Options

GULP just entered my first half marathon

Comments

• Options

Good morning all. 9 miles done and dusted, felt really good and i could have kept going image

Total miles for the month.....................115! Golly, no wonder my zips are zipping up!

image Darren the thinking of the HR man is to alternate your days between hard and easy. On the easy days he wants us to find as flat a route as possible and do our best to keep under our 70% and if that means walking then that's what we must do. He allows a bit of leeway so a few beats or so over here and there is ok, but if it's for more than 30 secs at a time then we should drop back to a walk. Apparently this stage should not last long however as our bodies adjust we should find it easier to stick to so in the end you ought to be able to go up them there hills keeping under the 70% image

I like this thread too, i read a thread about ' rude bitchy people' but i've never found any myself. If any decided to join us we would have to give them the silent treatment i reckon! image (i believe that is a zipped up mouth?)

Vikki well done on your 10 miler! is that your furthest distance so far? If so you will do HM no sweat image

I have loaded my i-pod with 5 discs worth of the hobbit audio book so that'll keep my mind occupied as the miles crank up!

And Mr T ran 3.5 miles today with only one 5 min walk break in the middle image Time to enter him into the 5k charity race in sept methinks! The swine will probably beat me as well!!!!

Ah well, off to work now, have a good day everyone

• Options

Congrats on the 9 and 10 miles Julia and Vik..image well done Ladies....

VikW wrote (see)

9 miler turned into 10 but it was good felt like I could have gone on further which I guess is a good sign!

Julia T wrote (see)

Good morning all. 9 miles done and dusted, felt really good and i could have kept going image

Total miles for the month.....................115! Golly, no wonder my zips are zipping up!

Although its not really helping me much hahaha.. am dreading my 10 miler, still aching from the 8 mile Speedwork on Wednesday.image

Have decided to try and get my 10 miler out of the way tonight rather than tomorrow (will keep you posted on the gel and whether it helps or not image, have asked Mr Fairy to make pre run carb drink again, definately think drinking that an hour before helped.. felt like I was flying!! lol) as the household is revolving around IMUK at the mo... gotta be up at some ungodly hour Sunday to be at Rivington before 6am... so Early night Sat... and then the kids are in for a treat weve got a nice 8 mile walk on Sunday from T1/T2 to the finish line.. thatl keep em occupied!! image

• Options

Afternoon Friendly Gulpers- there are a couple of scary threads out there at the moment, think we're just too nice for trolls to butt in! They probably just lurk insteadimage.

I ran todayimage. Last night I downloaded the HR Garmin HM plan and it said 3 miles steady (HR 146-156) which fits with HR book which said I should be keeping it under 155.  Went out with Mr FL (before anyone reports me to Social services HLs are away and it's VERY quiet and tidy here).  Left him behind about 3 mile mark and gradually sped up through the run. Legs were feeling good and average HR for the run was 146, with average 10.26mm and did just over 5 miles.   Really pleased with that after a rotten month; only done 45 miles this month so in awe of JT's 115miles.

Well done VikW- glad you found the garmin, phew.

Hi to everyone else; off to bake banana cake for returning HLs.image

• Options

Good luck with the 10miler FE what gel did you plump for in the end?

Well done on the running Foxy image

Wentout for slow 5miler this morning as a recovery run- very slow but I am now very stiff at work so rest day for me tomorrow!  been a busy couple weeks at work so its been a struggle fitting the running in but hopefully it'll get easier now!!! 

How are you finding the 5days a week Julia?

• Options

Only managed to fit in 2.2 today which sounds pitiful after the above. Still v ploddy at 11.33 but my excuse for the day is gave blood yesterday so a bit weak stillimage. Still better than nothing, eh?

Out for dinner tonight for father in law's birthday which should be nice then marshaling in the morning (fingers crossed not raining)

Great runing everyone and have nice Friday nights

• Options

Evening All,

Well my village and surrounding area has gone 'Iron man' crazy...taking place here on Sunday - think i'm gonna go and watch it - rude not to...

In other news - I've got some lunarglides... image

• Options
    I had a very productive and fun shopping trip today and I also got some Lunars! We should be Team GULP sponsored by Lunarglide. image
    I'll have to buy some more wheb the decent colours come over from the USA.

Well done on your runs all. And have fun at the Ironman on Sunday Princess and FE. Hope it doesn't rain!

*wanders off to check out all of his new purchases*
  • Options

FW sweat shop apparently have the mens in blue..... not sure what other colours they do!  mine should arrive tomorrow but I'm a double so can't try them out until sunday image

• Options

Why are you all going Nike craxy when I'm trying to get excited about MIzunos?

S'not fair. 

Sweat shop have an extra 10% off their sale until August 2nd BTW, was going to go in today but never got round to it.

Enjoy IM Princess Salty and FE.  SOunds greast fun for your HLs but think weather is meant to be OK, carp tomorrow though.

Another double Vik?  Are you doing overtime or is this usual?  You seems to be working awfully hard lately.

Well done Sally- slow and steady is the way back, plenty of time still.

Right, must do some w%£k..........

• Options

Well I'm not convinced, as a supinator, that they'd be any good for me so i'm happy to stick to my good old NB1063's ! Mind you, reckon i'm due a new pair soon so may see if there's anything else on offer..................image

Foxy image

FE hope your 10 miler went/is going well, have fun on sunday! and to you Princess. And good evening to everyone else image

• Options

Good running all and intersted how you get on with the Lunars there's a thread going on in the gear section and like marmite you either love them or not.

Well getting back into marathon mode tonight 21.11 miles at 9.55m/m Ave HR 142 had a wobbly bit at the 19 mile mark but dug deep,  had a drink (Isotonic) and all passed very quickly and back to being relaxed by 19.5 miles could of gone on tonight.  4 gels 4 jelly babies and about 250ml isotonic cosumed and ready for my spag. Bol. now.  P.S took my lovely Asics out tonight and they are well and truly dumped just cant believe how comfy these Lunars are hope it continues.

Have a good weekend all.  Take it nones racing.

• Options

We can swap our days off and work for each other and as I had lots of days off when we moved and over my Birthday its now payback time but after this week it should be back to normal.  But the OT has come back which is always a bonus but think i'll just give up one of my days off now rather thank double up so I can still fit in th running.  Have definitely said I'm not going to swap after August so I can concentrate on HM preparation and have definitely said no swaps from January as I'll be in training for a marathon- I just don't know wich one yet!

Wonder how FE is getting on!  Also ordered some new 3/4 running tight thingies and some new socks- hope they arrive after OH goes to work otherwise I can't say "oh but I've had these for ages......" image

Oh well off for bath and more marathon stories

• Options

WHOO HOO... image

Yay.. my first 10 miler went like a dream...

Okay.. in reality no it didn't... OMG.. legs were aching before I even started as missed my recovery run yesterday thru working late and moved my run a day forward... ARRGHH... image

Hmm.. positives.. I did it.. image

Negatives.. it was hard.. have upped my LSR pace too which didnt help.. the first 2 miles felt like id done 6... not good.. image However, nutrition on the go for this evening was VIKW:  1x SIS GO ISOTONIC GEL in ORANGE. Didnt have the carb drink before run as decided might be too much with trying the gel too.. had the gel at mile 5 (so that in the HM I can have one at mile 5 and mile 10 and carry another just in case), tasted great no probs, didnt struggle to consume it, didnt really get anything TBH... except after a couple of mins my legs felt bit weird, like theyd warmed up, the feeling lasted approx 1 1/2 mile.. Mr Fairy reckons didnt last that long as was taken on fairly empty stomach... there was nothing left in my tank for me to go on this evening... after mile 8 the only things that kept me going were the fact Id told you lot.. and the excitement in composing my FB status!!.. so sad.. but soooo very true!! hehe image

PP/SP... Il be looking out for you in your wonderwoman outfit, will you have a logo on your chest that says Princess Purple Bananahamma (Still wonder where on earth that name comes from!! lol)

SB2.. any running is better than no running.. image itl all add up..

GUTTED>>> GUTTED... hmph.. Lunarglides... AM SOOOOOO JEALOUS!!!! image

• Options

Well done FE imageimageimageits great getting into double figures isn't it!!  With the gels I  think a lot of it is mental anyway at the moment for me!

• Options

Good morning all - supposed to be on target for a 8 miler today, totally exhausted thou as youngest HL was sick SIX times in the night! Everywhere... She seems ok now, I on the other hand feel rubbish!

Well done on your 10 miler fairy - I don't dress as wonderwoman on a weekend, so I may be more difficult to spot - although I am bright purple!

Obviously yet to try out lunars but will feedback when I get chance to run.

• Options

Fantastic run FE, the extra 3 and a little bit will be easy after doing 10 so you will do the HM no sweat. Well actually you will probably sweat a lot but hey-ho!

Glad to hear we are motivation for you to complete the run, guess you didn't want to have to admit you didn't do it eh? image

Darren you are wonderful as always, i look forward to getting up to those distances myself......don't we Vikki! I hope we either both get into London or both not. Then at least we will have a familiar face. Although you are not familiar yet of course!

Sorry to hear about your HL Princess, let's hope it's nothing catching...............

Off for a 4 mile easy one tonight then packing as we are going to the IOW tomorrow so i shall be absent for the week.

Happy running everyone, cheerio image

• Options

Shall I try and keep order in your absnece JT, or shall we let them go off their Lunarglide rails as usual?

Rest day today 6 miles planned tomorrow.

• Options

Evening All

Have a good week JT hope the weather improves.  You will have no trouble getting upto 20 miles and beyond, You can train at a lower HR than meimage.  See you at VLM hopefully.

FL - Good luck with keeping order some are doubting the Lunarglides so will be interesting to see how we all get on with them.

Hope HL and yourself are  O.K PP/SP nothing worse than HL's being poorly.

Fairyelephant -Well done on your 10 miler when is your HM? It will be no trouble now.

• Options

Evening Guys.. image

Just a brief drop in as am off to bed in a mo.. when the false tan dries anyway!! lol.. Nice and quiet at this end all in bed cept for yours truly (typical image), 1.30am get up to be at IMUK for 4.00am.. hmm.. image 

Sounds like everyone is running well lately which is fab!! DC3... OMG... 9.55 MM.. jeeze, my HM pace at the mo is 9.48...image am in awe of you... *kneels and waves hand up and down*

SP/PP... LMAO.. bet Im as Red as you are Purple then!! .. if you spot a 4'10 petite Longhaired bottle Redhead looking in her 40's but really in her 30's image (wearing a red top and denim shorts) looking harassed and chastising 3 Ginger Haired children on a regular basis , then thatl be ME!! image 

Have a fab weekend all...

• Options

You can but try Foxy but i doubt even your exceptional chair skills will be up to the task.......image

Have fun on the six miles. I skipped the 4 miler today as it's been piddling down all evening. Lovely weather for a UK holiday image I've packed my bikini just in case image 

Hope you all have a good week, off to finish packing............................

• Options

imageJT. I can but try!

Have a fab time. Can't believe you skipped a run, saving yourself for some IOW hills maybe. 

Incidentally HR Monitoring for the Compleat Idiot sent me to sleep again this afternoon. It's magical!

Also I just downloaded the same Garmin plan as last time, albeit using the HR version and it has HILL sessions in it. For at least 3 consecutive weeks (haven't looked any further). Never used to have them when I did it before. And where am I going to find a 2minute hill round here, even at my slow pace?

FE- do you dye your hair to match your HLs?

• Options
    Julia T wrote (see)

I skipped the 4 miler today as it's been piddling down all evening.

Thats not the way is it!! Tut tut... shame on you..image
    Have a fab holiday Julia image

FL.. Hahaha.. NO i dont!! image

P.s. Tried Gatorade for the first time yesterday, just in case its all they have at the HM... what the hell is that stuff...bleurch.. how salty!!!! image

• Options

Have a great hol Julia

Wow DC - sounds tough

Just 2.67 at 11.33 this morning. Felt a bit better doing it and knee still OK. Hoping to squeeze a couple in this week before go to France on Satimage, as decided not to take runing stuff as if I'm being honest I know I won't do much whilst away

I wish there were no hils here FL

• Options

Gatorade = image

Have goo dholiday JT even though I might be too late!

Enjoy Ironman guys

Off for 4 miler in a min before work!  Lunarglides haven't arrived yet but hope they come tomorrow for start of new training week image

• Options

Afternoon!image

Plan said 6 miles steady. Actual= 7 mile steady.  Mostly had HR in required range.  Nice day for it and some nice off road running for major part. Lungs still not great when running anything remotely challenging.image

Rest tomorrow, might try and squeeze a cycle in if time, then hills session on Tuesday.

Hope work is OK today Vik and hope the IMers are having fun; good weather for it.

Managed another couple of chapters of HRMTFTCI before I nodded off again.  Sure I'll get there in the end.

Heh FW- have you run since TG or are you still waiting for the nettle stings to heal?

Happy running everyone.

• Options

FL? Doing HILLS?!! *faints* image

I haven't actually been for a run since last Sunday, no. Although I've done two cross training sessions. Should've gone tonight but a huge slice of banoffee pie won the battle instead. Man, it was GORGEOUS!
    I'll definitely go tomorrow night! Need to pull my finger out as it's 10 weeks til Team GULP meet up! image

• Options

Good Evening All

4.5 miles done - easy day legs a little heavy after Friday but fine now.  Took the Lunars out for a second spin today and I really hope that I can get the mileage out of them because they seemed fantastic. 

Banoffee Pie must go down as carb loading.

• Options

mmmmmmmmmmmmm banoffee pie yummy!  The burger Oh bought home from kebab shop last night was carbo loading too (had nothing to with me having a pants day at work pants run and then treading in dog poo- lucky i didn't have the lunars)

Going to try and do my long run tomorrow morning early before my late late shift at work- 10miler and that frees up my day off so I can chill and relax!  To be honest Ive found it a bit of a struggle fitting in all the runs, guess I'll just have to play it by ear now works calmed down! 

*****Looks and dark cloud hanging over head********  Ah well hopefully it won't be there tomorrow and I'll have a better week !!!

• Options

*ducks head out from hiding and looks around*  Morning all.

Shameful admission - I've still not been for a run since last weekend image  But am DEFINITELY going tonight.  If I don't, you can eat my share of the picnic at royal parks.........

Read back a  few pages to catch up - WELL DONE FE on cracking the ten miles.  It's amazing to get into double figures isn't it image

Darren - how exciting is that!!!!!  A marathon on 6th Sept, wow!

Everyone else seems to have been doing some awesome running too, unlike me..... So, what's all the gatorade/lucozade talk?  Is there to be an energy drink rather than water at parks??  I missed the start of the conversation.

Guess I should start thinking about training for Oct now - what do people do when you've just finished training for one half and have another in ten weeks or so - do you all design schedules with speed work adn long runs which start short again and build up to 13m or do you keep doing 10/11 miles over the interim period (which, frankly, sounds exhausting....)

Just quick proud parent moment - two HLS (5 and 3) survived camping, late nights with BBQs, early mornings (5am ......) and long walks WITHOUT MELT DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!  And to FL - do you remember the really nice looking pub in Cookham, about mile 4 of Down Tow?   Well, we were camping that way and can confirm it is worth a stop off if you're at Up tow next year image

• Options

Good Morning Guys image

Had fab day yesterday (congrats to MR FAIRY image)... those people totally put me to shame with my 10 miler (that im still chuffed to bits about.. oh yay!) There was all sorts of shapes and sizes competing, OMG oldest guy 73 image, squashes my thoughts tho that all Ironmen/Ironwomen have the perfect athletic figures and look as mean as.. GRRRRR image Had the HL's up at 2.45am and they walked all the way from Rivington to Bolton Town Centre (just over 8 miles!!) Go my ginger ninjas (4, 7 and 8)... *beams proudly* image RS.. Im totally with you on that.. weved not tried camping yet.. but yep, that age can be a bit unpredictable, congrats on having a fab time!!!

Fab mileage everyone (FL.. off roading, I need to do some desperately!!!), really must get some more running done, will see later, altho got packing to do before tomorrow am, off on jollys to Barcelona for 5 days.. taking trainers tho as MR FAIRY will need to do some recovery work, and the prospect of beach running, well.............

RS. Gatorade is what theyre seeming to have lately at some races dispersed with water at stations.. yuk tho image, but am attempting to try and stomach it in case its all they have and I need an enery boost!!

Banoffee Pie... Yum.. Il just stick to my healthy crunchynut clusters with chocolate chips!!.. I know.. I know.. yuk image but not going food shopping til next weekend!!

Have great day guys.. OMG. just realised its Monday, feel like Ive lost a day!! image