail needs to change her name to NotsoSlowsnail.  I heard a rumour she did it in about 1:53?

She certainly looked like a racing snake, and that makes her the third Gulper I have officially met + crossing the RHM line with Romimage.

Race report- very brief.  Note to self for future- if you haven't trained, best not to attempt the race.  First 8/9 miles weren't too bad; paced myself carefully- last few were tragic. Legs are aching already, but lungs held out although burning in places.

As predicted a PW of 2:23 but in my defence it is meant to be a slow course. Very pretty and scenic though and apart from a couple of bridges, nice and flat.  I think I need to accept I'm not a summer long distance runner, this has proved it to me.  it is a nice race though and as usual very well organised for a Purple Patch Event.

No news of Ed/FW yet.......image

Right off for a long soak in a hot bath. Ice bath image NO way!

• Options

Fairyelephant - I've just got back from doing my first ever HM which I finished in 1:56.

I started running in January but recently my training has been horribly erratic! The only running I managed to get in during July was a 10k race at the start of the month and a 10 mile run last saturday, which was the furthst I'd ever run.

What I'm trying to say is that you sound like you are doing really well and if you are up to 9 miles and still have weeks and weeks until your race then I'm sure you'll be fine and dandy come race day.

Good luck to you. image

• Options

Well done not-so-slowsnail and FL and Dirty T on your HMs! And well done Fairy on your 9 miler. image

Nice run in the rain Princess.

Well, I survived! I won't go into too much detail at the moment as I'm just off to my parents for some dinner. I can't be ar$ed to cook tonight! I was cold and caked in mud, got kicked in the face (accidentally!), have cuts and bruises, knackered my knee in again and can hardly move my arms but finished in just under 3:30 and am officially a Toughguy! image

There's NO WAY that I'd do it in January as it was cold today! I would definitely do it again though. It was awesome!!

Team GULP for next July?

• Options

Well done all runners and riders.... Tough guy you rock! team gulp?! Hmmmm!image

• Options

Go on SP / PPB! You're nails and you know it! Queen of BMF, 2 mile vertical runs etc. You just have to be brave at walking the plank and jumping into muddy water from 20ft up in the air. Twice!
    Erm, and 20-odd other mad obsticles. You know you wanna! image

• Options
    Erm.. Don't think I do thou....
  • Options

Evening all,

WELL DONE TOUGH GUY!!! Ultimate respect for today image  Team gulp for next year , errrrr............ hmmmmmmmmm, maybe when they invent a mini non dangerous wimpy course alongside the main event I'll sign up image

Thank you so much for coming up to say hi Foxy and for being so friendly - I was really quite nervous waiting for the start and it was so nice to see a friendly face.  Great to put a face to a name too!  The rumour may have been right - my stopwatch was somewhere just under 1h54mins but something will have to be added onto that for getting through start etc.  Am not quite believing my watch at the minute as it is so far under my estimated time - so far, in fact, that OH and HLs were still swimming when I got to the end and I had no little people clapping image Whatever time though, I thought it was a fab run, really beautiful and lots of friendly people - both running and marshalling!  I'd definitely do it/another purple patch event again.

How was the double shift Vik?  Hope it went quickly rather than dragged on!

Off to drink wine and watch a movie now.  Think I ought to anaesthetise my aching limbs before attempting the stair climb to bed ......

• Options
    Awesome time slow, I mean runningsnail! And now you're too quick for your watch to cope with?! You'll have to buy a new one. image
  • Options

More concerned that a branch caused it to stop start or something - still feels like it should have read a longer time.  However, a garmin is being considered ...............

maybe once I register for a whole marathon, or, errrrr, for christmas!

• Options

OK, rather than me try and remember / describe the course from yesterday here's a link to a slightly OTT description of the course:-

http://www.toughguy.co.uk/?q=node/18135

Some of the obsticles can't really be described without pictures! I'll try and find some online and post links. Let's just say that it was fun* from climbing up a bank and sliding down on your ar$e  on the other side to start the race right up to the sprint finish to collect the TG medal. image

*and painful and cold

• Options

WOW GUYS...  SS/RS for the fab time... OMG how fast is that and Foxy, even tho you say you had rubbish time... its still still still think its great!!!! Im just hoping to get round at this point.... imageFW/ED... YAY.. TOUGHGUY NOW... GRRRRRRRR go TIGER image, definatley wanna see pics when you find some!!

SP/Princess - haha.. was hungry this week before I even got on and Id really scoffed a protein carbo enriched late lunch (dined at Carluccios in the Trafford Centre... YUM just gimme the prawns, antipasto and foccaciaimage). I started a thread last week 'To Gel or not to Gel' and as a result decided to buy some still lucozade, had a bit before and couple of gulps after an hour.. seemed okay, lasted the full 1 hour and 1/2 and wasnt ravenous straight after.. so maybe the carb drink does work for me, am still being advised off Mr Fairy (lol.. im so glad I chose this name.. Mr fairy YAY) that I should try Gels so that I can take a couple with me in Sept incase I hit 'The Wall' and plus theyre easier to carry than fluids!!??!!.. Hope work wasnt too long and drawn out... Steady 5 miler.. thats fab.. and yep the weather was cr*p yesterday..

Thanx Dirty Turkey image Well done on the under 2 hour mark and LR of just 10 miles... I would love to do something along those lines but know Il never manage it image.. just finishing it would be super, I live in hope!!

• Options

erm.. Okay.. could do with a bit of advice.. am I running before I can walk!!!???!! image

Have just looked at my training schedule for half marathon have only got 2 weeks left on it, wanted to accomplish the full 13 miles in plenty of time before race, you know how it is pyschological and all that... image However have done what I always do and have now printed off the Marathon Training Schedule.  I can in theory start it from today as the mileage in Week 1 is the same as my Half marathon schedule for this week (week 10)!! What I really want to know is.. am I wise to just jump in and start on it at this point....... image

PLEASE HELP... BEFORE I DROWN IN MY OWN OVER ENTHUSIASM..... image

• Options

I don't know FAiry but whatever you do build up slowly- a ran before I could walk and wanted to cover the 13 miles and ended up with a very sore foot and not running for two weeks image

The week before I moved house I swapped my training wees round 'cos Iknew I'd be busy the follwing week- and I attempted a 2hrs run i thought i'd reach the 13mile mark (my schedule back  then was in time miles) and even though it was just a week early I have never been in so much pain by mile 12 i acutally had to call OH to pick me up from bottom of the stairs of hisflat 'cos I couldn't walk up them!!!  Until then I didn't really belive the whole build up slowly or something will hurt!

In My MArathon for Mortals book it does say that if you start training for a marathon before 16 or 12weeks you run the risk of becoming stale.  Maybe print off another half marathon schdule but for a lower time maybe?

Off for plod with running buddy tonight!!  Then another double shift then 9miler planned for thursday as its my day off!!!

Well done Fussy Wimo- loved the non so white t shirt on FB!!  Well doneSLowsnail fab time!  Foxy well done too!

• Options

I don't know FAiry but whatever you do build up slowly- a ran before I could walk and wanted to cover the 13 miles and ended up with a very sore foot and not running for two weeks image

The week before I moved house I swapped my training wees round 'cos Iknew I'd be busy the follwing week- and I attempted a 2hrs run i thought i'd reach the 13mile mark (my schedule back  then was in time miles) and even though it was just a week early I have never been in so much pain by mile 12 i acutally had to call OH to pick me up from bottom of the stairs of hisflat 'cos I couldn't walk up them!!!  Until then I didn't really belive the whole build up slowly or something will hurt!

In My MArathon for Mortals book it does say that if you start training for a marathon before 16 or 12weeks you run the risk of becoming stale.  Maybe print off another half marathon schdule but for a lower time maybe?

Off for plod with running buddy tonight!!  Then another double shift then 9miler planned for thursday as its my day off!!!

Well done Fussy Wimo- loved the non so white t shirt on FB!!  Well doneSLowsnail fab time!  Foxy well done too!

• Options
    VikW wrote (see)

The week before I moved house I swapped my training wees round 'cos Iknew I'd be busy the follwing week

Training wees?! I haven't read about those on my HM Training Plan! image

My longest run before my one and only HM so far was 10 miles. I managed to get to 11 miles in the race before I couldn't feel my legs any more and it was a struggle towards the end! The last 2 and a bit miles was pure willpower.

• Options

Well done TOUGHGUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Awesomely impressed. 20ft jumps into muddy water? You rock!!

Foxy and Snail well done to you too, Foxy it might be your PW but it was still 5 mins quicker than my PB! Snail fabbo time, i shall just dream about that sort of number!

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

FE you need to build up the miles gradually, they reckon no more than 10% overall per week, my long runs go up by only a mile or so a week.

Still 11 weeks to the 4 parks eh Foxy? as long as that? HA as long as i can stick with the schedule on the treadmill on the ship it'll be ok. anyway i'll need to keep those zips zipping! People keep telling me to take elasticated waists for the 2nd week image

• Options

imageimageimage

training wees is that when you learn 'how to do a paula' just incase?

How are the injuries Toughguy?  Bet your HL is well impressed with hid dad

• Options

The cuts are healing, the fluid on my elbow is going down and my knee doesn't hurt to walk downstairs any more! image

I haven't spoken to HL since the race. I'll ring him later and tell him all about it. He'll be more interested in stealing my 'gold' medal! image

Working in Northern Ireland tomorrow so early start and late finish for me as it's a day trip! Booked Friday off, though, for another shopping trip. That'll be a nice end to the week. image

• Options

Well done fussy - sounds amazing. Do toughguys go shopping image

Also well done snail and FL.image

After my 1 aborted run last week made it out for 3.6 tonight and it wa slow and hard. Why does fitness take so long to get then vanish so fast?! Or am I just feeble. Should manage to fit in 4 runs this week but then 4 days of visitors then off to France for 2 weeks so will all go to pot again. Hey ho! Silver lining is that knee/leg not sore tonight so fingers crossed that problem may be resolved.

Off to the bath now having persuaded OH to do the ironingimage

• Options

Well done on your run Sally.

And of course Toughguys go shopping! Steel toe-cap boots and knuckledusters etc. image

• Options

Just back from a nice 6 miler with my running club - very motivating in a i'm terrifying slow kinda way...

Will you wear your medal whilst shopping? Nobody would believe it to look at you...

• Options

You saying that I LOOK like a wimp? I guess I can be surprisingly good at things then, eh? image

I think I'd look like a bit of a tool wearing a medal whilst shopping though. Maybe just the gloves and TG t-shirt. image

• Options

Morning all

Well done for getting out there Sally- it'll get easier, I couldn't do muchbefore I had to so to walk when I came back from my foot but managed to build up then it became mind over matter- well done for getting out though image

Managed 5miler with running buddy and might attempt 5miler including intervals tomorrow before work, but that depends on what time I get home tonight!

HAve strange image of Fussywimp walking round fruit and veg aisle looking like Mr T image

• Options

I pity the fool!! image

NIce to see that I'm not the only one awake at stupid o'clock today. Had to be up just after 4 to come to Manchester airport. Just in the departure lounge waiting for my flight to Belfast. It'll be my first ever working trip overseas. Even though it is still the UK. image
    There and back in a day which is nice. Should be back at this airport at about 8pm tonight all being well.

Now, do you think I'd look good with a Mr T mohican? I guess Julia knows what it's like living with Mr T all of the time! image

• Options
    And the great news is my knee is fine todayimage
  • Options
    VikW wrote (see

image Fab advice , I always get carried away, get fed up easily and want to move on to pastures new usually ending in catastrophe!! Did my Easy Run last night (3mile) usually at my slow run pace, but did as you suggested retyped in my training details putting a faster 10K time, put in 50 mins (real time)instead of 55mins (lol didnt want to overdo it) and the difference in the pace is quite a lot it now puts me at about 40 secs quicker pace for half marathon, hahaha.. it estimates me finishing it in 1.45 - 2hrs.. hahahahahahahahahaha... in reality I think not!!! Anyhow as it has now changed my original plan slightly it has given new meaning to it so alls well in my world... and OMG.. 9 miler mid week plus the other 5 milers... hmph, my legs still aching from Sat.. image

SB2.. my fitness vanished too earlier in the year after my 2 falls (both ankles and knees within weeks of each other, you couldnt have made it up!! ) Took me a while to get confidence back and everything to heal total 3 -4 months, only just started again 10 weeks ago and fitness back and beyond it, but it has been slow and steady and cofidence about going out is still somewhat shaky... so well done you.. braver than meimage and planning 4 runs this week..........

Hows the aches and pains today FW...? You still full of Elation from weekend.. grinning from ear to ear??

Thanx Julia.. Im still sticking to the advised mileage on the RW schedule I have, after the 9 miler on Saturday I wont be rushing to push the mileage any further than I have to if it isnt on the shedule.. cor that was hard work.. Legs were really aching yesterday, theyve not felt like that for a while!! Was good tho, grinning from ear to ear when approaching the 9 mile mark! Yay..

P.s Is there only me not in a running club?? image